• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Critique Topic

NekoTony

Tips are allowed
NNID
Cheesezwheel
3DS FC
5430-1364-8542
Idk if u guys consider photo editing as a type of 'art" but i made this signature for the forums and opinions will be nice

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
Idk if u guys consider photo editing as a type of 'art" but i made this signature for the forums and opinions will be nice

It looks really cool dood! My one issue is that Samus' hair looks a little funky, but that's to be expected from this technique. Is it a technique? I don't really know, I suck at graphic design / art lol.

NekoTony

Tips are allowed
NNID
Cheesezwheel
3DS FC
5430-1364-8542
It looks really cool dood! My one issue is that Samus' hair looks a little funky, but that's to be expected from this technique. Is it a technique? I don't really know, I suck at graphic design / art lol.
What do you mean by funky?

Last edited:

BrickBot

Smash Cadet
From a disatance, yeah it does. It you look closely you can see the hair above tree..
Not to be rude, but how closely do you expect people to look at your signature? Because other people may get the same impression i got. If I may be so bold, can i suggest that you use a different image other than battlefield? Perhaps FD. After all, The stage is bigger and would allow people to see the image of ZSS more clearly.
Just a suggestion.

NekoTony

Tips are allowed
NNID
Cheesezwheel
3DS FC
5430-1364-8542
Not to be rude, but how closely do you expect people to look at your signature? Because other people may get the same impression i got. If I may be so bold, can i suggest that you use a different image other than battlefield? Perhaps FD. After all, The stage is bigger and would allow people to see the image of ZSS more clearly.
Just a suggestion.
Not really. I used battlefield cuz its my fav stage.

Thanos6

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thanos6
This is an homage to all the many and wonderful stages of the Super Smash Bros. series, along with a nod to that first great Nintendo crossover, Captain N: The Game Master.

The order the stages were laid out in was decided by a random number generator. Starting at the top, and going from left to right, we have:

First row: 75m (Brawl), Port Town Aero Dive (Brawl), Saffron City (64), Suzaku Castle (Wii U), Bridge Of Eldin (Brawl), Pokémon Stadium 2 (Brawl), Magicant (3DS), The Great Cave Offensive (Wii U), 3D Land (3DS), Kongo Jungle (Melee), Super Mario Maker (Wii U), Delfino Plaza (Brawl), Garden Of Hope (Wii U).
Second row: Kalos Pokémon League (Wii U), Dream Land (64), Fountain Of Dreams (Melee), Halberd (Brawl), Lylat Cruise (Brawl), Norfair (Brawl), Wuhu Island (Wii U), Town And City (Wii U), Yoshi's Island (64), Smashville (Brawl), Tortimer Island (3DS), Flat Zone X (Wii U), Jungle Japes (Melee).
Third row: Rainbow Road (3DS), Skyworld (Brawl), Spirit Train (3DS), Unova Pokémon League (3DS), Green Greens (Melee), Final Destination (Melee), Princess Peach's Castle (Melee), Paper Mario (3DS), Peach's Castle (64), Umbra Clock Tower (Wii U), Pokémon Stadium (Melee), Frigate Orpheon (Melee), Hyrule Castle (Melee).
Fourth row: Gerudo Valley (3DS), Hanenbow (Brawl), Balloon Fight (3DS), Temple (Melee), Golden Plains (3DS), Mario Circuit (Brawl), Skyloft (Wii U), Arena Ferox (3DS), Find Mii (3DS), Subcon - Mushroom Kingdom II (Melee), Sector Z (64), Rainbow Cruise (Melee), Venom (Melee).
Fifth row: Mute City (Melee), Mario Galaxy (Wii U), Mario Circuit (Wii U), Summit (Brawl), Brinstar Depths (Melee), Rumble Falls (Brawl), Gaur Plain (Wii U), Windy Hill Zone (Wii U), Poké Floats (Melee), Living Room (3DS), Coliseum (Wii U), Icicle Mountain (Melee).
Sixth row: Pyrosphere (Wii U), Mushroom Kingdom U (Wii U), Shadow Moses Island (Brawl), Congo Jungle (64), Pilotwings (Wii U), Wrecking Crew (Wii U), PictoChat (Brawl), Tomodachi Life (3DS), Yoshi's Island (Brawl), Big Battlefield (Wii U), Spear Pillar (Brawl), Dream Land (3DS), New Pork City (Brawl).
Seventh row: Flat Zone (Melee), Brinstar (Melee), Castle Siege (Brawl), Big Blue (Melee), Midgar (Wii U), Flat Zone 2 (Brawl), Jungle Hijinxs (Wii U), Woolly World (Wii U), Pac-Land (Wii U), Mushroom Kingdom (Melee), Miiverse (Wii U), Mute City (3DS), Gamer (Wii U).
Eighth row: PictoChat 2 (3DS), Planet Zebes (64), Pac-Maze (3DS), Palutena's Temple (Wii U), Yoshi's Island (Melee), Wii Fit Studio (Wii U), Great Bay (Melee), Orbital Gate Assault (Wii U), WarioWare, Inc. (Brawl), Yoshi's Story (Melee), Prism Tower (3DS), Pirate Ship (Brawl), Duck Hunt (Wii U).
Ninth row: Mushroomy Kingdom (Brawl), Boxing Ring (Wii U), Fourside (Melee), Dr. Wily's Skull Castle (Wii U), Green Hill Zone (Brawl), Mushroom Kingdom (64), Reset Bomb Forest (3DS), Corneria (Melee), Onett (Melee), Luigi's Mansion (Brawl), Distant Planet (Brawl), Mario Bros. (Brawl), and Battlefield (Melee).

Credit for ripping the stage icons from the original games goes to supersmashball (64), Colton (Melee), Gary Kertopermono (Brawl), Ploaj and SciresM (3DS), and Random Talking Bush (Wii U).

Would love to hear your thoughts and feedback!

Ax^2

SANIC SPED
NNID
BlueBlur97

I did a random doodle. I like drawing in manga style, and a lot of people tell me that my art resembles the dbz style and im trying to make something that looks a little different from that. Crit would be nice.

_gold_

Smash Master
Here's a poem I wrote a few months back
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

LeifEriksson

Smash Journeyman
Ah ok, cool.

I'm currently trying to make a render of Dark Matter from the Kirby series in Blender, so I would appreciate it if my work in progress render would be critiqued. I would also love some tips on making renders, if possible.

I would make the hair be a bit sharper, it kinda looks funny. I don't know a lot about 3d renders, but that looks pretty good so far.

GonzaGears

HEMA Noob
NNID
ebr1198
I would make the hair be a bit sharper, it kinda looks funny. I don't know a lot about 3d renders, but that looks pretty good so far.
Hmm, some of my friends found it too sharp before, so I guess I have to find an in-between. Thank you.

It's a shame this thread isn't more lively, I would love to be a part of it.

D

Deleted member

I decided to do a Tetris picture to practice doing perspective and shading. Feel free to give thoughts on it if anyone still looks at this thread. It's in spoiler because the image is massive and I used Adobe Photoshop 2015.5 for this.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
I decided to do a Tetris picture to practice doing perspective and shading. Feel free to give thoughts on it if anyone still looks at this thread. It's in spoiler because the image is massive and I used Adobe Photoshop 2015.5 for this.
Unfortunately, the blocks themselves don't appear to line up very well, the blue and pink ones in particular. I suggest doing more rough sketches to get a better sense of how things look, if you didn't already. I'd recommend looking into some tutorial videos, I remember Mark Crilly on youtube has several videos about perspective and line of sight type things.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBiW8y5LSHK425SYwHDIcLhXux8PfSzkw

I'm useless at perspective stuff, I just go by instinct lol.

This is a thing I made last month, initially, it was completely different, was going to be a thumbnail for a youtube video, just two shades of blue with an image on it. Eventually I just started painting random things out of boredom because I couldn't decide what I wanted for video thumbnail.

EDIT: If someone could critique, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Made this in ZBrush. I'm mostly going to use it as a wing reference so its not very detailed.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Very cool wings.

I like how you included the thumbs.

The legs are pressed up against the body, yes?
Thank you! No legs on this one. I mainly did it as a wing study. I actually forgot I even made this lol.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Thank you! No legs on this one. I mainly did it as a wing study. I actually forgot I even made this lol.
Well its good.

Since your here an know about Z brush let me lay this on you, I've showed this around but yeah,

Oh about the girl up top she's Kalypso I'm using her for my new work portfolio to broaden my horizons. The idea is to do her up like :ultkrool:'s model but with a different outfit. She's only whew like 6% done at this point but I wanted to show off what I had.
Alright, gang made some progress.

If you want some lore on some of the choices I'll spill them freely.

What would you think a Tiny kong or Chunky redesign would look like?

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Well its good.

Since your here an know about Z brush let me lay this on you, I've showed this around but yeah,

Alright, gang made some progress.

If you want some lore on some of the choices I'll spill them freely.

What would you think a Tiny kong or Chunky redesign would look like?
Oh goodness! That looks really, really good so far. I don’t have much experience with doing full body meshes which is why I’ve been doing studies and stuff for practice.

I plan to do a 3D reference for a character I’ve had in my head for a while now but that’ll been when I feel more confident about doing it. Keep up the good work on your Kalypso model!

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Oh goodness! That looks really, really good so far. I don’t have much experience with doing full body meshes which is why I’ve been doing studies and stuff for practice.

I plan to do a 3D reference for a character I’ve had in my head for a while now but that’ll been when I feel more confident about doing it. Keep up the good work on your Kalypso model!
Thanks, and keep moving forward with 3D you've got a good handle on things. What you put in will come back ten-fold :)

Top Bottom