• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official ask Roy Boards Thread (Roy Tactical Discussion.)

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
I just made the switch from P:M to melee. I play Falcon mostly but I picked up Roy. I can L-cancel all his moves accurately when I don't hit the opponent. Is there any stun when it comes to SHFFL Fair. Because only sometimes I get the Dtilt to come out after Lcing,..I do it fine if I miss fair.

smoothjazzyet

Smash Rookie
Hey, i just registered to the forums to post there :)
So my question is more about PM roy than Melee roy but i didnt find a similar thread in project M forums
: How do you deal against Mario? You will think this is weird but i thought a good way to practice with the AI would be to try to 4-stock any of them.. and i dont do it against Mario ( i spent almost 3 hours trying it ). and i tried with my mother main, diddy kong, and did it first attempt, even though i hear sometimes that Mario is rough for Diddy + i think i'm actually a better diddy than roy's

vZakat

Half Genie
Oh ok this thread is outdated :(
Yeah sorry to say the melee roy boards are pretty dead for now but I plan on attempting to revive them. As far as your question goes though I can't help you and making a new thread in the roy pm section might be better. The engine for melee and pm are drastically different so the mindset you have to play is different as well as what is smart and safe for each game (some cross over between games but a lot doesn't). I don't like pm very much and when I do play I don't even play roy lol.

Anyways try the pm roy boards. Here's the link:
http://smashboards.com/forums/roy.410/

smoothjazzyet

Smash Rookie
Yeah I actually like pm because i can play the new roy and diddy kong, and in general the matchups are more diverse.

Thanks for the link, imma check this :luigimelee:

vZakat

Half Genie
No one has brought up anything to talk about. I've been too busy recently to start up anything but I want to...

vZakat

Half Genie
We could talk about technical things (frame data and what not), or match ups, or general smash stuff and how to apply them with roy (this is what I wanna talk about) or any other number of things.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
We could talk about technical things (frame data and what not), or match ups, or general smash stuff and how to apply them with roy (this is what I wanna talk about) or any other number of things.
Hmm... ok, let's start with Roy's pseudo tipper, which I'm assuming you saw on the Roy forum page. What do you make of it?

vZakat

Half Genie
Honestly I think that's actually his sweetspot and have been using it for years. His sweetspot isn't the hilt but the middle of his sword. The hilt is only a strong spot. I started using the term strong spot to describe the hit box that isn't the sweetspot or the tip. For example sweetspotting roy's dair is the meteor, tipping it sends them up a little, and strong spotting it sends them outwards.

And if you look the the hitboxes the middle part of fsmash has a bigger hitbox than the tip and strong spot hitboxes.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
Honestly I think that's actually his sweetspot and have been using it for years. His sweetspot isn't the hilt but the middle of his sword. The hilt is only a strong spot. I started using the term strong spot to describe the hit box that isn't the sweetspot or the tip. For example sweetspotting roy's dair is the meteor, tipping it sends them up a little, and strong spotting it sends them outwards.

And if you look the the hitboxes the middle part of fsmash has a bigger hitbox than the tip and strong spot hitboxes.
I've always thought that the sweetspot was in the middle as well, but it seriously looks like a tipper if you space it right.

GUYS NEW ROY META!!!!!!1!1!!!!1

Last edited:

Tide

Smash Rookie
What's up Roy boards? I'm really interested in learning Roy and was hoping to generate some discussion in the forums. I've been lurking and reading archives, but then I figured I'd just post here myself.

I'll start with a basic question. I have noticed that one of Roy's major weaknesses in neutral is his weakness covering high aerial approaches like full hop anything from spacies or fast fallers.

Tricking them with movement and DeD their missed attack seems to work well.

Also sometimes reading the shield drop attack or fall through with an up-smash works. Up-Smash while slow has a great hitbox when it's out and will beat vertical attacks or trade. Can also give a nice follow up chase. High committal option but worth throwing in every now and then.

I have a theory that it may be possible to utilize up air by tricking the opponent with empty hops and changing the timing. But this one is hard for me as I always seem to miss U-airs when I try to counter attack.

How do you other Roy mains deal with Vertical approaches? are there any active Roy's still? talk to me Roy boards

paging vZakat darkoblivion12 NJzfinest Lunchables

Last edited:

vZakat

Half Genie
As far as vertical approaches your best bet is to bait out their attack with dash dancing. Since we are talking about fast fallers most of them don't have any moves you can beat when you are on the ground. You can try and do a rising uair to challenge some stuff like fox's dair but it will probably trade at best. Dash dance and punish with grab or dtilt. Also you shouldn't be challenging them if they are on a platform. Find a way to get on the platform safely or just take center stage.

Top Bottom