• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Octane drives into Smash! (Support Thread for Rocket League)

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Note: This is my first time doing a support thread. (So don't be hard on me.)
Octane for Smash.jpg

What is Rocket League?
Rocket League is a vehicular soccer video game developed and published by Psyonix. The game was first released for Microsoft Windows and PlayStation 4 in July 2015, with ports for Xbox One and Nintendo Switch being released later on. In June 2016, 505 Games began distributing a physical retail version for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment taking over those duties by the end of 2017. Ports were also made for macOS and Linux personal computers in 2016, but as of March 2020, these platforms will no longer be supported for the online features in the game.

Described as "soccer, but with rocket-powered cars", Rocket League has up to four players assigned to each of the two teams, using rocket-powered vehicles to hit a ball into their opponent's goal and score points over the course of a match. The game includes single-player and multiplayer modes which can be played both locally and online, including cross-platform play between all versions. Later updates for the game enabled the ability to modify core rules and added new game modes, including ones based on ice hockey and basketball.

Rocket League is a sequel to Psyonix's Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars, a 2008 video game for the PlayStation 3. Battle-Cars received mixed reviews and was not a major success, but gained a loyal fan base. Psyonix continued to support themselves through contract development work for other studios while looking to develop a sequel. Psyonix began formal development of Rocket League around 2013, refining the gameplay from Battle-Cars to address criticism and fan input. Psyonix also recognized their lack of marketing from Battle-Cars, and engaged in both social media and promotions, including offering the game for free for PlayStation Plus members on release, to market the game.

"Are you out of your mind... A car in Smash!?"
You know, we had weird and WTF fighters in Smash like Wii Fit Trainer, R.OB, Duck Hunt Duo and now Piranha Plant, surely I think a car in Smash wouldn't hurt and could be hilarious to see on the roster.

"But there's no move set potential!"
To be fair, Sakurai has made movesets for characters like Captain Falcon, Fox, Pac-Man, Villager and others including Game and Watch.
(He had trouble doing one for Heihachi who was cut during Smash 4's development.)

Octane's Moveset
Jabs and Tilts
Jab and Rapid: Octane lifts it's front tires and brings them down again in a quick, two hit jab that slightly pulls it's opponent in.

U-Tilt: Octane does a quick stoppie, striking the opponent above with it's spoiler.

F-Tilt: Octane spins in place, hitting it's opponent with it's rear wheels.

D-Tilt: Octane quickly accelerates while low to the ground, kicking up sparks and having a chance to trip it's opponent.

Dash Attack: Octane drifts sideways hitting it's opponent.

Getup Attack: Octane flips over and smashes the ground with it's wheels. If on edge, Octane climbs up before ramming into it's opponent.

Smash Attacks
U-Smash: Octane does an upward kick with the Boot.

S-Smash: Octane rams into it's opponent while boosting.

D-Smash: Octane does some donuts.

Aerials
N-Air: Octane does a 360 spin.

F-Air: Octane uses the Haymaker.

B-Air: Octane uses it's boost do slightly propel itself forward, hitting opponents with and explosion from behind.

U-Air: Octane shoots the Tornado upwards.

D-Air: Octane spikes downwards with the Spike.

Grabs and Throws
Grab: Octane grabs it's opponent with the Plunger.

Pummel: Octane bops it's opponent with it's antenna.

F-Throw: Octane rams into it's opponent, sending them flying.

B-Throw: Octane spins around, releasing it's opponent backwards.

U-Throw: Octane rears up, sending it's opponent into the air with the Tornado.

D-Throw: Octane runs over it's opponent, spending a few moments spinning it's wheels over them before spitting them out slightly behind it.

Specials
Neutral Special
Thermal_blue_trail_animated.gif

Boost
Right. Bare with me. One interesting thing about this fighter is that this actually works as a recovery tool. When you lean forward in the air the car will face slightly upwards (And leaning backwards will make it face downwards slightly) And using boost will make you fly upwards as long as you also move him forwards. The boost itself works like ROB's laser. It depletes but recharges again over time. (Don't worry. You don't have to worry about picking up boost like you do in Rocket League lol)

Side Special
Rumble_Grappling_Hook_preview.gif

Grappling Hook
Another recovery. Works just like a tether. This has incredible range and slight homing properties. When you use and it hits a ledge it will retract and you will be brought to it. However, this is not only for recovery. It can also be for used offensively. You can follow up combos will this while they're being launched as it brings you to them and will not stop until you hit them. (Unless they've been launched off the screen of course)
This also works on items. Imagine 8 cars all grappled to the same Smash Ball!

Up Special
Rumble_Swapper_preview.gif

Swapper
Yet again another recovery. This guy has 3 recoveries, all of which work in different ways. However, this one does have very good range. What it does is swap your position quickly with the closest opponent if they are in range. You don't need me to tell you that this would make this fighter a NOTORIOUSLY annoying one. However, it does put you into freefall, so use it carefully.

Down Special
Rumble_Magnetizer_preview.gif

Magnetizer
Once activated, it will pull items towards it. However it only lasts for around the same amount of time as Rosalina's. This does work against offensive projectiles as well, but it only make them come into you closer and then fall onto the ground in front of you - neutralised. Some of which can be picked up (Pacman's fruit) and others can not and will vanish (Mario's fireball)

Final Smash
Rumble_logo.png

Rumble Mode

Octane revs up with smoke coming out of the wheels before ramming into an opponent sending them to a cut-scene where it cuts to the stadium as Octane rams into the opponent sending them flying into the air as Merc punches them with Haymaker sending the opponent to Backfire using Grappling Hook to Paladin using Power Hitter to Road Hog using The Boot to Breakout using Freezer to Gizmo using Spike to Hotshot using Plunger to Venom using Disruptor to X-Devil using Magnetizer to lastly, Nemesis using Tornado sending the opponent into the air even more as the 11 Battle Cars ram into them all at once as said opponent goes into the goal thus ending the Final Smash as they go flying to the blast zone.

Idle Animations
1. Octane wiggles it's wheels left and right as it stays on the ground.

2. Octane gets up on it's back wheels balancing a bit before dropping on the ground.

Taunts
1. Octane does a lazy donut followed by a backflip, sounding an airhorn.

2. Octane turns more towards the camera, flashes it's headlights and chirps.

3. Octane revs in place hard, kicking up dust and roaring it's engine monstrously.

Victory Poses
1. Octane hits a ball into an off-screen goal. We hear the classic goal sound accompanied by the goal explosion, freeze frame on Octane doing a backflip, ends on Octane falling on it's roof and trying to get up moving like an upside-down turtle wiggling it's wheels.

2. Octane is boosting along the ground incredibly fast. Just as we hear the sound barrier break effect from reaching top speed in Rocket League, Octane jumps upwards and lands gracefully, skidding along the ground in a drift.

3. Octane is seen with the cars (from said Final Smash) fighting over the ball itself with the Rumble Mode power-ups. (This will go on endlessly.)

Stage Entrance
Octane is seen balancing on top of a ball before jumping off.

Boxing Ring Title
"The Soccer Playing Automobile"

And thank you for reading this. (I know there wasn't not much, but hey I tried my best.)

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
This would be one of the funniest inclusions in Smash if it ever happened. But we need a taunt/victory pose where Octane turns its booster to the camera and lets loose a stream of boost in your face. I do that every time I win a game.

(With the white portal gel, of course.)

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
This would be one of the funniest inclusions in Smash if it ever happened. But we need a taunt/victory pose where Octane turns its booster to the camera and lets loose a stream of boost in your face. I do that every time I win a game.
Thanks, also would you like to be added to the Support list?

Top Bottom