• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Actually Sonic is adept at punishing lag through even further distances than MK. The homing attack, dash and grab, and dashing fair are just a few ways Sonic can capitalize on other people's mistakes. Metaknight can punish lag, but not as nearly as far away from attacks as Sonic can. Metaknight does have better priority than Sonic does. I see Sonic's poor priority a bigger problem than his lack of KO moves. As a matter of fact I don't see lack of KO moves a problem for Sonic OR Metaknight because of, wait for it...

lrn2chase

It WOULD be a problem if neither had the capabilities of doing it (like most heavyweights).

mangodurban

Smash Journeyman
game and watch is high possibly top teir, dont believe me- send me a pm with your friend code and ill show you all his possibilities.

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
Uhh, I can expect the three Star animals to be top tier again, but in this order:

Wolf
Falco
Fox

because of Wolf's insane recovery, good priority and blaster power; Falco for his chaingrab and the Laser Lock, and Fox last because he can't really Shine as well as last game (unless you can get a footstoll jump off and do a footstollShine).

Also, Snake is pretty **** awesome. Just throwing that out there.

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
game and watch is high possibly top teir, dont believe me- send me a pm with your friend code and ill show you all his possibilities.
Being a GaW player myself. I understand where you come from, but he is NOT Top tier material, He may be high tier material, but not Top. Trust me. His recovery, while less predictible, can still be somewhat seen coming, and his roll is still just too obvious...and a lot of his moves can be easily shieldgrabbed.

The main reason why he's not discussed is because people just don't play him, they think he's not 'cool'/just sucks/hate him. But that's good, I'd rather he go less played.

swim2007

Smash Apprentice
sonic is not worthy of high or top tier. A lot of his attacks leave him vulnerable and it is very easy to hit him with small attacks that raise his damage pretty quickly. The hardest part against him is finishing him off with a solid smash move because of his speed, but since his attacks are rather weak eventually he ends up getting hit while he moves close for a smash of his own

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Actually Sonic is adept at punishing lag through even further distances than MK. The homing attack, dash and grab, and dashing fair are just a few ways Sonic can capitalize on other people's mistakes. Metaknight can punish lag, but not as nearly as far away from attacks as Sonic can. Metaknight does have better priority than Sonic does. I see Sonic's poor priority a bigger problem than his lack of KO moves. As a matter of fact I don't see lack of KO moves a problem for Sonic OR Metaknight because of, wait for it...

lrn2chase

It WOULD be a problem if neither had the capabilities of doing it (like most heavyweights).
Hmm ok I can understand that he's very good at punishing... but how much damage can he score after finding an opening? When Sonic chases an opponent, is it guaranteed damage or the game simply goes into an offense vs defense mixup situation (which looks much more common in Brawl)?

MK doesn't score that much, but he can constantly create openings offensively... how well Sonic will fare against a characters with very safe patterns that are hard to take advantage of?

EDIT: I'm not trying to judge Sonic here, I cannot judge characters since I do not have the game at home... but I hope at least that these questions will help ppl make a better judgment.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
I think people are misunderstanding here. Sonic Isn't young link. He DOES damage. He's not weak when it comes to percentage racking like a lot of stock characters are in most fighting games. It's obvious they tried to differentiate him a bit, and he does a pretty good amount.

3 kill moves is fine. Most Sonic players are past that. The only thing holding us at this point is priority. Range we can make up for with speed, kill moves we can use selectively, and the control we can get used to. But priority is the thing we're worried about.

I've seen Sonic's take down Marth and Ike-- who have excellent priority... but in regards to Metaknight-- I know it's possible... it's just hard to do. It was said a while ago that Sonic was a character that would take some time to master, and we're starting to get the hang of him and his combo potential-- now we have to try and work his approach at points.

But in regards to everything else, I do have to say that I'm very pleased with the balance of this game. It really doesn't seem too one sided in terms of the roster. The characters all seem to have a few positive characteristics that give them some viability for the scene.

mattdude

Smash Rookie
i always understood tiers to be a representation of which character has the most potential. in melee, fox is ridiculously hard to achieve his full potential, but at that full potential, it is clear to see why he is top. marth is clear to see why he's up there. he's stupid fast, huge range, great priority, a combo king... all these things are not about individual matchups at any skill level, but rather the potential for success that each character possesses. as i understand it, tier lists are developed by taking the statistics of many many tournament matches. i would also have to assume there might be some judgment call tweaks to the list. that being said, i would say it's extremely difficult to make up a tier list based on the short amount of time we've had the game. i'm sure everyone is aware of this to some extent, but it's still an important point to note. i think the best thing we can do is discuss the pros and cons of each character, also discuss any counter characters, discuss any potential marth killers, etc., any super armor frames like ike's b, etc., and also we might even want to consider and discuss the difficulty of achieving a certain character's full potential. without discussing all of these points, it is fruitless to make everybody's tier list and bicker about why rob should be higher or why zss should be lower or why ike's strength outweighs his speed, or doesn't. the only thing this will create is tension and argument on the forums and that is something i personally don't want to read. i don't know about anybody else here, but...

the point is, we need to take a step back, and really look at the whole picture of every aspect of a character before we can truely assess his or her potential. i highly advise, nay, implore you to refrain from commenting on any characters you have not had a considerable amount of time playing. also, refrain from commenting on any matchups between individual characters that you have not had a considerable amount of time playing from both sides. a considerable amount of time playing also means playing people of varying skill-level.

alright, that being said i feel the two characters i have any right discussing are marth and ike.

ike is obviously considerably slower than most characters. he is also, obviously, considerably stronger than most characters. an extremely excellent fast approach is the reverse aerial rush. his back air has almost no startup frames, is very powerful with great knock-back but doesn't have the best comboing ability, ironically, because of the large knockback. obviously, his tripple-tap A is a great move that can much more easily set up for combos than the RAR. the forward B is another reasonably quick move with not... a phenomenal amount of ending lag. it also is a reasonably good combo starter. but of course, we can't forget his dash attack. this is an excellent combo starter, imo his best. it deals a reasonable amount of damage, has great range, knocks them up, but not too far--especially at low percentages, and doesn't have too much ending lag which allows for him to serve his opponent up straight into a nice fair. now, that's honestly about it that i have found for his combo starting. his Fair isn't bad, but again, a little slow--and seems more like a combo continuer, than a starter. on the subject of combo continuers, what does ike have? well, for one, his Fair. his great range of all attacks and varying strength over the length of his sword lends him nicely to spacing which does obviously complicate and extend the possibilities with each attack. as i've already said, dash attack to fair is a great short combo, but if the fair is hit with the weaker tip of the sword, and hence less knock back, a land to an aerial rush might be a nice little continuer. at most percentages, that will have them off the stage. at this point, we can consider what ike's edge guarding abilities are.

his charge B is obviously excellent. it has an incredible range above, below, and all around him. also, with the advantage of super armor, this move is ideal for edge guarding. also, the huge amount of chargeup time (what is the total time, like 15-20 seconds?) it allows for very little delaying that the opponent can do to avoid the attack until it's done. so obviously the success of the charged b, if well timed, is huge. it also lends well to grabbing smash balls (i've grabbed a ball with little charge on the first hit), which is obviously useless for most tournaments, but i feel it's good to note. besides his B, an edge-hopped bair is definitely a good alternative. also, depending on how predictable and vulnerable the opponent is, just a simple spike is a worth while possibility.

ike is quite heavy, so he stays alive pretty well, but his recovery isn't the greatest. it's not too bad, but there's certainly better. the up B is reasonably difficult to stop, but has a fair amount of lag if he misses the edge and lands on the stage. also, his side-b is extraordinarily predictable, and even stopable if the opponent has confidently low percentages, he can jump off and into the way of ike's over B which will stop him dead and he'll fall.

i see ike as an excellent 2v2 supporter. if the team works well together, one player could potentially setup for combos and ike can powerhouse him while he's stunned,which will allow for him to be useful regardless of his speed.

marth is obviously extremely good. he's faster than he was in melee, his tippers are actually as far as i can tell more powerful. he's floatier, which makes his short hop double fair even easier to pull off, but also potentially makes him a little easier to combo depending on the opponent. his juggling skills are top notch. his aerials allow for such ease to toss your opponent about. however, his sword is definitely shorter, his non tippers are less powerful than they were in melee, and his recovery is not quite as good.

his grabbing isn't as good in this game. he can't chain grab, as far as i know anybody, and the grabs he does have don't set up as well for combos. granted, people can still be combo'd with marth, just not as easily. he's pretty much the same character. the ken combo can be DIed away from easier if i remember correctly, but is still a usable combo.

any critique on my points is more than welcome

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
sonic is not worthy of high or top tier. A lot of his attacks leave him vulnerable and it is very easy to hit him with small attacks that raise his damage pretty quickly. The hardest part against him is finishing him off with a solid smash move because of his speed, but since his attacks are rather weak eventually he ends up getting hit while he moves close for a smash of his own
??
What attacks leave him vulnerable, kindly explicate please.
It isn't easy to hit him with small attacks at all.
Characters liek bowser, DK, and DDD have a very hard time hittimg him because of his speed as well as the fact tha he can move so unpredictably.
Marth can't use his range to his advantage since its been lessened, and because sonic has invincibility frames during the first part of his hop in his >b. He can easily gimp Marth's recovery and kill him nearly every time.

Sonic isn't meant to smash his opponents out. he is meant to chase his opponent off stage. Knocking them off with a Nair then following up with a Bair or spring is what he is meant to do, with the occasional smash every now and then which is much faster than Snake's or Ike's So kind;ly explain as to how he would get hit moving in for a smash unless his opponent was already in the middle of one to begin with.
It isn't that Sonic can't kill, I can get past that and range is no issue at all due to the high speed. it is priority, I can't really attack someone at the same time they attack me.

There really hasn't been any way to get past the priority issue.

bruiser

Smash Rookie
Speed will eventually be harnessed, and those with mobility will eventually shape up to be almost universally better characters. Barring other bonuses (IE chain throwing ability or insanely early kill rates) there is no better attribute for a fighter to possess than speed. It gives you board control, allows you to be on the offensive a great percentage of the time, and improves your ability to chase. Sonic's speed will be harnessed eventually (just like Magneto was in MVC2) and when it is, watch out.

When brawl has had time to develop there is a very high chance that Sonic will be a better character and far more difficult to play against than Ike. Pressure breaks pipes, but pressure also forces mistakes that will hurt far more as the combo engine is exploited. In a 1v1 environment it is quite probable that Sonic's speed alone will push him way up the charts. This is unless the priority is really crap, however a play style based on spamming your good moves regardless of degradation and then actively chasing for low percentile KO's is probably the best way to play the blue guy.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
Omg. You guys can go choose characters just because some people say that they're good. I can still choose the ones I like and still PWN all of you.

Marth, Ness, Lucas, Lucario, Metaknight, Ike and Luigi are mine. Put them in bottom tier becuse I says so and put Ice Climbers on top.

tiers r4 queers.

at least thats what smash kingdom melee taught me.
THANK YOU!!!! Keep believing that or I WILL kill you.

Speed will eventually be harnessed, and those with mobility will eventually shape up to be almost universally better characters. Barring other bonuses (IE chain throwing ability or insanely early kill rates) there is no better attribute for a fighter to possess than speed. It gives you board control, allows you to be on the offensive a great percentage of the time, and improves your ability to chase. Sonic's speed will be harnessed eventually (just like Magneto was in MVC2) and when it is, watch out.

When brawl has had time to develop there is a very high chance that Sonic will be a better character and far more difficult to play against than Ike. Pressure breaks pipes, but pressure also forces mistakes that will hurt far more as the combo engine is exploited. In a 1v1 environment it is quite probable that Sonic's speed alone will push him way up the charts. This is unless the priority is really crap, however a play style based on spamming your good moves regardless of degradation and then actively chasing for low percentile KO's is probably the best way to play the blue guy.
QFT. Enough of this stupid discussion on tiers. TIERS ARE FOR QUEERS. ENOUGH. STOP. KAPUT. ICE CLIMBERS FOR TOP TIER FTW. MARTH FOR BOTTOM TIER FTW.

Besides, tiers also just show how many people like ONE character.

Gary

Smash Apprentice
I think Zema needs to take a chill pill...

Tiers are there just for information. You don't have to look at it if you don't want to, you don't have to care about it, but you also don't have to flame it. Let people who want tier lists to have them and ignore it if you wish. If everyone just followed THAT, there'd be a whole lot fewer pointless threads and flame wars.

Krain0971

Smash Rookie
G&W I say is top tier material. Just to throw it in At about 65% he can kill you with his Down A.

D

Deleted member

Who exactly makes the tier lists? I know the immediate answer would be "The Smash community gradually develops a tier list over a long period of time". But who exactly is the Smash Community. Who has the final hammer on the tier list?

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
Does anyone else find this thread kinda stupid?
I mean, if tiers are truly only about tournament results...then shouldn't you guys be talking about that instead of "I think ___should be top tier because obviously he has potential"
Wow, they all have potential.
I haven't checked out any tournament results, so there's no way I can make any statement at the moment.

Neoteric

Smash Cadet
Who exactly makes the tier lists? I know the immediate answer would be "The Smash community gradually develops a tier list over a long period of time". But who exactly is the Smash Community. Who has the final hammer on the tier list?
it is decided upon by members with access to the smash back room, who are respected members of the smash community

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Pythag, clearly you thought about what you were going to say before you said it, and I applaud you.

....but stfu ;)

People are going to make arguments about the tier list, and although said arguments don't really matter.....arguing is fun :) and it'll lead to some theory and thoughts about characters. I mean, it's no secret that Ike needs to get faster, and that Sonic needs to get less predictable, but talking it out and putting the talk into practice can lead to a lot of character development.

In theory, anyway. Some people learn from talking, some learn only from actually playing. One thing is for sure, arguing out a tier list isn't really gonna make a tier list ;)

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
I agree. This is a useful thread.

Anyway back on topic. At first, I was playing Olimar with my friends. His awkwardness and terrible recovery made me think he was low tier. But now that I realize it, his range, great pressure game and the fact that everything is a disjointed hitbox (not to mention replenishable) makes me see that he's actually an excellent character. I think he's just the way Falco is in Melee; excellent on the ground but easily, very, painfully easily gimpable. It seems to be his only huge weakness, aside from the fact that when you die you have to spend your precious seconds of invincibility pulling out more pikminions. But yeah, he's really, really good. Thoughts?

K20AFoozbal

Smash Apprentice
Melee tiers were based off of how high a character places in tournies.

yea... so i guess we'll wait til tourney members get this all sorted out...

characters i feel strongly about are as follows (and i'll give reasons OMG SERIOUSLY!)

Ike -- Powerhouse. Quick jabs combined with foxtrotting can lead to some devastating kills.

Pikachu -- the electric attacks quickly stack up damage, his Nair is rather powerful, the Bsmash sucks people in from ridiculous ranges, DownB can sky KO ppl... fast, agile + projectiles

DeDeDe -- minions, grab range, Bair, ridiculous recovery, strong attacks. quick attacks... this guy's just really good.

Lucas -- lol do i really need to say why here?

Tlink -- so many projectiles... with the addition of the quickdraw this makes his range game incredible. Not to mention he hits harder than big link...

Meta Knight -- one time i didnt hit the ground for straight 30 seconds...

Pit -- OP arrows, shield, SideB and his amazing recovery make him a nasty opponent...

Wolf -- awesome blaster, every smash attack is pure ownage, nice shine. Bair and Nair are pretty sex.

uhhh...

Marth, Shiek, peach... fox and falco are still there i suppose...

samus didnt scale very well.... and C.Falcon got hit really hard with the nerf bat lol... sucks...

havent really played with many others lol.

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
People keep bashing bowser...alot....

One thing people forget is Bowsers shield fortress. Yes it has been nerfed and is not AS strong but its still easy damage. This move still beats out everything. Dash attack? shield fortress, JCusmash? Shield fortress, jab combo? shield fortress.

F-tilt-this has been buffed and can been done fast in succession and has pretty good range and priority.

His U-air is a bit stronger and a bit faster coming out, and his U-tilt is still really really fast to come out. Plus the super armor on his claw allows for easier slams then we first thought(since it got a range nerf).

IM not saying this because im biased about Bowser, I'm just saying people are overlooking all the casts buffs and nerfs. For example, Yoshi was crap in brawl but now his eggs help his recovery a bit. This could help him big time as meta game develops.

I am also thinking people are trying to play the brawl cast like their melee counterparts and think wow he sucks now(Dk and Cf for example). And with the new brawl characters everyone is thinking wow he is Broken(olimar and marth). Meta game still has to develope big time before we say who is broken and who sucks big balls.
Bowser's fortress does not have infinite priority, still does not have disjointed hitbox. Look, I play Bowser roughly frequently. His speed is his main detriment, I mean sure, he's faster, or at least in comparison, but it still means he has some noticeable lag.

I believe it's not a measure of how much BETTER a character is potentially, I believe it's just the difficulty of learning to play a character correctly. Don't tell me using Fox is hard. Just don't do it, anyone with primitive, maybe autistic reflexes can learn him in a few minutes. But give me the same person beating someone's Fox with aforementioned Bowser.

Skill + Difficulty is the name of the game, not potential, people. Statistics are statistics, but it's not specific movesets' specifics we should be looking at as much as we do. I've seen a Pichu that can eat Foxes alive in melee, I believe the same principal should apply, if not better, here.

Chariot

Smash Rookie
Response to K20

Ike - powerhouse that lacks a good reflector and has no combos to make up for it. He won't make it, I'm fairly sure.

Pikachu - no real reasons given, good attacks get you nowhere without a reflector, or good combos.

D3, chainthrow. Combo that makes up for no reflector or speed, alright choice.

Lucas, yes say why please. As I see him he's good, but no real reason to choose him.

Tlink combos like breathing, and exploits nearly every attack that seems useless on link. He'll be great.

Wolf, good reflector, nice weight, good character.

Marth is definately still here with his counter, and his ability to make wolf and falco work for their wins, I think he's actually doing quite well versus the spacies right now, so he'll be quite strong.

Others of note: diddy for his banana combos, possibly olimar or pit, for their damage and camping respectively, we'll see, but I think their lack of counters will keep them from top tier.

Edit: Also, reading your sig, you just seem to have thrown in ike and pika because you "main" them. This is dumb, I main diddy, but think he is lacking at the high end competition, I think he'll be ok, but he's gonna fall behind when new tech is found.

FlashGearz

Smash Apprentice
I can name about 5 good reasons why Dedede should be in High Tier

1. he has best chain throw in the game, along with great forward, and back throws.
2. One of the best edgeguards in the game, with his Forward and back airs.
3. Can kill at reletivily low perences with some of this moves, like Fsmash, Down-B, up tilt, down tilt, forward air and back air.
4. All his tilts are great for comboing, and Uptilt and down tilt have soid KO potential. forward tilt has good range, and comes out fast
5. Waddle Dee are one of the best projectiles in the game. Able to stop fox, falco, and wolf lasers easily, Along with Pikmin, aura spheres, Arrows, fire Balls, snakes rockets, and Lucas moves.

6. He is a freakin' penguin with a hammer. Need I say more?

xS A M U R A Ix

Smash Ace
ROB is god tier. He was obviously made by the allies to combat hitler. I mean come on, he's got a jewish death dradle, and eye lasers. What else do you want?

Seriously though, rob's really good. Great comboability, possibly the best down smash in the game, amazing recovery, heavy weight, a spike, self made items, disjointed hit boxes, a nice wall of pain with fair, really good KO potential on a lot of his moves. I don't see a lot of down sides with him. Definitely one of the better characters.

Personally, this is what I think the tiers are. It feels like any character can win, and I think they're definitely a lot closer than they were before. So instead, I ranked them into 3 categories. Upper tier is the tier for the characters with more advantages and stuff going for them than the other characters. Mid tier is for the average characters who are still good but don't have anything REALLY amazing to abuse, and low tier is the tier for that characters that can still win but have to work harder than the rest. I feel like this is a more fair way to categorize everyone.

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

Upper Tier

Metaknight
ROB
Toon Link
Wolf
Marth
Fox
Falco
DeDeDe
Olimar
Zelda
Snake

Mid Tier

ZSS
Samus
Mario
Luigi
Kirby
Ike
Link
Pikachu
G&W
Diddy
Pit
Sheik
Pokemon Trainer
Peach
Lucario
Ness
Wario

Low Tier

Bowser
DK
Sonic
Falcon
Ice Climbers

Chariot

Smash Rookie
I shortened it up for you because thats all you basically said.
Not entirely, effective combos get you to high tier as well, and I'm basing this mostly on melee tiers. Top/high tier had counters, or were shiek (combo heavy). Perhaps this game is different. I doubt it highly.

Edit: Also, I wanted to do exactly your post (plus combos), except he explained individual choices, so I countered each one.

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
Here's my tier list

SSBB Tier List

Top:
Wolf
Olimar
Marth

Upper:
Toon Link
Pit
Metaknight
Ike
Pikachu

High:
Diddy Kong
Link
Fox
Sonic

Mid:
Ice Climbers
Zero Suit Samus
Snake
Luigi
Zelda
R.O.B.
Lucas
Mario

Low:
Peach
DK
Falco
Game and Watch
Pokemon Trainer
Ness
Captain Falcon
Dedede
Bowser
Ganondorf
Sheik

Botttom:
Jiggypuff
Lucario
Wario
Yoshi

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
Does anyone else find this thread kinda stupid?
I mean, if tiers are truly only about tournament results...then shouldn't you guys be talking about that instead of "I think ___should be top tier because obviously he has potential"
Wow, they all have potential.
I haven't checked out any tournament results, so there's no way I can make any statement at the moment.
The discussion is, generally about how people think a character will match up vs. other characters, and the result of that is, hypothetically, who will do well at tournies. Common sense.

It's all hypothetical, though, obviously.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Bowser is pretty defensive, as far as being smart and stuff....he can control a lot of the space around him with tilts and stuff. But Bowser can also be aggressive as long as he's not dumb about it. He just needs to pressure a lot.....and maybe suicide grab :D

By the way, I don't know a lot about Bowser, so don't shoot me :chuckle:

EDIT: oops, didn't realize there was a full page of posts i hadn't read yet XD

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Here's my tier list

SSBB Tier List

Top:
Wolf
Olimar
Marth

Upper:
Toon Link