• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Oct 28, 2015] Wavedash Wednesday (Oak Park, IL)

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
This is a WEEKLY event!

Wavedash Wednesday tournament events are in PM and Melee every week

Schedule

The first game (melee or pm) alternates each week

Tournament 1 @7pm

Tournament 2 @9pm

Please bring additional setups so the tournament can progress quickly!

STREAMED BY EXP Gaming & Windy City Smash

http://www.hitbox.tv/expgamingil
http://www.hitbox.tv/windycitypm

Fees

$10 Venue Fee

$5 tournament fee (per tournament)

Weekly Payout

if <10 then 70/30

if <20 then 60/30/10

if <30 then 50/30/15/5

if <45 then 45/20/15/10/5,5

if ≥45 then 40/20/15/10/5,5/2.5,2.5

Food
There are several restaurants nearby including China Delight, Taco Burrito King, Subway, & Harold's Chicken. You may order food to the venue. Please be aware of how the tournament is progressing and leave for food at a time that does not delay the tournament otherwise you will risk being DQ'd.

General Rules

-ALL RULES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE

-Signups end 15 min. before the scheduled start time for each event.

-BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.

-For Smash, pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks.

-You are responsible for your own belongings

-Coaching is allowed only between games, not during.

-Once your set is done PLAYERS MUST IMMEDIATELY REPORT the results to the TO staff.

-DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the SET. TO staff will not leave the venue to go searching for you so please be aware of how the tournament is progressing. YOU WILL GET DQ’D IF YOU DON’T ARRIVE TO YOUR MATCH ON TIME.

MONEY MATCHES ARE NOT EXCUSABLE! IF YOU ARE MONEY MATCHING WHILE STILL IN BRACKET YOU WILL GET DQ'D!

Collusion of any kind with your competitors and/or sandbagging is considered forbidden. If the Tournament Director determines that any competitor is colluding to manipulate the results or intentionally underperforming, the collaborating players may be immediately disqualified. This determination is to be made at the sole discretion of the Tournament Director. Anyone disqualified in this manner forfeits all rights to any titles or prizes they might have otherwise earned for that tournament.

The TO reserves the right to deny payout from event winnings to any player suspected of intentionally throwing a match, splitting a payout, or committing any other form of bracket manipulation.

-Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.

-Players may NOT hold off their match in order to have it streamed/recorded unless first cleared with the TO staff.

Melee Ruleset

* Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process.

*4 stock, 8:00 minute timer

* Items OFF

* Double elim. Best of 3 except Winners’ Finals, Losers’ Finals and Grand Finals matches which will be best of 5 format.

* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.

* If a match ends with both players dying at the same time resulting in Sudden Death, a 1-stock rematch will be played out on the same stage.

* Master Hand is banned.

* Wobbling is legal. Wobbling past 250% will be considered stalling and is not allowed. Freezing and infinite stalling are NOT legal.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Starter stages (Singles): Yoshi’s Story, Final Destination, Battlefield, Dream Land, Fountain of Dreams

* Counter-pick Stages (Singles): Pokémon Stadium

* First stage is decided by banning from the Starter Stages in P1-P2-P2-P1 order.

* Following stages decided by winner banning ONE stage and then loser choosing.

* Any matches that are best of five, there are no stage bans.

* Winning player is not locked into the same character for the next match, but has to pick before loser selects character.

* You may not choose a stage you have already won on unless mutually agreed to.

Project: M Ruleset

* Player's Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process.

* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer

* Items OFF and set to NONE

* Buffer OFF

* Double elim. Best of 3 except Winners’ Finals, Losers’ Finals and Grand Finals matches which will be best of 5 format.

* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.

* If a match ends with both players dying at the same time resulting in Sudden Death, a 1-stock rematch will be played out on the same stage.

* If each player has one stock remaining and the match ends due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the player who initiated the move wins.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

STAGE LIST
* Starter stages (Singles): Battlefield, Dream Land 64, Pokemon Stadium 2, Smashville, Yoshi's Story (Melee)

* Counter-pick Stages (Singles): Final Destination, Fountain of Dreams, Wario Ware

* First stage is decided by banning from the Starter Stages in P1-P2-P2-P1 order.

* Following stages decided by winner banning TWO stages (ONE stage in BO5 sets) and then loser choosing.

* Winning player is not locked into the same character for the next match, but has to pick before loser selects character.

* You may not choose a stage you have already won on unless mutually agreed to.

*In the event that the game crashes or the TV/Wii loses power in the middle of a match, that match will be restarted from the beginning with the same characters and stage. If a player uses a known glitch to intentionally crash the game or otherwise make it unfinishable, that player may be forced to forfeit the match or be DQed at the TO’s discretion.

*No excessive stalling (this includes abusing Jiggs’ Rising Pound and Mario’s Up-B Walljump)

EXP opens @ 5:00pm

Feel free to come at ANYTIME as casual play is allowed from open to close (5pm-1am).

We ALLOW outside food and drink.

Feel free to bring your own pad, stick, console, monitor, or games.

EXP Gaming
6549 North Ave.
Oak Park, IL 60302
(708) 613-4609

Last edited:

Scythe

Smash Master
hmm i work during this time but this is pretty close to me. no ruleset to speak of though.

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
Rules will be discussed and set by competitors before the matches start. Myself and my fellow co-owner are laid back with how we run tournaments. We are also not big melee/brawl players so I don't want to toss out bans on items, characters, etc. or choose between stock or time matches only to get a negative response. Contestants know what they want for tournament rules and should voice it. As long as it is a unanimous decision we at EXP Gaming are fine with it.

What I can say now is that PS All-Stars will be 2v2, and that Meta Knight will likely be banned from brawl tournaments.
But again we encourage contestants to voice their opinions.

Vannostrum

Smash Rookie
Weekly, huh? I may have to try and make it out to you if the turnout is good each week. If I work on Wednesday, its usually until about 5 so I can be there pretty consistently I would think. I know you guys aren't huge Smash players, but have you at all heard of Project M? I think it would be a good thing to add too if enough people would want it.

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
The turnout will never grow unless people who are interested actually show up and tell others who play these games to show up as well. We are a NEW venue and the turnout WILL be small at first but with dedication, time, and help from loyal players the numbers will grow. Our first weekly ultimate marvel vs capcom 3 tournament had 2 contestants. Now after a month we are up to 7-8 and still growing. So I encourage you to AT LEAST come see the venue and to tell any friends/family who enjoy video games about EXP Gaming.

Scythe

Smash Master
yeah that's all you need, you are able to boot it up through brawl's stage builder.

Vannostrum

Smash Rookie
Well, I doubt I will be able to make it tomorrow due to previous plans, but next week should be a go for me at least.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
Me and my friend trip should be able to go to this in about 2 weeks and we can bring project m for everybody to check out

Rat

Smash Lord
Should be able to swing by after work tomorrow for some ProjectM!

EXP is a Gaming Lounge? Would I need to bring a setup? Are there CRTs or should I bring one?

Knubs.

ナブ Paquito.
Should be able to swing by after work tomorrow for some ProjectM!

EXP is a Gaming Lounge? Would I need to bring a setup? Are there CRTs or should I bring one?
There's enough TVs, but only one Wii. So another Wii one would probably be a good idea.
Coming again tomorrow.

ORLY

Smash Master
hm, i would like to try and come out to one of these since it seems like you guys genuinely do want to get somethin' going

a big problem for me and i'd imagine others is the time and day of the week. 9 PM on wednesdays is a bit rough for me with my school schedule

Knubs.

ナブ Paquito.
I asked EXPgaming last week and he said the time and days are something we could work on or adjust if we agreed on it. I agree with you though.

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
Yea Knubs is correct. We have NO problem if you all want to organize a different day/time to come by EXP and compete. Even tomorrow we could start the tourney earlier if everyone can make it before 9pm. I'm looking forward to meeting you all and watching the competition!

Also another wii would be helpful and any extra copies of the games are a good idea as well.

Scythe

Smash Master
update me on how this goes nick! too bad i got work until 11 : /

tripwire

Smash Journeyman
I for sure check this place out next wednesday since my school is on 5th ave right by north. Should we always bring our own Wii set ups?

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
It really depends on the number of attendees. We have enough TVs and at the moment 1 extra wii would suffice. But if the number of attendees increases then we would need more wiis & extra copies of games.

Rat

Smash Lord
I went to this place but decided to leave because it seemed really sketchy.

It took me awhile to find the place. There were no signs outside for EXP gaming. And the building looked closed and empty. It wasn't until I saw a piece of paper with EXP gaming on that I decided to try going inside.

In the building was a bunch of closed doors. It seemed safer to leave than wander around scooby-doo style.

Maybe I'll try going again if I'm not alone and it's not dark outside.

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
There is a sign outside under the Farmer's Insurance sign. It's low but it's there. The place doesn't look like much from the outside but it's nice inside. Knubs can vouch for that. The sign you saw clearly states "EXP Gaming Down the Hall" It's a shame that you came so close to entering but decided not to because the number of closed doors. 4 of those doors lead into EXP Gaming and are clearly labeled.

I apologize if the outer part of the building seems sketchy (I dislike it myself) but I have no control over that as I am not the building's owner, I only rent space. There are several other businesses in the building such as the Farmer's agency, a chiropractor, and a ministry.

There are pictures on our fb page and yelp page so you can see our space looks nice.
https://www.facebook.com/EXPgamingIL

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
Wavedash Wednesday is still going on weekly so if anyone is interested in weekly smash competitions then show up this upcoming Wednesday! Once we get a regular crowd we can see what day/time to compete will work best for everyone.

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
This event was only posted on smashboards a lil over 2 weeks ago. Our average turnout has been Knubs. Only Knubs showed for the1st one. Despite there being 3 “should be able to go” or similar posts on this thread, only Knubs came through last week. Rat actually walked into the building (but not into EXP) so I guess that’s 1.5 people last week, which is a step in the right direction.

As of now I’m expecting 7 contestants for this Wednesday. 5 from our facebook page (a guy said him and 4 buddies will show) and trip and 5-one make 7.
Every venue has to start somewhere so if you are interested then show up, don’t just say you will.
If we get enough interest then you all can decide on a different day/start time that works best for everyone.
If we continue getting little to no interest then we’ll cancel smash tourneys.

But hopefully it doesn’t come to that because we want to build a fun weekly tournament community in various games, smash bros. included.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I hope you have CRTs to run smash on and aren't going to pawn us off on Plasmas/LED/LCD or "gaming tvs". The lag is definitely there, and for a game as precise as melee it matters a lot to the consistent tourney vets.

Knubs.

ナブ Paquito.
I'll be around this Wednesday to give it another shot. Oro brings up a good point. Sadly there are only LCD TVs there I believe?

tripwire

Smash Journeyman
Me and Que were talking about the tv thing last night. I've a feeling this would be the one time we can't bring our CRT since we won't have a car.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
I went to this place but decided to leave because it seemed really sketchy.

It took me awhile to find the place. There were no signs outside for EXP gaming. And the building looked closed and empty. It wasn't until I saw a piece of paper with EXP gaming on that I decided to try going inside.

In the building was a bunch of closed doors. It seemed safer to leave than wander around scooby-doo style.

Maybe I'll try going again if I'm not alone and it's not dark outside.
me and trip will be going this wednesday to check it out since its only right down the street from us.

tripwire

Smash Journeyman
Small question why does the venue open at 5 but the actually tourney start at like 9 which is 4 hours later. I realize there prolly won't be that many people but lets say there were the actual brackets would have to start earlier.

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
Trip, I know that with a larger bracket we would have to start earlier. The tourney start time was set to 9 because our most loyal tourney crowd (umvc3 players) said that time works best for them on Thursdays so I set 9pm as the default tourney time. I've said multiple times that the tourney can start at whatever time works best for all participants. So if you all want a different time then decide that amongst yourselves. I have no problem with that at all.

Oro, we have LCD TVs. No one who has played here has complained of any lag. This includes top fighting game competitors like Duckator & Shinsyn. I don't want to speak for Knubs but if he has any complaints he would be the first. If you come here and our equipment isn't to your liking then bring your own setups next time. If that still doesn't work then I guess we aren't the right venue for you.

Scythe

Smash Master
melee does not run smoothly on anything but crts. That's how it's always been, it's pretty much the only game like that.

edit: my run smoothly i meant there is input lag that is easily noticeable by anyone in the melee scene. And i think there is the same issue with brawl but I could be wrong about that.

Rat

Smash Lord
me and trip will be going this wednesday to check it out since its only right down the street from us.
That sounds good. I'll try to be there and go through the door this time lol.

Top Bottom