• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "I need help with ___"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
Yes, some are more difficult than others, but theres also.....Game and Watch. I'm about 90 percent certain that all of his aerials are non l-canelable.
I think his dair can be lcanceled, maybe

Oh and all aerials should be lcancelled, though its more crucial for certain char than others
compare ganondorf/sheik

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
I'm having trouble perfecting the bomb jump with Link. First, I tend to FF when I try to pull out a bomb. Can you still do it if you FF? Also, should can you be DIing toward the stage as you throw the bomb up? Better yet, is there a page anyone could link me to that will help demonstrate or teach this technique?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I find that if you like, almost do like you would in a smash attack with taking out the momb, so that you have minimal contact with the control stick, then you'll FF less often.

capncone

Smash Apprentice
It seems like when ever I try to spike someone with Marth's dair, I might meteor smash them, but i just end up falling off the stage because I can't recover fast enough. I usually try to get them when they're even with the stage. Should I stay closer to the stage? What should I do.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
If you should usually try to dAir immediately after a jump. This shoud give you enough time to recover before it's too late. Also, resist jumping too far out after your opponent because Marth's uB isn't that great at recovering horizontally. If you do get too far out, just remember that fB is a great last-ditch move to climbing closer to the stage.

BUnit

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I'm trying to get better competitively, but usually when I play against my friends, they like to roll around a lot. I was wondering, what I should do instead, or just rolling around with them and is there anyway to punish them for doing it so much.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
Hey, I'm trying to get better competitively, but usually when I play against my friends, they like to roll around a lot. I was wondering, what I should do instead, or just rolling around with them and is there anyway to punish them for doing it so much.
It depends who you play. Each character has moves to punish roll spammers. Link, for example can use his dsmash to stop rolls behind him. A lot of characters can use the dsmash to stop rollers. You should learn to wavedash- it's a lot more handy, but it'll take you some practice. The wavedash is the essence of the smasher. You can also wait until they roll behind you, and grab as they come out of the roll.

Sodapop

Smash Apprentice
Question. Are there any differences between playing this game on the Wii and on the Gamecube? Because Ive been playing it on the Wii and am going to a tourney in a week. I think they're playing it on the GC, so I need to know if theres any difference between the two consoles.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Alot of people tend to roll the same way in the same situations, so you can essentially get used to where they're going to roll so you can fake one way, to get them to roll. You can punish them with projectiles, Fox's shield-****, or all you have to do is get one good grab on them, and just trie and keep them airbound so they can't shield and roll. DONT ROLL WITH THEM. If you follow their movements, you are one step behind them, giving them time to shield grab you right out of your roll.

Question. Are there any differences between playing this game on the Wii and on the Gamecube? Because Ive been playing it on the Wii and am going to a tourney in a week. I think they're playing it on the GC, so I need to know if theres any difference between the two consoles.
I can't tell you for sure if there are any technical differences between lag times or speed, but I can tell you that I have a Wii that i play it on on our tv by the pool, and a cube in my room and I don't notice a difference.

darknesszero

Smash Rookie
Quick questions about wavedashes:

Does it matter if I use the L button rather than most people who use R? Because I find myself usually able to do wavedashes about 9 out of 10 tries with L as opposed to R.

Also, instead of waveshielding, how do I efficiently execute wavesmashes or any attack/jump/evasive maneuver out of a wavedash?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Still better than wavedashing in that situation (assuming you can already wavedash pretty well) is wave shielding or even wavedashing out of the shield. This way you can either get just outside of their range and attack immediately out of the wave dash, or waveshield till the spacing permits a wavedash out of the shield into an attack.

This was to B-Unit.

Darkness, it is simply a preference thing. I'm right hand dominant and I take alot of of time to practice waveshielding and any other techniques that requires a quick left hand. For wavesmashes, its better to c-stick them than to direc-A them. Luigi is a good example with wavedash to f-smash. I learned it from him and now use it with my other characters.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
Is wavedashing still illegal in tournaments? Because I play my friends, and there's this one who pisses and moans when I wavedash out of situations where he should hit me and I counter and hit him. He says "It's not fair because I can't do it, and it's not even legal in tournament play anyway." To this, I usually tell him "So what if you can't do it? Doesn't that just mean I'm better than you? And since when is this casual 1v1 a tournament?" and then he just gets pissed and cries more and I secede from the fight because I'd rather just beat in in Smash than in a verbal arguement.

But if I had the knowledge as to whether or not wavedashing is "Tournament Legal" then I'd have that much on him, and I can just rip him on the fact that I'm better than him. :D

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wavedashing has never ever been banned?

Basically, if they whine, just ask them: if it's so good, why don't you use it yourself?

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Yah why don't you teach them it or tell them to put more practice into it. Wavedash is not illegal to my knowledge because MLG uses it so...it may depend where you are though.

*somewhere above* You don't experience different play on the Wii to Gamecube...it is the same.
*somewhere above again* I WD with L also...whatever your comfortable and better with, do it.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Really take it to consideration. Rolling is good once in a while but a bad habit. Learn to WD, Dash Dance, and other stuff to quickly enhance your play...have you seen the advance technique videos...

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Teach your friends Dyce. If they always suck, your not gonna get better.
if your friends can not WD, then could they at least L-cancel. If they can't, there is only one word I have to say...n00bs!

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!!...okay I will settle down. Anyways, in smash, show no mercy...
Anyone n00bs to the site have any other questions for help?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'm too lazy to check the first post on this thread, but you guys can/should get more specific info at each characters forum in the melee character specific forum you'll find out many-a technique you didn't know the character had and it will immensely improve your game.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Is wavedashing still illegal in tournaments? Because I play my friends, and there's this one who pisses and moans when I wavedash out of situations where he should hit me and I counter and hit him. He says "It's not fair because I can't do it, and it's not even legal in tournament play anyway." To this, I usually tell him "So what if you can't do it? Doesn't that just mean I'm better than you? And since when is this casual 1v1 a tournament?" and then he just gets pissed and cries more and I secede from the fight because I'd rather just beat in in Smash than in a verbal arguement.

But if I had the knowledge as to whether or not wavedashing is "Tournament Legal" then I'd have that much on him, and I can just rip him on the fact that I'm better than him. :D
Ahhh! I saw the later posts about this, so I went back. TEACH YOUR FRIENDS! I agree strongly with everyone who said the same thing. The only way you'll get better is if you get your friends to improve and push youevery time you play, so that when you play, you have to play to win. Playing to win is what separates the scrubs from the smash champs my friend.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Well, that is going to far but you will certainly get better. These chumps from school all thought they would pwn me but when we fought, I WD and they were like "WTF!"... I taught them and one sucks and gave up(n00b) and the other is mastering it slowly, though, they still aren't a challenge.(I don't know the point of this story but if it helps then your welcome.)Just teach then play.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I can't play to win, actually I can but it'd involve me camping and hiding the whole match until 2 people die. And yes, I'm forced to:

A) play FFA
B) don't play smash until i get a Wii, which won't be happening happening anytime soon.

So, yeah, I'm pretty much screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom