• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

RushSSBM

Smash Cadet
How would you go about modding the closed port textures? I tried doing some editing but there's some weird transparency conflicts sometimes with half of the port showing (top-right) or sometimes with it fully showing, idk it's hard to explain

DRGN

Technowizard
Let's say I want to change the elephant in the background on yoshis, or, if I wanted to take off falcons logo on the back and leave his ahh bareback, how would I go about that?
DAT Texture Wizard.

Looks like you've been looking for this for a while. It's stickied at the top of the textures forum though.

I have a question does using those shield mods change how the color of the shields behave because I tested them in 20xx 3.02 and they were all red no matter what costume or port they were on, but when I put on green and blue teams the shield colors changed. I was using Alex's shield 3 mod specifically.

Also AlexIsStarving AlexIsStarving your shield 3 is actually shield 2 duplicated
Shouldn't affect the colors at all. They're black-and-white textures, and the colors are then determined by code. So IDK what you were seeing happening.

How would you go about modding the closed port textures? I tried doing some editing but there's some weird transparency conflicts sometimes with half of the port showing (top-right) or sometimes with it fully showing, idk it's hard to explain
http://smashboards.com/threads/new-...dtw-4-2-released-32-bit.373777/#post-17895928

Most of that is explanation on the texture. But there are also directions for editing the texture in GIMP in the spoiler that says "Creating CSS panels in GIMP".

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
DAT Texture Wizard.

Looks like you've been looking for this for a while. It's stickied at the top of the textures forum though.

Shouldn't affect the colors at all. They're black-and-white textures, and the colors are then determined by code. So IDK what you were seeing happening.

http://smashboards.com/threads/new-...dtw-4-2-released-32-bit.373777/#post-17895928

Most of that is explanation on the texture. But there are also directions for editing the texture in GIMP in the spoiler that says "Creating CSS panels in GIMP".
I seen this, multiple times, but where does it teach me how to use it to modify skins, like change the color of falcons boots for example. All I see is a preview of what it looks like and a changelog of the changes from the previous version

ChillisMySkill

Smash Cadet
Here's a small glimpse at a project I'm working on...

I'm planning on remaking the SSBM cast's textures, as well as stages (eventually)!

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
I seen this, multiple times, but where does it teach me how to use it to modify skins, like change the color of falcons boots for example. All I see is a preview of what it looks like and a changelog of the changes from the previous version
If you can see textures, then you can select textures and use the menu at the top called Texture Operations to choose "Export Texture(s)", or right-click on the texture to choose the same option. Then edit the texture in photoshop or GIMP or something, and import that edited texture back into the DAT file, over the original (again, Texture Operations menu option "Import Texture", or right-click on the texture). If that doesn't explain it, what is confusing?

The program has a help menu btw, and also comes with a ReadMe file that should explain everything about it.

CSTL!?

Smash Cadet

Inverted Climbers
It's not done but I liked the concept

Last edited:

AlexIsStarving

Smash Apprentice

When you see it lol
this one is a little different. At this point im just seeing what i CANT mod through DTW.
If you didn't see it, its the memory card next to "Saving"

Last edited:

ChronicKyoki

Smash Rookie
Dr. Mario - Akuma
Yoshi - Goku and SSJ
Y.Link - Basically all of Siro's Redux's and the Jester one

Links don't work :(

Last edited:

408Pasta

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have the character select screen with the darkness effect / colors on the hand?

There was also darkness effects for several characters but I can't find the dropbox / posts anymore, any help?

AlexIsStarving

Smash Apprentice

Name: Shield Pack 2
Made By: AlexIsStarving
Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzG00kQGMqBQZ25IZy1hc1FLbnM

Do i look like i know what a may-lay is? All i wanted was a god dang fighting game

Shields are: Chrono Trigger, Thunder Cats, Kakashi's Sharingan, King of The Hill, Alchemy Circle, and Slow Poke Circle

Tomorrow im gonna do seinfeld :D

More to come after this in a sec!

Last edited:

AlexIsStarving

Smash Apprentice

Name: Black & Green Fox
Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzG00kQGMqBQWkxHTmxib2xYeEk
This skin is my second favorite out of all my other work. Please enjoy.
Also, i included both .rat and .lat versions so you can use it in 20XX! Just replace which ever one you dont want to use.

like the ganon purple effects on some his moves
you're looking for the changing color effects thread. It should be in there. Google "changing color effects in melee."
Unfortunately, that thread isnt as organised as this one, but i think that thread is mainly for the sake of tutorial and discussion. If you do go through the pages you will find some dank stuff.

Last edited:

408Pasta

Smash Rookie

Name: Black & Green Fox
Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzG00kQGMqBQWkxHTmxib2xYeEk
This skin is my second favorite out of all my other work. Please enjoy.
Also, i included both .rat and .lat versions so you can use it in 20XX! Just replace which ever one you dont want to use.

you're looking for the changing color effects thread. It should be in there. Google "changing color effects in melee."
Unfortunately, that thread isnt as organised as this one, but i think that thread is mainly for the sake of tutorial and discussion. If you do go through the pages you will find some dank stuff.
thank you i found it

whims

Smash Apprentice
how would i add custom stock icons/universe insignias in 20xx 4.05? the ifall.usd files are a bit different from what i can tell

looked around a bit for a guide and never found one

AlexIsStarving

Smash Apprentice
Last post before I pass out people. It has been a long night. Currently running on about 6 hours of sleep within the past two days 3:

Name: Scar and Toph Show CSS
Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzG00kQGMqBQRmMycmJmdlFzVDQ
Wasnt too sure of whether or not i was gonna post this one, i dont really think anyone would be too interested in this. But im posting just to do so and for records and stuff. The link contains a version for both vanilla and 20XX 4.05

and just one more thing...
I wanted to be selfish and keep this for a special build of 20XX i made for my friends. I wanted to be a ****, But...

Name: DickButt Cursor
Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzG00kQGMqBQc2NHLTdqNHBiaTA

Night folks. im spent. If im feeling motivated, i'll make some stuff tomorrow. I hope y'all enjoy all of this!

AlexIsStarving

Smash Apprentice
how would i add custom stock icons/universe insignias in 20xx 4.05? the ifall.usd files are a bit different from what i can tell

looked around a bit for a guide and never found one
IfAl0 is the ingame insignia
not sure what IfAl1 is but i replaced the texture there
and the regular one i believe is for the CSS.

whims

Smash Apprentice
IfAl0 is the ingame insignia
not sure what IfAl1 is but i replaced the texture there
and the regular one i believe is for the CSS.
i replaced the textures in the mnslchr.usd, as well as in the original ifall.dat, but they didn't show up in game so those weren't the correct files i assume. but half the textures in the ifal0.usd and ifal1.usd wouldn't show up in DTW. should i be using something else?

Last edited:

Thomas Johnson

Smash Cadet

Name: Shield Pack 2
Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzG00kQGMqBQZ25IZy1hc1FLbnM

Do i look like i know what a may-lay is? All i wanted was a god dang fighting game

Shields are: Chrono Trigger, Thunder Cats, Kakashi's Sharingan, King of The Hill, Alchemy Circle, and Slow Poke Circle

Tomorrow im gonna do seinfeld :D

More to come after this in a sec!
Alchemy circle is so sick. Slow poke circle made me think of this:
http://www.mariomakerhub.com/static/images/sprites/super-mario-world/boo-buddies.png

Could be a could shield in the same style.

whims

Smash Apprentice
ok, since this doesn't seem to be working with DTW (or any other program i try for that matter), is there a way to convert a stock icon to hex and then paste it in to the ifal0.usd/ifal1.usd files? the issues there are 1) idk the offsets where the icons are located 2) idk how to convert png to hex. is there an easy way to do that in cmd? i could probably figure out the offsets if i knew how to convert

EDIT: AlexIsStarving AlexIsStarving i'll check that first, thanks

Last edited:

AlexIsStarving

Smash Apprentice
i replaced the textures in the mnslchr.usd, as well as in the original ifall.dat, but they didn't show up in game so those weren't the correct files i assume. but half the textures in the ifal0.usd and ifa1.usd wouldn't show up in DTW. should i be using something else?
Make sure your dtw is up to date. Cause it should be there and you should be able to replace almost everything.

Last edited:

Proverbs

Smash Lord

Anyone up to the task of making Freddie Mercury a Captain Falcon costume? I'm working on getting some audio of Freddie vocalizing "YEAH" to replace Falcon's "Yes!" on his up+B.

whims

Smash Apprentice
okay so here's the results of my endeavors so far.

since my textures absolutely will not show up in DTW, i switched to opening these files in a hex editor:
-IfAll.usd from an absolutely unmodded melee filesystem
-IfAl0.usd from vanilla 4.05 root files
-IfAl1.usd from vanilla 4.05 root files
-MnSlChr.usd from vanilla 4.05 root files

the only ones that matter are the IfAll.usd and the IfAl0.usd, since IfAl0.usd is the one that determines the stock icons, as i discovered. however, what i did changed the stock icon in all the files quite strangely. essentially, i found that the offset and following block which contains red ness's stock icon, 0xc4c80 until the beginning of 0xc4da0, had the same string of hex as the corresponding block in BOTH IfAl0.usd and IfAl1.usd. also, the same string of hex appears at the offset 0x378020 in MnSlChr.usd.

original block of hex:

so, i thought, if i simply replace its texture with my desired texture in DTW and then copy the new block of hex into IfAl0.usd, it should work.

new block of hex:

so i did this, and i got a very weird result:
this is the image i'd like to replace it with:

this is the image i got:

anyone know what the issue is?

EDIT: i always seem to solve my own issues after posting. i never copied the palette data over so it was reading from the original ness stock icon palette

Last edited:

AlexIsStarving

Smash Apprentice

Anyone up to the task of making Freddie Mercury a Captain Falcon costume? I'm working on getting some audio of Freddie vocalizing "YEAH" to replace Falcon's "Yes!" on his up+B.
Looking for a project so maybe. Maybe not that exact picture but I'll use Freddie and queen for inspiration. Audio hacking is also difficult for me :c but for u bby, I'll try cause ily

And as far as I know audio isn't tied to costumes and can't be.

EDIT: Falcon's textures are confusing and i dont feel like figuring it out at this very moment. But when I do i'll probably do this.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
okay so here's the results of my endeavors so far.

since my textures absolutely will not show up in DTW, i switched to opening these files in a hex editor:
-IfAll.usd from an absolutely unmodded melee filesystem
-IfAl0.usd from vanilla 4.05 root files
-IfAl1.usd from vanilla 4.05 root files
-MnSlChr.usd from vanilla 4.05 root files

the only ones that matter are the IfAll.usd and the IfAl0.usd, since IfAl0.usd is the one that determines the stock icons, as i discovered. however, what i did changed the stock icon in all the files quite strangely. essentially, i found that the offset and following block which contains red ness's stock icon, 0xc4c80 until the beginning of 0xc4da0, had the same string of hex as the corresponding block in BOTH IfAl0.usd and IfAl1.usd. also, the same string of hex appears at the offset 0x378020 in MnSlChr.usd.

original block of hex:

so, i thought, if i simply replace its texture with my desired texture in DTW and then copy the new block of hex into IfAl0.usd, it should work.

new block of hex:

so i did this, and i got a very weird result:
this is the image i'd like to replace it with:

this is the image i got:

anyone know what the issue is?

EDIT: i always seem to solve my own issues after posting. i never copied the palette data over so it was reading from the original ness stock icon palette
IfAl0.usd = IfAll file used if "PAL STOCK ICONS: OFF"

IfAl1.usd = IfAll file used if "PAL STOCK ICONS: ON"

Anutim made a post somewhere on these forums and found out you could take the PAL IfAll file, and copy a huge chunk of image data (stock icons) and paste it into an NTSC IfAll file. Doing so will change the icons to the PAL images [smaller].

After I implemented this feature, I figured out how to change the stock icon scale as they are loaded in-game with code - instead of needing a completely new file. So ideally, IfAl1.usd will be removed in the future.

Top Bottom