• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Ask Cort Stuff... about Stuff" Thread

Cort

Apple Head
Generally, you FC into their shield and dsmash immediately after and pray that it shield stabs.

You're going to have to explain your post better, as I'm having a hard time.. reading it.

Master Peach

Smash Ace
Cort Do you use the upsmash for the sweet spot? And if so how do you apply it.

For me when I fight fast fallers, I normally build there damage then lead them to the edge of the stage afterwards I grab, toss them down, They recover and roll away from the edge, I tech chase, then apply the sweet spot. Instant kill. This can also apply to lighter characters but is a lot harder to do on them.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I do, But I get nervous when my Shield gets small, and then his Dsmash cuts right throw it.

How can i use FC well against Fox. Cause I heard somewhere that its bad to be over fox. But Good FC on Fox can do damage. I just dont know how. his air attacks seem to beat my FC techs. I dont really know how to go at one with FC
Sorry **** key board. I fix it.

Cort

Apple Head
I very rarely up smash and when I do it's to predict a Fox/Falco illusion or up b going straight at me. I do it sometimes in Peach dittos also. I don't bother with the sweet spot because it's not even as powerful as Fox's up smash, and it's just too hard to do anyway.

The only exception I can think of is a Jigglypuff that missed its rest on DK64. You can push the Jigglypuff onto the slanted parts of the stage, then turn around and up smash, it'll always sweet spot. Very easy kills against Jiggs on that stage.

It's much easier and simpler to just edge gaurd normally with a uthrow/nair or simple fthrow instead of hoping that they tech away from the stage and hoping you're going to run the exact distance in order to sweet spot. Just keep it simple.

cablepuff

Smash Ace
hmm so more specific..

From playing my friend for few games. lost all 4 .. 3, 3, 4 stocked with sheik, last game went marth and lost on last life 85 percent (a lot better).

So with sheik what would a good sheik DO and not DO for these situations.

Game play
1.) against a turnip rushing peach throws turnip forward and dash attack.
2.) gets a turnip and FC over with down air and drops the turnips.
3.) Peach decides to turnip camp.

When recovering.
1.) Throws turnips at you and edge hogs?
2.) Floats out with netural air?
3.) Jump out with netural air?
4.) Peach thats camps and wait while your holding onto the edge.

Ding throw.
a.) Peaches down throw (I've been re grab before or get hit by dash attack).
b.) Peaches forward throw when your near the edge.

Platform:
down smash on top of platform especially on Fountain of dream sometimes i get sucked in.

Edge guarding
Peach floats out high and above you and decides to air doge to grab edge (thats mind game i know).
1.) In all case assumed she hasn't use her double jump yet, my friends know how to di).
a.) When peach approaches below you?
b.) When peach is on same level as you?
c.) When peach is coming way above you?
d.) When peach floats over you with her par sol and than cancel it on last minutes?
2.) When your near the edge and peach is grabbing it.

Down throw combos
What to do about netural air i.e. the combo stopper.

* edit * if all else fail i just go back to marth and fair and grab camp peach

Cort

Apple Head
Well, I can't exactly help you because I don't play Sheik. Especially against other Peaches, as I'd rather Peach ditto.

I've already outlined that it's much better to play very defensively if you're the Sheik, and punish the Peach with grab combos. Staying spaced using bairs is also quite the good idea.

Watch out if the Peach is on a platform, don't try and approach her as she'll try to dsmash you and it's basically like a free CC dsmash. Wait for her to dsmash and punish accordingly.

If Peach edge gaurds you by edge hogging to dsmash, crouch cancel the first hit so you're sent towards the other side of the stage instead of a long process of being edge guarded by dsmash over and over. I've talked about this in the topic before already.

The best you can do against Peach's dthrow is DIing behind her, and then hoping they don't dash attack you fast enough which allows you to nair them (hopefully). At non killable %s always DI the fthrow if Peach is facing the edge just like any other good throw, up and slightly towards the stage.

And yeah, in conclusion I'd suggest Marth over Sheik vs Peach any day. The match up is far more in Marth's favor and I feel like Sheik vs Peach is only slightly in Sheik's favor.

The rest of your specific questions can be answered just from experience in playing the match up. Sheik's edge gaurds are generally strong bairs or slaps, and it's all according to how the Peach recovers. You have to take some risks with these moves to make sure the Peach will think twice of how to recover.

I'm going to bed for now, I have classes in the morning. :(

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
At very high %s it becomes impossible to escape fthrow -> wd -> fsmash, atleast I've never been able to get around it. (curse you Cactuar)
<3

This only works if the Marth can do longer than average wavedashes within a somewhat limited frame span. Or at least that's what I tell myself so I can sleep at night after beating a player who is clearly better than I am in tournament purely because they play Peach and I play a character who is heavily imbalanced towards that matchup.

BTW, I approve of you stealing my thread name and idea. Like brethren we are.

Cort

Apple Head
I've read that it's slightly weaker than Fox's usmash.

<3 Cactuar. Greatest sig ever? FEED ME A STRAY CAT.

We go.. even. ;_;

Even for life.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I'd get rid of Saturn and the Beam Sword and give her Pokeballs and motion sensor mines.
No love for the beam sword...=/ I understand that you don't like Saturn, but what's wrong with the Beam sword? You got more 100% reliability on Fsmashes then you did before. Not to mention the range.

Also, what's wrong with a Super Mushroom? =p

What are common Peach players midstakes?

what type of Peach skills are there and what's their advantage/disadvantage?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I've been getting a lot of mixed messages on this; is Yoshi's Story more favorable for Peach or Fox in the matchup? Is Dream Land more favorable for Peach or Fox in the matchup?

Cort

Apple Head
No love for the beam sword...=/ I understand that you don't like Saturn, but what's wrong with the Beam sword? You got more 100% reliability on Fsmashes then you did before. Not to mention the range.

Also, what's wrong with a Super Mushroom? =p

What are common Peach players midstakes?

what type of Peach skills are there and what's their advantage/disadvantage?
I don't really like the beam sword all that much except for its chucking purposes. *shrug* at Super Mushroom.

Peach player common mistakes? Recovering too low. Dsmashing too much (for no reason). Being XiF. Not fastfalling FC'd nairs fast enough like my nub friend XiF.

Peach skills? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that. But technical ability as a whole is pretty important. Turnip accuracy is also ridiculously important. You'll have to get a little less general with this question.

Cort, do you fall into Kens peach theory?
I'm not gay, metrosexual, or feminine but I am slightly over weight and white. I have been losing weight slowly over the last 3 or so months. So, I guess I sort of do fall under it, but I won't be sometime next year.

His theory is pretty stupid. It basically encompasses like 70% of smashers anyway.

I've been getting a lot of mixed messages on this; is Yoshi's Story more favorable for Peach or Fox in the matchup? Is Dream Land more favorable for Peach or Fox in the matchup?
It all depends on the Fox's style, really. Giant stages are havens for campy Foxes. I really don't like YS against perfectly aggressive Foxes because I end up dying fairly early due to the low ceiling. I don't mind playing really campy Foxes because they're lame and suck.

It's why I think Pokemon Stadium is the best stage for Fox. It's big and has a low ceiling, perfect for camping and getting lower % kills.

Cort

Apple Head
Cort, where the hell did you come from?

What happened to like... Mike G? :(
I came from Poland. Well I was born there.

I grew up in Connecticut. I'm lucky enough to live between PC Chris and KoreanDJ, so I see them at tournaments often (unfortunately?).

Mike G moved to Georgia a couple of years ago, which unfortunately made his smash skill freeze in time. NY is one of the best areas to play cause of the wide range of competition.

I remember the first time I met Mike G. It was in August of 2003, at Smash 4 Cash. We both arrived at the venue at the same time, and I didn't know who he was. But he was friendly and as we went up the elevator to the venue's floor, we made passionate love.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
I remember the first time I met Mike G. It was in August of 2003, at Smash 4 Cash. We both arrived at the venue at the same time, and I didn't know who he was. But he was friendly and as we went up the elevator to the venue's floor, we made passionate love.
I....hope ya was wearing protection....O_O

Anyway, what do you mean everyone is trying to be like Xif? (explain how he plays)

My last question...I mean like the type of skills peach players play. Like, is there a good or bad thing when playing agressive with Peach or even up to a Mike G level? Is it good to mostly being defensive? Should we mostly be techy characters like Vidjogamer? Or should we have all three?

You probably can't answer this, but do you have any favorite smashers in NY (General, not just the city)

Cort

Apple Head
I....hope ya was wearing protection....O_O

Anyway, what do you mean everyone is trying to be like Xif? (explain how he plays)

My last question...I mean like the type of skills peach players play. Like, is there a good or bad thing when playing agressive with Peach or even up to a Mike G level? Is it good to mostly being defensive? Should we mostly be techy characters like Vidjogamer? Or should we have all three?

You probably can't answer this, but do you have any favorite smashers in NY (General, not just the city)
No protection is needed for the purest of love.

Where did I say everyone is trying to be like XiF? o_O

Generally, it's always smart to be defensive. However, you can play smart and still be very aggressive, which I guess is a form of playing defensively. Remember what I said, waiting is the epitome of this game. If you're not the first person to make a mistake, you're less likely to be hit, and more likely to punish the other player.

Some Peaches are just very blatantly defensive. All they do is float backwards and wait around. This isn't a bad thing, I just find it very very boring to do constantly. There are times when my play style gets to be this way, but I still throw out very aggressive attacks when I see the time is right. This all comes from my experience.

This applies to basically any play style with any character, even ones that seem extremely aggressive. Korean DJ may seem to be very aggressive, but the majority of his attacks are carefully placed, as he camps for short moments before punishing whatever he sees. He dishes out smart, spaced attacks and follows up to what works barely thinking about it.

Vidjo is.. techy? XD No offense to Vidjo, but he's not very technical at all. Which by no means is a bad thing, I play Peach without wavedashing... He plays Peach very well and carefully, he's good at camping and waiting longer than the other person (which in turn, makes him less likely to make a mistake).

My favorite NY smashers are PC and Wes. Who else? =P

Everyone else is very cool, though. I really can't think of anyone I dislike at all from NY.

Cort

Apple Head
Cort... why Peach? Seriously... WHY PEACH?
I play everyone pretty well, I'm just most comfortable with Peach.

I first started because one of my best friends played Peach and Luigi (I use Luigi in low tiers, even though he's blatantly not.. low tier...)

We were pretty big rivals, so what better way to get at him than by beating him with his own character? Peach just has a very unique style of gameplay with her float/double jump/float cancels. I started making up weird maneuvers and tactics, practiced my technical skill, and started using her a lot in tournament. After all my hard work and practice, traveling to local tournaments, I finally went to California on a whim cause my Dad said he'd pay for it, and I did pretty well going all Peach.

I took games off Sastopher in pools, I beat Chu in the crew battle. At this point it sort of hit me... my Peach is good? So why not continue using her? Well, to be honest that was a mistake. Peach is garbage and gets absurdly ***** by Fox and Marth and some Sheiks. :grin: She also has pretty even matchups with basically every other character except Ice Climbers, which makes things pretty hard against mid-low tier players with nothing to lose.

Cort

Apple Head
So you submit that Marth is far sexier, especially with that tiara of his?
Yeah, basically. He's also just as fun if not funner to play and has much funner matchups and an overall easier time against everyone (except.. Ice Climbers?).

Cort

Apple Head
what are your favorite peach colors in order? obviously white being first and daisy being last cuz daisy is ugly but what about in between.
LOL what a random question. But here goes:

1 - White
2 - Green
3 - Pink
4 - Blue/ugly violet
5 - Colored Woman

I'd only ever play the first 3 choices.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Where did I say everyone is trying to be like XiF? o_O
Here

Peach player common mistakes? Recovering too low. Dsmashing too much (for no reason). Being XiF. Not fastfalling FC'd nairs fast enough like my nub friend XiF.
So you submit that Marth is far sexier, especially with that tiara of his?
Marth is a emo pretty boy who should be mid tier. because of his emo prettyness. You can definitly tell he's japanese

Cort

Apple Head
Oh, I was just poking fun at XiF. XiF's biggest mistake is being himself. + his butt Peach

Yeah.. you can probably deduct Marth being Japanese from a number of things. >_>

Cort

Apple Head
who was your first character?
The very first time I played the game was in training mode. I chose Ice Climbers cause they looked interesting. I played against a standing Link...

I played pretty much everyone randomly before OC2. I played Fox/Falco, some Marth, Luigi... whoever I felt like. ~_~

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Kay, now it's time for silly questions :D

1) Do you believe in DoH's Peach Theroy? (Link: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=84723 )

2) Do you think Peach is a virgin? and who you think she lost it to?

3) Err...if any of your smash friends were somehow in Brawl, who would it be and how would you make them? (Powerful like Ganon, Speedy like Fox, Mario all around, etc.)

4) Why do you hate immigrants? (Daisy)

Cort

Apple Head
1) Do you believe in DoH's Peach Theroy? (Link: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=84723 )

2) Do you think Peach is a virgin? and who you think she lost it to?

3) Err...if any of your smash friends were somehow in Brawl, who would it be and how would you make them? (Powerful like Ganon, Speedy like Fox, Mario all around, etc.)

4) Why do you hate immigrants? (Daisy)
No, it says me and XiF are defensive? XD

Peach is a nasty slut. She can fit turnips, beam swords, Mr. Saturns, Toad, golf clubs, tennis rackets, frying pans and bob-ombs in her cooter. That's disgusting. How else could she fit that many things in there? Bowser doesn't kidnap her just to piss off Mario.

I don't really think about Brawl that way. *shrug*

Daisy isn't an immigrant. She's just an ugly colored woman.

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Peach is a nasty slut. She can fit turnips, beam swords, Mr. Saturns, Toad, golf clubs, tennis rackets, frying pans and bob-ombs in her cooter. That's disgusting. How else could she fit that many things in there? Bowser doesn't kidnap her just to piss off Mario.
You forgot toad :p

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
Its true. the worst mistake is being XIF.

I am a mistake ;_;

But I like the reference to me vs jiano vids for one of your questions, but I submit each question can be responded to by any one video with me playing.

Actually, I think this thread should be "Ask XIF stuff about everything and anything"

but remember i'm still a mistake <_<;

Cort

Apple Head
You've got the idea down, XiFfy.

But yeah, that was a good set. Good ****. You played like a true ***got.

Oh, another lesson to be learned in Melee: Gay and good are synonymous in this game. Be as gay as possible.

M2K usually has a phallic object in every one of his orifices. He's that good.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Is it just me or being XiF is a good thing against Captain Falcon?

I usually play very defensively (Vidjo is my hero), but I have a hard time playing like this against Falcon because of his insane speed... I'd rather get in his face and pressure his *** before he gets a chance to **** me.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I noticed that using Toad the first time while airborne will give you a slight vertical boost. Is this good for anything at all?

Top Bottom