• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Nov 1, 2014] Bad Wrong Fun: SSB4 3DS Release Tournament (Middletown, Orange County, New York)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
551 Route 211 E, Middletown, NY 10940-1762

Schedule:
Doors open at 12:00pm
Sign-ups continue until ~2:00pm
Melee & Project M singles start at ~3:00pm
SSB4 3DS singles start at ~5:00pm

Prices:
Venue fee = $10 (includes casuals)
Tournament fees = $10

First 5 people to bring a complete set-up (game, console, tv) will have their venue fee completely waived.

Facebook event page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/605983279521741/
_________

Super Smash Bros. has had a recent insurgence of popularity thanks to "The Smash Brothers" documentary, some big name sponsorships, and a more professional presentation of the community.

Now, a new entry in the Super Smash Bros. series for the Nintendo 3DS is upon us with a release date of October 3rd.

Hosted at the Holiday Inn Hotel will be a day to celebrate the release of the upcoming Super Smash Bros. game, as well as create and support a community of 3DS and video game enthusiasts alike.

Bring your own Nintendo 3DS, 3DS XL, or 2DS and copy of Super Smash Bros. for 3DS to enjoy an all day affair of casual and competitive multiplayer action.

Make sure to turn on your 3DS Streetpass functionality so you can wirelessly exchange data with other players for some of your favorite games and collect Streetpass puzzle pieces!

Melee and Project M tournaments & casual play participants are required to bring your own controller.

Also, look forward to many more events within the community in the upcoming months!
_________

Singles tournament prizes:
1st place = 70%
2nd place = 20%
3rd place = 10%

A raffle will be held for the chance to win a fully paid reservation for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U!
_________

It is recommended you bring a charger for your 3DS to prevent any unexpected shutdowns. Plenty of multi-plugins will be provided for event participants.

Please bring your own controllers for Melee & Project M.
_________

For people coming from NYC by train: take the NJ Transit at PENN Station. Make sure your final destination (heh) is Middletown, NY. You'll get off at Secaucus Junction to transfer onto your next train and then get off at Middletown, NY.

For people coming from Northern NJ by train: all NJ Transit trains allow a straight ride into Middletown, NY.

The hotel is approximately 10 minutes away from the Middletown station. If you are in need of a ride to the venue please message me so we can arrange it.
_________

More information will be provided soon! For now, get hype!

Last edited:

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
I'm definitely interested in this, I'm gonna be sure to let all the smashers in my area know

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
I looked at the Train schedule for the 18th of October and I wouldn't be able to make it time, sorry dude

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
Really? Which station would you be starting from? Sign-ups don't start until 2:00pm, and the 3ds tourney doesn't start until ~5:00pm. I would think that's plenty of time, no?

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
Oh I thought Signups ended at 2, I'll be able to make it then.

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
Ah, yes, the tilde means "around" 2:00pm, so it's likely to be extended. Just an estimated time! I'm working on a pre-registration option for people, so we can avoid any registration issues for anyone traveling. :}

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
Awesome! Also, for anyone here that is or might be considering attending. . .lemme know if you can bring a set-up on by. We're not looking for too many, just (5) total. PM & Melee, folks.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Hey, I'm definitely interested in attending. My sister had told me about a tourney, and although I'm not a Melee player I'll be more than happy to play 4.

I played SSBB(Still do every now and then) at AiB a good deal, and I loved the competitive community. I likely would have played Melee had I known such a scene existed; anyway I'd be more than happy to attend.

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
Sweet deal. If you live in the area share this with your friends!

Just remember guys, as it states in the event description, make sure you bring your 3DS and copy of SSB for 3DS to play and enter the main tournament. Same with controllers for Melee or PM.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Is there an age cut off? My younger bro might want to enter.

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
Sorry to double post!

Aye guys, I've been thinking a lot about this event and what I can do to make it the best possible experience for everyone that attends.

For that to happen there will be a change of venue. Luckily, we have more than a month ahead of us, so it's more than enough time for everyone to look over these details and leave no surprises.

This event will still be held in Middletown, NY at a more convenient location with a larger, more comfortable space. The Howard Johnson's hotel is located right off of 211 in the same plaza as Buffalo Wild Wings!

However, what this will mean is pushing the date back 1 week to the 25th of October (Saturday) instead of the original date of the 18th.

Like I said, these changes are made with you guys in mind, so I hope everyone will still be in attendance to take part in the beginning of a great Smash Bros. and Nintendo Tournament series.

If you have any questions, feel free to comment or message me.

Thanks! I'll be updating the event information here tonight, but for the full details visit the facebook link in the OP.

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
Now that we've seen the Japanese release of the game, as well as the demo (though I haven't had the oppritunity to play it) does anyone have any thoughts on what the ruleset should be?

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I have the demo, I'm loving it.

I'd say 3 stock, with a debatable time limit as the blast lines are pretty far.

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
The "For Glory" rules are 2 stocks & 5 minutes which I could see working. 3 stocks 8 minutes is pretty standard, but like Opana said, the blast zones in this game are a lot wider and I think 3 stocks 8 minutes will see a lot of time outs which we don't want to happen.

Expect a rough draft rule set in about 2 weeks that we'll be using at this tournament.

Starter stages I'd consider are Battlefield, FD, Wario Ware (since it doesn't transition anymore), and Brawl Yoshi's Island.

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
I think 2 stocks 5 minutes is for the best, at least until nintendo fixes blast zones, otherwise I think we'll see many people just getting the percent lead and then camping till the clock runs out.

Last edited:

Acton

Smash Journeyman
Ill be there! I used to be part of the competitive brawl community in Syracuse and had to retire in 2010 related to life issues....ended up moving to this area in 2011! I actually work right in middletown at orange regional medical center! Im going to school at suny ulster for nursing! Cant really promise that Ill be putting a lot of effort into being competitive until I graduate next may, but we'll see!

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Ill be there! I used to be part of the competitive brawl community in Syracuse and had to retire in 2010 related to life issues....ended up moving to this area in 2011! I actually work right in middletown at orange regional medical center! Im going to school at suny ulster for nursing! Cant really promise that Ill be putting a lot of effort into being competitive until I graduate next may, but we'll see!
That's pretty awesome, the previous run in the scene and the job.

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
Haha, I work right around the corner at PetSmart.

Btw guys, please let me know if you can bring a Melee or PM set-up. Still need a few.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
Well I got ****ed at work. Was supposed to be off that weekend but my weekends off where switched. I'd still like to meet up with you guys at some point, so if there are any smash fest going on let me know! Hmu for my number if one of you guys wanna text me! Sorry again I cant make it. It's going to suck that I'll be working and you guys will be hosting a tourney right around the corner lol

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
Don't worry man, I'll keep you in the loop. I plan on having tournaments monthly with the possibility of smaller Smashfests at my house in Bloomingburg (I have a decent sized rec room that's unused).

Shame ya can't make it, though! If you wanna PM me we can exchange numbers, or just add me on Facebook, I'm the host on the event page

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
In case you guys haven't seen I posted another event for this Saturday at the Galleria Mall in Middletown, NY - free-to-enter and winner gets a giftcard to gamestop.

It'd be really appreciated if you guys could help spread the word about this tourney, too! We've got nearly 50 people on the FB page. The more the merrier. :}

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
50+ confirmed on facebook - hoping to see that number increase within the next 2 weeks! Only a bit longer. . .can't wait to see what this community's got. I met a lot of people at the midnight release and they're thirsty for competition. Invite everyone you know!

Thought I'd be maining DHD, but I'm sticking with my man Megaman after all.

D

Deleted member

I already signed up. I'm fairly new to tournaments, but hey, everyone's got to start somewhere, neh? I just hope I can keep up. (Ironic, given how since I use Sonic, he keeps up with everything.)

Egregore

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NoGoodEndings
3DS FC
1977-1234-9456
Look forward to seeing you guys here! Let your friends know about it. :}

And SonicHunter, I'm sure you'll do well! It's all in good fun, and most people will be learning a lot at this tournament.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
Looking forward to playing some matches in sm4sh. Been a good while since I've been to a smash tourny :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom