• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Obvious Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So, I'll keep this initial statement short.

We have seen almost entirely character choices as newcomers that, while they make a lot of sense, would not have been guessed by many.
Great job sakurai, and they are important, pats on the back.

But of course, a game cannot be expanded by these alone; surely there must be some characters that just are a given, and should be added.

Some seem so obvious that he may even be attempting to conceal them by misleading on what would be every principle, except a few key points which reveal he is indeed attempting to mislead! But this isnt a conversation about Toad and Ridley.

It is a conversation stating- there have got to be some obvious choices of characters that are just going to be in. Megaman sure, but he is third party and an exception simply for that reason, that getting confirmation of permission from any thirdparty is no guarantee. Little Mac, yes. So, one out of six?

Who has got to be in this game, they arent all for the absurd but fitting!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, this doesn't really require its own thread. What may be an obvious pick to you may not be so obvious to someone else (See Ridley)

Locked.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Anyone else still surprised that Paper Mario still isn't a character?
Or Ganon, as the Pig wizard boss from the older zeldas.
But, most obviously, K. Rool!

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Likelihood (How I currently see it) :
1. Palutena
[big gap]
2. Pac-Man
3. Chrom (w/ or w/o partner)
4. Shulk
5. Dixie
6. K Rool
7. Mewtwo
8. Isaac
9. Bowser Jr
10. Ridley
11. Ghirahim
12. Takamaru
13. Mach Rider
14. Robin
15. Chorus Men

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else still surprised that Paper Mario still isn't a character?
Or Ganon, as the Pig wizard boss from the older zeldas.
But, most obviously, K. Rool!
Yes on K. Rool, no on the other two. In a roster that already struggles from clones, another Mario or Ganon don't seem like good ideas and they don't seem like ideas that are "obvious" at all.

K. Rool also doesn't seem obvious, though. Obvious is probably Palutena and Pac-Man. Maybe Chrom too. That's it besides Mega Man and Little Mac though.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I think that's the main difference between this game and Brawl. We've basically went through a full tier list of relevant characters. Smash 4 basically is like an uncharted land in terms of "relevancy." At the start of the reveal of smash 4 characters like Little Mac, Megaman, K. Rool and Ridley were considered shoo-ins. However if we are to believe certain clues and rumors, only half of the shoo-ins actually have made it in.

Now some would consider Pac-man, Palutena, and Mii to be shoo-ins now. Really you can't disagree that there are some signs pointing to these characters. However I still wouldn't consider any characters to be obvious att. After all it's not like we haven't seen any red-hearings before. Sakurai's basically done a number on the Ridley community in this regard.

Last edited:

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Palutena and Ridley are the most obvious ones to my mind.
I haven't played Xenoblade or Golden Sun, but from what I've read on these boards I think Shulk and Isaac have strong cases.
Then again I thought the same thing about Saki or Isa Jo for Sin and Punishment.
Dixie Kong and King K.Rool are front of the queue for the DK series.

A question, since I don't remember much of the pre-Brawl campaigning:

If Namco weren't involved, would anybody here really be thinking about Pac-Man? He seems awful.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
What I meant earlier by including classic Ganon, was that they include Ganon, but with a moveset based off of magic and sword fighting, and give him a moblin like appearance. And then Ganondorf would be the humanized version who uses a brutal version of Captain Falcon's moveset.
I thought Paper Mario would be obvious because he has a few games that were wildly popular and he's still relevant with the recent release on the 3DS. The moveset potential for a paper character is enormous, paper airplanes, switching between 2D and 3D dimension, using sticker powers. It seems a good time to bring in characters introduced from the N64 era now that that system is pretty much as old as the SNES was when Brawl was released.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As far as obvious choices? Even without bringing up the Sal leak, I think Palutena, Pac-Man, and Chrom fall under this. I'd add in K. Rool, as well, considering his popularity worldwide, series importance, and the fact that the Kremlings are Smash Run enemies.

If the Sal leak is to be believed, add in Shulk, Chorus Men, and Mii.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I've very sure Palutena, Shulk and Ridley will be playable.
Followed by Issac, Takamaru, K.Rool, Chrom, Anna and Medusa.

I never fully believe in any "Leaks" but Marshall/Chrous Men don't sound like a bad Idea.

I'm on the fence with Mii but there's a strong possibility.

Also Dillon, Dillon is up there somewhere.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I honestly thought back at last E3 that the obvious options were;

Prominent Characters from already repped series who have been around for ages yet for some reason still aren't in;
Toad, Bowser Jr, Meowth, Ridley, K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ganon(maybe) etc

Latest Advertisement options of currently included characters;
Chrom, KI rep(later became obvious Palutena), Mewtwo(mega form advertisement)

Prominent IPs that have yet to get repped;
Golden Sun, Xenoblade, Punch Out(hey I got one!), Advance Wars, Chibi Robo, Rhythm Heaven(I thought Marshall) etc.

and

TRUE Legendary 3rd parties
Megaman and Pac-Man.

So far I guessed a grand total of two in Little Mac and Megaman. Whilst we've had Meowth outright deconfirmed and Toad and Ridley all but officially deconfirmed.

At this point Pac-Man is the only one on that list I'm super confident in.

Inb4 Pac Man's an obvious choice. :troll:
Pac-Man's an obvious choice. Didn't disappoint.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I think K. Rool and Andy are the two most likely newcomers, with Palutena and Isaac behind them.

Famicom Wars -> Advance Wars is the oldest nintendo series with no representation. It reps the recent AW games and gives a retro-rep to the Famicom Wars series.

K. Rool is literally the 2nd most recurring villain in Nintendo's history, is the main boss of one of nintendo's top 5 franchises, and is HEAVILY requested by the East AND West

Speculator

Smash Ace
People who spend a lot of time in certain support threads will be naturally more inclined to suggest that their supported character is an obvious choice. Some threads are tens (and in a few cases, hundreds) of pages of supporters convincing one another of that character's possibility and likelihood, when from an outside perspective it looks like they're seeing things that just aren't there. It's very difficult to look objectively at information when there's a character you just really really really wanna see, and it can be tempting to only look for arguments that support them instead of looking at the bigger picture.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
1 palutena
2 pac-man
3 chrom
4 mewtwo
5 shulk
6 ridley
7 king k rool
8 rythem heaven character (sal rumor)
9 Mach rider
10 duck hunt dog
11 takamaru
12 another zelda rep (ganondorf excluded since he's going to be fine most likely)

That's what my tier list is of most likely newcomers

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
A question, since I don't remember much of the pre-Brawl campaigning:

If Namco weren't involved, would anybody here really be thinking about Pac-Man? He seems awful.
As someone who was around for a lot of pre-Brawl stuff, yes. Pac-Man was still highly thought of.

I don't understand why people think he would be awful. Not seeing it I guess, but I think he'd do fine.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I think it's pretty obvious that we'll be seeing the Game Boy as a playable character. G&W -> ROB -> Game Boy's twenty fifth anniversary. Coincidence? I think not.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Most obvious is Chrom. Palutena is pretty much guarenteed as well, but not more so than Chrom. My definition of "Obvious" means "EVERYBODY WITH A BRAIN KNOWS IT". Zelda was the last obvious veteran in my opinion, save Jiggs. Maybe Ness and Cpt Falcon are almost obvious, but I haven't seen any stages for them, and I think we would've seen them already. I also want to put Ganondorf on this list, But I am worried the roster will be too small to fit all of these "obvious" picks.

Morbi

Scavenger
Chrom, Palutena, and Mewtwo. Ridley is another obvious one, but also a controversial one, so I am not putting him on my main list.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
It's hard to say really. So far there hasn't been many characters beyond Mega Man and Little Mac (who's more of a regional favorite) in terms of obvious choice, at least pertaining to overall expectation. But when Sakurai finally decides to show more popular additions, Palutena, Chrom, and maybe Pac-Man will be among them.

9-bit the Platyhog

Smash Rookie
NNID
UltimatePlatypus
3DS FC
2251-5555-2252
Pokemon Trainer was cut for a reason; and Sakurai confirmed that there weren't to be any transformation characters. So unless the trainer fights mano y mano; he probably isn't an ideal choice.
Oh, I never heard about transformation characters being cut (and if I did, I probably wasn't paying attention.)

Morbi

Scavenger
Oh, I never heard about transformation characters being cut (and if I did, I probably wasn't paying attention.)
Transformation characters weren't necessarily cut; Sakurai just separated Zero-Suit from Samus and Sheik from Zelda. He also confirmed solo-Charizard which indirectly confirms Pokemon Trainer's omission. However, Squirtle and Ivysaur COULD always come back as individual characters. No one finds that entirely plausible though.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
No, he did directly state that characters that used to transform no longer do.

crabsmack

Smash Cadet
I think that's the main difference between this game and Brawl. We've basically went through a full tier list of relevant characters. Smash 4 basically is like an uncharted land in terms of "relevancy." At the start of the reveal of smash 4 characters like Little Mac, Megaman, K. Rool and Ridley were considered shoo-ins. However if we are to believe certain clues and rumors, only half of the shoo-ins actually have made it in.

Now some would consider characters Pac-man, Palutena, and Mii to be shoo-ins now. Really you can't disagree that there are some signs pointing to these characters. However I still wouldn't consider any characters to be obvious att. After all it's not like we haven't seen any red-hearings before. Sakurai's basically done a number on the Ridley community.
I was thinking the same thing. Looking back at Brawl, there were a lot of REALLY obvious shoo-ins that just hadn't been added yet: Diddy, Wario, Dedede, Meta Knight, Olimar, Sonic, Pit. You could probably argue Wolf as well.

We're definitely in a different area now. The only characters that come off as obvious shoo-ins are Ridley, K-Rool, and Mewtwo, yet each one of them is controversial in their own way so I fear for their chances. I hope we get at least two from that list. Mega Man, Little Mac, and an Animal Crossing rep were also obvious but already confirmed.

Pac-Man might qualify as a shoo-in but he's a third party so there's always that element of doubt. Chrom and Palutena are likely but I don't think they can be rightfully called "obvious shoo-ins" like Ridley, K-Rool and Mewtwo.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Little Mac is the only "obvious" choice, honestly. And he's already in.

We ran out of iconic characters.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Chrom
Palutena
Mewtwo (just be too stupid not to)
Pacman (actually pretty debateable still)

If just one of these dont make it i will be extremely suprised

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Charizard never transformed into ivy or squirtle though :p
Well they don't transform but they "change", you change your character in mid battle, that's what they mean...

Chrom
Palutena
Mewtwo (just be too stupid not to)
Pacman (actually pretty debateable still)

If just one of these dont make it i will be extremely suprised
I agree but i would also add Shulk (and maybe Crom or someone else from FE)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom