• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

October 19th Sudden Death XIV: Scio Logos (Prog's return!) - October 19th, 2013 - Bklyn, NY

D1

Banned via Administration
Explain it in the thread Reno! I'll be down if we can get people voicing their interest in your new idea. I'll post the facebook event now.

R3N0

Smash Lord
Guys, after speaking with D1, this is the tournament we're going to be testing out "Mentor Doubles"

This means that as a pro player (you know who you are) DO NOT pick another pro player as your teammate!

Enter with someone who is relatively new- or new-ish that hasn't regularly placed top 5-8 in teams.

We want to mentor a new generation of teams players. Right now our teams tournament is abysmal! Always the same 5 teams out of 6 that enter.

This promotes a bit more competition, and helps community growth. Plus we get to know the new guys a bit more.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Who would i team with in doubles? I dont normally play doubles and am not very good at it, but i am not a new player

:phone:

R3N0

Smash Lord
^ Because of this, if you came, i'm sure you can go up to any pro and be like lets team. I think that's fair since you usually don't enter teams, even though you aren't a new player.. you have teams-inexperience.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
Guys, after speaking with D1, this is the tournament we're going to be testing out "Mentor Doubles"

This means that as a pro player (you know who you are) DO NOT pick another pro player as your teammate!

Enter with someone who is relatively new- or new-ish that hasn't regularly placed top 5-8 in teams.

We want to mentor a new generation of teams players. Right now our teams tournament is abysmal! Always the same 5 teams out of 6 that enter.

This promotes a bit more competition, and helps community growth. Plus we get to know the new guys a bit more.
just dropping by and I read this post.

reno, would it be alright if I adopt this idea and spread it through Texas?

R3N0

Smash Lord
just dropping by and I read this post.

reno, would it be alright if I adopt this idea and spread it through Texas?
Dude, it would be my pleasure! Do it!!!

edit: also I will be on Scar's Melee It On Me later tonight to discuss it further if you want to tune in.. at around 7:30 PST.

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
I am definietley going to this!!!

Edit: i also love the mentor doubles idea! It would be great for me, a 13 year old luigi player, to learn some skills!

clowsui

Smash Legend
Are you guys up to test 3s6m or 4s/6or7m in any way? Mr wizard doesn't wanna do 4 stock 8 min for Evo but a lot of ppl are saying that 4s won't make q difference. If that's the case we need data. This would be awesome to try for pools! See if the variance increases or not and also see if more or less timeouts occur

JKJ

Smash Ace
omg I NEED TO GO TO THIS
ugh i have my license on the 20th....right now all I have is my Junior license otherwise I could come into the city
Im gonna try to figure something out.
I'd love to enter Mentor Doubles with a Pro! I'm pretty new (only been around for a year+) and I'd love to get the opportunity to learn teams concepts!
Ill post to update when I figure stuff out.

URGENT:
Do they have time crisis in the arcade?

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
will be attendiing. I dunno where I fall in the teams tourney as I'm pretty *** at the moment since I just started playing again but it should def be fun.

p.s. hope you don't mean your teaming with hax otg. sorta killing the whole point of the idea don't you think?

Are you guys up to test 3s6m or 4s/6or7m in any way? Mr wizard doesn't wanna do 4 stock 8 min for Evo but a lot of ppl are saying that 4s won't make q difference. If that's the case we need data. This would be awesome to try for pools! See if the variance increases or not and also see if more or less timeouts occur

:urg: here we go with the changing rules. Melee matches rarely go to time so I don't see a problem with 7 minutes.

I feel like the only exceptions to this are armada / hbox / and m2k because of veeeeeery campy styles but still

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
Who would i team with in doubles? I dont normally play doubles and am not very good at it, but i am not a new player

Lmao nm didnt see progs post.

Edit: see the fact that people refuse to come bc they want money / refuse to help others is a big problem i have. Why should anyone be a pot monster for that kinda douchebaggery, might as well just do venue and friendlies all day. Japan doesnt even have cash tourneys and they're still competitive.

smashny

Smash Rookie
Hey me and my friend are really looking forward to this Sat...couple questions though. What time does Singles start? Should we get there exactly at noon? Also there is a huge snow storm coming, if its really bad will we reschedule?

Max?

Smash Champion
Yo honestly, if we're doing the teams mentor thing, I don't think I'm gonna come. I want that free money.

Knut

Smash Apprentice
definitely gonna come out for this if we don't get snowed in.
the doubles thing sounds interesting.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I think this is being canceled. Still waiting on official word from D1.

D1

Banned via Administration
See everyone the 16th of March! We're finally back since last year! Spread the word!

Top Bottom