• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official and Potential Combos of the Ridders

Gleam

Smash Ace
In my goal to make our favorite Space Pirate the best, along with working on edgeguarding data (check my other topic for that) I've found some decent combos that the dragon. I don't know if these are common knowledge and if they are, my bad, but if not, some more information for you. I'm going to break these down into "official Combos" and "Potential Combos"

Official Combos are ones the game actually recognizes as combos when used in Training.
Potential Combos are ones that aren't recognized officially in the game but against human players can have some benefits.

OFFICIAL COMBOS

Official Combo #1:
Offstage Short Hop Fair Combo List
Short Hop-Fair+Short Hop-Fair (40-80%)
Short Hop-Fair+Nair (40-80%)

Official Combo #2:
Fireball Combo List
Fireball+Nair
Fireball+Tilts
Fireball+Grabs
Fireball+Side-B

Official Combo #3
Down Tilt Combo List
D-Tilt+Fair (0-100%)
D-Tilt+ Nair (0-100%)
D-Tilt+ Angled Up F-Tilt (0-20%)
D-Tilt+Bair (20-90%)
D-Tilt+Uair (30-110%)
D-Tilt+Usmash (20-50%)

Official Combo #4
U-Tilt Combo List
U-Tilt+Nair (15-50%)
U-Tilt+ Uair (30-110%)
U-Tilt+USmash (25-60%)

Official Combo #5
Nair Combo List
Nair+Jab/Grab/Dash Grab
Nair+D-Tilt+Fair (0-40%)

Official Combo #6
Reverse Aerial Rush (RAR) Nair Combo List
RAR Nair+F-Tilt (0-80%)
RAR Nair+F-Tilt Up (80-100%)
RAR Nair+Bair (30-105%)
RAR Nair+D-Tilt (0-100%)

Official Combo #7
D-Throw Combo List
D-Throw+Fair (0-90%)
D-Throw+Nair
D-Throw+Bair (25-80%)

Official Combo #8
Drag Down Fair Combo List
Drag Down Fair+Grab
Drag Down Fair+Jab

Official Combo #9
Landing Uair Combo List
Landing Uair+Usmash (0-30%)
Landing Uair+Fair (0-70%)
Landing Uair+Nair (0-90%)
Landing Uair+Bair (0-70%)
Landing Uair+Uair (0-100%)

POTENTIAL COMBOS

Potential Combo #1
Short-Hop F-air+Short-Hop F-air+Short-Hop N-air(at low damage)
With the overall speed and priority of F-air and Nair, while this isn't a true combo, it may prove useful in a battle.

Potential Combo #2
Triple Short-Hop F-air at 40% or higher.
This is a very risky one. Double Short-Hope F-air is considered a combo but the third one isn't. Once you've got the momentum down you can push someone right into the blast zone if you get this combo down. Unfortunately it means not being able to get back to the stage. Feeling ballsy? Try it out if you dare. EDIT: Apparently I lied, you can still make it back. Side-B+Up-B will get you back on stage. Goddamn Ridley you offstage monster![/SPOILER]

Potential Combo #3
Down throw+Skewer (Between 0-10%)
Not a true combo but relatively hard to read and relatively safe on usage even if it does fail.

That's all I really have right now as I've only currently tested these on Samus/Dark Samus and Rosalina but hope it comes in use for all of you. If you have any potential or official combos you know of, leave a message and I'll get them on the list.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
There was already another combo thread started here earlier, but I guess another one won't hurt, especially with the findings you've got here, which reminds me that I need to make more use of short hop & f-air.. All the other noteworthy stuff I found earlier I already posted in the other thread though. Down throw and sometimes even d-tilt are good combo starters too.

Gleam

Smash Ace
I feel like that topic just kind of stopped. It doesn't have to be this one but if discussion on Ridley's combos is to be done, I think a specific topic that will be regularly updated should be made. I can do it or someone else can but ultimately someone who will regularly update the first page whenever new information comes in.

Because right now, I feel information is coming in sporadically and there's not a place where it can all come together in an easy to read format.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Fair enough. I guess this thread would suffice/be better for updating regularly. Can just add/edit in some of the combos from the other thread in the OP sometime, or whatever other combo findings that come to mind.

Oh, since you brought it up in the other thread, I'll have to try d-throw + Skewer sometime soon and see how it works out (or doesn't).

edit: Hm.. I guess it can work on someone whose off guard and like doesn't react quick enough after getting d-thrown, but beyond that, I dunno at the moment.

Last edited:

Gleam

Smash Ace
That's fine, I wasn't expecting much out of the Down Thrown to Skewer but wanted to have it tested out. Would you be willing to provide a comprehensive list of the possible combos here? It'll be easier for me to pick them out instead of trying to search them out through the different posts, especially when I might accidentally miss out on one or two.

And if you can, could you break them into true combos and potential combos? I won't ask what characters they work on, just what the actual combos are. I'll get them edited on the first post ASAP.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well am happy with the results I got from d-throw + skewer nonetheless. Short-hop n-air into skewer works too but d-throw may be an easier alternative.

Hm... Well aside from what I posted in the other thread, I would have to search through different posts to come up with a full comprehensive list too, and not just posts on this forum but elsewhere too. Feel I would have to get back to you on that later at some point, and plus there still may be other combos he has not yet discovered/posted.

Gleam

Smash Ace
do you think Down Throw-Skewer is applicable enough to be safe even if it does fail? Of course that also depends on the character as well.

Take your time, the only thing I'd really need is a format like.

True Combo #1: Down throw to F-tilt (or whatever the combo might be. We'll figure out percentages and characters later.

And if possible break it down into a "True Combo" and "Potential Combo" to distinguish which ones are actual combos recognized by the game ad which oes are't but as I said, no rush. It'll be time consuming but I'll do some tests across the board to see any difference in combo potential across the rest of the characters.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
From what I've experienced so far in online quickplay, I think d-throw + skewer can be safe if it fails, but yeah, it depends on the character & situation.

Will keep that format in mind for the future.

This is kinda situational, but for now, I found that charged fireballs can actually true combo into a number of moves, including side B, dash attack, the tilts, grabbing, and last but not least, n-air.

A posted tweet example of fireballs combo'ing into side B.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:

Gleam

Smash Ace
I went and added the combos to the list. Some of them I personally couldn't get a true combo down but until otherwise stated, I've put them all under "True Combos"

Gleam

Smash Ace
Another thing, if somebody could, it would be nice to have a short video showing off each combo. Having video evidence to show off how each one is done, especially the more complex ones will be very helpful and there's not much I can do on that part right now.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I guess to repost some of what I had in the other combo thread, in addition to some things I didn't post earlier.

RAR n-air into dash attack that kills quick at a higher %.

D-throw bnb combos.

N-air into Skewer.

N-air, followed into d-tilt, and then f-air.

https://giant.gfycat.com/BestCorruptFritillarybutterfly.mp4

Using dash attack to follow into a combo at 0%.

Fast falling f-air into f-tilt which is disjointed.

A combo more reliable against bigger guys like Bowser, but n-air, weak skewer, d-tilt, f-smash.

D-tilt, n-air, f-smash.

Sco7t

Smash Rookie
Not 100% sure on this, and I'd love if someone could confirm or deny, but I'm pretty sure auto-cancelling a fair can combo into a jab, I find myself fairly reliably pulling it off, so long as the first two hits of your fair hit the enemy.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well if it can work with f-air and f-tilt, don’t see why it couldn’t work with a jab. Would have to test it next I’m on the game later to be sure though.

Don’t have a video of this combo, but down throw > n-air > down tilt > n-air > f-air is apparently a potent string available at low percents. Has tight timing to make its components a true combo or frame trap but it’s a great punish.

Also great at getting air dodges out of your opponent during the string, enabling a good opportunity to make a skewer setup.

Krimnorr

Smash Cadet
N-air into Skewer.
I may be missing something, but wouldn't this be impossible with the new jablock mechanic that allows players to preform more options than on-the-spot getup after the hit connects? Or does Skewer completely remove that?

I was watching a few more of them too, which also utilize jab locks. I don't think those are technically possible anymore either.

From what I've seen, the way jablocking works is that once you get someone on the ground, you can hit them twice with any weak attack, which stuns them. During this stun animation, you can punish with whatever you like; but in no case is the opponent forced into an on-the-spot getup. I may be wrong, and they may have changed this recently, but that is what I remember being the case. (sm4sh, on the other hand, is a different story.)

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I may be missing something, but wouldn't this be impossible with the new jablock mechanic that allows players to preform more options than on-the-spot getup after the hit connects? Or does Skewer completely remove that?

I was watching a few more of them too, which also utilize jab locks. I don't think those are technically possible anymore either.

From what I've seen, the way jablocking works is that once you get someone on the ground, you can hit them twice with any weak attack, which stuns them. During this stun animation, you can punish with whatever you like; but in no case is the opponent forced into an on-the-spot getup. I may be wrong, and they may have changed this recently, but that is what I remember being the case. (sm4sh, on the other hand, is a different story.)
I’m not actually sure myself, hence the late reply I guess. I know at least certain combos that can be done in training like d-throw > n-air three times in a row before they reach the ground aren’t really applicable to real-time matches, but the n-air > skewer one you were asking about I would say probably can be done but may not be a true combo per se, but works in certain situations depending on the matchup, like d-throw > skewer which I find more useful as a mixup.

Speaking of skewer, after someone gets downed by a critical hit, I would say one of the best tech chase options to hit them as they’re getting back up is forward up B/wing blitz. I think people have kinda learned better about rolling behind you after getting skewered now since that just gives you a free f-smash on them.

Oh, down smash covers the area pretty well after a skewer crit too. Derp.

Last edited:

Wakko

Smash Rookie
enable "stale moves" in training
you can frame trap in real match sometimes but it heavily relies on good spacing, and your oponent's skill

however neutral air into skewer never worked for me and I doubt it will connect in any realistic situation.
Sadly we got no true combo into skewer (meanwhile, jygglypuff) but we can still masturbate when we land a hard hard skewer readley.

ADYBE

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-8398-5678-1580
Is it a good idea to see if Ridley has combo without thinking if he is a combo character or more like a big attacks big damages character with little combos?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'll just leave this here.

S-bow64

Smash Cadet
You can roll getup after a jab lock, no exceptions. The CPUs in training will always normal getup tho, so that's not true at all.

Speaking of jab locks, if you happen to jab lock with Ridleys jab, only use Jab1 twice or only once and not Jab2. It has a slower recovery and prevent us to use F-smash as a "wake-up" follow-up while Jab1 allows that.

As for combos, D-throw to Nair allows differents follow-up at low % depending on if you manage to hit the sweetspot or sourspot.
After a sourspot you can actually go for a pivot grab (as in behind the opponent) as long as your opponent doesn't have (or mash) a frame 4 move or faster.
After a sweetspot it's better to go with a U-tilt but you still need to have accurate movement for that, D-tilt work too.

It can be useful to throw a Plasma ball after a Fair at low mid %, just in case the opponent fail to tech that could lead to a jab lock and if you're fast enough you can go for a F-smash or another Jab1.

Nice topic, be creative guys.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Realize it's been awhile since I posted here.

The last things I was labbing here and there was seeing how many moves RAR nair can combo into (though some of it has tight timing), a lot of which involves following up with turnaround attacks, but it's effective.

Half charged plasma breath (three fireballs) is also pretty good with how fast it happens, allowing for many combo followups.

This footstool one I saw earlier was interesting, but too tight for me to really pull off and definitely an untrue combo if I ever saw one, but still, it's creative.

And lastly, Vreyvus recently made a down throw > f-tilt chart.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1r80F4PRiuMdZBNDqza_g2yeYaYMdXTYYz4-yiHcF-mM/htmlview#gid=0

This combo setup was slept on at first for awhile, but doing high angled f-tilts just after d-throw is great for easy knockback and such.

edit: Oh yeah, one other thing I realized I forgot is falling u-air. With how high that can launch (sometimes kill) and even be used as a combo starter I guess, it's worth bringing up.

Of course at low %, you'll want to short hop (with the two jump buttons shortcut) u-air to reliably juggle with it after a u-throw or osme u-tilts, and then when they're at higher %, full or double jump u-air's, depending.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
For some more think outside the box combos...

D-tilt > u-air can be a good setup at higher percents.

This one's only on a battlefield stage variant with how it works with the platforms, but u-throw > down angled up B > f-smash. Unorthodox combo, but effective, though only expect it to work on the opponent maybe once during a match due to the timing that's required.

More common now, but d-throw > running up tilt > aerial stuff at varying percents.

edit: Something like d-throw > dash attack can be good for following into tech chase situations with someone using DI away.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
G Gleam I initially posted this in the social thread and figured not to bother reposting it here due to lack of activity, but since I guess things might get a bit more active again, with the buff news and all, please take a look at this combo document; it shows the best possible combos for Ridley on everyone with DI away. Of course, it'll be updated soon or later with a discovered combo or two on Hero, but still, gives you a whole new idea of his punish potential in regards to the whole cast.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1--zA_L0HV-y5DVKCCvr_hn4pHI9o5uSmUvR0elSDmTE/edit

My favorites were the ones on the Samus's and the one on Palutena which were the first I had practiced some. Definitely add/edit into the OP if nothing else.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Alright, so the combo doc has been updated with the u-tilt > u-air kill confirms on everyone, telling what percents for both the full hop and double jump versions, though in most cases you'll find yourself doing the double jump > u-air immediately after u-tilt. Just look for the red text on each character page.

The percents were determined for Final Destination and Pokemon Stadium 2 due to sharing the same distance between the stage and the top blastzone with FD. For like Battlefield, Town & City, and Kalos, u-tilt > u-air will start to kill the opponent +4-6% later than the listed percents. While u-tilt hits opponents on platforms, Ridley can't kill confirm off of said u-tilt as there is not enough frame advantage to do so, but if the opponent is slow to act, a u-tilt underneath a platform can still lead into a kill off of u-air.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1--zA_L0HV-y5DVKCCvr_hn4pHI9o5uSmUvR0elSDmTE/edit

Top Bottom