• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Oct 4-5, 2014] The Big House 4: feat. Mango, Armada, Mew2King, Hungrybox, Prof Pro (Romulus, MI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium

The Big House 4
A National Melee and Project M Tournament
October 4-5, 2014
Romulus, MI

UPDATE 10/2/14: umsmash.com temporarily down:
http://meleeiton.me/2014/10/02/the-big-house-4-umsmash-com-temporarily-down/
Pool Assignments:
http://tbh4.challonge.com/

Tournament Format and FAQ:
http://meleeiton.me/2014/10/02/tournament-format-and-faq/

Tournament Schedule and FAQ:
http://meleeiton.me/2014/10/02/tournament-schedule-and-faq/

Equipment Guidelines and FAQ:
http://meleeiton.me/2014/10/02/equipment-guidelines-and-faq/

- INTRODUCTION -

The Big House 4 is coming to Michigan this October, and it's going to be the best grassroots Smash major of the year.

Why should you attend?

* Amazing venue – hotel ballroom with space for 500+ attendees, 100+ setups, and multiple projectors
* Travel convenience – free 24/7 shuttle between the hotel and DTW airport, and free parking on-site
* Great TO staff – an established reputation for being extremely well-organized and well-executed
* Player experience – round robin pools that guarantee players triple the usual competitive playing time
* Spectator experience – plenty of friendlies, exhibitions, and main stage viewing for spectators all weekend
* Big spotlight – professional livestream broadcasts by VGBootCamp, TourneyLocator, and MeleeMilwaukee
* Storied history – past attendance that has included Mango, Hungrybox, PPMD, Mew2King, and more
* Michigan community – one of the biggest and most active Smash scenes in the United States

History

The Big House
The Big House
October 22, 2011
Melee (115 entrants)
1: Lovage
2: S2J
3: VaNz
4: KirbyKaze

The Big House 2
The Big House 2
October 6-7, 2012
Melee (128 entrants)
1: Mango
2: Hungrybox
3: Fly Amanita
4: SFAT
Project M (32 entrants)
1: metroid1117
2: Mango
3: Hungrybox
4: Nintendude

The Big House 3
The Big House 3
October 12-13, 2013
Melee (172 entrants)
1: CT EMP Mew2King
2: CT Hungrybox
3: VGBC Dr. PeePee
4: SFAT
Project M (90 entrants)
1: Kirk
2: PikaChad
3: VaNz
4: CT EMP Mew2King

- LOCATION -

Sheraton DTW Hotel
8000 S. Merriman Road
Romulus, Michigan 48174

Fourth Big House, fourth new venue. The amazing Sheraton DTW Hotel will be our venue for this event, and here are a few reasons why:

* 8000 square feet of ballroom space (over twice as much as TBH3). That's enough room for 500+ attendees and 100+ setups. You heard that right.

* Located mere minutes from the Detroit Metro Airport in Romulus, MI. Free shuttle that runs 24/7 between the airport and hotel. You can get to the venue literally 10 minutes after you land from your flight.

* Discounted hotel room rate block for Smashers. You'll definitely want to stay inside the venue for the true national Smash tournament experience.

Travel:
IF YOU ARE DRIVING IN:

Parking is free right in front of the hotel. 10-second walk into the venue!

IF YOU ARE FLYING IN:

The airport to fly into is Detroit Metro Airport (DTW) which is just 2 miles away from the venue. You are responsible for arranging your own transportation from the airport to the Sheraton. Luckily, doing this is very easy:

Call the hotel’s complimentary shuttle service at (734) 729-2600 ext. 0 and be ready to provide your name, airline, and terminal (McNamara or North). From there, the staff will take care of you! Go to the hotel shuttles area of ground transportation and look for a burnt orange Sheraton shuttle.

The shuttle is free and runs 24/7, every 20 minutes, between the Sheraton Hotel and DTW airport. Amazing deal! Everyone should be able to travel independently to and from the tournament!

Housing:
The Sheraton DTW Hotel is your best housing option in order to stay inside the venue and connect with other Smashers at the special TBH4 room rate of $99/night. This is a big discount from their usual rate, and an especially great deal considering the quality of the rooms and convenience of staying inside the venue.

UPDATE 9/1/14: Discounted hotel rooms at the venue are now sold out. You have two options at this point:
1) Book a room at the venue at their normal, higher rate of $129/night (note that this option is pre-paid): http://sheratondetroitmetroairport.com/
2) Stay at the Fairfield right next door to the venue at $99/night (this hotel is easily within walking distance): http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/dtwfr-fairfield-inn-and-suites-detroit-metro-airport-romulus/

If you absolutely cannot afford to pay for traditional housing, try CouchSurfing to stay with a Michigan local for the weekend. It might sound creepy, but I personally know people who have used CouchSurfing before and they’ve had a good experience with it. Keep an open mind, as there will be little to no free housing available from Smashers in the area.

Food:
Inside the hotel (2-minute walk from the ballroom)
Connections Bar: 11am-midnight
Cultivate Restaurant: 7am-11am breakfast, 6pm-10pm dinner

Around the block (5-minute walk outside the venue)
McDonald’s
Big Boy

Around the area (5-minute drive outside the venue):
Subway
Merriman Street Grill & Bar

- REGISTRATION -

Online registration is mandatory for all attendees, whether player or spectator.

Registration is closed! Look for an email with announcements soon!

Registrations are not refundable or transferable, and once submitted, cannot be changed with the exception of changing a teammate if you registered for doubles. Please keep this in mind before proceeding.

Events:
Melee Singles - round robin pools into a double-elimination bracket
Project M Singles - round robin pools into a double-elimination bracket
Melee Doubles - straight double-elimination bracket
Project M Doubles - straight double-elimination bracket

Key Dates:
July 15: Registration Opens
August 15: Venue Fee increases
September 15: Venue Fee increases
September 20: Hotel Booking Deadline *sold out*
September 20: Tournament Registration Deadline

- SCHEDULE -

Check-In and Check-Out Schedule:
Friday, October 3 (optional)
9pm-12am Check-In Available

Saturday, October 4
9am-5pm Check-In Available

Sunday, October 5
7pm-10pm Check-Out Available

Tournament Schedule:
Friday, October 3 (optional)
9pm Venue Opens
10pm Melee It On Me podcast
12am Venue Closes

Saturday, October 4
9am Venue Opens
11am Phase 1 begins
8pm Phase 2 begins
12am Venue Closes

Sunday, October 5
9am Venue Opens
10am Phase 3 begins
4pm Phase 4 begins
10pm Tournament Ends

The TO staff will run multiple waves per event on Saturday such that players entering both Melee and Project M have no schedule conflicts.

Phases:
Saturday, October 4
Phase 1
11am Wave A (all events run concurrently)
1pm Wave B (all events run concurrently)
3pm Wave C (all events run concurrently)
5pm Wave D (all events run concurrently)
Phase 2
8pm Wave E (Melee Singles Top 192, PM Singles Top 192)
10pm Wave F (Melee Singles Top 192, PM Singles Top 192)

Sunday, October 5
Phase 3
10am Melee Doubles Top 16, PM Singles Top 32
1pm Melee Singles Top 32, PM Doubles Top 8
Phase 4
4pm PM Singles Top 8
7pm Melee Singles Top 8

Stream Schedule:

Commentary Schedule:

- RULES -

Melee Ruleset:

* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer.
* Items OFF.
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Master Hand is banned.
* Wobbling is banned.
* Stalling with Jigglypuff’s Rising Pound or Peach’s Wall Bomber is banned.
* Glitches such as Ice Climbers’s Freeze Glitch and Mewtwo’s Soul Stunner are banned.
* Dave’s Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick any stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.

Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in “1221″ fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes two stages.
3. First player strikes one stage.

Stagelist:

Neutral (Singles)
Battlefield
Yoshi’s Story
Dream Land
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpick (Singles)
Pokemon Stadium

Neutral (Doubles)
Battlefield
Yoshi’s Story
Dream Land
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpick (Doubles)
Kongo Jungle 64

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban (except in best-of-5 sets)
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

Project M Ruleset:
* 3 stock, 8:00 minute timer.
* All items set to OFF and item frequency set to NONE.
* Input Assist set to OFF.
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Dave’s Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick any stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* The TO staff reserves the right to change rulesets accordingly in the event of a new release at least two weeks before the tournament.

Stage Strike from Starters for the first match of the set in “1221″ fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes two stages.
3. First player strikes one stage

Stagelist:

Starter
Battlefield
Dreamland
Green Hill Zone
Pokémon Stadium 2
Smashville

Counterpick
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Lylat Cruise
Skyworld
Wario Ware, Inc.
Yoshi's Island: Brawl

After each match:
1. Winner announces two (2) stage bans
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

Additional Rules:
* Player’s Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
* Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes.
* Neutral Spawn Points: Players may elect to use neutral spawn points to decide controller ports for the first match in case of any disputes.
* Glitches: Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

Doubles-Specific Rules:
* Life stealing is allowed
* Friendly Fire is turned ON
* Pause is turned OFF

Placings in Singles Pools are determined based on:
1. number of sets won
2. winning percentage in games (win/loss ratio)
3. head-to-head winner

In the event of an X-way tie in Singles Pools after all tiebreakers are exhausted, a best-of-1 round robin will be played out between the X players until there is a clear order of placings.

Code of Conduct:
* All ejections or disqualifications due to violations of the Code of Conduct or individual game rules will be without refund.
* No food or drink inside the venue per building event policy. Finish your meals outside or elsewhere in the building during the weekend.
* No alcohol or illegal substances inside the venue. Getting caught with these items or evidence of the presence of these items will result in disqualification from the event and eviction from the venue.
* No fighting or weaponry inside the venue. Throwing controllers or acting in a way that could pose a danger to other players will result in disqualification from the event and eviction from the venue.
* No refusal to play on certain setups barring extreme circumstances. All players agree to have their matches recorded if requested by the TO.
* No coaching in-game or between games of a set. The TO reserves the right to disqualify players for either coaching or receiving in-game coaching during a set.
* All disqualifications due to tardiness will be complete DQs, meaning the disqualified player will be removed from both winners and losers bracket, or removed from the entire event if late for a pools match.
* The TO is granted license to use any and all types of video that you may be present in at the event, including camera recordings, livestream broadcasts, and captured gameplay footage.
* The TO is granted license to photograph your image, likeness, or depiction at the event, and you waive any claim for compensation for the event’s use or publication of photographs taken of you.
* The TO reserves the right to deny entry into the tournament to any player suspected of committing anything considered a crime or acting in a manner that is detrimental to the integrity of the event.
* The TO reserves the right to deny payout from event winnings to any player suspected of intentionally throwing a match, splitting a payout, or committing any other form of bracket manipulation.
* The TO reserves the right to settle any unforeseen situations that may occur, and his judgment is final. In extreme situations, rules may be altered between phases of a tournament in the best interests of the event.

Payout:
For each event,

If fewer than 100 entrants:
1st place: 50%
2nd place: 25%
3rd place: 15%
4th place: 10%

If between 101-200 entrants:
1st place: 45%
2nd place: 20%
5th place: 5% each

If more than 200 entrants:
1st place: 40%
2nd place: 20%
5th place: 5% each
7th place: 2.5% each

- SPONSORS -

Let the hype begin! :)

Last edited:

Tomacawk

Smash Master
First page, and I'll be here boys. find me for money matches

question:
you may not have this info yet, but entry fee will be $15 I assume? How much for a venue fee? I'm as poor as ever and I'm scared I will have to drop a hundred or more to make it here :(

Last edited:

ShinsuYavi

D-Tier Melee Rookie
TBA TBA TBA
Hehe, still too early for such information, but regardless, the Big House tournament is building quite the fantastic history. I cannot wait for the opportunity to participate in such a renowned tournament, especially after attending Super SWEET and by then, having attended EVO 2014.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
First page, and I'll be here boys. find me for money matches

question:
you may not have this info yet, but entry fee will be $15 I assume? How much for a venue fee? I'm as poor as ever and I'm scared I will have to drop a hundred or more to make it here :(
I'm gonna be honest, if a few extra bucks is a dealbreaker for your attendance, then this tournament probably isn't for you. Entry fee and venue fee won't be unreasonably expensive, but it also won't be cheap. You can expect to pay a little more than a typical Smash national and about the same as a typical FGC major. We are going really big with the venue and scope of this event, and trust me, the quality of your tournament experience will reflect that. Just don't expect it to come for dirt cheap.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I'm gonna be honest, if a few extra bucks is a dealbreaker for your attendance, then this tournament probably isn't for you. Entry fee and venue fee won't be unreasonably expensive, but it also won't be cheap. You can expect to pay a little more than a typical Smash national and about the same as a typical FGC major. We are going really big with the venue and scope of this event, and trust me, the quality of your tournament experience will reflect that. Just don't expect it to come for dirt cheap.
I have no concern regarding this tournament being "worth it". Your reputation as a TO, member of the community, and the tournament series itself are rock solid. Hmph. Looks like I got a few months to construct additional cash flow

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I never thought I would go to ROMULUS
It's a first for everyone, haha. This series has outgrown its traditional Ann Arbor venues, even the hotels in Ann Arbor.

I think the 24/7 hotel shuttle will end up serving as a bigger benefit than anyone realizes right now. It's perfect for out-of-region players.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
There may be a cap on overall number of unique entrants (combined Melee + PM entrants) but it would be a very large number. As usual, the TO staff reserves the right to announce this cap at any time during the registration period.

Zanguzen

Smash Lord
Looking forward to this! In the interest of booking tickets early, could you please confirm that Friday (Oct 3rd) attendance isn't necessary? The schedule says Friday is TBA, but from the title, it sounds like Oct 4-5th are the main days of the event. I'd like to fly in Friday night if possible so I don't have to take off of work. Thanks in advance for the info.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Looking forward to this! In the interest of booking tickets early, could you please confirm that Friday (Oct 3rd) attendance isn't necessary? The schedule says Friday is TBA, but from the title, it sounds like Oct 4-5th are the main days of the event. I'd like to fly in Friday night if possible so I don't have to take off of work. Thanks in advance for the info.
Yes, Friday will be entirely optional. I should have clarified earlier!

Our tentative plans for Friday evening are friendlies, a Melee It On Me podcast, and maybe an exhibition event. No tournament obligations for Melee or PM at all on that day.

ShinsuYavi

D-Tier Melee Rookie
Yes, Friday will be entirely optional. I should have clarified earlier!

Our tentative plans for Friday evening are friendlies, a Melee It On Me podcast, and maybe an exhibition event. No tournament obligations for Melee or PM at all on that day.
Juggleguy... I love you. <3

NeXi2

Smash Rookie
October couldn't possible come slower T_T

If anyone wants to team there for PM for fun let me know. I use :samus2: and :falco:

Last edited:

Tomacawk

Smash Master
could use a dope melee teammate. would love an old friend or somebody I haven't teamed with before. I play a "support" fox so if you like going in I'll work really well around whatever you're trying to do

hit me up let's place top 16 minimum
*i'm not confirmed to attend yet doe

Last edited:

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
could use a dope melee teammate. would love an old friend or somebody I haven't teamed with before. I play a "support" fox so if you like going in I'll work really well around whatever you're trying to do

hit me up let's place top 16 minimum
*i'm not confirmed to attend yet doe
I could team with you if I come but I really need to work on my Secondary Falco

TylerBeyond

Smash Rookie
NNID
GuardianOfHorror
3DS FC
2852-8288-1346
Is this tournament doubles and singles for both games?? If so, I need a partner... :sheikmelee::roymelee::marthmelee::wolf::pit::roypm::GCRT::GCDR::4sheik:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
If this could have an exhibition event like the FFA 'tournament' at CEO, that would be gold. It would be cool if the big tournies could have more casual events, it would help bring in more sorts of viewers.

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
I am strongly considering going to this depending on costs! Newcomers to the tourney sceen welcome? I played a ton of melee back in the day, and im gonna start playing PM, this could be a lot of fun!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
I am strongly considering going to this depending on costs! Newcomers to the tourney sceen welcome? I played a ton of melee back in the day, and im gonna start playing PM, this could be a lot of fun!
I think there's no better major tourney for a new player to attend than Big House. It costs roughly the same as other majors and provides a similar spectating value, but the main area where we shine is the competitive experience. Grassroots Smash TOs who know what they're doing, round robin pools that provide triple the guaranteed playing time, and way more setups since it's a Smash-oriented tourney that doesn't have to share space with other games.

Chukkaque

Smash Apprentice
I think there's no better major tourney for a new player to attend than Big House. It costs roughly the same as other majors and provides a similar spectating value, but the main area where we shine is the competitive experience. Grassroots Smash TOs who know what they're doing, round robin pools that provide triple the guaranteed playing time, and way more setups since it's a Smash-oriented tourney that doesn't have to share space with other games.
Alright this sounds really good! This would obviously be my first real tournament ever, are people pretty considerate and cool about explaining everything? I personally have no idea how round robins work.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Alright this sounds really good! This would obviously be my first real tournament ever, are people pretty considerate and cool about explaining everything? I personally have no idea how round robins work.
Yup, pool captains will take care of questions. Also, the Smash scene is one of the friendliest communities around, so don't hesitate to ask other players for help on pretty much anything.

CosmoNaughtilus

Smash Apprentice
I actually chose The Big House 3 as my first tournament last year! I HIGHLY recommend it, as it was an AMAZING experience. I did a write-up of my experience here!

Edit:
I actually re-read that thing I wrote for TBH3, and I really think I've grown a lot, not only as a player, but as a person. Since then, I've settled on a character, I've become a more cerebral player, and I have tournament experience now. I look forward to TBH4, and I'm excited to write my thoughts on the event afterwards.

Last edited:

bar0n

Smash Rookie
I'll definitely be attending for melee singles; possibly doubles!

AthleticNerd93

Smash Cadet
October couldn't possible come slower T_T

If anyone wants to team there for PM for fun let me know. I use :samus2: and :falco:
Pending on scheduling I would be down. I have never played doubles but I would like to get into it.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Will this be the first ever Smash4 3DS major tournament? (even as a side event)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom