• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Ask Anyone Frame Things Thread

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Can anyone tell me what SDI inputs are being used in this clip? https://clips.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/UglyTermiteDatSheffy

There are 2 instances where icies go for a downthrow, and then a dair with Nana, and I'm wondering what SDI inputs the fox is using on the 2 situations. It looks like he's SDI'ing away but i'm not 100% sure (could it also be down?)
Looks like left then down and left to me, but I might be wrong.

Sycorax

Smash Ace
How are throws hitstun calculated? Is it different for weight dependant throws as well.
Same as hitboxes. Throws have all the same necessary properties. Use the same formula except weight is 100 regardless of character. A consequence of this is that throws do the same hitstun to each character when all other factors equal. Weight dependent throws aren't calculated differently.

Sycorax

Smash Ace
How does Westballz slide off here? Does the fox walking over to him push him off? It seems like he should be hit by fox's shine. gif link https://gifs.com/gif/0gpBBV Youtube link https://youtu.be/yPn0UkawItQ?t=443
There are two possibilities. It's one or the other or both. He could have had a incy wincy bit of KB left over from the jab that pushed him over the edge. Fox could have pushed him off with ECB interaction.

The shine came out while Westballz was still invincible from the standing animation.

Don't know the answer but that's some insane tech. He did it deliberately as well cuz he was ready for the dair.
I'm 99% sure the dair was unintentional. He was probably trying to ASDI down and got lucky with the timing.

Rachman

be water my friend
For powershielding specifically projectiles, is it recommended to remove the analog portion of the trigger being used? I'm a little confused about the transition to GuardReflect or whatever the status is called and wanted to start grinding powershields v Falco lasers. I was also considering just shortening the analog distance like the Kadano mod but I really hate the analog to digital thing where you lose shield for like two frames when transitioning from analog to digital. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Sycorax

Smash Ace
For powershielding specifically projectiles, is it recommended to remove the analog portion of the trigger being used? I'm a little confused about the transition to GuardReflect or whatever the status is called and wanted to start grinding powershields v Falco lasers. I was also considering just shortening the analog distance like the Kadano mod but I really hate the analog to digital thing where you lose shield for like two frames when transitioning from analog to digital. Anyone have any thoughts on it?
According to Kadano's notes on the wiki, the Analog to Digital shield bug doesn't affect powershielding projectiles. The chance of spending a frame in analog shield does, of course.

I've removed springs from my triggers and it makes powershielding waayyy easier.

ᴠanilla

Smash Rookie
I was wondering if someone could tell me a little about powershields, specifically when you get multiple powershields is succession like in this video: https://youtu.be/1-nkH9s3e3k?t=4m5s

I've done this myself occasionally but I've never understood what's going on because sometimes it just feels like I pressed L once and got multiple powershields.

Sycorax

Smash Ace
I was wondering if someone could tell me a little about powershields, specifically when you get multiple powershields is succession like in this video: https://youtu.be/1-nkH9s3e3k?t=4m5s

I've done this myself occasionally but I've never understood what's going on because sometimes it just feels like I pressed L once and got multiple powershields.
There is a good article on SSBWiki that talks about powershields. In this instance, Yoshi powershielded the nair, and since successive hits of nair come so fast as to keep the defender in GuardDamage during the whole move, each hit is powershielded. Lots of fast, multi-hit moves will do this, e.g. Fox dair and Peach dsmash.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@Vanilla That was caused by Yoshi specific powershield storing glitch . In short, if Yoshi interrupts his shield during active powershield window, the powershield window remains in memory. If he then puts up shield again without activating powershield, which is done by light shielding or buffering shield, next physical attacks will be automatically powershielded.

In the vid at ~4:04 the yoshi did a frame 1 full shield -> frame 2 roll, which stored the remaining 3 frames of his powershield window. He then either buffered shield or light shielded on the left plat, and ps'd the first 3 hits of the nair according to the stored ps count.

There is a good article on SSBWiki that talks about powershields. In this instance, Yoshi powershielded the nair, and since successive hits of nair come so fast as to keep the defender in GuardDamage during the whole move, each hit is powershielded. Lots of fast, multi-hit moves will do this, e.g. Fox dair and Peach dsmash.
The wiki article is outdated, and imo a bit unclear too on multipowershielding. Keeping someone in GuardDamage doesn't make him powershield multiple times, since the powershield window ticks down during GuardDamage. Non-Yoshi characters will (barring heartshield) powershield multiple hits only if they all hit within 4 frames of the shield start-up, excluding hitlag. However the window to cancel GuardOff into moves only wears down during Guard, so the ability to cancel GuardOff is preserved if you're kept in GuardDamage.

Last edited:

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
this feels like a dumb question, but does tilting a shield change its hitbox?

IE, if you're in someones face and suspect you're about to get grabbed, if you tilt your shield away, can you actually become effectively "safer" than you were prior?

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
this feels like a dumb question, but does tilting a shield change its hitbox?

IE, if you're in someones face and suspect you're about to get grabbed, if you tilt your shield away, can you actually become effectively "safer" than you were prior?
Non-Yoshi characters don't have grabbable shield bubble, but tilting your shield does slightly change your characters pose.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
ah, so sheild size doesn't affect it either. i guess that makes sense. so even lightshielding isn't easy to grab? also makes sense. but the pose changing might make your arms or whatever harder to grab by a little, making a marginal difference, but not one as large as the movement of the actual shield.

Thanks man, you've answered an odd question of mine in the past too (i think about the marth dash distortion). I appreciate it.

Last edited:

reverie2

Smash Apprentice
Tech-roll prevents you from falling off, kb velocity is reduced by ground friction on each frame during the roll.
I amsah tech towards ledge a lot of the time, and sometimes i fall off stage, sometimes i don't. Can this be influenced in any way (like if i hold my stick a certain direction) or is it strictly dependent on knockback?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
If you tech-in-place, you'll fall immediately; if you roll, you'll fall after the roll if you still have kb speed remaining after the roll.

reverie2

Smash Apprentice
A couple questions...

1. Falco's dair should be amsah techable right (i'm pretty sure i've seen it before)? How come when I enter it in this website http://ikneedata.com/calculator? it doesn't show that it's amsah techable? I'm using TDI down, ASDI down, Fox as victim, with a clean dair. At all %'s it does not display amsah techable.

2. Does ASDI down reduce lag against falco at all (not full crouch cancel effect)? Like at 20 ish percent when he dairs me and I hold down before the last frame of hitlag, it doesn't feel like i'm escaping lag faster.

3. Falco's dair hits 290 degrees from horizontal, meaning it's just downwards and slightly to the right. How does that work? Is the angle just projected somehow because obviously you can't go inside the stage.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
A couple questions...

1. Falco's dair should be amsah techable right (i'm pretty sure i've seen it before)? How come when I enter it in this website http://ikneedata.com/calculator? it doesn't show that it's amsah techable? I'm using TDI down, ASDI down, Fox as victim, with a clean dair. At all %'s it does not display amsah techable.

2. Does ASDI down reduce lag against falco at all (not full crouch cancel effect)? Like at 20 ish percent when he dairs me and I hold down before the last frame of hitlag, it doesn't feel like i'm escaping lag faster.

3. Falco's dair hits 290 degrees from horizontal, meaning it's just downwards and slightly to the right. How does that work? Is the angle just projected somehow because obviously you can't go inside the stage.
1. Oversight in the calculator. I'll inform schmoob on this.

2. ASDI down works by making you land from air immediately after launching. If you're hit by a non-tumble spike, you'll stay on ground. You can't land when on ground, so ASDI doesn't do anything. It's also impossible to ASDI down when you stay grounded too.

3. If you stay grounded upon hit, the vertical speed component will simply be removed. Horizontal component remains and makes you slide on ground. At tumble kb (when the spikes pop you up), the initial velocity is mirrored and reduced by 20%.

Last edited:

reverie2

Smash Apprentice
1. Oversight in the calculator. I'll inform schmoob on this.

2. ASDI down works by making you land from air immediately after launching. If you're hit by a non-tumble spike, you'll stay on ground. You can't land when on ground, so ASDI doesn't do anything. It's also impossible to ASDI down when you stay grounded too.

3. If you stay grounded upon hit, the vertical speed component will simply be removed. Horizontal component remains and makes you slide on ground. At tumble kb (when the spikes pop you up), the initial velocity is mirrored and reduced by 20%.
So basically, ASDI down does absolutely nothing unless you're high enough % to go slightly into the air (but not high enough to send you flying across the stage), where you can amsah tech?

reverie2

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know how to calculate the total stun from a projectile hitting shield? I thought it was hitlag + shieldstun, but i saw a post by kadano here http://smashboards.com/threads/kadanos-perfect-marth-class-advanced-frame-data-application.337035/ saying falco's laser's stun is set. But hitlag is floor(damage/3) + 3, and falco's laser does 3 hitlag unstaled, and 2 hitlag or less staled, meaning if the formula is correct, it's 1+3 hitlag or 0+3 hitlag. Did i miss something here?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I think he referred to hitstun, which is always the same. Total stun on shield is 7 frames when completely unstale, and 5 frames (Least amount of hitlag and hitstun possible, 3 and 2 respectively) when stale.

Rachman

be water my friend
What is the minimum input (y coordinate or whatever) that triggers a wall jump tech instead of a normal wall tech? Presumably the same as a tap jump but I don't know the answer either of those things. Asking because if I want to sdi into the wall and not wall jump tech I'd have to be careful to keep my stick beneath a certain point

Bones0

Smash Legend
What is the minimum input (y coordinate or whatever) that triggers a wall jump tech instead of a normal wall tech? Presumably the same as a tap jump but I don't know the answer either of those things. Asking because if I want to sdi into the wall and not wall jump tech I'd have to be careful to keep my stick beneath a certain point
I don't know the exact Y-value, but the cutoff point is slightly below the northeast and northwest notches.

PassiveWall trigger map
"During the beginning of PassiveWall (walltech), holding the control stick within the yellow area will trigger PassiveWallJump (short PWJ, “walljumptech”). I rather recommend using X/Y jump buffering, though."

Source: Kadano

Last edited:

Rachman

be water my friend
I don't know the exact Y-value, but the cutoff point is slightly below the northeast and northwest notches.

PassiveWall trigger map
"During the beginning of PassiveWall (walltech), holding the control stick within the yellow area will trigger PassiveWallJump (short PWJ, “walljumptech”). I rather recommend using X/Y jump buffering, though."

Source: Kadano
Didn't know about this specific control stick map from Kadano! Thanks, I'm going to go from cardinal to a little below diagonal and then just press b to ledge tech up b :)

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Rachman Rachman You play falcon? I don't find the wall jump disadvantageous for falcon if you're trying to grab them with upb after. You just gotta time the upb well.

Rachman

be water my friend
Rachman Rachman You play falcon? I don't find the wall jump disadvantageous for falcon if you're trying to grab them with upb after. You just gotta time the upb well.
Vs Sheik Dsmash wizzy can up b them after teching because he doesn't wall jump tech. Wanted to do that too

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I could be mistaken, but I think the height you gain from wj helps you grab earlier as long as you do it quickly. Anyway you shouldn't hold up when ledge teching, better to A/SDI full horizontal, and tech wall jump with x/y when needed.

Last edited:

Rachman

be water my friend
I could be mistaken, but I think the height you gain from wj helps you grab earlier as long as you do it quickly. Anyway you shouldn't hold up when ledge teching, better to A/SDI full horizontal, and tech wall jump with x/y when needed.
The problem being that the following hits will hit you before you grab with the Up-B I'm pretty sure. At least, when I watch Wizzy do it in slow motion that is how I see it, he is just normal wall teching followed by an Up B so that he isn't high enough for the dsmash hit that will normally hit you before you can to hit.

Bones0

Smash Legend
The problem being that the following hits will hit you before you grab with the Up-B I'm pretty sure. At least, when I watch Wizzy do it in slow motion that is how I see it, he is just normal wall teching followed by an Up B so that he isn't high enough for the dsmash hit that will normally hit you before you can to hit.
If he's grabbing Sheik through her dsmash or something, I'd guess that's it's more a result of timing his up-B so well that he still has wall jump intangibility. I forget how many intan frames you get, but I'm pretty sure the strength of the move affects how much actionable intan you have anyway. I think you waste intan frames during the hitlag after teching or something? Someone please confirm... Either way, I think there are some instances where Falcon can wall tech up-B and grab them while he's still intangible, which might be what you saw Wizzrobe do. I doubt he's somehow out-spacing Sheik's dsmash with up-B regardless of whether he wall tech jumps or not.

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
After further testing I was able to confirm that what you said is true if sheik times his dsmash in a certain way; if you ledge tech without jumping you can just drop down a bit and up b him every time, whereas with upb walljump you get sometimes hit. Anyway, you should hold straight sideways for the tech.

I guess I just haven't ran into sheiks in that mu that time the dsmash properly.

Rachman

be water my friend
After further testing I was able to confirm that what you said is true if sheik times his dsmash in a certain way; if you ledge tech without jumping you can just drop down a bit and up b him every time, whereas with upb walljump you get sometimes hit. Anyway, you should hold straight sideways for the tech.

I guess I just haven't ran into sheiks in that mu that time the dsmash properly.
I knew it!

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Powershield (PS)
The powershield technique consists of two sub-phenomena that both have their own merits over the normal shield:
1. Powershield-projectile, from now on abbreviated as PSP.
2. Powershield-attack, from now on abbreviated as PSA.
Equally, SP is simply shield against projectiles and SA is shield against attacks.

Both are only available for digital shoulder button inputs—in other words, you need to fully depress the L or R triggers, beyond the click sound / tactile feedback. “Digital press” of either L or R will be abbreviated as “DP”, opposed to “AP” (analog press).
Analog inputs alone can never trigger powershield effects.
In general, PSP happens when an incoming projectile connects with your powershield sphere (PSS, see image below) during the first two frames of shielding. For PSA, it’s the first four frames, and the entire shield bubble works.

However, by transitioning between analog and digital shield inputs or combining them in some way, different frame windows, PSS sizes and PS behaviors are possible.

1. Analog→digital transition powershield (ADT-PS), first described in the ssbwiki article, section 2.1
2. Digital→analog transition powershield (DAT-PS), recently described as “light powershield”, apparently discovered by @The Phenom.
3. Z+digital powershield (Z-PS), recently discovered by @ T tauKhan . (So far also called lightpowershield, but I think Z-PS is better to avoid ambiguity. I’m open for term discussion, though.)

PS type→|Normal PS|ADT-PS|DAT-PS|Z-PS|ADT-Z-PS
PSP window after DP|1-2|1-2|1-2|1-2|1-2
PSA window after DP|1-4| 3-4 |1-4|1-4| 3-4
SP downtime after DP|none|none|none|none|none
SA downtime after DP|none| 1-2 |none|none| 1-2
PSS size|smallest| huge (initial PSP) | huge | huge | huge
PSS size increase at frame| never | never | 3 | 1 | 1
PSS size decrease at frame| never | 3 | never | never | never
PSA shield stun| lowest | lowest | highest | highest | highest

Normal powershield (N-PS) happens when you transition from one frame of not pressing L/R/Z at all to pressing L or R down to digital level at the next.

ADT-PS happens when you transition from analog shield to digital shield after the first frame of shielding. This usually happens when you don’t depress the shoulder triggers quickly enough and is, due to its drawbacks, an input you want to avoid in general. By either slightly depressing the triggers when plugging in your controller or resetting or modifying your controller physically, you can lower the analog distance you need to pass in less than one frame, which helps avoiding ADT-shields.

DAT-PS increases the range you can PSA from, but as described in the reddit thread, the benefit is only notable and feasible if you modify your controller and soft-modify the threshold for one of the triggers.

Z-PS drastically increases the frame window and range for both PSP and PSA. The Z input shield size (largest possible lightshield) takes priority over the L/R inputs when the game determines your shield size. At the same time, the DP is still required for activating the GuardReflect animation, and Z must be pressed on the very same frame. However, pressing Z will cause a grab unless the A input responsible for that is already active.
Thus, the necessary inputs for Z-PS are:
1. Keeping A pressed (can be done during wavedash lag, during the frames 1-3 of a dash that was not done out of turn if the stick is not held forward and during RunBrake , and these are just a few examples)
2. Pressing DP and Z at the same frame

ADT-Z-PS is a combination of ADT-PS and Z-PS in that you input analog shield with L or R light press on frame 1, followed by DP and Z on frame 2. Holding A is not necessary with this method.

PSS size increase (for DAT-PS and Z-PS) diagram:

This is Marth, by the way.
You powershield an attack when the first of your collision bubbles it connects with is the inner powershield sphere. The dramatic PSS size increase you can see above enables you to powershield any attack that would have, with normal PS, connected with one of your collision bubbles outside of the PSS. For Marth, this means that he can powershield attacks aiming at his feet or his head only with Z-PS, not with N-PS.

Powershield stun and knockback comparison

Incoming attack: Falco’s shine. Shielded by Marth with all kinds of shields. Pushback amounts are not correct and only approximations, see Magus420’s post.
Shield type|N-PS|Z-PS|Digital shield|Strongest analog shield|lightest analog shield|Z shield
Shield hitlag|5|5|5|5|5|5
Shield stun|5|11|5|5|11|11
Pushback|130|490|44|44|236|222
Pushback % of digital shield|295%|1114%|100%|100%|536%|504%
Visual pushback comparison:

Hitlag is counted as [iterations of GuardDamage 0 ].
Hitstun counts all frames of GuardDamage beyond that.
Pushback is not measured in in-game units as it should be, but in pixels from an arbitrary camera position (because I still can’t read Melee code, yadda yadda).

Applications
For PSA, you usually want to do an N-PS so that you receive the least amount of shield stun. If your N-PS does not protect against the incoming attack properly (due to small shield size from shield damage, for example), Z-PS and, to a lesser degree, DAT-PS are the safer choice.
For PSP, you do not receive any shield stun, so Z-PS is the most effective type of powershield for reflecting projectiles.
In most situations, Z-PS increases the frame window for reflecting a projectile by 1. Additionally, it enables you to PSP when you would not have been able to do so at all with N-PS.

Example 1: Z-PS against Falco’s highest short hop laser (SHL)
If Falco shoots a laser like this, he will not even hit Marth if he keeps standing:

In this situation, Marth’s best choice would easily be to dash towards Falco and jump-cancel grab (JC grab) him. However, I will use this to showcase how absurdly large the Z-PS PSS is—Falco’s lasers are very easy to place at a certain height and work well for demonstrating this.

If Marth tries to PSP this laser with N-PS, this happens:
http://gfycat.com/FilthyImperfectGarpike
(Slow these down or frame advance after pausing them with the controls at the bottom right.)
As you can see, the laser goes way above Marth’s shield.

With Z-PS, it works perfectly:
http://gfycat.com/CalmPoliticalConch

Example 2: Z-PS against Falco’s lowest SHL
Marth has a weird shield that doesn’t follow his body initially. This enables him to easily powershield lasers by crouching under them if they are being shot at medium height, but makes low lasers very hard for him to reflect.
See this comparison of his digital shield out of crouch with Falco’s:

Falco’s lowest SHLs are at the same height as a crouching Marth’s head. Most of the time, it is not even possible for Marth to N-PS these lasers from a crouch—they hit either his head or the outer shield ring before they can touch the inner powershield sphere.

Due to the high traveling speed of lasers, the distance between Marth and Falco determines the exact frame window for the powershield input. Why, you ask? Because PSP requires an incoming projectile to connect with your PSS before connecting with your outer shield ring or your hurtbox on the frames before. When the width of your hurtbox + your outer shield ring at a given laser height exceed the distance the laser moves in one frame, it is impossible to reflect it. If the sum of hurtbox width and outer ring width is 1/8th less than the laser’s Δx, it’s only possible in approximately every 8th case of random spacing to reflect it—and I’m assuming frame perfection here.

What are the practical implications of this, you ask? Simply put, Marth cannot expect to powershield low Falco lasers out of crouch by doing a normal powershield. Most of the time, it’s a 0-frame window.

Still, to cover those cases where Falco shoots higher lasers, crouching PS provides a strong benefit for Marth, so ideally he’d find a way to PS the lowest lasers as well. Which is precisely what Z-PS enables him to do.

This is what happens if Marth tries to N-PS from a crouch:
http://gfycat.com/PowerfulPeskyAchillestang

By going for Z-PS instead, the frame window for the PS input increases from 0 to 1:
http://gfycat.com/WelldocumentedHoarseDuiker

For reference, standing N-PS is a one-frame window as well:
http://gfycat.com/BoringImpureIndianpalmsquirrel

And standing Z-PS is a two-frame window:
http://gfycat.com/LeadingHandsomeBernesemountaindog

Note that there are a few imperfections in the Z-PS gfycats: the in-game frame counter is off by one or two frames and some inputs might be off by one frame. I had to transition from develop mode’s frame advance to Dolphin’s frame advance and back, and because of Dolphin’s two frames delay, it was hard working with that precisely.

Setups
Dash: during a dash that is not done from a dashdance, you can hold A during the first 4 frames (while having the control stick at a neutral position). This was found by @schmooblidon and is the fastest A buffer for Z-PS.
Wavedash: you can start holding A at any time of the 10 frames landing lag.

Follow-up posts
Magus on technical data and comparisons between shield types: http://smashboards.com/posts/18521148
On the shield stun and pushback stuff:

Variable Shield Input
Digital/Max Analog = 1

Z Shield = 0.35
Min Analog = 0.30714 (43/140)
Shield Stun = {[floor(Damage) * (Analog Effect + 0.3)] * 1.5} + 2
-- Analog Effect = 0.65 * {1 - [(Analog Shield - 0.3) / 0.7]}

--- Yoshi is unaffected by shield stun
--- NOTE: Due to the way the game calculates the animation speed for the 20 frame stun animation [(Animation Frames + 0.1) / ShieldStun], it causes the actual resulting stun time to be 1 less than calculated shieldstun if:
20.1 / ShieldStun * floor{ShieldStun} >= 20
On full 1.00 shield input that happens with damages of 20,29,40, 49, 58, and 60 for example.
Code:
80092DA0:  C084028C    lfs    f4,652(r4)    # f4=1.5
80092DA4:  EC421828    fsubs    f2,f2,f3    # f2=Damage (floored). last step of an int->float cast
80092DA8:  C0040290    lfs    f0,656(r4)    # f0=2
80092DAC:  807D0028    lwz    r3,40(r29)
80092DB0:  EC220072    fmuls    f1,f2,f1    # f1=0.3 on hard shield
80092DB4:  EFE4007A    fmadds    f31,f4,f1,f0
Code:
Analog  f1
-----------------
0.30714 0.943367
0.35    0.903571
0.50    0.764285
0.65    0.625
1.00    0.300

Defender Shield KB = {[floor(Damage) * (Defender Analog Effect + 0.09)] + 0.4} * X
-- Defender Analog Effect = 0.195 * {1 - [(Analog Shield - 0.3) / 0.7]}

-- X = 0.6 for Normal, 1 for Powershield
--- Maximum = 2
Defender (Yoshi) Shield KB = (floor(Damage) * Defender Analog Effect) + 0.4
-- Defender Analog Effect = 0.3 * {1 - [(Analog Shield - 0.3) / 0.7]}

--- Maximum = n/a
Attacker Shield KB = (floor(Damage) * Attacker Analog Effect) + 0.02
-- Attacker Analog Effect = (Analog Shield - 0.3) * 0.1]

--- Maximum = n/a
Min Shield (0.307143)
Code:
Damage  Defendr Attackr
-------------------------
01      0.40981 0.0207143
02      0.57961 0.0214286
03      0.74942 0.0221429
Defender Shield KB = (Damage * 0.169806) + 0.24
Attacker Shield KB = (Damage * 0.0007143) + 0.02

Z Shield (0.35)
Code:
Damage  Defendr Attackr
01      0.40264 0.025
02      0.56529 0.030
03      0.72793 0.035
04      0.89057 0.040
05      1.05321 0.045
Defender Shield KB = (Damage * 0.162644) + 0.24
Attacker Shield KB = (Damage * 0.005) + 0.02

Lightish Shield (0.50)
Code:
Damage  Defendr Attackr
01      0.37757 0.04
02      0.51514 0.06
03      0.65271 0.08
Defender Shield KB = (Damage * 0.137571) + 0.24
Attacker Shield KB = (Damage * 0.02) + 0.02

Half Shield (0.65)
Code:
Damage  Defendr Attackr
01      0.3525  0.055
02      0.4650  0.09
03      0.5775  0.125
Defender Shield KB = (Damage * 0.1125) + 0.24
Attacker Shield KB = (Damage * 0.035) + 0.02

Hard Shield (1.0)
Code:
Damage  Defendr Attackr
01      0.294   0.090
02      0.348   0.160
03      0.402   0.230
04      0.456   0.300
05      0.510   0.370
06      0.564   0.440
07      0.618   0.510
08      0.672   0.580
09      0.726   0.650
10      0.780   0.720
11      0.834   0.790
12      0.888   0.860
13      0.942   0.930
14      0.996   1.000
15      1.050   1.070
16      1.104   1.140
17      1.158   1.210
18      1.212   1.280
19      1.266   1.350
20      1.320   1.420
21      1.374   1.490
22      1.428   1.560
23      1.482   1.630
24      1.536   1.700
50      2.000   3.520
Defender Shield KB = (Damage * 0.054) + 0.24
Attacker Shield KB = (Damage * 0.07) + 0.02

Power Shield (1.0)
Code:
Damage  Defendr Attackr
01      0.490   0.090
02      0.580   0.160
03      0.670   0.230
04      0.760   0.300
05      0.850   0.370
06      0.940   0.440
07      1.030   0.510
08      1.120   0.580
09      1.210   0.650
10      1.300   0.720
11      1.390   0.790
12      1.480   0.860
13      1.570   0.930
14      1.660   1.000
15      1.750   1.070
16      1.840   1.140
17      1.930   1.210
18      2.000   1.280
19      2.000   1.350
20      2.000   1.420
21      2.000   1.490
22      2.000   1.560
23      2.000   1.630
24      2.000   1.700
50      2.000   3.520
Defender Shield KB = (Damage * 0.09) + 0.4

Yoshi (0.307143)
Code:
Damage  Defendr Attackr
01      0.69694 0.0207143
02      0.99388 0.0214286
03      1.29082 0.0221429
50      15.2469 0.0557142
Defender (Yoshi) Shield KB = (Damage * 0.296939) + 0.4
Attacker Shield KB = (Damage * 0.0007143) + 0.02

Yoshi (1.0)
Code:
Damage  Defendr Attackr
01      0.400   0.090
02      0.400   0.160
03      0.400   0.230
50      0.400   3.520
Defender (Yoshi) Shield KB = (Damage * 0) + 0.4

Please don't hate me, or do if you want.

And delete the comment if you want.

But does anyone know if it's possible to extend the Powershield window in Smash4 (trash4) ?

Kadano

Magical Express
Please don't hate me, or do if you want.

And delete the comment if you want.

But does anyone know if it's possible to extend the Powershield window in Smash4 (trash4) ?
I don't think anybody here in this thread / this subforum is interested in researching Smash 4 mechanics. I briefly did so about a year ago to find out how shield dropping works in Smash 4, so I visited an acquaintance who has a Smash 4 setup and tested it, and the game mechanics felt so unpleasant to me that my previous disliking of the game was only further strengthened.

Better ask people who actually focus on researching Smash 4, like the Beefy Smash Doods.

Popertop

Smash Champion
I'm looking for information on a knockback reduction technique (I forgot the name, or I would have found it through searching like a good boy) that was discovered recently (within the last two years)

I know that it works by airdodging just before being hit, before the invincibility of the airdodge is active

It reduces the knockback vector by ~5% (or so I had heard)

I've been calling it Vectoring, but you get lots and lots of extraneous results when you search with that keyword.

What I am looking for is the official name, as well as confirming what I have said here to be correct.

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
I'm looking for information on a knockback reduction technique (I forgot the name, or I would have found it through searching like a good boy) that was discovered recently (within the last two years)

I know that it works by airdodging just before being hit, before the invincibility of the airdodge is active

It reduces the knockback vector by ~5% (or so I had heard)

I've been calling it Vectoring, but you get lots and lots of extraneous results when you search with that keyword.

What I am looking for is the official name, as well as confirming what I have said here to be correct.
V-Canceling

Popertop

Smash Champion
Thanks DRGN!
Now I have more questions!

These states:
JumpF (first jump)
JumpB
JumpAerialF (second jump)
JumpAerialB
Fall
FallF
FallB
FallAerial
FallAerialF
FallAerialB
FallSpecial ("helpless" fall after up-b/airdodge)
FallSpecialF
FallSpecialB
DamageFall (tumble)
EscapeAir (airdodge)

I know what FallSpecial is, and DamageFall and EscapeAir are both labeled.

But what is the F,B after each of these indicating?

First and Second jump is easy enough, but these letters are confusing me.

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Thanks DRGN!
Now I have more questions!

These states:
JumpF (first jump)
JumpB
JumpAerialF (second jump)
JumpAerialB
Fall
FallF
FallB
FallAerial
FallAerialF
FallAerialB
FallSpecial ("helpless" fall after up-b/airdodge)
FallSpecialF
FallSpecialB
DamageFall (tumble)
EscapeAir (airdodge)

I know what FallSpecial is, and DamageFall and EscapeAir are both labeled.

But what is the F,B after each of these indicating?

First and Second jump is easy enough, but these letters are confusing me.
Forward and back.

Top Bottom