Obstagoon, Joins the battle!

Pokelego999

Smash Journeyman
What is Obstagoon?
pokemon_obstagoon_2x.png

Obstagoon is a Pokémon that is set to appear in the upcoming games Pokémon Sword and Shield. It is a dark and normal type, and the evolved form of galarian linoone. It is known as the blocking Pokémon.

Why should this thing be in Smash?
Obstagoon is the first cross generational evolution (a pokemon evolution that is gained in a generation after the base pokemon is revealed in) bar the eeveelutions, to appear in more than a decade, since Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, in 2008. It is also the first pokemon to evolve specifically from a regional variant, a first, since they were added in Pokémon Sun and Moon.

Moveset
Jab:
Forward Tilt:
Down Tilt:
Up Tilt:
Forward Smash:
Down Smash:
Up Smash:
Neutral Aerial:
Forward Air;
Back Air:
Up Air:
Down Air:
Neutral Special:
Side Special:
Up Special:
Down Special: Obstruct, Obstagoon puts its arms in front of it, and if an opponent hit it during this, it will slash with its claws to attack.
Final Smash:
Up Taunt:
Down Taunt:
Side Taunt:

Do you support Obstagoon in Smash?
Supporters

Pokelego999
Some Beedrill
TooBadWaluigiTime
YoshiandToad
fogbadge
BadgerSmash
MiiFightersforSmash5
KirbSmash

Last edited:

Some Beedrill

Smash Apprentice
Could be interesting his move pool in the games consists of more interesting stuff than most rodent pokemon. It's just that my problem with it is that the design for him seems a bit janky, mostly just the head and how big it is.

I could also easily seeing this be a heavy, which the only one from Pokemon we have for that is Charizard. I support. (also it'd be kinda funny if he made it in because he is 4x weak to fighting moves)

This is actually the first Pokemon since Gen 3 that's got me even slightly excited. That's actually pretty nuts. Between him and Weezing's British form I'm now on board with Sword and Shield again.

Linoone getting an evolution, much less based on my FAVOURITE ANIMAL set in my Pokemon region equivalent is too perfect.

Obstagoon currently seems to be a character that uses a lot of counters so he may have a small overlap with Incineroar, but god damn look at this taunting, defensive, mocking badger.

I adore him.

fogbadge

Smash Hero
This is actually the first Pokemon since Gen 3 that's got me even slightly excited. That's actually pretty nuts. Between him and Weezing's British form I'm now on board with Sword and Shield again.

Linoone getting an evolution, much less based on my FAVOURITE ANIMAL set in my Pokemon region equivalent is too perfect.

Obstagoon currently seems to be a character that uses a lot of counters so he may have a small overlap with Incineroar, but god damn look at this taunting, defensive, mocking badger.

I adore him.
your region equivalent? youre british too?

anyway i think i can get on board with obstagoon in smash hes pretty cool

your region equivalent? youre british too?

anyway i think i can get on board with obstagoon in smash hes pretty cool
Yep, English here. Don't hold that against me though!

Obstagoon interestingly has had Linoone retconned and his Galar line is referred to as the original of the species, making it the second Pokemon ever to be retconned as the original look(Aloan Exeggutor being the first) with a previous form being the subspecies.

He's also the first form exclusive evolution we've ever recieved...I'm interested in seeing his stats since Hoenn's Linoone was one of the few 'Rattata tier' Pokemon who seemed surprisingly powerful for such a common mon.

BadgerSmash

Smash Rookie
Definitely supporting this thread. Obstagoon is my now favorite pokemon, who evolved from a regional variant of my former favorite pokemon, who was based on my favorite animal. This thread gets my 100% support.

fogbadge

Smash Hero
Yep, English here. Don't hold that against me though!

Obstagoon interestingly has had Linoone retconned and his Galar line is referred to as the original of the species, making it the second Pokemon ever to be retconned as the original look(Aloan Exeggutor being the first) with a previous form being the subspecies.

He's also the first form exclusive evolution we've ever recieved...I'm interested in seeing his stats since Hoenn's Linoone was one of the few 'Rattata tier' Pokemon who seemed surprisingly powerful for such a common mon.
oh i couldnt hold such a thing against a fellow toad fan, also i get what you were saying about your favourite animal cause mine's in sword a shield too (though there aint a whole lot of scotland)

i think the exeggutor thing was that alolans considered this its true form rather than the original

but anyway itll be interesting to see whats in store for obstagoon, willing to bet the leader of team yell will have one, and to see what other galar forms have new evolution (ive heard a rumour for one) and if any of them have a new unevolved form

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
If Sakurai WERE to make another smash game after ultimate. . .

This would be a good idea to include this pokemon;

That being said however, I don't think right now is quite the best time to include it; when he's already planned out every fighter for SSBU, Including DLC. . .

fogbadge

Smash Hero
If Sakurai WERE to make another smash game after ultimate. . .

This would be a good idea to include this pokemon;

That being said however, I don't think right now is quite the best time to include it; when he's already planned out every fighter for SSBU, Including DLC. . .
no harm in talking about how he might play though

Pokelego999

Smash Journeyman
So I think I figured out his down special. I'm making his signature move obstruct be that. It will basically be a counter.
imagesVTNJT42U.jpg

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Journeyman
I can actually see Obstagoon making the cut for Pokken 2 if we ever get a sequel.

On the topic of Obstagoon and Smash: if you were to redesign the Pokemon side of the roster, who would you have?
Yah obstagoon in pokken 2 would make sense (if pokken 2 will be made)
My roster has the old pokes plus these guys
Aipom
Eevee
Melmetal
Meowth
Obstagoon (Obviously)
Necrozma
Plusle and Minun
Sceptile
Snivy
Snorlax
Wurmple
Victini
Suicune
Zeraora
Gossifluer (My friends want, included it here just because)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Hero
I can actually see Obstagoon making the cut for Pokken 2 if we ever get a sequel.

On the topic of Obstagoon and Smash: if you were to redesign the Pokemon side of the roster, who would you have?
Hmm, quilava, dewott, pikachu, xatu, mimikyu, hawlucha and beartic I think

May think of some more

Last edited: