• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Ok, can you link me to the hack pack download? i'm new to melee.
Also, in 20XX hack pack TE is their a way to upload the replays to your computer
Oh, you can your homebrew software.
This all just so confusing O.O
Here's the hack pack link:
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-20xx-melee-training-hack-pack-v4-05-update-3-17-16.351221/
If you get the 4.05 version I recommend changing the computers back to the earlier AI if that's an option.

As far as TE edition goes I don't know much about it. I assume if you save something to your memory card it would be hard to get on your computer, but I really don't know. Might be easier with HomeBrew and saving the data to an SD card/USB drive, but again I don't know much about TE

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
What if the Japanese took this game seriously like they do other games and traveled overseas a lot? What would happen to the meta game then?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
What if the Japanese took this game seriously like they do other games and traveled overseas a lot? What would happen to the meta game then?
Not much; Japan's not nearly as good as they used to be in comparison to America since more of them switched over to Brawl and Sm4sh, and their scene isn't quite as large. Unless they have another low tier hero that they've been hiding for years, in that case they could cause another character to make leaps and bounds up the tier list.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Not much; Japan's not nearly as good as they used to be in comparison to America since more of them switched over to Brawl and Sm4sh, and their scene isn't quite as large. Unless they have another low tier hero that they've been hiding for years, in that case they could cause another character to make leaps and bounds up the tier list.
I'm sure that if their scene blew up and has numbers rivaling their mainstay fighters, advancements in the game would be ridiculous due to their known forte of optimization.

Jtwalling

Smash Rookie
Welcome to the Question & Answer Thread and FAQ's

This thread's purpose is to try and keep the melee discussion board from being so cluttered and give those that are new to the game or those that have just a general question about the game to come here and ask! Everyone here is willing to help you, so don't be afraid to ask even the dumbest question! As long as it goes in here, you probably won't get trolled...probably :)

Also anyone feel free to IM me about this thread and smash in general, I love talking about smash online.

A Guide About Competitive Smash by SCOTU This a really good guide made by SCOTU, some of it is brawl material, but the general concepts apply. Read it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fun stuff to read

The almighty Magus DI Thread (Credit Witchking for Compiling)

Witchking Compilation of frame data

Mew2King's SSBM Statistics List

Out of Shield options frame data by Wiseman

The Official Everything Thread - The Basics, How to Improve, Frame Data, etc

FAQ’s

What is a frame?
A frame is 1/60th of a second, so 60 frames = 1 second.

How do I L cancel?
There are three timings to L cancelling: hitting nothing, hitting an opponent, hitting multiple opponents (ice climbers, teams, hitting shy guys on YS, etc), and hitting a shield. Each three have varied timings for each aerial. The only real way to get better at l cancelling is practicing.

How do I practice L cancelling on a shield if I don’t have anyone to play?
Go grab a rubber band, and around another controller wrap the rubber band around L or R and just go play.

What is DI, SDI, and ASDI and how are they different?
DI is your directional influence. After you are hit by an attack you are sent away in a direction depending on the attack. DI affects the trajectory at which you are flying at after you are hit. The better your DI is, the higher chance you have at living at higher %. There are frames of hitlag where you are frozen right before you are sent flying by an attack. During these frames, you can move using Smash DI. If you smash the control stick in that hitlag, your character “teleports” to that direction. It isn’t a very big difference, but enough to save yourself (Sdi’ing a fox uair). Automatic smash Di, or ASDI, occurs on the 1st frame of hitlag. The game reads the position of the stick on the frame of hitlag. C stick out prioritizes the control stick in this situation. The difference between SDI and ASDI is that ASDI doesn’t send you as far as SDI.

So…what are the best ways to DI?
Well it depends on the situation. If you want to DI out of a combo, You most likely hold away along with another direction depending on the move. If you want to survive a hit, like Marth’s fmash, then you want to survival DI, which is perpendicular to the trajectory that the move is sending you. For SDI and ASDI, it depends on what you are trying to do. Sometimes people try to SDI and ASDI into the stage so that they can tech. Other times they try to avoid follow ups, like the second hit of fox’s uair. Other times we try to tech on the stage so we SDI or ASDI in towards the stage so we don’t die from an edgeguard. It’s really situational depending on what you are trying to do.

Who should I main?
We can’t tell you. It all depends on how you want to play. For example, I love playing as sheik, but I don’t think most others do. I just find her enjoyable to play as. It’s all about preference, so take time to figure it out.

What exactly is CC?
CC is crouch cancelling. When you are hit while you are crouching, your knockback is reduced and hitstun is reduced apparently. You can also crouch cancel to cancel a dash. At low percentages you don’t fall over and can react with a variety of things, but when you start getting to higher percentages you fall and you can get wrecked…or you can tech it.

What are all these grabs?
Well theres your basic standing grab, dash grab, jump cancel (jc) grab, boost grab, pivot grab, and dash dance grab. The first two are exactly what their name implies. A jump cancelled grab is a grab where you dash, jump then grab before you start the jump animation. A boost grab is where you cancel the dash attack animation with a grab. A pivot grab is when you utilize the pivot, where you dash, then dash back into the neutral position instead of dashing the opposite direction, and grab. A dash dance grab is also exactly what it sounds like. When you dash dance, then grab. Each is good in its own right. You rarely use standing and dash grab. JC grab almost always > dash grab. Boost grab is really only good for the characters that gain momentum in their dash attacks, as they speed up when they grab, giving them a slight frame advantage. Pivot grabs are good for chaingrabing characters or for spacing, and same with DD grabs.

When Can I tech?
You can tech within 20 frames of hitting the ground, and then you can’t try for another 40.

What is buffering?
Out of a shield you can buffer an attack so that it does what you are imputing as soon as possible. You can jump cancel an upsmash, roll, jump and side dodge.

My favorite question: What button should I use for *insert command*?
WHATEVER THE **** YOU WANT

I'm going to my first tournament, what should I expect??

Don’t, for the love of god, expect to win. Come expecting to give it everything you’ve got and play to win, but don’t feel disappointed if you don’t come in first, or top 15, or make it out of pools even. Some of these players have been playing this game for 4-5 years, maybe more. Even if you haven’t heard their name, it doesn’t mean they still aren’t good. But come to play, come to win, but most importantly come to have fun. Be open with the players that are there. There is seriously nothing like the melee community. You will be glad you are apart of it. But again I digress. Please never expect anyone to have a controller for you. It is your responsibility to bring a controller to play with, besides, I personally like to play with a controller I know will work and know the ins and outs of. Don’t be late, don’t be late in your games, don’t john, don’t complain unless its legit, be a good sport. As far as money, it will usually cost 5-10 dollars for teams and another 5-15 dollars for singles. Plus, you will want money for food and drink, as these tournaments last the whole day. So 45-50 dollars is more than enough. Just be ready, don’t be an ***, and be prepared to meet a ton of new people and have a lot of fun!

Read this . Help TO's out in anyway you can, even if it means just not being late to the tourney, playing your matches when your supposed to, and cleaning up after yourself.

If I missed any or more pop up let me know and I will edit this
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So for the love of all things beautiful..

USE THIS THREAD
Hey im new and i was wondering what the best ways to practice would be. I know just playing is the best way but i need to work on my tech skills mainly.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Hey im new and i was wondering what the best ways to practice would be. I know just playing is the best way but i need to work on my tech skills mainly.
Fight a lvl 3 CPU with 10 mins on the clock (you can put whatever time you want on it, just something around 10 mins is good).

Is there any shield pressure that would break shield 100% of the time? Assuming you are TAS perfect and the opponent lets go of shield immediately after they are in shield stun (as soon as they exit shield stun it disappears).

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
I've heard it's possible to train on Home Run Contest, at least with 20XX. How do I not let the timer go, and how do I get the camera to follow me?

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I've heard it's possible to train on Home Run Contest, at least with 20XX. How do I not let the timer go, and how do I get the camera to follow me?
The camera follows only one of the players (I wanna say the second player but I don't remember since it's hard to practice with the funky camera). Idk about the timer, it's never gone on for me.

Is there any shield pressure that would break shield 100% of the time? Assuming you are TAS perfect and the opponent lets go of shield immediately after they are in shield stun (as soon as they exit shield stun it disappears).
I don't believe so, although I think I've heard that frame perfect Fox multishining beats out at least all non invincible options, but you can still buffer roll and get hit out of your roll. That could be completely wrong but I'm fairly certain there's no shield pressure string that is guaranteed to break shield.

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Blizzard is the only move they have capable of keeping someone locked in shield, but you can't desync blizzard with Popo without Nana doing one in the opposite direction, even if his blizzard is already almost over.
Blizzard is strong, but you can also use strong aerials to creates lots of shieldstun. Utitlt is also pretty good. Kyu Puff wrote about this a long time ago. Any informed player would be able to escape this stuff with strong shield SDI though.

The mat master

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMatMaster
3DS FC
3952-7551-8577
I been watching since Apex last year but have just recently started to play about Smash Summit 2. For my question, is there a certain point that I should try to specialize in a character? So far I have pretty much just playing with one of my friends who is not that good. My best character I think is Marth but I also like to play Falcon, Falco, Fox, Sheik, Young Link and Puff just because I have fun playing them and I understand them slightly. Is this a good thing, I don't really know? Something I have noticed is that back in the golden age and the old school players in general would randomly pull out other characters while more modern players just seem to have their one main and maybe eventually a second main if they get really good. How does playing multiple characters benefit over just one? Just some general questions that I am a little confused on.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
The general consensus seems to be that concentrating on a single character is best if you want to improve as quickly as possible for you. The theory is that the skills needed to play different characters are distinct enough that improving your play with one char doesn't convert that well to playing other chars. So spreading your time across multiple chars would mean your best character isn't as good as it would be if you concentrated solely on it.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
I been watching since Apex last year but have just recently started to play about Smash Summit 2. For my question, is there a certain point that I should try to specialize in a character? So far I have pretty much just playing with one of my friends who is not that good. My best character I think is Marth but I also like to play Falcon, Falco, Fox, Sheik, Young Link and Puff just because I have fun playing them and I understand them slightly. Is this a good thing, I don't really know? Something I have noticed is that back in the golden age and the old school players in general would randomly pull out other characters while more modern players just seem to have their one main and maybe eventually a second main if they get really good. How does playing multiple characters benefit over just one? Just some general questions that I am a little confused on.
The simple fact of the matter is that you can't truly focus on seven characters. Professional Melee players recommend practicing at least three hours daily, and while Smash 4 isn't as deep or technically demanding, there's still a solid idea there. How can you spend over an hour a day on all of those characters? You're forced to pick some here and there and to leave others in the dust.
My recommendation is to stick to as few as you feel that you need. Playing around with different characters is fun, but choose two or three max that you really want to know on a deep level. From the ones that you listed, Fox and Sheik are solid top-tier picks, but feel free to stick with something lower tier if you really enjoy it. A good friend of mine is a Shulk main, and one of the best players around here plays Jiggs. Do what you want, but stay focused.

Last edited:

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
Is there a thread that already exists or somewhere that I can be directed that goes over shield pressure in depth. As in, what the whole cast is capable of and to what degrees/ranking.

I know a lot about Spacies since they have infamous shield pressure because of how their shines work. But I have been researching Yoshi's shield pressure finding that his DJC Nairs well timed are faster than even Fox's SHFFL Nair pressure (his DJC Uairs being almost as fast). And it got me curious about what the whole cast is capable of...like drop cancel shield pressure, frame traps, or even single heavy shield damage moves like Yoshi's Dair, Shield Breaker, and DK's Up-B.

Also is there a table with all the special/normal shield damage figures?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Is there a thread that already exists or somewhere that I can be directed that goes over shield pressure in depth. As in, what the whole cast is capable of and to what degrees/ranking.

I know a lot about Spacies since they have infamous shield pressure because of how their shines work. But I have been researching Yoshi's shield pressure finding that his DJC Nairs well timed are faster than even Fox's SHFFL Nair pressure (his DJC Uairs being almost as fast). And it got me curious about what the whole cast is capable of...like drop cancel shield pressure, frame traps, or even single heavy shield damage moves like Yoshi's Dair, Shield Breaker, and DK's Up-B.
I've never found a comprehensive thread about shield pressure for characters. There are little blurbs here and there. I think the reason they don't exist is because there are so many options for shield pressure as well as ifs, ands, and buts. You can try searching the Melee Library (linked in my signature) for "shield" and see what you find. There are a few posts about the mechanics of shield pressure and a few videos covering some shield pressure options for some characters. I wrote this about Peach's shield pressure.

Almost all the information about shield pressure in the community is held in memory and transferred through word of mouth.

Also is there a table with all the special/normal shield damage figures?
Sorta. In Kadano's thread, there is a link to download an Excel spreadsheet that has all the hitboxes in the game and their properties. Use that to look up the values for the move's damage and extra shield damage (column labeled "SD" I believe). Then plug those numbers in to the formulas Magus provides to get the shield damage. Shields have max health of 60 and you'll subtract the output of the formula from that shield health.

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
Thanks that was what I was thinking as well I've searched high and low. I might make a compiled thread about it then once I fully research.

And oh God...please no Splits erase your post and all Peach data. I have long feared the day that Peach mains will be able to implement her insane her Float cancel pressure. It will be Judgment day, everyone will have no choice but to play Peach or die.

....no, Peach no....don't come any closer......AHHHHHHHHHH!! x.x

Sycorax

Smash Ace
And oh God...please no Splits erase your post and all Peach data. I have long feared the day that Peach mains will be able to implement her insane her Float cancel pressure. It will be Judgment day, everyone will have no choice but to play Peach or die.
It's honestly not that powerful. Sure she has the 3rd best shield pressure in the game, but it's incredibly hard for her to get it started. She's just too slow to catch her opponent, and make them feel pressured to shield. A competent opponent should will be able to easily avoid shielding against Peach in a situation where she'll have her strong mixups.

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
It's honestly not that powerful. Sure she has the 3rd best shield pressure in the game, but it's incredibly hard for her to get it started. She's just too slow to catch her opponent, and make them feel pressured to shield. A competent opponent should will be able to easily avoid shielding against Peach in a situation where she'll have her strong mixups.
Yea I know I'm just playing, I am just surprised I don't see at least 2-3 consecutive FC Nairs on shield every now and then as mix up.

Peach's seem to all prefer to just go for frame traps (FC ino grab, jabs, D-smash etc) instead of back to back FC shield pressure mix ups. I guess it's because no matter if they want to start a combo or just KO the frame traps are more reliable. Frickin' D-smash....that move is it's own combo :demon:

Kataquax

Smash Cadet
can someone help me to interpret the SSBM Hitboxes (NTSC 1.0).xlsx ( http://www.mediafire.com/download/hmlse4b48i7f5r3/SSBM+Hitboxes+(NTSC+1.0).xlsx )

what confuses me is that all the values of the different angeld ftilts from samus are the same beside Dmg, FilePos and the first collom of Data but those are cryped in hexcode...

my question is how would i know which of the angles reaches the highest/furthest?
(or how do i compare the upways/sideways reach of attacks with this .xlsx?)

Sycorax

Smash Ace
can someone help me to interpret the SSBM Hitboxes (NTSC 1.0).xlsx ( http://www.mediafire.com/download/hmlse4b48i7f5r3/SSBM+Hitboxes+(NTSC+1.0).xlsx )

what confuses me is that all the values of the different angeld ftilts from samus are the same beside Dmg, FilePos and the first collom of Data but those are cryped in hexcode...

my question is how would i know which of the angles reaches the highest/furthest?
You can't really look at hitboxes in that spreadsheet. The best way is to go in to develop mode, turn on the hitboxes, and look at them that way.

You can already infer which attacks reach the farthest, however, without booting up the game. The up angled ftilt will obviously reach the highest, down angled the lowest, and un-angled the farthest forward because Samus's leg is like the radius of a circle.

Kataquax

Smash Cadet
You can't really look at hitboxes in that spreadsheet. The best way is to go in to develop mode, turn on the hitboxes, and look at them that way.

You can already infer which attacks reach the farthest, however, without booting up the game. The up angled ftilt will obviously reach the highest, down angled the lowest, and un-angled the farthest forward because Samus's leg is like the radius of a circle.
thanks for the answer

can you (or someone) tell me the meaning of the Size XPos YPos and ZPos collum of the hitboxes then

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
thanks for the answer

can you (or someone) tell me the meaning of the Size XPos YPos and ZPos collum of the hitboxes then
I believe this is the size and position of the Hit Bubbles (collision bubbles), position seems to be in relation to the bone it's attached to.

Yea just by the fact that any angle will sacrifice horizontal distance to gain some some vertical distance (given the same length) the side F-tilt is by far the farthest reaching in the left-right coordinate (X-Axis in traditional Cartesian).

Or maybe you were thinking there was more stretch on the Up and Down angled tilts? I could see that line of thought too...

One way I used to test a move's reach before I had other tools was to go on Pokemon stadium in training mode and use the ground markings around the poke ball to space the attack on a CPU in a fixed position (Then compare to others). Samus is the best for the dummy choice since she doesn't sway or move in her idle animation. I remember the first thing I discovered that surprised me was how much reach Luigi's F-tilt had, and how Link's Fsmash hit much further than Marth's Fsmash.

Last edited:

Kataquax

Smash Cadet
I believe this is the size and position of the Hit Bubbles (collision bubbles), position seems to be in relation to the bone it's attached to.
well that moves the question to "what position do the bones have at move X?"

Yea just by the fact that any angle will sacrifice horizontal distance to gain some some vertical distance (given the same length) the side F-tilt is by far the farthest reaching in the left-right coordinate (X-Axis in traditional Cartesian).

Or maybe you were thinking there was more stretch on the Up and Down angled tilts? I could see that line of thought too...

One way I used to test a move's reach before I had other tools was to go on Pokemon stadium in training mode and use the ground markings around the poke ball to space the attack on a CPU in a fixed position (Then compare to others). Samus is the best for the dummy choice since she doesn't sway or move in her idle animation. I remember the first thing I discovered that surprised me was how much reach Luigi's F-tilt had, and how Link's Fsmash hit much further than Marth's Fsmash.
in fact i am not directly interested in the different angled of the samus ftild (it was just an example)
I just wanted to compare attacks by their horizontal/vertical reach and i hoped that i could find the information somewhere

but looks like i just have to test that myself for the moves i am curios about

Sycorax

Smash Ace
I'm not sure anyone knows the answer to that besides the developers.

Whenever I want to compare ranges of moves, I just put one character on a battlefield platform, roll to the edge, drop through, then put another on and roll to the edge so they have the same X coordinate. Then I use their moves and eye-ball the range.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008

in fact i am not directly interested in the different angled of the samus ftild (it was just an example)
I just wanted to compare attacks by their horizontal/vertical reach and i hoped that i could find the information somewhere

but looks like i just have to test that myself for the moves i am curios about
You can spend a while figuring out the bones through cross refrencing, but it would be better to just look at the hitbox gifs in the thread and take scaled measurements for keyframes you choose (from start of move to farthest reaching hitbox). Or experiment and feel the spacing through experience.

Somethings that are just as important are hurtbox contortion/recoil, hitbox disjoint and move animation ambiguity.

All of the above factors are what makes a move like samus' up tilt so spammable despite being slow to start. Its a low risk high reward move in neutral, WD back up tilt is quite amazing. A lot of moves have use that transcends their data on paper.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Is there any way I can test lag differences between two monitors hooked up to one Wii?
Some may have a better answer but these days its common for cameras and even iphones/smartphones to records at 60-240 fps.

I used my camera to test controller and software level input delay.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Some may have a better answer but these days its common for cameras and even iphones/smartphones to records at 60-240 fps.

I used my camera to test controller and software level input delay.
Tried that and it seems like I'm getting about a frame of lag on my benq monitor in comparison to my CRT monitor :(. I'm guessing it's the component to HD converter but I actually don't know and am debating getting a Sewell to see

Last edited:

artifice

Smash Ace
I would be extremely content if your measuring just 1 frame of lag difference. Just comparing the display lag, the gray to gray speed on benQ's LEDs is 1/4th of a frame (4ms) compared to the CRT displaying as fast it takes the electrons to move through it (not a value worth measuring). and even if outputting a native resolution you should expect 1/2-2/3rd of a frame of input lag.

Considering the lowest lag you could detect besides "no lag" is 1 frame.... I would be more than content actually -

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
1 frame of lag is really annoying but it was definitely caused by upscaling (the converter that I had made the image 1080p rather than leaving it at 480p). Using a Sewell there is no detectable lag playing on a gaming monitor.

artifice

Smash Ace
How do you DI Peach's dair to avoid a followup? Is it down? I always get mixed answers lol
W/O looking into what the trajectory of her dair is. (so just from experiences), it seems like the dair will eventually send you back into her (up and toward peach), so even SDI up or down and or away may not be guaranteed to get you out if the hit's trajectory just send you right back in - so I'm not positive how effectively you can get out. That said, if your closer to the outside of her horizontal dair-range - SDI out. and shes more on top of you hitting with the middle/upper parts of hit box - proly SDI up, and if lower try SDI down, etc...

If its a ledge guard situation where she is dair-ing to cover the ledge - I have seen SDI toward stage and tech to avoid a followup nair - that tech might be char dependent tho not sure.

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
Who has the easiest time powershielding? Just as an example let's use Falco's lasers as the attack to be poershielded.

I was doing some testing and it seems like lanky/skinny tall characters seem to have a very easy time (Zelda, Peach, Marth, Sheik, Samus) because they have a lot of shield bubble disjoint to catch moves/projectiles as they PS.

And then there are characters like Puff, Kirby, and the SM Bros that can crouch and Powershield very easily as their body changes space very quickly.

Then is seems like Bowser, DK, Ganon, and G&W (standing) have the worst chance to Powershield anything.

Has anyone else done more in depth research on this? Or are there some interesting quirks/tips to powershielding? (I've heard running PS can work better)

Last edited:

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Who has the easiest time powershielding? Just as an example let's use Falco's lasers as the attack to be poershielded.

I was doing some testing and it seems like lanky/skinny tall characters seem to have a very easy time (Zelda, Peach, Marth, Sheik, Samus) because they have a lot of shield bubble disjoint to catch moves/projectiles as they PS.

And then there are characters like Puff, Kirby, and the SM Bros that can crouch and Powershield very easily as their body changes space very quickly.

Then is seems like Bowser, DK, Ganon, and G&W (standing) have the worst chance to Powershield anything.

Has anyone else done more in depth research on this? Or are there some interesting quirks/tips to powershielding? (I've heard running PS can work better)
For the most part, powershielding is usually a 2 frame window. For some characters and at some laser heights there is so little space between the hurtbox and the shield that the powershield is a 1 frame window. It's pretty similar for all the characters except those with small shields relative to their body size, e.g. Bowser or G&W.

Marth, Roy, and Samus have shields that are programmed wrong which causes their shields to always appear in the same place above their feet. For every other character, the shield appears surrounding their body, but for those 3, if they, for example, shield in crouch, the shield will appear way above them. This can allow them to powershield incredibly easily against attacks coming from above or projectiles that travel over their crouch height. Look at this video of Mahie doing it. Marth and Roy can also get a lot of utility from shielding out of dash.

Characters with low crouches like Sheik, G&W, Puff, Kirby, etc. don't actually gain that much from crouch into powershield. This is because their shields appear low to the ground covering their bodies and are often stretched horizontally and squished vertically to do so.

Bluuee

Smash Rookie
Hey, guys!
I'm just getting started on Melee and i'm using Dolphin to play.

My question is about the controller. I don't have a GameCube controller, so what's the best solution? I have a PS4 controller and i could play using it, but it doesn't seem to be quite perfect...
What's is the best way to configure a different controller? What kind of controller do most of you guys uses?
Just for information, i'm not from USA and a GameCube controller is pretty expensive...

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Hey, guys!
I'm just getting started on Melee and i'm using Dolphin to play.

My question is about the controller. I don't have a GameCube controller, so what's the best solution? I have a PS4 controller and i could play using it, but it doesn't seem to be quite perfect...
What's is the best way to configure a different controller? What kind of controller do most of you guys uses?
Just for information, i'm not from USA and a GameCube controller is pretty expensive...
I've never really used anything but a GC controller and liked it. I've used a keyboard and that's probably the worst one, I've used a 360 controller and that's OK but not great (since the C-Stick is as big as the control stick and the button placement isn't the same), and I've never used a Playstation controller for Melee but I'd assume the 360 would be better because the stick placement is the same. Also, GC controllers aren't region-locked, so if controllers were significantly cheaper over here you could just import one (unfortunately, I think they're about the same price).

Top Bottom