• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Critique Topic

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
So I haven't drawn in about 10 years... First time using a tablet for art. Was using an android tablet with a mediocre stylus, but would definitely like some critique. c:

linework

sketch

I can already eyeball a few things I would have done differently, but I'm satisfied with what I've gotten.

Madbro

Smash Rookie
My Forum signature and avatar.
please let me know what I should do to better my artwork.
thanks, MadBro.

P.S.. UPist?

UpperKace

Smash Rookie
made a smash bros. glitch art video. let me know what you think

(youtube) /watch?v=uXuTUsF36yE

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Um, i'm a novice artist, but lately I've been in a Starfox mood (due to my inner furryness xD), and decided to draw this... Critiques please?
(Took with and without a flash.)

Without flash: http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/...6-378F-4032-BCBA-9A14CF6DA7DE_zpsut5v4e3h.jpg

With flash: http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/...0-C27D-4139-9C46-47DEFB95CDEE_zpsgfi866e9.jpg

And this is the guide I followed lol http://th09.deviantart.net/fs51/PRE/i/2009/340/1/c/This_is_how_I_draw_Wolf_by_BlackWingedHeart87.png

Some notes:
- The left seems a bit off in a way.
- On the right, I screwed up the shape of the thing that's above Wolf's electronic eyepiece (next to his tuft, the thing split into 6 rectangles)
- I know I don't have the nicest writing >__>
- Accidentally separated his 3 furs at the bottom while outlining.
- I wasn't exactly sure how to shade this, and I apparently suck at drawing/shading lightly. :p

GameStation aka C4?!

Smash Journeyman
Had to draw an exotic fruit and make a poster out of it. We had many sketches and such. Please let me know what you think :)

The illustrations are good, I like the placement of the heading but the body copy is way to small and not contrasting enough for me to want to even look at. What type of class is this for? Is it a design course, or a graphic art course? Because the main problem, again, if you are in advertising, you want people to be able to read the body copy so that they will know what the call to action is. I don't think I've ever had a Grandilla, would like to know more information about it, but my eye is easily exhausted
because the color of the design is over powering the text. Thats my only criticism (so far).

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
Nice seeing all of this creative stuff.

@ Madbro Madbro I like the simplicity of it, can't really say what more to add.

Question for anyone ~ Has the sig critique thread been cut off? I remember there was a separate thread for only sigs, I haven't been here in the longest and made a new account but everything's different o_O

Treehugger

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3883-6020-2201
Great thread! I've enjoyed a lot of these postings so far.

Last edited:

Tariq Elagamy

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
So I haven't drawn in about 10 years... First time using a tablet for art. Was using an android tablet with a mediocre stylus, but would definitely like some critique. c:

linework

sketch

I can already eyeball a few things I would have done differently, but I'm satisfied with what I've gotten.
This is a good start! I know how hard it can be to get back into the swing of things, especially drawing, when you haven't done so in a really long time, but this is a great start. One of the ways I was able to draw better was looking at how things were shaped and moved in real life and applying it to my drawings, so I would suggest looking at some foxes (unless you have a nice fox family in your background, you should use ze internet!) and see how their tails look naturally. Other than that, just keep practicing and you'll be more and more impressed with the results you get :)

Um, i'm a novice artist, but lately I've been in a Starfox mood (due to my inner furryness xD), and decided to draw this... Critiques please?
(Took with and without a flash.)

Some notes:
- The left seems a bit off in a way.
- On the right, I screwed up the shape of the thing that's above Wolf's electronic eyepiece (next to his tuft, the thing split into 6 rectangles)
- I know I don't have the nicest writing >__>
- Accidentally separated his 3 furs at the bottom while outlining.
- I wasn't exactly sure how to shade this, and I apparently suck at drawing/shading lightly. :p
Haha, loved your post. The picture's look good! I might be able to help out with the shading. In one of my early pictures I posted online someone told me that the lighting and shading was all wrong, and when I asked him why, he said that I had light coming from every direction and shade coming from every direction as well. What he told me to do was imagine a make-believe lamp at the corner of the page, and picture where the beam of light from that lamp would hit the object you are drawing. I took this to heart and tried to apply it to my artwork, I also took pictures of myself next to lights at various angles to see how light fell. All in all, this really helped me get shading down right, I hope it helps a little bit!

Nice seeing all of this creative stuff.

@ Madbro Madbro I like the simplicity of it, can't really say what more to add.

Question for anyone ~ Has the sig critique thread been cut off? I remember there was a separate thread for only sigs, I haven't been here in the longest and made a new account but everything's different o_O
I'm not sure about the sig critique thread but your sig is quite awesome, I must say :D

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 278362

[message removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
I made a thing! Mega lucario's head. The picture is blurry because I don't have a scanner. So I do know that sadly.

Considering I'm a new artist I felt particularly proud of this. I know there's gotta be more off about it then I can see.. Like the eye. But I hope you all like it.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
I wanna make some silly smash related comics and I'm trying to make them as basic looking as possible(To save time for more important things). An idea of what I have in mind are in these two pictures... also thinking shaded but only with black and white could be nice.

Here's a sketch in case you are curious on how something even more bare looks lol.

Last edited:

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
That's super cute stuff for sure. I think if you're going with a simplistic design it's best to color it. Otherwise it might be difficult to tell a few things. There's nothing wrong with flat colors though.

NessFangirl

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to learn how to draw Lucas and Ness. Their hair is a nightmare >o<

WrappedInBlack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PyroJayBlack
3DS FC
1736-3220-0909

it's not smash related but... yeah just completed this today... redesigned my main OCs... uh... personally I think the new icons for them look better than the old ones... uh lemmie post the old ones too I guess... since what I was going to ask is "Have I gotten better or worse at these things?" and "Are their new looks better or worse than the old ones?" or something Like that... I suck with words... sorry. Also... sorry... idk how to disable signature... it's a small logo in my sig... I hope that doesn't cause to much problems. Oh and @ NessFangirl NessFangirl .. really like that pic. Love the colors and overall style. Nice Work!

anyway these are their old designs...

UPDATE 4-19-2015: since I'm still the last post of the thread...

Last edited:

Bombchu Link

Banned via Administration
NNID
Arwing-Y
That's a great looking smash ball.

I've been arting for just over two years now. if someone could give me an idea of how good I am, I would be appreciative.

LightKaizo

Smash Rookie
This is my drawing of my main character (Light) and Purple Ganondorf c: any critique would help me out a bunch.

Last edited:

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
This is my drawing of my main character (Light) and Purple Ganondorf c: any critique would help me out a bunch.
One of two directions you can continue moving towards:

1) Develop some style with variance of line weights.

2) Develop some level of form with the use of values.

GBomber465

Smash Rookie
I'm currently working on a Pokkén fan art. What do you think?

Last edited:

Zelbur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zelbur
I made the animation in my signature. I took the crit animation from Joshua in FE: Sacred Stones, and added a sandbag to make it smash themed. What do you guys think?
(Btw this is my first animation like this, it was a lot of fun)
Link: http://i.giphy.com/3oEdvaaHZfcwBiINpe.gif
Alternatively you could just look below ;)

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
I have literally not made a signature since the first year Brawl came out. I just finished rewatching Fate/Zero and I felt inspired to work again. So I made this Saber sig and avi. Any advice? Suggestions? I always hate my work so criticism is welcome. It's been a while.

_Sylvan_

Smash Rookie
NNID
squishyguy29
3DS FC
1478-4674-4442
So I'm very new to Smashboards, and especially forums, but this is my first forum post so I hope I'm doing it right XD

So I like to create fan art of some of my favorite smashers in my free time, but because I am not talented with a pen or paintbrush, I use Legos. I have created only a few so far, but I will try to make more soon, and would even be happy to take requests, if it is within my ability.

ESAM one is my favorite so far, I'm a huge fan of PandaGlobal's smash team so far lol.

Zelbur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zelbur
So I'm very new to Smashboards, and especially forums, but this is my first forum post so I hope I'm doing it right XD

So I like to create fan art of some of my favorite smashers in my free time, but because I am not talented with a pen or paintbrush, I use Legos. I have created only a few so far, but I will try to make more soon, and would even be happy to take requests, if it is within my ability.

ESAM one is my favorite so far, I'm a huge fan of PandaGlobal's smash team so far lol.
Wow, that's really good, you should M2K or ZeRo.

Last edited:

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
A week ago I decided to draw all of my Smash Bros 4 mains. I drew them in pencil, then inked the pencil lines with pen, then I scanned it onto my computer. That’s when I decided I wanted to go all out with this. I decided to color the picture in Photoshop. But the thing is…I’m very inexperienced with Photoshop. As in, I took a one semester class about it but never actually used it for artistic purposes. But I did my best and this is the result. It’s just that, I’m sure with many artists, I’m never quite satisfied with my work. I see other artist’s work and think “Man, that looks so professional! How do they get the lines to look so smooth? The colors are perfectly in place! The shading is so good too!” I then look at my work and I feel it’s sloppy in comparison. To be fair, I’m sure really good artists have some kind of expensive tablet or other tools to help them out. All I’ve got is a mouse, that’s what I used for the whole digital coloring process. But still, I feel like I could’ve made it look even better if I just had better knowledge on shading and how Photoshop works. I dunno, what do you guys think? How does it look?
http://kirbyphelpspk.deviantart.com/art/My-Smash-Bros-4-Mains-556765205

Down Bound

Smash Rookie
I know the strings (if you can even call them strings of attacks) are mediocre, amateur at best, but what do you think of the editing style for smash?
I've only been playing melee for a few months now and those clips were from a couple months ago. I can tripleshine with falco now :) I love this community, otherwise I wouldn't try something like this. I trust you guys <3

Edit Reason: Johning about being bad, subscribe for more yons

Last edited:

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
My Forum signature and avatar.
please let me know what I should do to better my artwork.
thanks, MadBro.

P.S.. UPist?
not bad, it's really clean and all. (though there is some weird pixel...shenanigans going on on some of the edges of your red lines... but other than that it definitely looks rather crisp overall. One complaint that I have is that it kinda needs something on the leftmost side to balance it out.

I know the strings (if you can even call them strings of attacks) are mediocre, amateur at best, but what do you think of the editing style for smash?
I've only been playing melee for a few months now and those clips were from a couple months ago. I can tripleshine with falco now :) I love this community, otherwise I wouldn't try something like this. I trust you guys <3

Edit Reason: Johning about being bad, subscribe for more yons
really cool, reminds of the classic TF2/counter-strike frag video days. Dang those were the days... But actually, shouldn't this be in the media section of the arts & entertainment area? Or perhaps I'm mistaken. Anyways, yeah loving the crisp timing and fps/blurring. But I think for a game like smash it's always nice to have a sense of the game's ACTUAL timing because really that can make the difference between two noobs playing each other, or two pros going at it and using intense mind-games and whatnot. Really smooth edits, though. Idk, I like the slo-mo... at TIMES. Like, when it's certain that a hit is going to happen. But for tech-chases? Idk, I love it when tech-chases are really CHASES and fast-paced and seem incredibly precise to pull-off.

A week ago I decided to draw all of my Smash Bros 4 mains. I drew them in pencil, then inked the pencil lines with pen, then I scanned it onto my computer. That’s when I decided I wanted to go all out with this. I decided to color the picture in Photoshop. But the thing is…I’m very inexperienced with Photoshop. As in, I took a one semester class about it but never actually used it for artistic purposes. But I did my best and this is the result. It’s just that, I’m sure with many artists, I’m never quite satisfied with my work. I see other artist’s work and think “Man, that looks so professional! How do they get the lines to look so smooth? The colors are perfectly in place! The shading is so good too!” I then look at my work and I feel it’s sloppy in comparison. To be fair, I’m sure really good artists have some kind of expensive tablet or other tools to help them out. All I’ve got is a mouse, that’s what I used for the whole digital coloring process. But still, I feel like I could’ve made it look even better if I just had better knowledge on shading and how Photoshop works. I dunno, what do you guys think? How does it look?
http://kirbyphelpspk.deviantart.com/art/My-Smash-Bros-4-Mains-556765205
I left you a comment on your dA! :) Nice work, like I said, I love the poses and I can tell that you really like and care for these characters.

I actually did a similar thing, funny enough! Here are my mains in this new artwork:

BrickBot

Smash Cadet
I want this to be the next WeeGee meme. His name is Focks McClood of the Ster Focks series.

Top Bottom