• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

Iceballz

Smash Journeyman
I feel stupid for asking this, but I was making replacing textures on Rainbow Cruise.This was the first time it has happened while making a texture but I already knew this occurrence obviously could happen.I had the original textures showing up for certain things until I paused(basically zooming in).Is there a way I can fix it?I'm not sure if I'm making sense.It's like 2 in the morning.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
I feel stupid for asking this, but I was making replacing textures on Rainbow Cruise.This was the first time it has happened while making a texture but I already knew this occurrence obviously could happen.I had the original textures showing up for certain things until I paused(basically zooming in).Is there a way I can fix it?I'm not sure if I'm making sense.It's like 2 in the morning.
Don't feel bad, it's not a dumb question. Rainbow Cruise has quite a few "mipmap" textures, which is more than likely what's giving you trouble. The latest version of DTW identifies these by highlighting the texture in light blue on the DAT Texture Tree tab, but it will only edit the first-associated/main image. Use the forum's search feature with "mipmap" or "mipmaps" for more info.

They're certainly possible to edit manually, but without full support for them in DTW it'll be tedious. It's one of the next features I plan to add though.

Has anyone considered making skins based on Yu Yu Hakusho? I feel like there could be sick Hiei one for Marth and maybe like a Kuwabara one for Falcon.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
This may not be the right place to ask, but does anybody know what happened here? This only happens with orange Fox and I don't know why. I just noticed it a few minutes ago on netplay and it still happens offline. What happened is orange Fox has this grey triangle stuck to his arm that moves around with the rest of his body. It's actually a bit funny to look at in motion. http://imgur.com/alJeNb2

Last edited:

MicroWade

Smash Rookie
Okay, I have a couple more skins. (Can you tell I like comics? lol) I edited the Flash costume for C. Falcon. I don't know who the original creator is, or I'd give credit. I removed the shoulderpad, gun, and edited a lot of the textures.

Name: The Flash (edited)
Made by: ??? Edited by: MicroWade
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/uprqb2c32sy6qpi/PlCaRe.dat

Name: The Reverse Flash (replaces Pink Falcon)
Made by: MicroWade
Download Link Here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/z5z5iefi2nweg82/PlCaWh.dat

Dinowaffles

Smash Cadet
How tf do I use the Texture wizard to modify skins
You can use DAT wizard to access certain textures so you can replace them by clicking on the texture file then clicking on browse textures on the right. I know Achilles and others go as far as messing with the image data headers, but I honestly don't know what those do, and how they affect the texture.

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
This may not be the right place to ask, but does anybody know what happened here? This only happens with orange Fox and I don't know why. I just noticed it a few minutes ago on netplay and it still happens offline. What happened is orange Fox has this grey triangle stuck to his arm that moves around with the rest of his body. It's actually a bit funny to look at in motion. http://imgur.com/alJeNb2
If this only happens on dolphin and not on a Wii it's most likely a graphical artifact from your GPU messing up. Happened to me once and a restart fixed it.

DRGN

Technowizard
You are welcome to. Make sure they all match format though.
I shall make a NEW format! And become rich by monetizing it!

No, I won't.

I'd like to fix some colors stuff though. e.g. some spots where you have "Gray" listed when the character's color set is actually Black, etc. And I'mma steer clear of of the FAQ, but that could really use some updating, I think.

If that's not a graphical glitch (which I figure it would be if it was just a one-time thing, and I'm actually guessing it was since you said "happened"), then it might be corrupt model data in that particular character costume file.

It's possible. I've seen stranger things. And someone once told me about their copy of melee which would do really crazy mechanics based things. Like suddenly your character would burst into flames and fly into a blastzone, lol. It's amazing that it would even fail by doing something else -even if that something else is completely wrong-, rather than just freezing the game. It's amazing what a few flipped bits can do.

Anyways, if it keeps doing it, you could just replace that character file.

Last edited:

Thomas Johnson

Smash Cadet
I made this Falco as my school's mascot (Redbirds). So it could be that, could be a cardinal, but I just like it as a standalone Red Falco too. Replaces left falco red alternate in 20xx 4.05.
Made by: Trod
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/i8ype381d3dw3p1/PlFcRe(Black_and_Red_Falco).lat

Achilles1515 Achilles1515
Veggies Veggies
DJ Casca DJ Casca

I finally got around to redoing this red Falco skin. I took a little bit of advice from all of you. I desaturated the textures first. Then I used around 60-70& opacity on a brush for the colors, and finished it off by adjusting brightness and contrast to make the lines on the darker parts stand out more. Unfortunately, Dolphin doesn't run on my laptop, so I can't take pictures of the updated version (I had my friend do it last time). But I assure you it looks much better.

Updated Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/i8ype381d3dw3p1/PlFcRe(Black_and_Red_Falco).lat

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
You are welcome to. Make sure they all match format though.
I shall make a NEW format! And become rich by monetizing it!

No, I won't.

I'd like to fix some colors stuff though. e.g. some spots where you have "Gray" listed when the character's color set is actually Black, etc. And I'mma steer clear of of the FAQ, but that could really use some updating, I think.
Regardless of what new textures get added to the OP, I believe the "Character Color Converter" Feature of DTW needs to be up front and center. It basically knocks down all walls of needing to separate textures by color, and could transform the thread into more of a "free-for-all" of textures, kind of like how Steelia formatted his website. (Except for Daisy Peach...is this the only color with a different model? And I don't want to hear the answer of C. Falc's minuscule differences.)

Capture.PNG

https://illusorylabyrinth.wordpress.com/choose-your-character/

Not saying that the format should certainly change to something like this, but just that CCC is amazing.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
So I am living in the stone age by manually exporting textures to photoshop to recolor them?
(assuming this was a response to my message)

No, nothing exists to "automatically" make new edits to textures. I'm not sure if you've used CCC yet or not, but, as an example, it let's you take a Green Fox costume, and automatically convert it to a Normal Fox costume. What you previously had to do to make that happen was manually export every single texture from the green file, and then import them over the similar normal costume texture files.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Regardless of what new textures get added to the OP, I believe the "Character Color Converter" Feature of DTW needs to be up front and center. It basically knocks down all walls of needing to separate textures by color, and could transform the thread into more of a "free-for-all" of textures, kind of like how Steelia formatted his website. (Except for Daisy Peach...is this the only color with a different model? And I don't want to hear the answer of C. Falc's minuscule differences.)

View attachment 105924
https://illusorylabyrinth.wordpress.com/choose-your-character/

Not saying that the format should certainly change to something like this, but just that CCC is amazing.
Although this would be lovely to remove the color sections, a lot of people on here are close to being brain dead, and that extra step of color conversion may be a bit too difficult for them. Also, to organize the thread in the way Steelia did his site would be cool, but I'm hoping you meant to only have portraits for the characters and not each individual costume. Whatever you and DRGN want to do may be done, and I do not mind at all, please just make sure to be careful, the initial creation of this thread took me around 5 hours.

DRGN

Technowizard
TIL you can edit shields

Name: Shield Pack 1
Made by: AlexIsStarving
Download Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzG00kQGMqBQMkVsUTRaWVZDNjg
Finally!

I posted offsets for these before DTW was even a thing, and wondered when someone would do something cool with them. If you haven't already noticed, you can also change the "static" graphic that appears when the shield gets hit. So you could get creative and make them go together in some way. You can also change the power-shield ring, and a few others that I don't even know what they do yet (but I'm pretty sure are shield related). Veddy interesting!

AlexIsStarving

Smash Apprentice
Finally!

I posted offsets for these before DTW was even a thing, and wondered when someone would do something cool with them. If you haven't already noticed, you can also change the "static" graphic that appears when the shield gets hit. So you could get creative and make them go together in some way. You can also change the power-shield ring, and a few others that I don't even know what they do yet (but I'm pretty sure are shield related). Veddy interesting!
thanks so much for the tool man. It's fun as ****ing **** editing textures and getting creative

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
You can use DAT wizard to access certain textures so you can replace them by clicking on the texture file then clicking on browse textures on the right. I know Achilles and others go as far as messing with the image data headers, but I honestly don't know what those do, and how they affect the texture.
Let's say I want to change the elephant in the background on yoshis, or, if I wanted to take off falcons logo on the back and leave his ahh bareback, how would I go about that?

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Last edited:

RushSSBM

Smash Cadet
I have a question does using those shield mods change how the color of the shields behave because I tested them in 20xx 3.02 and they were all red no matter what costume or port they were on, but when I put on green and blue teams the shield colors changed. I was using Alex's shield 3 mod specifically.

Also AlexIsStarving AlexIsStarving your shield 3 is actually shield 2 duplicated

Last edited:
Top Bottom