• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

DRGN

Technowizard
More costumes!

- by DRGN.png

Name: White & Gold Zelda
Made by: DRGN
Modulous page: https://modulous.net/mod/1336/White & Gold Zelda

- by DRGN.png

Name: Evening Gown Zelda
Modulous page: https://modulous.net/mod/1337/Evening Gown Zelda

Do you just open it in dat texture wizard and change them like any other texture?

edit: I did it and it worked! Only problem, if you modified your start.dol prior, the game breaks after putting it in dat texture wizard. But on a fresh 4.05 dol it works flawless from what I can tell.
I haven't seen this. What kind/version of the game (i.e. 20XX, vanilla?), and what version of DTW? Is it reproducible?

daretodair

Smash Rookie
Endless friendlies question, is there a way to switch characters inbetween each match or do you have l+r+a+start to switch?

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
More costumes!

View attachment 126288

Name: White & Gold Zelda
Modulous page: https://modulous.net/mod/1336/White & Gold Zelda

View attachment 126289

Name: Evening Gown Zelda
Modulous page: https://modulous.net/mod/1337/Evening Gown Zelda

I haven't seen this. What kind/version of the game (i.e. 20XX, vanilla?), and what version of DTW? Is it reproducible?
The first time I did it, it was with the marth color sword trails start.dol for 4.05 on the latest version DTW. 2nd time on a vanilla start.dol which worked. 3rd time on unclepunch's stage pack start.dol and it worked. I'll do more testing on the Marth start.dol, might have forgot to check "don't use game toc" but I'm pretty sure I had it on.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
So with the help of the amazing Milun Milun I edited Fox's face to resemble Brawl Wolf a little more closely.
His nose/snout has been made a little shorter, extended his cheeks to resemble Wolf's tufts, and two vertices to look like his tuft on his chin.
It includes a CSP I made, and files to replace every color.
Also this is the Wolf texture from this thread/modulous. I wish I could credit him properly - but if he's out there let me know who he is! I thought about doing my own, but these appear to be Brawl textures retrofitted for Fox so it's way better than anything I could make.

Name: Fox (Wolf) Model Edit
Made by: Joakim, Milun, Uncredited maker of the Wolf texture
Modulous page: https://modulous.net/mod/1340/Fox (Wolf) Model Edit (CSP Included)
I combined this with Steelia's eye patch edit:

GALE01-24.png

I'm not really sure I got JUST the eyepatch though. I basically just did some binary comparisons, and with some guess & check found this section in the eye patch model edited file (on the right) and copied it over:

hex visual.png

(Btw, if anyone knows of a good visual binary comparison tool, let me know.)

So I'm not sure if I actually copied data for other vertices as well. I tried to follow some structures to determine the exact data, but ran into a dead end with a data pointer of zero. I assume the texture for the mouthpiece (which is used to make the eyepatch) is the one at 0x22500. From that, DTW leads us to a mesh struct at 0x1c040, with a vertex attribute data array pointer of 0000d3d4. Adding 0x20 to that for the file header and going to the end of that struct, for the 'dataOffset' value, is where I find the dead end pointer of zero. Is that relative to something rather than a file absolute pointer, or is there another trail I should be following?

_yuna _yuna Milun Milun @Steelia

I'd like to know not just for this, but for future meddling as well.

Last edited:

Milun

Smash Ace

View attachment 126593

I'm not really sure I got JUST the eyepatch though. I basically just did some binary comparisons, and with some guess & check found this section in the eye patch model edited file (on the right) and copied it over:

View attachment 126594

So I'm not sure if I actually copied data for other vertices as well. I tried to follow some structures to determine the exact data, but ran into a dead end with a data pointer of zero. I assume the texture for the mouthpiece (which is used to make the eyepatch) is the one at 0x22500. From that, DTW leads us to a mesh struct at 0x1c040, with a vertex attribute data array pointer of 0000d3d4. Adding 0x20 to that for the file header and going to the end of that struct, for the 'dataOffset' value, is where I find the dead end pointer of zero. Is that relative to something rather than a file absolute pointer, or is there another trail I should be following?

Sorry chief, can't help you there. I don't know any of the terminology (or even why it works sometimes :p). My best guess is that if you did copy over some vertices, they weren't the ones that were edited to make the Wolf skin (they were just vanilla Fox's). Hence why nothing went wrong.

Achilles1515

Smash Master

View attachment 126593

View attachment 126594

It's just a pointer to 0x20 in the file.

DRGN

Technowizard
It's just a pointer to 0x20 in the file.
I randomly looked up a bunch of different pointers though, and they all point there (this is in Fox's Neutral costume btw). And to confirm we're talking about the right struct, I'm referring to the value that follows Scale, [unknown], and Stride, in the Vertex Attribute Array; the last value (a pointer) in that struct.

But now I'm not sure I'm interpreting the structures correctly. I'm reading @revel8n's "melee dat format" thread on the matter. I'm in the third post, on the ATTR_DATA struct. It looks like the vertexAttrArray pointer in POBJ_Data (the Mesh Struct) is actually pointing to a list of multiple Vertex Attribute Array structures, not just a single structure as I first thought. But still, I see multiple of these (within the same list, and also from other mesh structures entirely) all with a dataOffset of zero. So it seems my underlying question remains the same. Even if that is simply the start of the data block, why would they all be pointing to the same data? Maybe I'm just not understanding what the data in this location is supposed to be. It is vertex data, or would that really be in the Display List? I originally thought that the data pointed to by the Vertex Attribute Array structures would be data specific to that one particular mesh. Is it actually that the game renders a small part of a mesh, and then re-uses that repeatedly in several different meshes across various separate parts of the model? Maybe to reduce mesh creation overhead and save on processing? So does the game just create all meshes -or all unique subdivisions of the meshes that will be used in the model- up front, and then once that's done, pulls copies that set to build the full model?

For any explanation, keep in mind for your term usage that I have no background in game modeling. So I don't even know what a "primitive" is. I'd guess it's some sub-component of a mesh, like a point, but with attributes. Guess that's something for me to google later when I have more time.

Edit: Ah. So the most succinct definition of a primitive I could find is, "predefined polygonal meshes created by the modeling environment."

Last edited:

Giraphe

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1821-9946-0555
Yo apparently mang0 had a melee build made for summit 3.5 and the stadium yellow bar and red triangles are removed / a different color. I didn't know we could do this yet can i get a guide

_yuna

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 126593

View attachment 126594

Wish I could help but I'm just a dunce with a very basic understanding of Blender. Milun did 99.9999% of the work and he's the only reason the model got extracted and re-imported.

RushSSBM

Smash Cadet
Is there any way to sort all the melee textures on modulous by character, skin, stage, etc? It would be so easy to organize them, I myself would volunteer to go through all the melee textures to sort them if I had access or something, but it's really hectic since neither this thread nor the modulous page are THE hub for all textures and there's still so hard to locate specific textures if you don't already know where it is especially for the newer ones

curious cause I'm trying to find the blue yoshi's texture that mang0 is streaming on and like I can't find anything

Last edited:

Krusteaz

Smash Apprentice
Is there any way to sort all the melee textures on modulous by character, skin, stage, etc? It would be so easy to organize them, I myself would volunteer to go through all the melee textures to sort them if I had access or something, but it's really hectic since neither this thread nor the modulous page are THE hub for all textures and there's still so hard to locate specific textures if you don't already know where it is especially for the newer ones

curious cause I'm trying to find the blue yoshi's texture that mang0 is streaming on and like I can't find anything
All of the textures on Mango's stream right now are unreleased, and there is a search bar on Modulous that sorts the skins by tags, which all uploaded textures should have.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I randomly looked up a bunch of different pointers though, and they all point there (this is in Fox's Neutral costume btw). And to confirm we're talking about the right struct, I'm referring to the value that follows Scale, [unknown], and Stride, in the Vertex Attribute Array; the last value (a pointer) in that struct.

But now I'm not sure I'm interpreting the structures correctly. I'm reading @revel8n's "melee dat format" thread on the matter. I'm in the third post, on the ATTR_DATA struct. It looks like the vertexAttrArray pointer in POBJ_Data (the Mesh Struct) is actually pointing to a list of multiple Vertex Attribute Array structures, not just a single structure as I first thought. But still, I see multiple of these (within the same list, and also from other mesh structures entirely) all with a dataOffset of zero. So it seems my underlying question remains the same. Even if that is simply the start of the data block, why would they all be pointing to the same data? Maybe I'm just not understanding what the data in this location is supposed to be. It is vertex data, or would that really be in the Display List? I originally thought that the data pointed to by the Vertex Attribute Array structures would be data specific to that one particular mesh. Is it actually that the game renders a small part of a mesh, and then re-uses that repeatedly in several different meshes across various separate parts of the model? Maybe to reduce mesh creation overhead and save on processing? So does the game just create all meshes -or all unique subdivisions of the meshes that will be used in the model- up front, and then once that's done, pulls copies that set to build the full model?

For any explanation, keep in mind for your term usage that I have no background in game modeling. So I don't even know what a "primitive" is. I'd guess it's some sub-component of a mesh, like a point, but with attributes. Guess that's something for me to google later when I have more time.

Edit: Ah. So the most succinct definition of a primitive I could find is, "predefined polygonal meshes created by the modeling environment."
You seem to be looking at the structures correctly. I don't know much about the models in this file, but if two objects are going to be using the same mesh data, you can point their data pointers to the same file location. I don't think this saves on "processing" per se, but simply allows for a smaller file size. I've never actually worked with a Mesh Attribute Structure using the CP_TYPE - Direct, but I believe this means the vertex data is defined within the DisplayList itself rather than having a pointer to the data. In this case, the data pointer in the Mesh Attribute Structure may be null (and not in the relocation table?), but again...I've never actually worked with any models that use that format. I think Zankyou said it is used for characters models a lot.

DRGN

Technowizard
GALE01-21.png

Name: Galaxy Yoshi
Modulous page: https://modulous.net/mod/1369/Galaxy Yoshi

- by DRGN.png

Name: Magenta Yoshi
Modulous page: https://modulous.net/mod/1368/Magenta Yoshi

You seem to be looking at the structures correctly. I don't know much about the models in this file, but if two objects are going to be using the same mesh data, you can point their data pointers to the same file location. I don't think this saves on "processing" per se, but simply allows for a smaller file size. I've never actually worked with a Mesh Attribute Structure using the CP_TYPE - Direct, but I believe this means the vertex data is defined within the DisplayList itself rather than having a pointer to the data. In this case, the data pointer in the Mesh Attribute Structure may be null (and not in the relocation table?), but again...I've never actually worked with any models that use that format. I think Zankyou said it is used for characters models a lot.
Ah, I see what you're saying. That makes sense. And some of them do use the Direct type, but also some of them do not and still have a pointer of zero.
Man, with how much I learned just from a few days ago on meshes though, it makes me want to start writing something for them. Of course I still have a pretty full plate ATM though. Although it is starting to thin....

Is there any way to change teh shape of the shine? Idk if this question goes in the other effects thread
Wellll, it's not texture related. :p To semi-answer your question though, I actually have no idea. I certainly haven't seen a hack like that.

how do i get the new falco cloud9 skin bc the link give me the classic?
Have you tried Modulous?

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I am trying to make a clean black background on battlefield and FD however some spark-like objects still remain and the effects does not show up in the stage file using Dat Texture Wizard.
Can someone help me archive my goal?

Insolar

Smash Rookie
View attachment 126682

Name: Galaxy Yoshi
Modulous page: https://modulous.net/mod/1369/Galaxy Yoshi

View attachment 126683

Name: Magenta Yoshi
Modulous page: https://modulous.net/mod/1368/Magenta Yoshi

Ah, I see what you're saying. That makes sense. And some of them do use the Direct type, but also some of them do not and still have a pointer of zero.
Man, with how much I learned just from a few days ago on meshes though, it makes me want to start writing something for them. Of course I still have a pretty full plate ATM though. Although it is starting to thin....

Wellll, it's not texture related. :p To semi-answer your question though, I actually have no idea. I certainly haven't seen a hack like that.

Have you tried Modulous?
got it, thanks :)

PeteyPiranha

Smash Rookie
NNID
GoddessOfFlowers
I am srsly way too good for this. 40 in one day. I'm pooped. :p
Purin Bandana Pack! 20 Different Purin Bandana Recolors!

All Bandanas over Bandana Purin (PlPrGr.dat)
* Bandanas are made by Doqtor Kirby in Melee Toolkit. Bandana image textures included.
Download the Purin Bandana Pack via Dropbox.

What should I do next guys: Crown, Flower, or Kirby?
help, i want to get in to modding Melee but i dont have any idea of where to start ;w;

SSBM_Blizzard

Smash Rookie
Could someone make a new TSM fox skin to represent their current look? There was one on Mango's Summit 3.5 that has a grey jacket with dark pants and it looks amazing.

kanbaru

Smash Rookie
View attachment 125129
Name: Eirika (replaces blue)
Author: Me
Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/wmtt7scbnb2za1j/lasagnaismyfavoritefood.dat

I've had this one kept since May, hope you guys like it.
I know @Tablesalt made an Eirika skin and a Roy one exists but does anyone know of any other Fire Emblem character skins for Marth?

I'd kill for some GBA era skins like Florina/Ephraim/Hector/Lyn/Cormag/Marisa. If none exists who can I talk to about a project like this?

all i want in life is Ephraim in melee

Last edited:

DirtyPenny

Smash Rookie
I was wondering if someone could make a Dr. Pepper fox/falcon skin. Maybe with the logo on the back? I love Dr. Pepper and am even debating getting a tattoo of the logo somewhere. Cheers!

Gasher

Smash Rookie
Hey Gasher Gasher , I haven't made a skin in a while and thought making yours would be fun. This is what I have right now, how does this look?
this looks absolutely amazing! Thanks for giving it a try, i tried doing it myself but im not good at it :D. i dunno what to say, it looks insanely good!

Michael Ashby

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
GIN#752

Gasher

Smash Rookie
These look really nice dood GJ! Im gonna install the overwatch skins even tho i dont play the chars lol!

Top Bottom