• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

Curbyy

Smash Rookie
Oh, yeah, I knew about the sword; I saw you post in the other thread. I just happened to post here instead. :p

Marth Vader is a skin Charc0al (CFMV) already made, found here. It's pretty good. I have my own slightly altered version where I removed the sheath though. And now I've changed the sword to this new one too. Here's a copy of that (just rename the extension to .dat; had to name it that to attach it):
Ahh wow Marth Vader is sick! Thanks for your modfied version. Btw if you didnt already do it and i'm not mistaken with what i see on the images of Marth Vader, the lightsaber could aso be improved by changing ambience and diffusion color of the blade to FFFFFF, this takes away the grey shroud, makes it a bit shinier.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Ahh wow Marth Vader is sick! Thanks for your modfied version. Btw if you didnt already do it and i'm not mistaken with what i see on the images of Marth Vader, the lightsaber could aso be improved by changing amience and diffusion color of the blade to FFFFFF, this takes away the grey veil, makes it a bit shinier.
Oh, good call!

Btw, something I just noticed, is that the cape appears to have some parts removed, noticeable only if you look at it from the inside. Not sure if this was intentional or whether by you or @Milun. Looks like it's due to the mesh structure at 0x1db40, which is the third mesh struct on object 63 in the Structural Analysis tab. That mesh's Display List Blocks is zeroed out, but should be 0008.

GALE01-5.png

Also, the offscreen (magnifier) textures 0x5cd20 and 0x5d120 appear to be the original costume's colors. It's not real noticeable, but he does appear to change color a bit when he goes offscreen (particularly the portion of his cape on his chest).

Curbyy

Smash Rookie
Oh, good call!

Btw, something I just noticed, is that the cape appears to have some parts removed, noticeable only if you look at it from the inside. Not sure if this was intentional or whether by you or @Milun. Looks like it's due to the mesh structure at 0x1db40, which is the third mesh struct on object 63 in the Structural Analysis tab. That mesh's Display List Blocks is zeroed out, but should be 0008.

View attachment 125077

Also, the offscreen (magnifier) textures 0x5cd20 and 0x5d120 appear to be the original costume's colors. It's not real noticeable, but he does appear to change color a bit when he goes offscreen (particularly the portion of his cape on his chest).
good call aswell! :D

The removed parts in the cape came with Miluns model i think, but i wasnt sure about it when i noticed it. Also i thought it was a good trade :D. Thanks for fixing! Would have took me a while to find that.
Ah yeah **** i totally forgot about the low poly thing. I'm gonna fix both things and edit the files on modulous tomorrow, im kinda sleepy right now.

EDIT: alright, a version with fixed cape and proper offscreen textures is on modulous now :)

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Wanted to bump this list.

Interested in making a new costume? I've been spending a lot of time going through all of them, and found that there are a few characters that still have few or no good ones for some colors. Here are the ones that could still use some love!

Kirby - Green
Jiggs - Red
ICies - Green complete
Samus - Green
Sheik - Green
Zelda - All (found a bunch of ideas for her here)
YLink - Red
Roy - Red, Green
Pichu - Green

Looking to fill in some of those extra 20XX alts. Main foci: quality/detail, and that the general colors of the costume actually match the color slot.

@Milun @Minerali @VikingSteeez C Curbyy @Steelia @UnclePunch @yung hahn Acryte Acryte @RammyZs @Fakes - Or anyone

And I might as well add: if someone reading this happens to have the Jester Young Link, let me know.

First time doing this

Pink Shine + purple firefox
gonna update the firefox to pink in the future.

Download:
https://modulous.net/mod/1276/Pink shine + Purple firefox
Cool. Good place to post this would be the 'Effects' thread though.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Check the OP for proper formatting, these are dank and I wouldn't want anyone to miss them because they didn't get added over formatting.
At this point, formatting is more like just tradition, since the OPs likely won't be updated anymore. So we've started advocating for Modulous.net, so that costumes can be easily found without having to search through this whole thread. Even if the OPs were up to date with everything, using Modulous would still be better. There are still a lot of textures in this thread (and even some not in this thread) that need to be uploaded to Modulous, but I think by this point a majority of them are on there.

Last edited:

Charmilio

Smash Apprentice
At this point, formatting is more like just tradition, since the OPs likely won't be updated anymore. So we've started advocating for Modulous.net, so that costumes can be easily found without having to search through this whole thread. Even if the OPs were up to date with everything, using Modulous would still be better. There are still a lot of textures in this thread (and even some not in this thread) that need to be uploaded to Modulous, but I think by this point a majority of them are on there.
Bummer. I have a certain affinity for checking in on this thread every few days to see what's new. Not to mention a broader discussion about melee hacking is kind of difficult there, but I guess that's why this thread is still around.

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Bummer. I have a certain affinity for checking in on this thread every few days to see what's new. Not to mention a broader discussion about melee hacking is kind of difficult there, but I guess that's why this thread is still around.
Yup. I'll still be posting my new things in this thread as well as uploading to Modulous. And this is still a great place for questions/opinions/suggestions, etc. too.

kanbaru

Smash Rookie
I posted this in the color effects thread but just in case

Is there anyone that could by any chance send me a Marth PIMs.dat with all light pink/peach sword effects including things like neutral b?

oscat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlnklngmars
3DS FC
0318-9801-6641
I posted this in the color effects thread but just in case

Is there anyone that could by any chance send me a Marth PIMs.dat with all light pink/peach sword effects including things like neutral b?
They'd have to make it first

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Pikachu looks really weird without his ears.

GALE01-8.png

I did this for @Milun's old Soldier Pikachu costume hack, because his ears used to be visible sticking out of the helmet. I also made some different helmet textures:

Green Helmet 2.0.png

Name: Soldier Pikachu 2.0
Made by: Milun, DRGN
Modulous page: https://modulous.net/mod/1290/Soldier Pikachu 2.0

This is made for his Green slot (normally the cowboy hat). Included are 3 variations. One with a standard brown helmet (like that of the Soldier from TF2), a green helmet using Milun's original textures, and a new helmet using my own textures (Green Helmet 2, shown above).

KenyaBoy

Smash Rookie
GUYS I"M DOING STAGE HACKS

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN IMPORT ONE STAGE OVER A TOTALLY DIFFERENT STAGE???

LIKE TAKE A FINAL D STAGE AND PUT IT OVER FOUNTAIN????

HOW DO I DO THIS PLEASE IVE BEEN TRYING FOREVER lots of different ways with IDs etc

thank you guys :)

PrinceJohn

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
PRJN#560

Giraphe

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1821-9946-0555
So I'm trying to up the production value of my local scenes melee content and specifically the melee thumbnails amd in the VGBC thumbnails
they use what seem to be csps so maybe one of you guys have the character portraits or maybe even made them or can make something similar

Acryte

Smash Ace
If you have an .iso already you can extract all using the DAT Tool Wizard. They're located in the file with the description "Character Select". You can just extract all and snag them, or select them as a group and then extract selection. There may be a zipped version floating around out there, but this seems the easiest if you already have the tools.

Giraphe

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1821-9946-0555
If you have an .iso already you can extract all using the DAT Tool Wizard. They're located in the file with the description "Character Select". You can just extract all and snag them, or select them as a group and then extract selection. There may be a zipped version floating around out there, but this seems the easiest if you already have the tools.
nah not vanilla csps like the ones that they use or other ones that are stylized so thy look decent on a match thumbnail

Acryte

Smash Ace

Acryte

Smash Ace
Can you please tell me how you did this? I have been trying forever to change my ISO's banner but I just can't seem to do it
I have included an instructions for it in the zip. You basically need to replace opening.bnr with a custom one that can be created using the gcbanner tool which converts a .tga file to a .bnr file. All this has already been done. Just extract the iso using gcrebuilder, replace that file in the root directory, save and rebuild it. Dolphin won't update the image though if you haven't changed the name of the file. Rename the iso, refresh dolphin, then change the name back.

Krusteaz

Smash Apprentice
I have included an instructions for it in the zip. You basically need to replace opening.bnr with a custom one that can be created using the gcbanner tool which converts a .tga file to a .bnr file. All this has already been done. Just extract the iso using gcrebuilder, replace that file in the root directory, save and rebuild it. Dolphin won't update the image though if you haven't changed the name of the file. Rename the iso, refresh dolphin, then change the name back.
Ah whoops, I should have worded that better. I mean how did you go about creating your own opening.bnr, I have had lots of trouble with the gcbanner tool itself, and the only guide that I could find was not very helpful

20$$.png
This is the image I'm trying to convert. It's the correct dimensions and is in 8 bit RGB just like how it's supposed to be

Last edited:

Acryte

Smash Ace
The problem with the instructions for the GCBanner is that it worded it backwards. You have to put the image.bnr first and then the banner.tga afterwards.

8-bit rgb? I just saved my .tga as 24-bit. It displays properly. 32 bit didn't though.

For example: gcbanner.exe b image.bnr banner.tga

Also... props on the Ganon$. I always say Ganon $ when he puts his fist up, looks like he has a dollar sign on it. I was planning on making a cash money Ganon at some point with the dollar signs on the back of his hands.

Last edited:

Marimbeats

Smash Rookie
Someone a little back made an Arizona Fox, and I figured i'd update it to seem a bit more planned

upload_2017-1-28_18-15-10.png

Last edited by a moderator:

KenyaBoy

Smash Rookie
GUYS I HAVE ANOTHER BIG IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!

I"M MAKING A MOD PACK BY SFAT'S REQUEST AND WANT TO KNOW IF I CAN PUT ANY SKINS / STAGE TEXTURES ON A NETPLAY ISO AND DO NETPLAY???

I GET MANY YESSES AND NO'S AND EVERYBODY SAYS CONFLICTING THINGS.......

CAN ANY OF THE TEXTURES IN THIS THREAD WORK WHILE DOING NETPLAY ONLINE??? THX!!!

Last edited:

Extinct

Smash Rookie

I"M MAKING A MOD PACK BY SFAT'S REQUEST AND WANT TO KNOW IF I CAN PUT ANY SKINS / STAGE TEXTURES ON A NETPLAY ISO AND DO NETPLAY???

CAN ANY OF THE TEXTURES IN THIS THREAD WORK WHILE DOING NETPLAY ONLINE??? THX!!!

I have tried character textures and yes they work without issues. I haven't tried stage textures yet though so i can't say if they work but they should.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Updated CSP: "Ganon - Into the Shadow Realm"

Cleaned up the right and upper sides so it doesn't completely overlap the port window, darkened the shadow, adjusted the contrast and brightness as appropriate. Looks much better.

This tileset hasn't been updated... The pictures are more colorful and adjusted like the one above.

Also made a new CSP.

Luigi - Weegee Dabs

https://smashboards.com/threads/css-csp-redux.444633/

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
Updated CSP: "Ganon - Into the Shadow Realm"

Cleaned up the right and upper sides so it doesn't completely overlap the port window, darkened the shadow, adjusted the contrast and brightness as appropriate. Looks much better.

This tileset hasn't been updated... The pictures are more colorful and adjusted like the one above.

Also made a new CSP.

Luigi - Weegee Dabs

https://smashboards.com/threads/css-csp-redux.444633/
It's not really a big deal, but posting your CSPs to just one of the CSP threads would help keep things organized.

CSPs have their own threads because they're a large subcategory of textures. Having everything together, or especially information in multiple places, makes for more content to go through when looking for things. Also, anyone subscribed to the CSP threads and this thread get more than one notification for the same thing.

Nice CSPs though, btw. :)

Last edited:

Acryte

Smash Ace
Okay. I thought this thread was for all types of texture hacks. These central threads typically get more traffic. I'll refrain from posting here I suppose.

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
I'm up way too late. Oh well.

- by DRGN.png

Name: ICies Combat Uniforms
Made by: DRGN
SSBM Textures: https://ssbmtextures.com/characters/combat-armor-ice-climbers/

Ah whoops, I should have worded that better. I mean how did you go about creating your own opening.bnr, I have had lots of trouble with the gcbanner tool itself, and the only guide that I could find was not very helpful

View attachment 125415 This is the image I'm trying to convert. It's the correct dimensions and is in 8 bit RGB just like how it's supposed to be
The problem with the instructions for the GCBanner is that it worded it backwards. You have to put the image.bnr first and then the banner.tga afterwards.

8-bit rgb? I just saved my .tga as 24-bit. It displays properly. 32 bit didn't though.

For example: gcbanner.exe b image.bnr banner.tga

Also... props on the Ganon$. I always say Ganon $ when he puts his fist up, looks like he has a dollar sign on it. I was planning on making a cash money Ganon at some point with the dollar signs on the back of his hands.
Since you're on the subject, I thought I'd mention DTW will have a feature to import/export banners in the next version. So if you're having too much trouble, Kruzteaz, you could take a break from it for a little while.

Texture hacks alone won't cause desyncs. Advanced model changes like those from zankyou's threads can cause slowdowns though, and probably desyncs.

Okay. I thought this thread was for all types of texture hacks. These central threads typically get more traffic. I'll refrain from posting here I suppose.
Thanks. Yeah, I'd say it's for all types. But if a texture or group/type of textures are popular enough that they have their own dedicated threads, everything for them should go to just those threads. Mostly for organization, which helps people know where to look (not just for the first time looking, but also in cases where you know something has been posted, but aren't sure where to). And also, it generally helps to reduce redundancy and clutter. Even if it's a small matter or a few posts, these kinds of things can add up, especially when there are multiple contributors.

Last edited:

CowlScatman

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-7805-1507
I've been super inactive recently but i've still been coming back every now and then to see how things have been going in here. Good going everyone!

I've been wasting most of my time on osumania but I will return to melee texture stuff at some point.

Top Bottom