• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oceans of Candela: Create an Original Fantasy World

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Job 11:
1637032655166.png

Medusea Plateau:

A massive jellyfish wedged into the ground close by Sonnestrahl, the Medusea Plateau initially gives off the impression of a large mushroom. When traversing the bell of the jellyfish, you'll find multiple mushrooms that grow from its surface, feeding off both its nutrients and the water the jellyfish that's floating on its surface. The only safe area for the jellyfish is the bell it rests atop, not that the tendrils are of any threat to anyone walking along the island. The tendrils, however, are laced with an instant death poison laced with Photoluciferin that reduces the bodies of its victims into water to become one with the sea. The locals of Sonnestrahl usually come to Medusea Plateau to take the mushrooms, which are used often in local cuisine. Some local apothecaries and alchemists have even attempted to extract some of the jellyfish's poison in an ongoing attempt to create what they loftily believe to be the ultimate cure for all ailments.

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Job 11: Bamboo Forest (The only name I could think of is 'Stallks')

In a certain island, there is a famous forest of bamboo. There are small villages there and many animals, with one of the common pets there being pandas. One of the things the village are most famous for is their ability to craft items with bamboo, from stuff like tables and chairs to weapons and armor like spears and shields. The forest used to be very large, but several bamboo trees have been cut down to be turned into weapons and cuisine. There is a legend that in the forest, there resides a golem made entirely of bamboo. This rumor hasn't been confirmed, but it hasn't been disproven neither.

Last edited:

airConditioner

Smash Ace
Job 11: I can't think of names guys but it sure is steamy

I haven't been paying too much attention to this thread (and Smashboards in general) as of recently so I don't really know what's going on. Apologies if this doesn't fit too well lol

As a child I always had a fascination with the Yellowstone National Park and its geothermal features. Especially the mudpots. And geysers. I remember excitedly watching footage of geysers erupting and wishing to go see one in person one day. I've never been to the park, but I've since taken a few courses in the physical sciences relating to these features. I don't remember much from the courses but I think I can get enough to write.

To make this recipe you'll need An island created by a volcanic hotspot is bound to have some geothermal energy. It's especially noticeable once you start making your way onto the islands, with the stench and bubbling of mudpots being a constant. As you travel deeper inland, the natural hotspots underneath the crust of the land heat up accumulating basins of water. These basins create hot springs and geysers, which spew ridiculously hot water up into the air. The chemical makeup of the water in the hot springs have proven it to be a natural habitat for the algae that produces photoluciferin, the glow of which can be warmly spotted from several kilometres away. Naturally, the area around here would be pretty inhospitable to normal humans, though we'll see about that as time goes on. There have been discussions of creating a way to farm photoluciferin in these geothermal features, but nothing major has come out of it yet.

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Job 11: Bamboo Forest (The only name I could think of is 'Stallks')

In a certain island, there is a famous forest of bamboo. There are small villages there and many animals, with one of the common pets there being pandas. One of the things the village are most famous for is their ability to craft items with bamboo, from stuff like tables and chairs to weapons and armor like spears and shields. The forest used to be very large, but several bamboo trees have been cut down to be turned into weapons and cuisine. There is a legend that in the forest, there resides a golem made entirely of bamboo. This rumor hasn't been confirmed, but it hasn't been disproven neither.
Updated my submission to be more detailed and provide more information.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Job 11 - Ahako'a Reef
1637715754397.png

Ahako'a (Roughly "Coral Mass" in Hawai'ian, according to Google Translate) Reef is a massive, massive coral reef stretching across the shallow sea of Ahako'a, where much of the planet's biodiversity lies. Coral reefs are already massive biodiversity hotspots in our world, and when their symbiotic algae is photoluciferic, that biodiversity flies through the roof. Much of the food fish comes from the reef, and this place is where most of the native Merrow live as well. Ahako'a Reef can also be broken down into multiple sub-areas as well, from the drop-off that leads to the open ocean to islands of coral that stick out of the water.

I'll leave the job open a bit longer, in case anyone else wants to add more locations.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, I think we've stretched this out long enough. Let's get the thread running and back on track again.

So for our locations, we have a massive coral reef, a stationary jellyfish with mushrooms on it, a geothermal energy hotspot, and an island of bamboo. Now that we have the environments, we'll need some life for them. That's where the next job comes in:

Job 12: Submit an Organism for the Ahako'a Reef
This should be a simple starter job. We all have the basic image of coral reefs as the colorful diverse underwater places, so you should have an idea of the general theme. In addition, there's three different subgroups we're sorting this into:
  1. Extant Organisms - Based on anything alive today, plus some personal uniqueness
  2. Extinct Organisms - Based on prehistoric life
  3. Mythical Organisms - Based on various mythologies and religions
You can submit one of each category. It's not a requirement, but it would be preferred so we can help cover more ground.

On an unrelated note:

Job 13: Submit a Potential Future Job
I've noticed the thread's been steadily dropping in terms of participation, and my theory is that people aren't used to these sorts of worldbuilding. As such, I'm looking to see what jobs people want to have. My hope is that if we have jobs people want to submit for, they can make submissions more easily.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Job 12:
Extant: Sea Caterpillar: A variant of the sea cucumber, the Sea Caterpillars are passive creatures that walk on at least 10 legs along the seafloor and on coral. They're curious little creatures, and are often kept as pets by the Merrow people. Their diet usually consists of plantlife, much like modern-day caterpillars. Interestingly enough, despite being called "sea caterpillars", they actually do not evolve into Sea Butterflies, since as stated before, they're a variant on the sea cucumber.

Extinct: Puppeteer Crab: A now-extinct species of crab, puppeteer crabs were called so because fossil studies have found strange organs that were theorized to be used to lure prey by weaving puppets made of rock and stone and attracting prey with bewitching movements. Nobody knows why puppeteer crabs went extinct, though there were theories. The first major theory, which was swiftly disproven, was that the Merrow hunted them to extinction long ago. The second major theory, made not too long after, was that their bodies simply disagreed with Photoluciferin and as such were snuffed out once concentrations were at a level that they could not support their lives.

Job 13:
"Submit a unique weapon"
New kinds of unique weapons have been made in the real world. The Yklwa from Dungeons and Dragons. The Bat'Leth from Star Trek. And who could forget the Lightsaber? Well, this is what this job is about: inventing a trademark weapon that some soldiers of the world use.

As for the drop in participation, I think there've been some issues where people aren't getting notifications. It could be just that. I know I put it in my signature, but maybe we could also put it in our profile posts to further advertise it?

Yiptap

Smash Lord
Job 12:
Extant: Golem Urchins

A variant of urchins, these urchins look like regular old urchins with a mainly brown color scheme. The kicker is that they have the ability to sense when another Golem Urchin is nearby. Once they sense them, they come together and become a golem like creature made out of urchins, which helps them scare off predators and move more freely. Golem Urchins are also somewhat aggressive, but won't act this way unless provoked. Merrow like to eat Golem Urchins, but they cut off their spines so they can't communicate with others of their kind.

Mythical: Mini-Krakens
Basically baby Krakens. Even though they're babies, they're at least the size of a regular house, and although they're not aggressive, they are extremely feared. They are well known for finding humans and Merrow cute and making them their pet, where they kill them with affection. Literally. They'll hug their new pet, but they'll hug them so tight they suffocate. But at the end of the day, they are completely innocent and don't know any better.

Job 13: Submit a "Starter Mook" Enemy
Pretty much our Goombas and Slimes. These would appear around the starter area.

Also, I have promoted threads in the past in my profile posts, and I was able to get two new users on. I can promote this thread, if y'all want.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Extinct: Puppeteer Crab: A now-extinct species of crab, puppeteer crabs were called so because fossil studies have found strange organs that were theorized to be used to lure prey by weaving puppets made of rock and stone and attracting prey with bewitching movements. Nobody knows why puppeteer crabs went extinct, though there were theories. The first major theory, which was swiftly disproven, was that the Merrow hunted them to extinction long ago. The second major theory, made not too long after, was that their bodies simply disagreed with Photoluciferin and as such were snuffed out once concentrations were at a level that they could not support their lives.
Quick note, by "extinct" I meant "based on an extinct animal," like placoderms or mosasaurs. That said, I can accept an in-universe extinct animal this one time, since it doesn't contradict anything.
Job 12:
Extant: Golem Urchins

A variant of urchins, these urchins look like regular old urchins with a mainly brown color scheme. The kicker is that they have the ability to sense when another Golem Urchin is nearby. Once they sense them, they come together and become a golem like creature made out of urchins, which helps them scare off predators and move more freely. Golem Urchins are also somewhat aggressive, but won't act this way unless provoked. Merrow like to eat Golem Urchins, but they cut off their spines so they can't communicate with others of their kind.

Mythical: Mini-Krakens
Basically baby Krakens. Even though they're babies, they're at least the size of a regular house, and although they're not aggressive, they are extremely feared. They are well known for finding humans and Merrow cute and making them their pet, where they kill them with affection. Literally. They'll hug their new pet, but they'll hug them so tight they suffocate. But at the end of the day, they are completely innocent and don't know any better.

Job 13: Submit a "Starter Mook" Enemy
Pretty much our Goombas and Slimes. These would appear around the starter area.

Also, I have promoted threads in the past in my profile posts, and I was able to get two new users on. I can promote this thread, if y'all want.
Sure, I'm down. Any sort of publicity for this thread would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom