• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Official LINK VIDEO Thread

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
I wouldn't quote Peaches on that. I'm trying to think back to the brackets and I remember seeing about five brackets on each side, possibly six, meaning there were at least twenty participants, possibly more.
Peaches, M3tr01D, and brdy_ all said there were no more than 15 participants.

Deva

Smash Lord
Peaches, M3tr01D, and brdy_ all said there were no more than 15 participants.
I don't think any of us were keeping an accurate count, however I do remember seeing two sets of five brackets so there had to be at least twenty.

hit0

Smash Journeyman
^^^Heh, a friend of mine who competes in SC2 always complained that the only reason I could beat his Ivy with Link was because he was a broken character. He mentioned something along the lines of how Link was too short to be hit by his mid horizontal attacks.:laugh: I guess he was right. I totally wouldn't mind Link being broken in Brawl.
Amen to that!

BTW, link kicks *** in SC2, mainly because he can just throw the opponent of the stage.

SLH

Smash Journeyman
Amen to that!

BTW, link kicks *** in SC2, mainly because he can just throw the opponent of the stage.
Lol, I always loved throwing someone off stage, then running off the stage right afterwards.

Ashtten

Smash Journeyman
Yeah sorry Deva I counted before I left the tournament there was a total of 17 peole there and only 14 participated in the actual tournament.

Deva

Smash Lord
Alright, I haven't had time to load up all the vids, but here are the matches from the finals. Please watch all three before posting comments. I have already noticed a few flaws, mainly I shield and roll too much. Personally, I like the first vid better, though I think my opponent played much better in the second. Please no tips on my style of play, though I would appreciate it if you could reference certain times during the matches if you see a problem or a specific move you would have found more effective. Enjoy:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZQ2t5duzcM&mode=user&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xC-_Nlzp6g&mode=user&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qly3fETorWY&mode=user&search=

hit0

Smash Journeyman
I liked the matches, your good. However you made some mistakes.

A) If it had been a more experienced sheik (with cg and better techskill and mindgame) you would have paid a heavy price, find a secondary player that can help you take on characters like sheik,falco, etc (i myself use marth)

B) When playing link you need to take in count EVERYTHING (be aggressive or defensive, what attacks to spam, best finisher *dair floaty* *spin fastfaller*, what level to pick, ETC?), you should have picked a small platformed level against sheik. (small platform levels are good vs sheik, Falco, etc)

C) You need to take your time and be patient always sticking to the flow of the game, sometimes (usually at the near end of the match) I noticed you were somewhat pressured to win, this lead to missed attacks (like spin attacks> PUNISHABLE). DON'T BE, this is cured with more tourney experience, you're always going to get nervous in tourneys, but with more experience you will play smarter and be less pressured .

These are the main things I wanted you to realize, other that that I would say that you should work on your techskill and mindgame (this is a MUST for everyone) and also sometiming and spacing (however your already preety good at this).

But to answer your question...YES, YOU ARE DECENT (actually MORE than decent), I also see alot of potential that can be unlocked with some more practice, anyway, good job, I'm convinced.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
You use the upb sooo much. I can't believe that Sheik though. Why would you ever do a bthrow as her?!?!? Decent matches. OMG the Marth did the TGM Combo!!!!!!!!!

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Your opponents where pretty bad and didn't seem to know how to use there own characters. You pretty much exploited that and punished them. I guess the vids where decent overall.

*edit*

You say you play a fast Link...doesn't' seem that way to me at all.

SexyDoodles

Smash Journeyman
you're lucky that shiek wasn't too good >_> you would've been chainthrowed to death..

uhmm, i think there was too much upB. and you need to work on edgegaurding... just like in those fox matches you had you tried to edgeguard by fsmashing against the marth. jumping off and nairing him or dropping a bomb works pretty well against marth. also, dthrow -> fsmash is not a good combo <_< try a utilt.

hit0, i think that FD is actually a good stage to pick against shiek. no platforms = no needle tech and no where to run from your projectiles. just keep her away the whole time w/ em. but then again, grab = death here so i dunno.

not bad. keep working on tech and mindgames. i agree w/ NJzFinest, i thought your Link was pretty sluggish. arrows slow down link's game a lot. not to say they're bad.

i liked the ff7 music =P

Ashtten

Smash Journeyman
C) You need to take your time and be patient always sticking to the flow of the game, sometimes (usually at the near end of the match) I noticed you were somewhat pressured to win, this lead to missed attacks (like spin attacks> PUNISHABLE). DON'T BE, this is cured with more tourney experience, you're always going to get nervous in tourneys, but with more experience you will play smarter and be less pressured .
I laughed at him for that one already, an obvious mistake that should have been punished more.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Your opponents where pretty bad and didn't seem to know how to use there own characters. You pretty much exploited that and punished them. I guess the vids where decent overall.

*edit*

Lol, NJ, I love how blunt you are. I try not to flame people, otherwise I would have said the same thing.

DaZe

Smash Apprentice
meh, link being broken in brawl would take away some of the fun I find in playing him. I'd still play him mind you, it is LINK after all.

As to the vids: For the skills area you guys are at, I guess you're rather well off at present never stop getting better though.

Ash needs to get a few obvious things down. First off Ash: You need to learn the value of the shine. Fox's shine is one of his most effective killers. I saw you shine spike once in the second match, do more of that. Also, fox's shine is good for starting comboes and keeping people away.

Second: Fox's smashes are actually quite useful. I saw you smash a few times out of what looked like desperation. Don't be afraid to smash every now and thenm. His Usmash is especially deadly, except on DRL64.

Third: Your movement in general needs some work. More wavedashing all over the place is generally good for a Fox, dash dancing doesn't usually hurt a Fox's game. For some general examples on what I'm talking about check outthe fox's in this thread

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=702700

I'm not exctly a Fox pro or expert but I play with these guys almost every weekend and they're actually quite good. Zen has actually played pretty much the best Fox in Canada and stacked up fairly decently; in a tourney no less.

As to the Link, I have no specific vids to show you, though the ones NJ'z put up are good. Your movements could use a little work though. Way too much rolling was the most obvious problem.

Also, you really need to learn the value of the up+b. One of Link's most valuable moves. It can kill decently early and not just as the spin spike.

For the most part, everyone here has given some decent advice, follow it and you should improve.

Edit: The link to the thread I posted doesn't appear to be working right now so if you want to find the thrwad, go to the 1v1 vids section and look for a thread called Deox (Peach)vs.Uber Mage(Fox/Marth). It should be on the third page or so.

Edit#2: Wow, I'm stupid, I didn't even notice the next page of the thread. as to those matches though, it's hard to give a proper evaluation because your opponent didn't really seem to know what he was doing. His Shiek definitely needs to be more aggresive. A passive Shiek is going to be pwned senseless by a Link that is anywhere around it's skill level.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=702700=No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

In Aiser's abscense, He has asked me to post something, here it goes:

Fallenpiratevyse (10:10:23 PM): n the "an honest oppinion" thread, type in link in SC2 sucks because he lacks safe moves and has horrible step guard says aiser.
Fallenpiratevyse (10:10:36 PM): you don't have to
Heihachi90 (10:10:41 PM): i shall
Fallenpiratevyse (10:10:45 PM): but that got under my skin when they said he ownd.
Fallenpiratevyse (10:10:46 PM): <_<;
Fallenpiratevyse (10:10:53 PM): when he clearly did not
Fallenpiratevyse (10:11:00 PM): and he has horrible recovery time too

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Lol, NJ, I love how blunt you are. I try not to flame people, otherwise I would have said the same thing.
I didn't flame him, I only stated my own opinion and it wasn't completely insulting him. I mean, Link beating Sheik, has to be something wrong. Obviously the Sheik player has to be worst the Link player or the Sheik player does know how to use Sheik "correctly". I also said the vids were still decent.

If I wanted to flame him, I'd post like pronstarpwnzor:

"lolz, dat sheik is poop, dis link suckz!!!"

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Nononono, you flamed the Sheik. I didn't want to though...cuz...yeah.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
meh, I think my post was a little to light to a flame, I mean, I don't think the Sheik player will burst into tears, but I've been in situations where people saw it the other way :p

1 more post and your a smash apprentice Spawn :p

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
big improvement from your first vids with ash. i just have a few things i would like to mention.

you depend on the spin attack as an edge-guarding tool entirely too
much. again, i didn't see you use your nair to intercept your opponents recovery when you should have; even though it's kind of difficult to land on
sheik. also, if i remember correctly, you didn't ledge-hop once. around 2:15
of the second video vs sheik, there was a perfect time to use your ledge-hop
into a dair, which would of probably ko'ed her. against marth, link's side-step and uair are quite useful. smart use of your bombs while he's trying to recover is a good idea--there are too many bomb strategies to mention in detail.

since you roll a lot, it would be better to use the c-stick when doing so. when you roll with the control stick, the shield shifts a little before the actual roll takes place, which leaves you vulnerable to certain attacks; however, the c-stick eliminates the shield shift and you'll roll instantly. also, i would recommend side-stepping with the c-stick as well. you can hold down on the c-stick and block button during the animation of one of your attacks, thus allowing you to side-step on the first frame possible. for example, perform link's dash attack and then immediately hold down L/R and down on the c-stick; you won't have to guess when the animation ends to dodge.

overall, i think you're decent and see potential. work on edge-guarding and think about all of the "out-of-shield" moves you have available to you. play as many different smashers as you possibly can, and pick up a second character. congrats on your tourney victory

Deva

Smash Lord
Um...I'm sorry but I don't remember saying that. I might have forgotten, but I'm pretty sure you're mistaken. I have said I like a balance between fast and slow Link, though I never said I play like that. As for the Sheik, I don't know why he played so passively. Against every other player at the Tourney he was on fire. He hadn't lost a single match before playing me. There's a vid of him against a decent Fox at the turney. I'll try to get up
the vid soon cause he really is a skilled Shiek. We have played some before and I think it surprised him that I could win against his Shiek with Link so he played more responsively. I utterly ***** him when he tried to rush me. I tend to play a more responsive Link and only speed up if I feel I can get in a combo. He must have assumed I was too good at guessing his moves so he tried to guess mine. Obviously not the best idea with Shiek.

Ashtten

Smash Journeyman
Ash needs to get a few obvious things down. First off Ash: You need to learn the value of the shine. Fox's shine is one of his most effective killers. I saw you shine spike once in the second match, do more of that. Also, fox's shine is good for starting comboes and keeping people away.
Yes I have worked a lot on that... I still have trouble with the waveshine but I am improving... I have greatly improved the spike though:cool:

Second: Fox's smashes are actually quite useful. I saw you smash a few times out of what looked like desperation. Don't be afraid to smash every now and thenm. His Usmash is especially deadly, except on DRL64.
Ah yes the smashes... the one reason I did not smash Link all that much is he, Samus, and Y. Link are special in that when I space my up-smash out of a dash perfectly they can still shield grab me. What I mean is I have played other characters where when I up-smash them at the perfect distance from them and they shield grab afterwards I am out of thier grab range, however when I do so to any of the extention grabbers I am shield grabbed. I have been repeatedly punished for that and I figure a few mind games would do well to fix that problem.

Third: Your movement in general needs some work. More wavedashing all over the place is generally good for a Fox, dash dancing doesn't usually hurt a Fox's game.
I still have trouble implementing the wavedash into my game well, but I have gotten better. As for dash dancing I agree with you I need to use it more and I do not.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
AAAH! YouTube is down! ... *dies*

Fortunately, I already saw all three matches earlier today when I was at my fiancee's apartment. I need to watch them again in order to write a decent review, so I'll do that when YouTube comes around. In the mean time, yeah, that Sheik should've destroyed you on Final Destination (all three matches???). She was way too passive. It's almost stupid to pick Sheik if you're going to play that defensively.

Pixelation500

Smash Apprentice
i got banned (new account), originally pronstarpwn
WOW

u guys both completely suck

im being serious

yea nice rush down shiek... omg wats he gonna do! omgzz another dash attack

nice up-b spam, nice mindgames too.... no wait u had no mindgames

get good before u start saying stuff like,"omgz link cann win an mlg cuz i won a tourney!1"

/end raging flame

edit: im only being harsh so u'll learn my son...

i still <3 you

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
NJz, are you amazed at me having over 500 posts?...(sees your almost 4000 posts) *backs down from trying to impress*...so, yeah, I would have definitely burst into tears if I was that Sheik player and you had said that to me. Until I saw the videos, then I'd be like, oh wow, NJz was right. I do suck. Then I would practice for hours and become decent. That's just me though.

Chip.

you know what to do
Being that as it may, I am Deva's younger brother and also close friends with Ashurman. Both of these players had an excellent aggresive style of fighting. Link played like he was controlling the feild, but Ash rushed in with amazing offense. I'll tell y'a, Ashurman looks a lot better on camera than when I play him in person. His Fox did a nice job trying to beat the crap out've Link and used his shine to a somewhat of a good extent. It would've been nice to see him edgehog better and shinewave Link, but Ash is good for where he's at. Deva, played well in a sense of countering the Fox at every move. He couldv'e done a better job of actually hitting the Fox with the spin attack, but his style overall did well against Ash.

Deva

Smash Lord
Chip, this is an old thread and you're looking at the wrong vids.....I can't believe you actually thought they were good. Seriously, those vids were pretty bad.:laugh:

tHrilla`

Smash Journeyman
Chip, this is an old thread and you're looking at the wrong vids.....I can't believe you actually thought they were good. Seriously, those vids were pretty bad.:laugh:
haha, deva. now you understand where njzfinest was coming from all these times. you yourself thought they were good when you first started this thread, but that's exactly how it should be. your new opinion on these matches obviously suggests that you've noticeably improved in a short amount of time. you can count your video debut as a success. good job.

Epok

Smash Ace
As a up and comming link player mysel, not bad your definatly on your way. when playing characters that are faster than you, you have to keep them from moving all over the place. for instance against people like fox. you can pull them to the gound by using you light a attacks. there also very for lack of a better word "comboable" so try using more shield grabs and setting up combos. since link is such an ajustable character the best thing i can tell you is learn to read your opponets the exploit it. find that thing he/she likes to do and find a way to counter it. not to shabby though, keep wporkin at it

Chip.

you know what to do
.......Wow, maybe youv'e gotten better, but Ashtten got worse :laugh: ......

technomancer

Smash Champion
Fox has GOT to learn to dashdance and apply pressure. Practice your SHFFL'd nairs and bairs so you can do them in every variation, and then work on your speed. When you blaster, short hop blaster. If you're just standing there blastering, you're not a threat, and can't react. The damage you lose is quickly regained; two or three blaster hits will do at most 8%, which generally doesn't make a difference, and the added mobility is amazing; the same with your SHFFL game. You don't do as much damage as C-sticking smashes, but you land more hits, and you'll learn to combo them better as well. Also, throws, do them.

Link is OK, just needs more speed. You will improve as the Fox improves, mindgames-wise.

Edit- hey more vids. Sheik was terrible, wtf? He would kinda be weird, then go for a dash attack, then be like needles, and then he'd try to throw in some random aerials or something? There was one time where he ran at you and tried to SH uair you out of nowhere, whiffing completely. Anyway, you spotdodge/sheildgrab-pwned his face, as well you should have.

Anyway, faster, more mobile, and maybe work on getting out of tight spots.

Deva

Smash Lord
haha, deva. now you understand where njzfinest was coming from all these times. you yourself thought they were good when you first started this thread, but that's exactly how it should be. your new opinion on these matches obviously suggests that you've noticeably improved in a short amount of time. you can count your video debut as a success. good job.
Thanks tHrilla, my main problem in those first vids was I made them while wave dashing hadn't been implemented into my style. That's why certain moves seemed out of place the vids from a month ago show how I played after it had become part of my style. I'm hosting a tourney on the 27th and apparently some more well known players will be attending so look forward to more vids.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
heh, tourney is gonna be in 4 days. hopefully I'll be able to show you some fun suprises I've been working on.

Skler

Smash Master

The GERM

Smash Ace
New match vids from latest bi-weekly

Hey guys, haven't had any new match vids in years, here's some with me against the one and only Silent Spectre at the last bi-weekly, All Link vs. Falcon.

Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ2UhLdMx24

Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgu2YdWiWvs

Match 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNbuFbOmPjs

Match 1: effed up at the end, but very good match.
Match 2: Dreamland's a good stage for spacing against Falcon, close match.
Match 3: I rushed it midway and got handed but got some good combos in.

Here's some more of my Link vs. Zelgadis's space animals.

Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_AWUquEDZY

Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5rP1he4bfs

Match 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3067eNwy-8

Match 1: fist time losing to Zel's Falco with Link in tournament, I missed a lot of oppurtunities to kill during the last stock and payed for it, didn't see the suicide spike coming either....
Match 2: Suicided but still won, managed to get a quick kill in, that's what saved me. Full jump sex kick vs. fast fallers = too good.
Match 3: I knew he would counter this stage for the quick up air kills. Up throw up air = gayest sh** in the world, love you Trebor.

Top Bottom