• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Obscure useful tech - Marcina Grab release/Dthrow - UpB/ShDair

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Nothing new here, just talking general meta.

Marcina Grab release.
Is it useless? Not in my opinion.
Even if someone breaks grab release into shield, a Marcina player can read the option and pressure shield.

One good thing is that usually Marth/Lucina players should be grabbing more anyway, since shieldbreaker is useless and shield beats Marcina and I'm only slightly joking.
Another strength of using grab release is that the meta hasn't adjusted to it, so few people will have optimal strategies against it.
It's a good cheese tool at ledge because it releases in perfect range for Marcina's frame 5(I think) Up B.

Dthrow into UpB

It's a combo almost all the time until very high percents. A bad option for characters with ability to punish your decent, like Ike's side b for example. Also, Dthrow to UpB seems avoidable if they simply DI away from Marth.
Still, I find it useful in many MUs.

Rising ShortHop Dair

Versus many MUs, RisingShDair is under-utilized.
Sh Dair shifts Marcina's hurt box to either dodge Samus charge shot for all but of few frames of vulnerability or the Dair obliterates Charge Shot entirely. For example, Mr E's recent match with Joker's Samus involved many standing ChargeShots and situations where a ledge-jump to Dair would have been the best recovery option.

Do you have any tech that you think is underused by Marth/Lucina?

Last edited:

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
On the rising SH Dair you can run > turn around > sh dair to get the dair come out from the other side first which can be very useful

I think shield breaker is great for the tech chase roll in, or jump > angle down when edgeguarding

I'll have to try out dthrow > upb sounds good

Top Bottom