• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Oct 18, 2014] Sm4sh 3DS NEOH ITT's house tournament (akron, OH)

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
This is a Smash 4 tournament for people midwest. The weather should be better so we won't have a repeat of the last extremely hot and muggy tournament at my house.

If there is enough interest and consoles we may have a PM, Brawl or melee tournament as well. Let me know in the forum if you are interested in a side tournament. I have 2 couches if anyone needs to stay the night. I also have tons of blankets/pillows etc.

If many people plan to stay, Zareidriel may have additional housing available as well (he lives within walking distance of my house and has couches etc.) I will check with Zareidriel and update.

Tournament Information:

Entry fee: $20
($10 Singles, $10 Doubles)

If you have any allergies, please let me know beforehand. I have 3 cats, so if you are allergic to cats I have some Loratradine that may help but not much else.

Everyone should bring their own 3DS + Copy of Smash 4. If you do NOT bring your own 3DS/Game, you must make your own plans to borrow someone else's. You are responsible for your own system!

TOURNAMENT RULES:

• Game Settings: 4 Stocks, 10 Minute Time Limit, Best of 3 Games.
    • Items are disabled.
    • The act of stalling is banned and constitutes intentionally making the game unplayable. Examples include becoming perpetually invisible, continuing infinites/chain grabs/uninterrupted moves past 300%, and/or reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
    • Should you believe your opponent is stalling, please call for a TO so that it may be observed
    • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
    • Pause option is disabled in the game menu. If left on, accidental pausing mid match forfeits a stock.
    • You may not choose a stage you have won on during a set, unless agreed by both players.
    • If time runs outs the tie is determined by most stocks, and then if still tied, by percentage.
    • If the match ends with time running out with both players at equal percent and stock, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage.
    • If a match is ended via suicide move, the victory screen indicates the winner.
    • Coaching, when done respectfully, is allowed during a match (it's to help us learn!)
    • NO CUSTOM MOVESETS. For this first invitational at least, we will only allow the base movesets. Given that there's only a week of time between release and this tournament, I figure this will be the most fair way of approaching it.
    • NO EQUIPMENT. For this first invitational at least, we will only allow the base characters. Given that there's only a week of time between release and this tournament, I figure this will be the most fair way of approaching it.
    • One stage ban.
    • Breaks from tournament matches are limited to a reasonable timeframe as determined by the TO on location. In the middle of a set, this is one 2 minute break. If you continually stall between matches to rest your mind/hands or calm your nerves, it will make the tournament drag on. Be ready for your matches!
    • Color Blind Rule: If you or a teammate have a color-based disability, you may request your opponent use a different team color skin (example being two sonic and lucario teams being indistinguishable due to team color choice)
    • Intentional Lag Rule: You are not allowed to intentionally cause the match to lag either by intentionally walking away from your opponent or attempting to block the signal in any way including cell phone useage.
    • Dead Battery Rule: You are responsible for having a charged battery. If your 3DS dies in the middle of a match, the person whose 3DS ran out of batteries forfeits that match, regardless of stocks/%.
    • Distraction Rule: Verbal distractions are okay to a degree (try to be civil) however, physical distractions such as bumping someone's 3DS, putting your hand in front of their screen etc. will not be tolerated.
SINGLES:

4 stock, best 2/3.
10 minute timer

Tournament format will be pools and depending on the number of players in the tournament, 8, 16 or 32 will advance to the bracket. If there are fewer than 8 players ( I don't think that'll be an issue) Then play will advance directly to bracket

Payouts (1-8 entrants)
1- 50%
2- 30%
3- 20%

Payouts (9-64 entrants):
1- 40%
2 - 25%
3 - 15%
5 (two players) - 10%

3 stock, best 2/3.
8 minute timer

This will be run similarly to the singles bracket with a similar payout structure

PRELIMINARY STAGE LIST:
STARTERS:

-FINAL DESTINATION / OMEGA MODE
-BATTLEFIELD
-YOSHI'S ISLAND
-PRISM TOWER

COUNTERPICKS:
-BRINSTAR
-ARENA FEROX
-RESET BOMB FORTRESS

Stage list may change the day of the tournament. Let me know what other stages you guys think should be legal.

Attendees:

1. (7 confirmed, 9 maybes)

• Ithrowthings
    • BloodOcean
    • Less
    • Riddler
    • links24
    • Alus
    • King Yoshi
    • Sonic Kirby Elric (Online?)
    • Beegs?
    • colinies?
    • BlueAria?
    • Jinkozou?
    • Deadringers?
    • Solecalibur?
    • BYAA?
    • Good Job Dino?
  2. Doubles
  • Ithrowthings

Last edited:

Sonic Kirby Elric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonicfan08
3DS FC
1934-1829-6241
Is this just an invitational?? Or can anyone join. Your the first one I've seen thats near my area.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
"If the match ends with time running out with both players at equal percent and stock, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage."

should replace your rule listed there -- I'm assuming you copied from me, because I had to fix mine as well! :D

Less

Smash Cadet
I'll be there and will be sure to pass it along to some friends as well. Nice to see a Smash 4 tournament in Ohio so early!

Sonic Kirby Elric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonicfan08
3DS FC
1934-1829-6241
I'll have to see if its okay with my mom (I'm only 13. :/) So put a question mark by my name when you have the chance.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
"If the match ends with time running out with both players at equal percent and stock, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage."

should replace your rule listed there -- I'm assuming you copied from me, because I had to fix mine as well! :D
Yup, I copied yours. Fixed.

I'll have to see if its okay with my mom (I'm only 13. :/) So put a question mark by my name when you have the chance.

If it would make your parents feel more comfortable, they are more than welcome to come in and meet me and see the house. They can even stay for the entire tournament although I doubt they would want to. Most of the attendees will be about double your age so I can definitely see their concern. (I've been playing smash bros. since before you were born lol.)

Last edited:

Less

Smash Cadet
Yeah and if you need a ride or anything I could probably grab you on the way. Also, in case it helps be more parent friendly, I'm a high school math teacher coming out of Case Western Reserve University. We'd love to have you come so if there's anything we can do to help out just let us know! Smash needs more young bloods

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
So who else is doing doubles? Also, i've updated the stage list.

Last edited:

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Hey, thanks for the invite. Unfortunately, since I'm back in Youngstown and I have both work and school that day, I won't be able to make it. But thank you for the invite. I don't have as much time as I used to, but I'd love to come to some tourneys again.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
On one hand it is almost 3 hours away from me and there are 2 smash tournaments here in Cinci this week alone.

On the other hand, it would be really nice to hang with the Akron crew again...

I'll see what I can do. If O can get the time off I'll make the trip.

If you could, keep me up to date on when you guys host stuff; if I can't make this one then I'll try for the next one.

Last edited:

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
With the release of the Wii U version so close, I think there won't be too many 3DS tournaments that ever take place. I'm thinking of getting a very large online monthly tournament system going on here in the near future.

Links, do you wanna team up for doubles?

Last edited:

Sonic Kirby Elric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonicfan08
3DS FC
1934-1829-6241
Hey. I can't make it IN PERSON. BUT, I have a possible solution. It involves online play, and video chat. Do you want to hear it?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I sadly won't be able to make it to this one. Please keep me up to date on when you do the next one though so I can request the days off.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Hey. I can't make it IN PERSON. BUT, I have a possible solution. It involves online play, and video chat. Do you want to hear it?
I'm guessing that it involves you getting on a video chat and we have the person you are matched against fight you online? I'll ask the others when they show up if they want to do this, but you'd need to pay the 10 bucks via paypal before the matches.

Sonic Kirby Elric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonicfan08
3DS FC
1934-1829-6241
I'll figure how to get the $10 to your place. Probably by mail a few days after the tournament. Sorry. I don't have PayPal or any fancy stuff... yet. Probably when I'm 18 I can go to tournaments like this. I'll get that $10 to you probably after the launch of the Wii U version. I just have to pay $10 for the remaining portion of my pre-order and then send it to you. 1 question though: What if we disconnect??

Last edited:

IvoYaridovich

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4355-9654-5728
Is it too late to say I 'might' be able to make this? At the very least it'd just be nice to meet people in the Akron area if its too late to compete. :p

colinies

Smash Cadet
NNID
CoLiNieS
Is it too late to say I 'might' be able to make this? At the very least it'd just be nice to meet people in the Akron area if its too late to compete. :p
Its not too late to register, just be there by 1:00 PM with a 3DS and Smash, and 10 bucks and your good to go man! Hope to see you there!

Last edited:

colinies

Smash Cadet
NNID
CoLiNieS
I'll be there, super excited for my first tourney. I can bring my cousin too, but he doesn't have a 3DS and smash, is there anyway we can have him just use someone elses while he's playing and there not? I could pay extra if I have too (he wouldnt last long either ;) )

Sonic Kirby Elric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonicfan08
3DS FC
1934-1829-6241
ithrowthings, whats your email? I need this so I can get on a video chat.

Top Bottom