• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "I need help with ___"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
1st - to l-cancel, it is to reduce the lag frames of an "A" aerial.

when doing a full jump to land, there is no lag when u touch the ground, u can waveland, to make ur character move left or right, but otherwise it isnt l-cancelling.

2nd - if it is finished, then u its just like falling on the ground with no lag, if u were to press L before u touch the ground, it would result in air dodge, wavelanding, or shielding.
ground lag is 4 frames actually, cept for pichu in which the lag is 2 frames

EHDL [Edge hop double lazer] or LHDL [Ledge hop double lazer] I'm guessing they are the same thing..?
one of them requires you hop from the ledge, but the other requires only a midair jump after you go past the edge area

and how to pull it off.
even i had trouble with this couple years back.
what you probably dont do is press the b fast enough. it is important to realize that there is no pattern for the 2 lasers, and you HAVE to quickly mash the b button. oh and try not to jump right away but wait like 10 frames to 20

Tyson651

Smash Lord
well, with those 4 frames of lag, it does nearly nothing, i wouldnt want to waveland every single time i touch the ground. anyways, u wouldnt be faking with full jumps, and if u are, stop it. faking with short hops would be much better anyway, and if those have 4 frames of lag, then its nothing to worry about cause i can do smashes/grabs right immediately after landing.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
You can escape combos with it, you can escape chaingrabs with it, you can take advantage of the lag your opponent has when he attacks and you DI away and most importantly it can help you stay on the stage and avoid getting knocked straight off the screen.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'm not sure anymore, I thought you had to hold the control stick in the direction you want to DI but then I heard you have to hold it perpendicular to the direction you want to DI. There's a thread about it around here so you can check it out.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
without DI u would probably die 30-70% faster on each life. thats how important it is.

and this is only mentioning DI'ing strong attacks that send u off the stage.

to DI like this, u hold it about 5 degrees left of 90 degrees (from straight up) if ur being smashed to the right. or hold it 5 degees right of 90 degrees (from straight up) if ur being smashed to the left.

these "smashes" are only for fsmashes such as marth's, falcon's falco's fox's etc.

for usmashes, that send u straight up, it is best to DI in straight left/right for whichever direction they are facing, so ull have to DI straight right if they are facing right. and vice versa.

keep in mind all the DI directions are perpendicular to the trajectory of a non-DI'd flight.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I have no idea what DI'ing looks like. It sounds just like "moving the heck out of the way in the air so you don't get your arse whooped", as me and my friends like to call it. Is there some YouTube video I could see that could explain this better? I work better with visuals when people talk to me about videogames.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Thats because(I believe)It's not an attack. When your sent flying, you do it to give you a less chance from blowing off the screen.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
If you want to see good smash DI, go to youtube and look up captain jack vs ek. CJ survives a tipper on yoshi's story at like 100% damage with his crazy smash di.

DI not only helps you survive longer when you get hit off the stage, but it helps you escape getting comboed.

ISeeTheLight

Smash Rookie
@ IK GOST, you need an emulator (nintendo 64 emulator) and super smash bros. 64 rom, which are both fairly illegal, unless you own the actual games. Once you download an emulator and get a smash bros rom, you can play it, but you need a screen recorder like game cam or fraps to record you play. you cant play melee on comp yet, few have succeded but a ROM for ssbm is near impossible to find.

and a question of my own, im a bit of a noob at fighting and im having trouble on the event, Trophy Tussle 2. I find it very difficult. I manage to KO one opponent by jumping off the edge and recovering and one of them will come with me and suicide, but the other 2 opponents get me up to high percents and KO me pretty fast.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
How so? Please tell me more, I'm interested in this now.

I watched the Captain Jack / EK video but I still don't see what the big difference is. Maybe I DI and just don't know it yet?
I just watched it and I can point out what he means, Dyce.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XpaW1WRm1eU

Theres the exact match, the DI we are talking about happens at exactly 2:25.

Notice how shiek is near 100% and she gets tippered by marth on the smallest stage? She should be dead right? Not with DI! ;)

What CJ did was DI upwards and away from where he was supposed to be sent (right side of the screen) and therefore survived.

If you want to learn HOW to DI there is a VERY detailed guide on this site somewhere, find it. Its mostly just holding the C-stick and control stick in the direction you want to go, AND you have SMASH di where you slam the stick in the direction you wanna go as soon as you get hit, theres other stuff too that I cant name off the top of my head.

Anyway AUTO di is strongest (just holding the control stick where you wanna go) but Smash DI helps a LOT to customize your situation to your advantage, or at least stop you from being killed.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Okay I need help with the JC Shine with Fox. I typically don't play as Fox, but I like to balance out my play with all. In alot of the fox guides they mention JC'd shines, but never explain how to do it. Unless I'm not doing something right button wise, I can't figure out hot they stay on the ground.

This is all I could find on youtube in the way of 'How to JC Shine'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovxWM9ou-VU

Mr. Sun

Smash Rookie
I really see no need in posting here, as I'm sure that hundreds of people post questions every day.
Well, whilst browsing the internet, I came upon 'SHFFLing.' "Cool," I thought to myself "Another technique to master." Well, I wasn't that great. I spent an hour or so trying to get the 'L-cancel' down, but with no avail. I'm one of those people who needs to keep doing something 'till they're good at it. Unfortunately, I'm also a person who easily gets angry when I can't do something correctly. Needless to say, not being able to 'SHFFL' completely ***** my love for the smash. I no longer felt like I wanted to play, because SHFFLing is important, according to anyone who I've talked to. I do not know whether or not these glitches will be included in Brawl, but I want to be ready for the online world with players that may exploit these tricks. I wont stand a chance if I don't know how, so I ask you...

Are SHFFling/L-canceling really that important?
and, if so,
How do I get better at L-cancels?

Are there any veteran smashers that are good, but still don't L-cancel?
Can I be good without L-cancels and SHFFLs?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Well the l-cancel hold the whole technique together. here are my suggestions for practicing. Use Bowser, young link, or ganon. With bowser, use his down aerial, and practice l canceling. Same with ganons forward aerial and links down aerial. There is a distinct visual difference, you WILL notice the difference, and once you can do it with them , you'll get used to it with different characters.

Mr. Sun

Smash Rookie
Thanks, I'll try. What abut with other characters? Does everyone need to use it?
And, how much does it help?
If two people with relatively same skill levels played, would the l-canceler (or SHFFler) be noticeably better?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Okay I need help with the JC Shine with Fox. I typically don't play as Fox, but I like to balance out my play with all. In alot of the fox guides they mention JC'd shines, but never explain how to do it. Unless I'm not doing something right button wise, I can't figure out hot they stay on the ground.

This is all I could find on youtube in the way of 'How to JC Shine'
You just shine and jump just after you shine, if you try to jump to late you won't jump out of the shine, I think there's a frame box of around 1-10 frames to do it in.

Thanks, I'll try. What abut with other characters? Does everyone need to use it?
And, how much does it help?
If two people with relatively same skill levels played, would the l-canceler (or SHFFler) be noticeably better?
I don't mean to disrespect the other person that gave you advise, but it's best to practice SHFFLing with your main because it will be much faster that way. With you main you know the sweet spots [like Capt Falcon's knee for example] and the start-up and lag time as well as how fast your character falls.

And to answer your question, yes, the SHFFLer would get his moves out faster and finish them faster, the person who can't would leave himself open to attack very often and would most likely lose the match.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Well my point is that maybe they didn't understand the difference betweena SHFFL'd attack and a normal one. Wit hthose characters you cn definitely see that it is vital. And of course you need to practice with your main, they jsut didn't seem like they thought there was a major difference.

And I edited my JC Shine question, theres a video now, and I don't really want to figure out how to do it that quickly, but to do it with out jumping out of it.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Yes, some are more difficult than others, but theres also.....Game and Watch. I'm about 90 percent certain that all of his aerials are non l-canelable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom