• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Oct 2, 2015] The Big House 5 (Dearborn, MI)

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium

The Big House 5
A National Super Smash Bros. Melee and Wii U Tournament
October 2-4, 2015
Dearborn, MI

- INTRODUCTION -

The Big House 5 is coming to Michigan again this October! The premier Midwest Smash tournament series returns.

Why should you attend?

* Amazing venue – hotel space for 2000+ attendees, 200+ setups, main stage, and projector screens
* Travel convenience – inexpensive transportation between the venue and DTW airport, and free parking on-site
* Great TO staff – an established reputation for delivering high-quality tournament organization
* Player experience – opportunity to officially compete in up to two games and four events
* Spectator experience – friendlies, exhibitions, and main stage viewing for spectators all weekend
* Big spotlight – professionally broadcast on some of Smash’s premiere livestreaming platforms
* Storied history – past attendance that includes Mango, Armada, PPMD, Mew2King, Hungrybox, Leffen, and more
* Michigan community – one of the biggest and most active Smash scenes in the United States

2015 Partners

History
The Big House
October 22, 2011
(115 entrants)
1: Lovage
2: S2J
3: VaNz
4: KirbyKaze

The Big House 2
October 6-7, 2012
(128 entrants)
1: Mango
2: Hungrybox
3: Fly Amanita
4: SFAT

The Big House 3
October 12-13, 2013
(172 entrants)
1: CT EMP Mew2King
2: CT Hungrybox
3: VGBC Dr. PeePee
4: SFAT

The Big House 4
October 4-5, 2014
(574 entrants)
1: C9 Mango
2: P4K EMP Mew2King
3: Leffen
4: P4K EMP Armada

- LOCATION -

Royal Dearborn Hotel (formerly the Adoba Dearborn Hotel)
600 Town Center Drive
Dearborn, MI 48126

Fifth Big House, fifth new venue. Growth has been incredible the past few years, and we’re happy to expand again. This year’s venue is one of the best you’ll ever see for a Smash tourney, and here’s why.

* 24,000 square feet of ballroom space. That’s over 3x as big as last year, and enough room for 2000+ attendees and 200+ setups.

* 2nd-biggest hotel in the entire state of Michigan, with a track record of hosting gaming conventions such as YoumaCon 2008 and 2009.

* Located only a few minutes from the Detroit Metro Airport, with inexpensive transportation options to and from.

* Discounted hotel room rate for TBH5 attendees. Stay inside the venue for the true national Smash tournament experience!

Travel:
IF YOU ARE DRIVING IN:

Parking is free right in front of the hotel. 1-minute walk into the venue!

If you are bringing a TV to the tourney, it must be dropped off at the loading dock behind the main ballroom. Hotel staff will NOT allow any TVs in through the front entrance. We will post a map illustration in the coming weeks.

IF YOU ARE FLYING IN:

The airport to fly into is Detroit Metro Airport (DTW) which is 15 miles away from the venue. You are responsible for arranging your own transportation from the airport to the venue.

Housing:

The Royal Dearborn Hotel (formerly the Adoba Dearborn Hotel) is your best housing option in order to stay inside the venue and connect with other Smashers at the special TBH5 room rate of $112/night. This is a big discount from their usual rate, and an especially great deal considering the quality of the hotel and convenience of staying inside the venue.

1. Go to http://www.hotel-dearborn.com/ and set your date of arrival and departure, then click Book Now.
2. Type in the Group Code 3903 and select up to 4 adults per room, then click Check Availability.
3. View Available Rooms and select a room type, either Two Bed or King.
4. Enter in your payment info and then click Confirm Reservation.

UPDATE 8/28/15: After our initial room block sold out, we’ve been able to add a few more rooms at the venue, but they are mostly King bed rooms now. After this new room block becomes sold out, you'll have to go to another hotel.

UPDATE 6/12/15: Because the venue is currently undergoing a re-branding to the Royal Dearborn Hotel name, there may occasionally be a few bugs on the website. If you run into an error booking a room, please contact the hotel's systems administrator Mishelle Hardy at 313.982.6790 or mishellehardy@lodginghost.com for support.

Food:
Inside the hotel (2-minute walk from the ballroom):
Archimedes Bar & Lounge
Giulio & Sons Italian Restaurant
BREW Specialty Coffee Shop & Sandwiches

Around the block (10-minute walk outside the venue):
PF Chang’s
BRAVO! Cucina Italiana
Koney Island
Subway
Great Steak
Sbarro
Dairy Queen

Around the area (10-minute drive outside the venue):
TGI Friday’s
Big Fish
Benihana
A&W
Chili’s
Red Robin

- REGISTRATION -

Player registration is available at smashgg. This is required for both players and spectators who wish to attend the event.
UPDATE 9/12/15: Player registration is now closed. Spectator registration is still available at the same link for a limited time. Just pay venue fee only on the smashgg interface. There are no at-the-door registrations or transactions at all.

Media Badge applications are available here. This is required for any prospective media personnel who wish to cover the event.
UPDATE 9/20/15: Media Badge applications are now closed.

Artist Alley applications are available here. This is required for any prospective art vendors who wish to sell at the event.
UPDATE 8/15/15: Artist Alley applications are now closed.

Volunteer applications are available here. If you can help out with running the tournament this year, please let us know!
UPDATE 9/20/15: Volunteer applications are now closed.

Hotel room reservations are available here. Book your room now to secure your housing at the venue all weekend!
UPDATE 9/12/15: Hotel room reservations are sold out, or are King room only for select days of the weekend.

* July 1: Registration opens
* July 5: Early bird promotion closes
* August 1: Venue fee increases
* September 1: Venue fee increases
* September 12: Registration closes

- SCHEDULE -

Tournament Schedule:
http://www.umsmash.com/schedule/#tournamentschedule

All tournament obligations begin at 10am EST on Friday, October 2. This is a full three-day tournament. An exact schedule will be posted later, dependent on final turnout numbers.
Stream Schedule:
Commentary Schedule:

- RULES -

General Rules:

Super Smash Bros. Melee Ruleset:
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U Ruleset:
Additional Rules:
Code of Conduct:
Payout:

See you in October! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ShinsuYavi

D-Tier Melee Rookie
Big House 4 was a truly amazing experience. I can't imagine how much better Big House 5 will be!
Here's to the most exciting tournament of the year! I hope I can make some dent in the pools this time.

Last edited:

_D._

Smash Apprentice
I need to know if customs are legal. I can't justify a trip from Florida for a custom legal event or if the event is 3-stock for Wii U.

ecstasy

Smash Cadet
NNID
stalfosslayer3
3DS FC
2981-5797-2461
I only live about 40 mins. away from dearborn. I should go to this, it'll be my first major tournament

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
I live by Dearborn.

However, my second year at high school starts slightly before this so I cannot go. :sadsheep:

ecstasy

Smash Cadet
NNID
stalfosslayer3
3DS FC
2981-5797-2461
I live by Dearborn.

However, my second year at high school starts slightly before this so I cannot go. :sadsheep:
Really? It takes place on the weekend so i think it's possible.

I'm starting my sophomore year as well :p

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
Really? It takes place on the weekend so i think it's possible.

I'm starting my sophomore year as well :p
My parents probably wouldn't let me go anyways. However, I think it'll get recorded. I'll just watch that.

Xyrin

Smash Rookie
Hey I'm a noob at registering with smash.gg, if I register for singles tonight would I be able to add on doubles later if my friend decides to go?

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Hey I'm a noob at registering with smash.gg, if I register for singles tonight would I be able to add on doubles later if my friend decides to go?
Yes, registration modifications after-the-fact are possible on the smashgg platform, but refunds are not.

BEHR

Smash Hero
First regional ever super stoked.

Also just curious does anyone know if there is a Basketball court in or near the venue? I wanna MM some nerds.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Yo.

Technology here. Smash 4 player and :4metaknight: main. I am in need of a doubles partner. I have very strong results overall in Michigan in doubles; mostly top 3 placements with good out of state/regional placements. I play more of a support/stock tank role and would appreciate someone who is good at being the aggressor. If you are a strong player and interested please let me know. Thanks!

BEHR

Smash Hero
Who is trying to team with yah boy at this in Melee?

You just cant be ass.

ToonKake

So Animated
NNID
ToOn_Cake
The Funny Thing is About Big house 5 there will prob be a Patch Happening before or During the days span of the tourney...

MewtwoForce

Smash Cadet
Some last minute problems happened so I can't register right now. Do you guy have any plans to allow late registration during october? I would hate to miss this.

Last edited:

Spagh

Smash Rookie
Hey, so I entered Melee doubles, and my buddy wasn't able to get in in time, so I need a parter for doubles. Anybody interested?

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Can I ask why wireless controllers aren't allowed? I know they can interfere with set ups but nowadays there haven't been nearly as many controllers logged in and if there is the person usually disconnects within 5 minutes once they notice. There is also a fair share of top players who use wireless controllers, I believe someone in top 16 Smash Con and Paragon was using a Mario Wiimote+Nunchuck.

I myself use a Pro Controller and I can't get a hold of a GC adapter.

ShinsuYavi

D-Tier Melee Rookie
Can I ask why wireless controllers aren't allowed? I know they can interfere with set ups but nowadays there haven't been nearly as many controllers logged in and if there is the person usually disconnects within 5 minutes once they notice. There is also a fair share of top players who use wireless controllers, I believe someone in top 16 Smash Con and Paragon was using a Mario Wiimote+Nunchuck.

I myself use a Pro Controller and I can't get a hold of a GC adapter.
Juggleguy presented his reasoning in this MIOM blog post.

Megamang

Smash Lord
I'm not sure where to ask this, but I have been hearing people say that this will be played on the 1.1 patch, regardless of what happens with the MM patch. Can you confirm/deny/save us from boost kick?

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I'm not sure where to ask this, but I have been hearing people say that this will be played on the 1.1 patch, regardless of what happens with the MM patch. Can you confirm/deny/save us from boost kick?
There will be an official statement coming out this weekend or early next week.

ShinsuYavi

D-Tier Melee Rookie
Double-elimination bracket all the way throughout. You can see your pool bracket on smash.gg.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
Any word on that official statement?
I made the statement on the FB event page. Here is what I said,

Statement said:
Oh hey it's me, Pulse|Ori the head TO for Smash 4 again, this time I'm here to discuss something that is crucial for the Smash 4 Event.

As you all should know, there is the Mario Maker stage being released 2 days before this event, 9/30/15. Typically, when there is DLC announced for Smash 4 usually a patch will come along with it. This has brought up many questions as to how the Big House staff will handle the potential patch.

I'm here to announce that the Wii U Staff, as well as the main directors for Big House, have decided that it is in the best interest of all competitors that we stay at patch 1.1.0 for this event. Gaming Generations will be providing all the setups for this event and they will be having every WiiU setup at the 1.1.0 patch. The WiiU staff feels as if 2 days isn't enough time for players to be competing at the highest level for a National of this caliber and this is why we have decided to stay 1 patch behind.

If you have any questions regarding this decision, message me here or tweet to myself or Vayseth (Smash WiiU Co-TO)

twitter.com/KoolOriBro
twitter.com/GG_Vayseth

Top Bottom