• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic South [October 3rd, 2015] Southern Discomfort 2 (Meridian, MS)

SakuraDragoon

Smash Rookie
Southern Discomfort 2 is a one day MFGC event where we'll host a tournament for Super Smash Bros. For WiiU and other fighting games as well.

Time: Register by 11am, Start at Noon!
Place: Holiday Inn
100 N Frontage Rd
Meridian, MS, 39305
Fee: $15 for venue, $10 for tournament entry
Payout: 60/30/10

Please bring your own controllers, all setups will have GC adapters available. Please check out our Facebook Page for more information: https://www.facebook.com/SouthernDiscomfortEvent

Smash is a pretty prominent game here, so there should be a lot of competition! We welcome one and all to participate and hope to see you there!

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
RULES FOR SOUTHERN DISCOMFORT 2
http://www.mediafire.com/view/ln81kdln8m3u7uu/SD2rules.pdf

So i'll be one of the guys behind the scenes helping this get off the ground. We've ran several smaller tournaments for other games, most of which give a pretty respectable turnout for our area. We can reliably get 16-20 Smashers from surrounding area's to our events, and we'd love to see a larger turnout. We know some of the area's that are pretty close to us in Alabama have some really healthy smash scenes, and would love to extend and invite to them as well!

We had good success with the first Southern Discomfort we ran, and we want this one to be even bigger!

I'll be getting the rules and stages finalized soon, and hope to have everything for smash posted up so things will be very clear by the time this rolls around.

Also if you play more than Smash, we'll have plenty of other games to enter!!

Last edited:

Basseidon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baaseidon
So you’re from out of town and not sure this will be worth it? Well let me help convince you it will be.
Is it organized?

As a person who has attended the first Southern Discomfort, no better yet, as someone who has entered previous smash tournaments long before SD1 and hosted by the same TOs, I’d like to share my experience. @ SakuraDragoon SakuraDragoon is the creator and official representative of most of these tournaments I experienced in the Meridian area, and @ dav3yb dav3yb is like the coordinator and operator of them. Maybe I am wrong on the exact roles they play but I do know they both have been running very organized and successful tournaments. They may not be professional smash players, but they are way more professional then most smash players / TOs I’ve seen. So if you’re worried about how structured and thought out this tournament is? Don’t be. These guys sacrifice a lot and put time into these tournaments to make sure it runs smoothly.

How many people are we talking about?

I don’t know, but I do know we have a ballroom to fill. SD1 had around 30 alone for Smash. This didn’t include the other fight game participants. This was also from little advertising and mainly just word of mouth. Last SD was a huge success, so I only would assume it will be much larger. We have a bigger venue, more support, and more experience. That’s the formula for a successful growth.

Well is this more of a local scene we are talking about?

Actually no, plain and simple. While I do believe the local scene is the backbone to this tournament, our local scene isn’t huge by any number, just mature and committed. SD1 had around 30 smashers as I stated earlier. I would also state that probably 90% of those were from out of town. In fact, this time I will be coming from out of town myself. We have good support from Meridian obviously, but we also have strong connections to Hattiesburg and Jackson. The Meridian Smash Crew is known there, but we get no special treatment. In fact you out of town folk, get the special treatment instead. Even though others from Meridian and me aren’t hosting the tournament, we do feel like it’s our responsibility to make sure those who drive, get their money and time’s worth. We’ve been there, and we have been neglected at out of town events. It’s no fun. So I assure you, you will be literally more than welcomed.

What about skill level?

Honestly its wide range of skills. If you’re new to the competitive smash scene, well this will be a good place to start. It has a big official feel to make you nervous and yet it’s not overwhelmingly big where you aren’t even noticed. If you’re already experienced, well this is the place to spread your name and legends of your greatness in the state!

Should I come?
YES! There all done, see you there.

Last edited:

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
I was pretty excited about this until I saw that the only smash tournament was the wii-u. Do you have any plans for expanding to other games such as Melee or PM in the future?

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
I was pretty excited about this until I saw that the only smash tournament was the wii-u. Do you have any plans for expanding to other games such as Melee or PM in the future?
We definitely hope to in the future. I think the main issue is setups in regards to CRT's, as well as wanting to cover the games we want to. I think after this particular event, we'll take a look at what was really popular in terms of entries, and try and keep those, and expand some of the existing lineup for future events. I know i'd love to see PM for sure, as its my personal favorite, as well as some teams events for smash games.

We will certainly have some casual setups available if we have the room and as long as it doesn't interfere with the rest of the tournament, but I know melee purists really prefer the CRT over LCD monitors, which i think most of us at this point, just don't have anymore. We could certainly ask people to bring setups, but we kind of feel that if we can't provide for it, we cant reliably count on it being there.

I know we have a lot of players in the surrounding area's that play the more traditional fighting games as well, and a lot of people have requested some of what we're going to be playing here. We also wanted to limit ourselves to 6 games this time (the last SD we did 3 games), mainly because we only have the venue for a full day, and we don't want to overextend on time too much, since it's kind of hard to predict how many players we'll be having (we had 40-50 for the first southern discomfort).

I hope this answers some of the concerns, and we really are going to want to host more games in the future. Please feel free to ask anything else about the event. We'd love to have some of the Alabama players show up (i suspect some of those who play regularly with the college crowd up there would have an advantage over a lot of others around here)

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
Yeah man you should definitely add Melee into the roster. There are a lot of players in MS, AL, and TN that would travel to an event like yours. If all you're worried about is setups then you shouldn't worry because Melee players always bring lots of CRTs.

I personally have 3 that I always bring the tournaments. Most people don't want them and they're very cheap right now so Melee players always stock up on them.

I host Melee/PM/Sm4sh tournaments down here and I never have problems with setups for Melee/PM. Sm4sh players however don't like to bring setups, but Melee/PM players always bring lots of setups.

Last edited:

Basseidon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baaseidon
Yeah man you should definitely add Melee into the roster. There are a lot of players in MS, AL, and TN that would travel to an event like yours. If all you're worried about is setups then you shouldn't worry because Melee players always bring lots of CRTs.

I personally have 3 that I always bring the tournaments. Most people don't want them and they're very cheap right now so Melee players always stock up on them.

I host Melee/PM/Sm4sh tournaments down here and I never have problems with setups for Melee/PM. Sm4sh players however don't like to bring setups, but Melee/PM players always bring lots of setups.
Sounds like yall have got Melee/PM covered then. Let Smash4 get some love. Seriously PM is my favorite smash and we have had good tourneys in the meridian area for it. However, SD2 has good reasons to include only one smash event. Running 6 games is already a good sized roster. SD is well organized and thought out in advanced. They will only run games they know they can handle professionally during this short time period.

I'm rooting for PM to make its SD debut but this is only the second installment and I love all smash. In fact if this tournament was about personal preference I think @ dav3yb dav3yb would be running all 5 of the smash series.However they are handling this tourney wisely and letting smash4, a smash game less than a year old, have its time of glory.

If you want Melee or PM to be at this event or future SD2 then just keep advocating for it. I doubt it will be at SD2 but who knows they may have a side tourney if time permits. I just would also recommend supporting this event. They value their participants and supporters opinions greatly.

Hope to see some South Mississippi Smash crew there!

Last edited:

Joku_Silver

Smash Rookie
NNID
Joku_9
Being someone who was at the last/first Southern Discomfort I’ll address some of the concerns that I and some friends had. I believe this is a good opportunity to expand the smash scene, even if the only smash event is currently Smash 4. I met a lot of cool, really good guys there who all would like to see Melee/PM implemented, but I think we all came to the conclusion that it was good to start building the Sm4sh scene, and the lack of PM or Melee didn’t make the event any less enjoyable for anyone. Not saying everyone should automatically agree, just sharing our thoughts after being there. I haven’t been to a ton of Smash tournaments, but I have been to a few for PM specifically. I was curious about how this would compare, and let me tell you that it was easily the most well put together and organized tournament I’ve been to. Believe me, it makes a difference when the TO’s attention isn’t split between playing and TO-ing. I definitely can understand the concern of only having Sm4sh, but not only is the tournament well organized because of the specific focus of one Smash title with so few workers, it also isn’t just a Smash tournament; it is a fighting game tournament.

All the games being run are Ultra Street Fighter 4, UMvC3, Sm4sh, MKX, Killer Instinct, and Persona 4 AU, and as far as I know there’s only a hand full of people running this event. I believe at the last tournament there were only 2, so personally I can understand why some things would be left out. Not to mention I’m entering in Sm4sh and MKX. I do hope to see it expand in the future, and I know the only way for that to happen is to support it now so that’s what I and a good bit of my friends plan to do. The more support that is there the more likely PM and Melee will be featured at a future event. Unless I’m mistaken, from what I heard from the creator SakuraDragoon at the last tournament he wants to run this Biannually, which leaves even more room for more Smash games, so I hope people see the potential and come out to support. I know I will. I had a really good experience last time, so I really look forward to coming to this one. This is all just personal experience though. I hope maybe I can alleviate anyone’s concern with whether or not they should bother coming.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman

I can certainly appreciate the smash community providing setups, especially for melee/pm. We're just sadly a bit too locked into the games list right now to feel comfortable adding any games at the moment. I'm not the head TO, but I'm pretty much 2nd in the line as far as administering goes, and I've been handling a lot of the smash stuff. There are a lot of new games out that people have asked about, and outside of Ultra SF4 and Marvel vs Capcom 3, i think everything being played has come out in the past year or two. There are a few games i would certainly cut personally if the decision was solely mine.

As I said earlier though, we will certainly have a better idea how things will run and how much more we can add, or what we need to take out for future events. We're trying to grow, not only the Smash Scene around here, but other FGC scenes as well, so we're taking small steps to hopefully avoid any unfavorable issues that might deter players from ever attending our events again. I can pretty much guarantee that this won't be the last one of these we do (especially if we at the very least break even on cost), and we will definitely have more smash games at future events. As of right now, however, were going to stick with what we know we can accommodate for, and what we've heard from some of the more immediate surrounding area's.

If this means a lower turn out because we dont have melee or pm, then that really sucks, and I'm sorry to anyone who would've otherwise liked to come support us. But keep and eye out in the future. We want to grow the scene around here a lot, and we'd love for anyone who's willing to come support us show up and Smash with us, but i certainly understand not being willing to travel too far out of town for just Smash 4.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
I've updated the 2nd post with the current rules for the event regarding smash.

SakuraDragoon

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, Southern Discomfort TO here and while a lot of things have already been addressed, I wanted to place my two cents in as well, so there's no confusion regarding the matter.

Despite my personal feelings about Smash 4/PM/Melee, I'm not against running more than one game for future events, however, I think for SD2, we have a solid number of games and I think Smash 4 isn't a bad game to let it have it's time in the sun. It's consistently getting updates, consistently getting characters AND it's not mechanically bad either. I understand that some of you are die hard Melee/PM people and I hear you loud and clear.

With that being said, @ Zylo Zylo and @ Roboturner Roboturner , I invite you to come anyway. We've placed a lot of time and effort into making this available for all parties involved. Show some support, bring some fellow smashers, play some Smash 4, and voice your opinions so that we can place more on the table in the future.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, Southern Discomfort TO here and while a lot of things have already been addressed, I wanted to place my two cents in as well, so there's no confusion regarding the matter.

Despite my personal feelings about Smash 4/PM/Melee, I'm not against running more than one game for future events, however, I think for SD2, we have a solid number of games and I think Smash 4 isn't a bad game to let it have it's time in the sun. It's consistently getting updates, consistently getting characters AND it's not mechanically bad either. I understand that some of you are die hard Melee/PM people and I hear you loud and clear.

With that being said, @ Zylo Zylo and @ Roboturner Roboturner , I invite you to come anyway. We've placed a lot of time and effort into making this available for all parties involved. Show some support, bring some fellow smashers, play some Smash 4, and voice your opinions so that we can place more on the table in the future.
I'm not saying this to be rude or abrasive, I'm just going to voice my thoughts on the matter. At least in Tuscaloosa, there is a clear stratification between the Smash 4 and the Melee/PM communities. Many of us (including myself) simply don't have an interest in going to an event that only offers Smash 4. This is not to say Smash 4 is a bad game, and I don't mean to discuss its merits or issues at all; I merely mean to say that our Smash community will likely not be involved in tournaments that exclusively offer Smash 4.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
I'm not saying this to be rude or abrasive, I'm just going to voice my thoughts on the matter. At least in Tuscaloosa, there is a clear stratification between the Smash 4 and the Melee/PM communities. Many of us (including myself) simply don't have an interest in going to an event that only offers Smash 4. This is not to say Smash 4 is a bad game, and I don't mean to discuss its merits or issues at all; I merely mean to say that our Smash community will likely not be involved in tournaments that exclusively offer Smash 4.
We can certainly understand not wanting to come for only smash 4, but the invitation is always open. We'll certainly be looking hard at what kind of entrants we have for all the various games we're running and adjust accordingly.

I do have one question for you, and the rest of the smash players in your area. Would you and other players from the area be more likely to show up if it was Smash 4 and ONLY PM? With no Melee? I personally would push harder for PM over Melee, at least as a "first in line" game for future events.

I know Melee can be popular, but also with 20XX dropping later in the year, It might be nice to hold off for it (because im certainly picking up a card for it).

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
We can certainly understand not wanting to come for only smash 4, but the invitation is always open. We'll certainly be looking hard at what kind of entrants we have for all the various games we're running and adjust accordingly.

I do have one question for you, and the rest of the smash players in your area. Would you and other players from the area be more likely to show up if it was Smash 4 and ONLY PM? With no Melee? I personally would push harder for PM over Melee, at least as a "first in line" game for future events.

I know Melee can be popular, but also with 20XX dropping later in the year, It might be nice to hold off for it (because im certainly picking up a card for it).
For a 20-30 man tournament an hour and a half away we would probably bring from 5-8 PM players if there were no scheduling conflicts. Of course, many of our PM players also enjoy Melee, but we certainly have people who would show up for a tournament that was only PM/PM and Smash 4.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
For a 20-30 man tournament an hour and a half away we would probably bring from 5-8 PM players if there were no scheduling conflicts. Of course, many of our PM players also enjoy Melee, but we certainly have people who would show up for a tournament that was only PM/PM and Smash 4.
Ok, good to know.

Is melee a bit more prominent in the area? or is it a "play one, play both" deal for most people?

Smash 4 is certainly the larger game in our area atm, that and a bit of PM, which is why i'd push for it over Melee to start.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
Nah, I wouldn't show up if it was just PM/smash 4. however if Melee was there I would enter both Melee/PM. PM isnt my main game so I wouldnt want to drive 2 and half hours for just PM, but I would drive 2 and half hours in a heartbeat for both in my home state

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Ok, good to know.

Is melee a bit more prominent in the area? or is it a "play one, play both" deal for most people?

Smash 4 is certainly the larger game in our area atm, that and a bit of PM, which is why i'd push for it over Melee to start.
There is a clear divide between the melee and the PM players in our area, but despite this many of them enter the other game and still play it in friendlies. I'd say we lean slightly more towards melee, but it's fairly nominal.

Basseidon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baaseidon
Well before I would drive, I'd make sure it's a good quality smash tournament despite the game. I do have plenty of other things going on in life, so I can understand not driving for a game you don't care about. But for me, Melee had had its time. It's fun and all but it's no going to change any. While PM and Smash 4 are ever evolving.

Besides this is going to be a big a event in the Mississippi Smash scene. Great company and lots of fun, so I know I'm not going to miss out. Working on getting a group up north to come down.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
If we are just referring to just Mississippi, then no smash game has really had it's time, since this state has been fairly dead for all games in competitive smash. Not having melee just because you think it's had it's "time" is silly considering it isn't that much of a hassle to run all games. I run every smash title (64, Melee, PM, and Sm4sh) and I don't really have any trouble.

I don't particularly care for any smash game other than Melee but I still run those games because I know there are players here that only play a certain smash game, yet we are all one big Smash family

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
If we are just referring to just Mississippi, then no smash game has really had it's time, since this state has been fairly dead for all games in competitive smash. Not having melee just because you think it's had it's "time" is silly considering it isn't that much of a hassle to run all games. I run every smash title (64, Melee, PM, and Sm4sh) and I don't really have any trouble.

I don't particularly care for any smash game other than Melee but I still run those games because I know there are players here that only play a certain smash game, yet we are all one big Smash family
True, it's not difficult to run more games, but we're already running Smash 4 + five other games, so we're not wanting to get overwhelmed. All I can say is continue to stay tuned for more smash titles at future events. My personal hope is that we drop the 2 less entered events in favor of either more smash events (teams), or addition smash games.

Basseidon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baaseidon
True, it's not difficult to run more games, but we're already running Smash 4 + five other games, so we're not wanting to get overwhelmed. All I can say is continue to stay tuned for more smash titles at future events. My personal hope is that we drop the 2 less entered events in favor of either more smash events (teams), or addition smash games.
I still don't get why this conversation is continuing. Just for the record this isn't a smash only event or a monthly. It's a high quality fighting game tournament with a dedicated smash following. I can't convince anyone to play smash 4. If Melee / pm is offered down the road great! I'd love to see you there. But for now don't think this is some monthly event that they can slap together. 6 games are being run during one day with a big crowd anticipated. They may could throw in something on the side for Melee or pm but I don't think it's to wise for them to focus on adding another main smash event when it already has a strong presence. In due time yes, but this tournament represents many games.

SakuraDragoon

Smash Rookie
Sorry guys.

It's already been covered here, but to re-iterate, it's not just a Smash only thing where I could feasibly run 2-3 other smash games including the 5 other games that SD is running and expect it to go over well. I could give smash 2 games and it's possible for the future, but then I'd open it to other series of games as well. I opened up the floor to smash and Wii-U was the decision. It's fresh and brings a good bit of newcomers to the smash scene as well. Having Smash 4 was better than having zero smash at all.

If there is a next year, we'll see how things look for the Smash crew then, but for now, Smash 4 is the sole smash game at SD2. If that discourages you from showing up, my apologies, and we hope to see you on the next rodeo.

Cursed Yoma

Smash Journeyman
will there be multiple set ups for friendly/tournament? i don't have smash 4 but i went to a local gamestop tourney for it a while back just because and got wrecked *obviously*. but i play alot of melee and some PM/64 but they only offered one set up so there was no room for friendlies. since i don't own the game that'd be where i'd have the most pleasure coming to an event like this. i could understand if all stations get bracket priority.
so basically, will there be time/space for friendlies or have one/two main set ups?

Basseidon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baaseidon
Just a quote from the SD facebook page to answer you question @ Cursed Yoma Cursed Yoma

I've also been asked about Side Tournaments and setups. My stance on it is this: I don't have a issue with the side tournaments/setups as long as they do not interfere with the main tournaments. Casual play is fine as long as we're not calling matches for that game. I think someone expressed Tekken, GGXrd and Melee these past couple of days, so let me know if you have a interest in running a side tournament.
I obviously recommend coming and we can guarantee you some fun. Its a short drive for you too! :seuss:

The facebook page can be found here.

Top Bottom