• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Luigi Video and Critique Thread

Luigisama

Smash Champion
0:32 every wolf loves their reflector. They tend to either use when they are about to get comboed or when they are being put in the corner. Anticipate this and you can powershield the reflector and punish.

This mu is mainly powershield wolf's aerials, reflector, and smashes. It makes the mu a lot easier when you don't slide every. Another to know about this mu is that fair being one of Wolf's kill moves to DI it properly you must DI away from wolf.

0:38 oh wow reflector again lol. Notice how he used it after getting popped up by cyclone. Next time you play a wolf experiment. Cyclone and be ready to shield or powershield. See what moves will trigger the wolf to pull out his reflector.

0:50 to 1:00 see this is what you want. You're in the air or at least the way you're moving is influencing wolf. The only problem is you didn't do anything you could have bair or fair him during that whole mess or even land to grab him. Also you want to get in the air before wolf gets in the air

The reason being is that you can beat his bair with your fair. Also you can shoot a fireball anticipating wolf's jump so the fireball with hit wolf before he does his bair or aerial. Don't worry about reflector with your fireball as long as you don't spam it the wolf won't know when to use reflector.

1:06 Hold up for DIing that move. You shouldn't be dying until 160%

oh wow those pauses you just lost all of your stocks lol jk

when you get a jab on wolf you can either grab or just complete the whole jab combo. Wolf is a fast faller so not a lot of jab to dsmash etc won't work on him

2:25 watch out for side b through the stage. Wolfs have been using that a lot lately also look out for the side b cancel on the ledge if you happen to be near them you can punish them for it.

2:30 the up b was unnecessary. You were going to grab ledge

3:47 I liked how you used reverse jump to avoid the laser. It shows that you learned from the first match

3:56 you had an up b since wolf was in Fair landing lag

4:07 you had an up b, but you also could have gotten it by powershielding his reflector

4:44 there was no point in approaching him. You should have just crouch down and avoided the lasers. But it's good you did that later in the video. Nice

5:29 learn the tech to that grab. I don't know it myself, but it helps to prevent deaths like that

5:42 nice read. Wow you're like improving before my eyes in this video lol

6:07 a little to eager there to win. But wow here is a tip and I never realized it until now. If the wolf is over you're head or just falling near you be ready to press shield so you can powershield the reflector.

6:30 learn delfino. If you're going to pick the stage know all of it's features. The up b just got you punished

6:41 O_O.... UP B HIM MANG WHY DID YOU LET HIM LIVE???!?!?!????!?!?! YOU'RE A WHITE BLOOD CELL HE'S A VIRUS EAT HIM!!!!!!!!

overall you're not bad you just need to improve on getting up b opportunities, change up your approach, Bair approach is all right, but don't forget you can just walk up power shielding or use cyclone. Also as a ledge get up option go for drop ledge, jump fireball onto stage. Fireball hits the opponent, jab(in this case don't jab just up b) and up b. Very useful in catching up bs

----- 2nd video------

0:09 you missed an opportunity for a fireball lock. You could have bair or neutral b reverse a fireball then started a fireball lock he was at 30%
Wow you're like brillant without trying to be brilliant. Good setup for the fireball lock in the event the opponent rolls back or just lands perfectly near the edge of the platform. weak nair or maybe strong nair can work to upsmash. :cool:

0:15 as luigi you need to see you're opponent out. Figure out their roll patterns, air dodge, etc right there you should have just stood still and you could have caught him in his roll and up bed

0:30 you should have gone for cyclone a little earlier. In that case since he kept waiting for you to react and punish it you should just go for the ledge.

0:40 CYCLONE MAN

0:45 there is that roll again should have been punished with up b.

1:30 just shield it don't try to challenge it, but I think cyclone beats it.

One thing in this mu is that once you combo up Ike you have to be careful in your approach when he is at 60% because he'll be waiting to swing at you. So it would either be best play defensive and punish when you can or camp with fireballs. Fireball him before he does his obvious fair approach.
Also if you get a combo string pushing ike offstage edge guard like crazy. Bair or fair him all the way offstage most ikes know they can get gimped easily so they'll save their jump, but it doesn't help if they are very faraway from the edge.

2:30 always be ready if there is a roll to up b it

2:40 against ike it is best to recover low or recover high.
Low: missle below ledge where ike can't dair you, jump, up b

if he's on the ledge waiting for you cyclone instead of jump so you can meteor cancel the spike if it happens. Otherwise you'll clip ike with cyclone.

high: cyclone as high as you can, jump+ side b, land safely with either cyclone or use smart air dodges.

3:34 there is that roll again. I didn't know ike= lucario

3:45 as in the previous video. Try not to fireball up close it has a lot of cool down lag use it when you're faraway from the opponent

3:58 rollabannza

4:17 you should have just side b to the ledge

overall combo up ike, stay away from him when he's at high percents because you can't combo him as well, fireball his fair approaches or jumps.

If you have trouble getting damage on your opponents pressure them to the ledge. fireball constantly at a distance towards the ledge, then mix up by jumping fireball to ground fireballs. Punish your opponents movements onto the stage like if they roll onto stage push them back on the ledge with the jab combo, if they airdodge on the stage there isn't much you can do besides fireball them back onto the ledge or cyclone them. But this is an effective way to get damage in a safe way.

fireball does 6% and when it gets stale it does 5%. three fireballs that hit the opponent while they are on the ledge= 15% of damage + a jab combo= 25% Really good damage output in such a simple and safe tactic.

well I hope this helps I'll be releasing a video on my hand motions for rising cyclone, also the crawl dash slide, and that fireball ledge tactic.

- rko -

Smash Apprentice
Wow, good pointers Sama. Also, when you will be doing the hand motion video, will there also be pointers on how to do the same tactics with other controllers like WiiChuck, Classic etc?

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Thanks, SAMa. When I'm on a computer, I'll read and watch at the same time.

I've since gotten rising cyclone down, using side taunts as specials.

:phone:

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Wow, good pointers Sama. Also, when you will be doing the hand motion video, will there also be pointers on how to do the same tactics with other controllers like WiiChuck, Classic etc?

I'll see if I can do that. I don't think I can do one for classic because I don't own a classic controller.
Thanks, SAMa. When I'm on a computer, I'll read and watch at the same time.

I've since gotten rising cyclone down, using side taunts as specials.

no problem dude.

and oh I see I thought you couldn't rise with cyclone.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
At the time I couldn't. I believe it has improved my game, though.

Excel is my savior.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
So, I made this critique for game 1 before I noticed you had put the videos in here. Thanks for the shoutout dude. ^_^

vs. Blue :wolf:
-First Stock-
Alrighty, so you have gotta stop running in with Nado. The offensive purpose for that move is to tech chase, punish landings and poke shields. You were kinda just throwing it out and getting either bad trades or shut down completely. Wolf especially can shut down Nado with just laser from pretty much any range and even if it trades, he's winning.

Secondly, you keep approaching with Nair. If you're gonna approach with anything, RAR FH Bair is your best bet. Atleast if it whiffs, you're not in a direct line of Wolf nonsense. Nair is best used to meaty airdodges, as well as break them. Obviously, you know that Nair is also used to break out of overzealous attempts to combo.

-Second Stock-
Okay, so you got off a decent pressure string, but at [1:40] with the unsure Nado, if you feel like you're not going to hit with it, make it your priority at that very moment when he finishes to reset your position. The Bair wall wasn't a bad idea, problem is you're doing it at a range in which he could have popped you with Blaster. Find the spot in which Blaster is not a good idea and Bair there. At [1:52] he's spotdodges and at [1:55] he rolls away and you keep Bairing. You have to have a purpose for the Bairs or else it's just a wasted strategy. 1:55 he rolled away and that was your cue to Nado and punish it. [2:00] Don't do that. Unless you're noticing an excessive spotdodge habit, you really shouldn't consider walking up and trying to SRK someone in a neutral position. [2:24] I'll assume you were trying to get to the ledge, which case it was unfortunate that happened. [2:27] Either you've been practicing jackhammers or you've been practicing my dpad tech. Either way, I approve. However, I don't approve of the unnecessary UpB. You could've dropped to the ledge or below and recovered safely.

-Final Stock-
There's a whole lot of desperation here. Not alot of thought out moves, you really just wanted the kill and Luigi spamming kill moves isn't gonna kill them any faster. When someone finally realizes that they don't have to approach you, all those whiffed kill moves become free punishes. As you can see, he took full advantage of it and put you in all the bad positions.

First off, you need to work on your spacing. Both offensive and defensive. Your defensive spacing is nonexistent. When he approaches, you do 1 of these 3 things: Fireball, shield or spotdodge. They all get you hit if he's not attacking first. Move away and reset your position. Offensively, you only know straightforward approaches with Luigi. So, your spacing is in all the wrong zones. You fireball too close and you do it at times when Wolf is shooting at you. Fireball when you're just outside of range for it to hit. It's far enough away to disrespect your opponent's spacing and you come out of the end lag before they can do anything to you.

Secondly, your Nado game needs some practice. Which this is a niche area and if you're pretty creative, Nado has some pretty cool uses. You caught on to Dpad Nadoing, which is awesome. More people should use it if they can't jackhammer. Also, when using Nado, you have to look at your target when they are in 1 of the 3 situations in which Nado is useful. If it looks like your opponent is going to recover before Nado hits, mash it so Luigi gets some elevation and avoid whatever they throw out.

You need some work BSL, but it's nothing that a little practice and videos couldn't fix. Spacing is something you have to work on against a CPU. I just run to training mode and practice not getting hit by a Lv. 9 MK. Don't shield, just move away.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
New videos...finally. Unfortunately, they are all wifi. >__>;

DISCLAIMER: Any videos with a "narf." tag are older.

vs. ZYW :snake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2OgbWlI6t0

vs. TheElectricGorilla :olimar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b72how0--dM

vs. Kennispam :ike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhRagoqUZeo

vs. MAFIA OCD :metaknight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op3RAVCrTZw

vs. MAFIA OCD :diddy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5OSR8NKJjQ

vs. Zhao :luigi2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDnsddtQtcE

vs. KingYoshi :metaknight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3i-m790K-8

Luigisama

Smash Champion
The one against Mafia :metaknight:.

One thing playing against metaknight or at least certain mks they have habits that are very easy to read.
This mk does grounded shuttle loop on the ground. This mk doesn't do it as much, but when playing against an mk and he does this don't attack when you're above mk. He'll most likely do grounded shuttle loop again to punish your aerial approach. Just jump, but don't do anything if the mk tends to shield he is most likely setting up for his grounded up b

0:20 as an example

0:40

0:46 this is where it gets annoying the mk even did grounded up b as a defensive or "get out of my face" option. When you have an mk doing for cover up his openings just hold shield it's better than trying to challenge the up b. I guess you could roll away, but that doesn't seem to work too much since I think luigi is vulnerable during his roll or at least it feels like he is.

0:57 to avoid situations like that you could either jump missile onto stage just above the ledge or unto the platform since you could see it coming back, fireball at a distance to keep mk from edge guarding, or side b very low and jump to rising cyclone then up b to ledge.

1:38 I'm calling this a wifi mistake, but it's best to airdodge behind mk so he can't grab you. Also once again he's hiding in shield so he is looking for either
1. grab
2. OOS option
3. Up b OOS

2:15 the recovery option needs to be changed.

2:30 airdodge to shutter step fsmash could work there. I punish mks with it when they're grab happy when they are in shield

3:34 tough call on this one, but when you get a spot dodge at low percents or at least a percent where you can still live if you get hit go for the up b. I get this situation way too many times and I blow it by jabbing when I can just up b. Up b would have definitely hit

Considering also this is wifi. What you can do is just develop a defensive style and use that on wifi. Go aggressive when you have read your opponent completely. Also the defensive style also teaches you patientence. Something that I think is required for some Luigi mus like Fox, wario, kirby, or Pit.

yoshq

Smash Master
Excel: on the Diddy vid:
Just looks like you don't know how to play vs Diddy. When you finally do get in, good reads and good mixups. You don't seem to know how to use bananas too well.. maybe you should just throw them away from Diddy or off the stage when given the chance. 1:53 when he fairs your shield, you can usmash. 2:05 great grab read. Technically could have been an upb but you don't really think about that **** a lot of the time. Try a little more air dodge to utilt. Like when he's shielding if you land behind him. Good patience. Don't be as afraid of his bananas. Pick certain random times to just walk up to him to show you aren't afraid even if you are. Also, remember that when you trip on a banana, the reaction Diddies are expecting is the regular get up. So try to almost never do it. 3:55 great read. Consider dsmash to cover backwards DI as well. But mainly just time it correctly. 3:58 good try. Getting a little thirsty for the kill now... this is the point where you start going for Luigi's lesser known kill moves like utilt, bthrow, any air move, etc. Always go for the easiest available kill move. 5:34 could try down throw to uair if he doesn't air dodge - it would kill. Or if he does, air dodge with him to follow him and utilt/dsmash. 6:25 fantastic read.

Tell me if you want me to do another one of the matches. Coolwhip I'll do yours in a minute here.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Excel: on the Diddy vid:
Just looks like you don't know how to play vs Diddy. When you finally do get in, good reads and good mixups. You don't seem to know how to use bananas too well.. maybe you should just throw them away from Diddy or off the stage when given the chance. 1:53 when he fairs your shield, you can usmash. 2:05 great grab read. Technically could have been an upb but you don't really think about that **** a lot of the time. Try a little more air dodge to utilt. Like when he's shielding if you land behind him. Good patience. Don't be as afraid of his bananas. Pick certain random times to just walk up to him to show you aren't afraid even if you are. Also, remember that when you trip on a banana, the reaction Diddies are expecting is the regular get up. So try to almost never do it. 3:55 great read. Consider dsmash to cover backwards DI as well. But mainly just time it correctly. 3:58 good try. Getting a little thirsty for the kill now... this is the point where you start going for Luigi's lesser known kill moves like utilt, bthrow, any air move, etc. Always go for the easiest available kill move. 5:34 could try down throw to uair if he doesn't air dodge - it would kill. Or if he does, air dodge with him to follow him and utilt/dsmash. 6:25 fantastic read.

Tell me if you want me to do another one of the matches. Coolwhip I'll do yours in a minute here.
Thanks for the advice. **** wifi Diddies and their stupid abuse-able spotdodge. I'd say just look through them and point out any problems I have in my gameplay.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
You really need to consider your options when you're in shield. You really roll a lot and that is a bad thing to do especially since it can get punished. You should only be rolling to get out of tight spot or dodge.

Also in some cases in the match you didn't even have to roll you could have done other things like jump out of shield to an aerial. Another thing that you have to learn how to do is rise with cyclone. If you're using a wii nunchuck I suggest you mash your special button with your middle finger and make your arm stiff.

The Nutz of Norcal Deez

Smash Apprentice
Great match. Sucks that you felt that misfire and just missed with it. Would've been extra swag.
I was telling him after that match that I knew he was gonna jump and i felt the misfire. He replied that he was gonna jump but his gut feeling was saying not to. We both just laughed at it afterwards. always fun matches vs Draykin

IceArrow

Smash Lord
Hey Delta, I noticed a few things in the match vs. Falco. You spent the whole match approaching when you could easily camp on the platform a little until you get to your opponent and then drop down and use down-b. Also, use Nair a lot more to limit Atari's Side-B options. Luigis greatest strength in that match up though is his offstage game. He can very easily gimp Falco offstage and get a great advantage. Also Jab -> a lot of options work on Falco.

yoshq

Smash Master
Deez, I like the B reversals.

Delta. Be more aggressive. Counter his phantasms with tornado. Read his air dodges and start with a downsmash, moving up to other punishes. Don't always nado when you come down from the air, although it does work the majority of the time vs him. 8:29 exactly what I would have done. Use crouching more. 10:19 good idea, work on it. 10:27 instead of trying to jump out of his cg, mash nair. He is not doing it correctly and you can punish that. 11:03, good idea, work on the execution.

Good matches overall.

BSP

Smash Legend
Deez, that double Shoryuken was nice

Now go for the Triple and reach YoshQ status

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for advice Yoshq, and as of recent I've been trying to intergrate d-smash more into my playstyle.

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
Posted this set on the "top 10 videos of each character" thread and thought I might as well post here. 4th best in UK (J.Miller - Luigi) vs 3rd best (Kasper - Falco). Just watch the set, the last match was crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGNUMakcid4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuzmmxaZ3Jo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJf902hDNms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlGBjrenooA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOgy4eG5OSk

I also secondary Luigi, my first post here so here are some friendlies with mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaSssGGfrEc&feature=share&list=UUdkoR37NYcFTef-b68V135w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wpoveGQVF0&feature=share&list=UUdkoR37NYcFTef-b68V135w

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
Hey BlueBandit, I'm actually a newer Luigi myself, so some of the more veteran Luigi players may be able to help you more. However, my friend is also a fox main so I know this matchup very well. I'll just go over the first game for now.

At the beginning you played well, being able to pressure fox. That's what Luigi does, since his moves come out very fast. It seems you also know nair is a good move, it's Luigi's fastest arieal and beats out a lot of moves. Like at 00:35 it looked like you naired out of fox's jab. You also did a good job keeping fox in the air, just watch out for fox's down air. It's one of fox's best moves, but it has a lot of ending lag, so you can always just wait in shield, and then just grab him, like you did. The only problem is towards the end of his first stock, you were a little to aggressive. After you faired him offstage this is when you jumped of right away and ending up saving him with nado. You were probably better off waiting towards the ledge, and then trying to see how he is going to recover, and punish him from there. When fox was on his second stock, you got him off stage with jab, but he was able to get back on stage. Instead of trying to spike him with dair, nado is a little safer it knocks them down like a spike and much easier to hit with. Luigi's dair can be kinda tough to hit with. Nice jab to grab at about 1:30, and good using back-throw, your main job is keep fox off-stage and give him as little space to work with as possible. However, you were a little to aggressive again offstage. The advice I gave on the 1st stock applies. What happened was you then gave up all your control, and fox got it back and punished you with fsmash, thus losing your stock. 2:10 was great roll read! Pressuring his shield with jab and waiting for him to react. That's the patience you need to have as Luigi! You did the same thing on his last stock, taking note for his rolling habit. However, in between that you kept chasing him, you didn't need to do that since you had the lead. Also be a little more cautious offstage. Luigi does has a good recover with nado and missle along with up b, but they are all very weak and luigi can be hit out of them.

Overall, it seems you have a good feel for Luigi, all I can say is play a little more patient and polish up your offstage game, and you have the foundation for a solid Luigi.

BlueBandit

Smash Rookie
Thanks very much for the advice Delta! I'd have to agree with the points you made, that I don't play defensive enough and that I go offstage way too recklessly. And it's not just Luigi but any character I play, which probably isn't a good thing. Along with the defensive note I definitely need to shield more to counter the dair from fox.

Also I forgot to mention but my friend would also love some criticism from any fox mains as he's trying to get into the tournament scene too!

Luigimitsu

Smash Apprentice
Thanks very much for the advice Delta! I'd have to agree with the points you made, that I don't play defensive enough and that I go offstage way too recklessly. And it's not just Luigi but any character I play, which probably isn't a good thing. Along with the defensive note I definitely need to shield more to counter the dair from fox.

Also I forgot to mention but my friend would also love some criticism from any fox mains as he's trying to get into the tournament scene too!
Not bad so far since you're doing a lot of standard stuff that works, but don't go for Nair so much as it's easy to punish, a shield grab will usually work against it. Jab is a good approach (either walk in with it, Luigi's bad friction makes it easy to move in with a jab) Fair can be a good approach and remember you can do 2 Fair's after a shorthop with no lag, so they can combo in some situations. You're already using jab to grab which is good against spacies, I usually do dthrow then react immediately with up air or try to punish the air dodge with up smash, sometimes they jump away so an up air would work usually. If you can catch Fox with an up tilt when he's around 9% it will combo several times, probably at least 5 or 6, if they are at lower % then turn around grab might work, experiment with it and figure out what's safe. Remember back air is a very important move with Luigi, I can see you already use it just practice spacing with it. You do a lot of Down air into Nair, experiment with other mix ups such as Fair into Up air, Fair into Dair, you can buffer any of his aerials into another aerial and you wont lag, so remember to mix up but try not to just swing at the air too much and aim to hit your opponent or bait them into it. Any aerial you do can be punished if the hitbox misses, for example you might do Fair to Dair on Fox's shield and he just jumps out of shield with Nair to punish.

The one main criticism I'm going to give Young no.1 is he needs to practice movement and lasering. Rolling about isn't good, save rolls for very specific situations or to reset a situation, usually just 1 roll will be used then. Fox has a fast run speed, so why would you roll 3 times in a row? With Fox it's good to practice running to the other end of the stage, tripple lasering (it's easy to do just slide your thumb from Y to B, even if you use X to jump normally, I play Fox for fun and use Y only to tripple laser, slide your thumb from Y to B then press B 2 additional times, OR there are other options such as setting a Dpad button to jump). You can run to the other end of the stage, hold back then jump while he's doing that turning around animation, if you press it straight away you keep moving back and might fall off the stage so be careful and practice it). It's good to consider Fox's speed at all times and use it to run away, run up and grab them at the right moment, and try to figure out when they drop their shield so you can catch them unexpectedly with upsmash. To beat Luigi, run away and laser, shield his approaches (shield grab at the right time) and keep stage control, he's actually quite helpless in this match up if you play it right.

Some Luigi Fox vids on my channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/luigimitsu old videos and we are no pros but you might enjoy watching and learn something.

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
Luigimistu is right is in the way th matcchup goes. Your friend needs to learn to utilize lasers, and grab when your going at his shield. Jab to grab is great, and Luigi. Down throw like luigimistu A is a great way to trap fox, if not most characters. However if your close to the edge coniser fthrow to get him offstage. Also off stage you can or in the air, you can use fireball to bait fox's reflector and then just fair him out of it. It can be a very troubleson mathcup if fox lasrer's properly. However once you get a stock lead, you can crouch under his lasers and make him approach you. One other little trick if you land a sour spot dair on fox on the grou at mid-low percents (like 40's) you can combo right into and up b!

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Hey there everyone, looking to get some critique on my luigi. This is a video of my friend and I, us never having been to a single tournament, but we're looking to get into the scene. Thanks very much in advance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORLaeRGoYPA
Something I'd like to add is when you're recovering, try to save your double jump as long as you possibly can you should exhaust your cyclone and possibly use a missile before you use your double jump, it should be the last thing you use before up-b, I've noticed a lot of Brawl Weegee's don't do this, I picked it up from watching Vist and Abate play Weegee on Melee, but it works equally well in Brawl. It will make you harder to gimp as well as makes your recovery less predictable. Also in game 2 you were trying to force the kill a little too hard, just let it come naturally, you ended up getting it with a nair punish after all the whiffed smashes. Overall your Weegee is pretty solid though, and that shoryuken at the end of game 3 was sexy.

Top Bottom