• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
I need help!
Warriorknight is trying to change Black Bowser's collar and the textures are not changing even through hex modification and through melee toolkit.

Thomas Sparks

Smash Rookie
I'm having trouble with the file types I'm downloading. When I download a costumes file I unzip it and its a .dat file. DAT texture wizard requires the costume file to be either a .png or .tpl. How do I convert the file type? Or am I just way off here?

CeLL

Smash Lord
I'm having trouble with the file types I'm downloading. When I download a costumes file I unzip it and its a .dat file. DAT texture wizard requires the costume file to be either a .png or .tpl. How do I convert the file type? Or am I just way off here?
DTW edits dats. You use GCR or Melee Toolkit to put them in isos.

Thomas Sparks

Smash Rookie
DTW edits dats. You use GCR or Melee Toolkit to put them in isos.
I'm using GCR, but the part I can't figure out is how to change the file type in DTW before importing it back into the isos. To be more clear, I found the palette code using GCR "PlGnLa.dat" in this case. I imported it into the folder where I have the custom costume saved. Then when I open DTW and try to replace the file it says "The following images were not written in because they do not have proper formatting for a .TPL or .PNG (you might want to try getting a new copy of the image"

CeLL

Smash Lord
I'm using GCR, but the part I can't figure out is how to change the file type in DTW before importing it back into the isos. To be more clear, I found the palette code using GCR "PlGnLa.dat" in this case. I imported it into the folder where I have the custom costume saved. Then when I open DTW and try to replace the file it says "The following images were not written in because they do not have proper formatting for a .TPL or .PNG (you might want to try getting a new copy of the image"
No, open your iso with GCR, right click on the file you want to replace, click import, then choose the file you want to replace it with. DTW does not do anything with isos.

shuall

Smash Apprentice

Name: Smashboards
Replaces: PpRe NnWh, Red and White
Download: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/q2q9mm3rcvzs2/PpNnSb
More pictures: http://imgur.com/a/vzvWv

I don't know how to get rid of the blue that shows up on the fringe of the popo textures and the pink on the fringe of the nana ones. They aren't present in any of the textures I can see with MeleeToolkit. Might be part of a palette, or reflection (lighting) information? (EDIT: I think this is it, because it doesn't show up in any dolphin texture dumps either)
I used the smashboards logo to get my colors, but looking now, I might want to make it more orange.
I made a twitch recolor as well, but the purple from the twitch logo looks too blue.

Last edited:

Mr_Buttsavage17

Smash Rookie
Say there is a Texture you want, but it replaces a color you have or plan on doing something with. Can you get it to replace another color instead and how so?

CeLL

Smash Lord
Say there is a Texture you want, but it replaces a color you have or plan on doing something with. Can you get it to replace another color instead and how so?
You have to remake it over a different color. http://smashboards.com/posts/17023059
Usually it's mostly just exporting the textures from one and importing them into the other. The models are different per color though so the textures they have aren't always identical.

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
The links of captron falcon in his neutral & blue colors are the same

they redirect to the one that replaces the neutral color.

CeLL

Smash Lord
The links of captron falcon in his neutral & blue colors are the same

they redirect to the one that replaces the neutral color.
There are only four CapTron skins for the six Falcon colors. Blue and neutral are the same, as are black and white.

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
Yes I know that. Maybe I'm not clear enough, what I meant was : The captron Falcon file found in the blue color section of captain falcon's textures is in fact a file for his neutral color. I had to download the pack which the 4 textures to find it. It's not the right link. Also, link for the EMP Marth is ded.

Pandaxen

Smash Cadet
I have kind of a simple request.

Would it be possible for someone to do a Fox texture where he has sunglasses like James? Preferably in the SNES default texture

Espi

Smash Journeyman
I have kind of a simple request.

Would it be possible for someone to do a Fox texture where he has sunglasses like James? Preferably in the SNES default texture
It's not really possible atm. 3D models are really hard to make, and making good looking ones are impossible.

harrisoff

Smash Rookie
sorry if this has already been answered, I couldnt find it anywhere. I was wondering if its possible do to replace an existing stage texture with a custom texture of a different stage. For example, I want to be able to play on the vanilla yoshis story and the nighttime/boo yoshis story. Could I replace the texture for one of the mushrooms kingdoms with the nightime/boo yoshis story texture?

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
Have you tried doing it ?
I also have one question : let's say I want to mod my PAL copy, if I take textures here, will it make the character behave like in NTSC or not ? Are the files replaced just textures or do they contain character behavior ?
This maybe sound stupid but I feel I have to get this question answered, yesterday I spiked another player as falco within the last frames of his down air and this surprised me since my copy is a PAL one. With modified textures.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Have you tried doing it ?
I also have one question : let's say I want to mod my PAL copy, if I take textures here, will it make the character behave like in NTSC or not ? Are the files replaced just textures or do they contain character behavior ?
This maybe sound stupid but I feel I have to get this question answered, yesterday I spiked another player as falco within the last frames of his down air and this surprised me since my copy is a PAL one. With modified textures.
Character hitbox data is in the file (using Fox as example):

PlFx.dat

And not the costume files which are

PlFxNr, PlFxOr, PlFxGr, PlFxLa.dat

Achilles1515

Smash Master
sorry if this has already been answered, I couldnt find it anywhere. I was wondering if its possible do to replace an existing stage texture with a custom texture of a different stage. For example, I want to be able to play on the vanilla yoshis story and the nighttime/boo yoshis story. Could I replace the texture for one of the mushrooms kingdoms with the nightime/boo yoshis story texture?
Not as easy as you think. There are game functions specific to stages and even if you were to take a Yoshis stage file and rename it and replace MK, the game doesn't know you did that and will still execute the MK game functions which would freeze it instantly. You would need to have a stage swap code to load yoshis instead of MK, and then you would need to have it change the filename of the yoshis story stage to a secondary file that you have added to the filesystem/overwritten. And then it will load that secondary Yoshi's file that could be a different texture.

harrisoff

Smash Rookie
Not as easy as you think. There are game functions specific to stages and even if you were to take a Yoshis stage file and rename it and replace MK, the game doesn't know you did that and will still execute the MK game functions which would freeze it instantly. You would need to have a stage swap code to load yoshis instead of MK, and then you would need to have it change the filename of the yoshis story stage to a secondary file that you have added to the filesystem/overwritten. And then it will load that secondary Yoshi's file that could be a different texture.
Oh ok that makes sense. I have 0 experience coding so I guess thats out of the question. Thanks for the reply.

Madcowdesease

Smash Cadet
I'm trying to change the texture of marths cape but I can't find the png that corresponds to where the logo would reside? Also are there two textures that are used for the cape (texture 46 and 47)?

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to change the texture of marths cape but I can't find the png that corresponds to where the logo would reside? Also are there two textures that are used for the cape (texture 46 and 47)?
Are you referring to the textures numbered in melee toolkit or steelia's texture collection? If toolkit, check steelia's stuff in the first post (Labeled as original skins)

Top Bottom