• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Obscure Games Thread

D

Deleted member

I have a couple ideas for threads like these, so gonna start with one of the few I feel confident in saying it won’t get pulled to another dimension in the process of making it.
Also so I can branch out a bit and work on writing which is something I really need to do anyway and staying at home hasn't exactly helped that lol.
(god why am I so bad at intros?)
So then, without further ado,
welcome to the Obscure Games thread!
Before we can begin to share our favorite obscure games, I’m going to need to differentiate between online-only games and single/multiplayer games partially because that means I can type more and make the intro post longer(lol) and also because the difference between "being obscure" between the two is different enough I feel they need separate categories.

For Single Players Games:

1. -Must not have a very active or otherwise dead community(very few videos on the game, very little overall community on social platforms, etc. Bakugan for example fits that bill)
  2. -I can’t think of anything else lol

For Online-only games:

1. -Must still be playable to this day(If I can’t make an account right now and play a game due to any circumstance it’s not really a game anymore. More like an archive)
  2. -Developers ignore or otherwise actively make decisions that hurt the community(lack of updates or transparency for example)

If I think of anything else I’ll add it to the list, but for right now that’s all I got.
Now your game doesn’t necessarily have to be exactly this, because these are mainly just rule of thumbs for determining if a game is obscure. The biggest indicator is if there are very few videos online about a game, or otherwise are of low quality, which indicates that a community isn’t very big.

Now that we have the thumbs laid out somewhat, now I’m going to diverge a bit and talk about my favorite obscure game(s). I’ll avoid spoilers as much as I can but do be warned if you click those spoiler tags that there are going to be many. Many spoilers.

So, my most favorite obscure game of them all, eh? For those that know me from my last account it may seem obvious that I'm just going to talk about my favorite card game and call it a day. I'm happy to say those that though that, are wrong.
My favorite obscure game, of course, is an MMORPG I hold dear to my heart, and one I recently started replaying a few weeks ago:
https://www.reddit.com/r/privatesubforme/comments/hpant4
If you don't know what this is, don't worry, I'll get into it.
As of right now, Pirate101 is slowly losing players: hell even I only starting replaying it due to nostalgia. But hoo boy, it and it's older brother Wizard101 are some of the most unique MMOs I've ever played.
I'm going to do the rest of this in spoilers due to me getting into the plot details(and also so this post isn't ridiculously long)
To start off, both Pirate101 and Wizard101 take place in the same general universe: The Spiral. It's hard to explain without giving away massive spoilers, but think of a Milky Way Galaxy with various small self-contained planets floating in its orbit. That's essentially what the Spiral is.
You have worlds such as Wizard City: a bumbling place of magic where Wizards converge, Valencia, A formerly glorious empire shattered to pieces by the ulterior motives of their puppets, the Armada. You have Cool Ranch, a western inspired land of lawlessness, Bison tribes feuding against one another, and the chickens that call this place home. I could easily write an entire essay on just the world themselfs! But that's besides the point.
Wizard101 in particular focuses heavily on the worldbuilding of the Spiral, due to the fact the Player Wizard(I'll get into that later) saves the Spiral from destruction multiple times! While the Player Pirate only does so once, and against a enemy who would pose literally no threat to the Player Wizard.
The thing about the Spiral that makes it so unique is how it was made. The Spiral was a mistake. Originally, there was "The First World" that at some point or another was broken apart and then formed the Spiral due to the Elder Tree, Bartley, holding the pieces of the First World together in a spiral shape.(haven't played enough Wizard101 to get to that point)
Furthermore, you can travel between these worlds(obviously). In Wizard101 all you need is a key designed with that world in mind, and a Spiral Door(A door designed to open portals to the various worlds) In Pirate101 however, you need to find a Stormgate(a giant vortex of sorts that appear in various places throughout the Skyways) and have a windstone that corresponds to it. If you don't your ship will just crash and you'll die. Oh yeah did I mention that ships "FLY" the seas, and not "sail" them? It's true!
https://www.reddit.com/r/privatesubforme/comments/hpatpe There also are "Windlanes" which is Pirate101's version of safe zones. All manner of hostile ships and creatures will not attack you while you're in one, and you'll move automatically while in one. Which is nice. However I've started to get a bit sidetracked, so moving on...
Unlike literally every other MMO I've played, Pirate and Wiz have a cohesive narrative built into the game. Hell in some MMO's I've literally found myself being able to skip the entire story and go to endgame areas right after finishing the tutorial sometimes! But back to the point. Both Wiz and Pirate take place at roughly the same time, meaning you can draw a rough timeline(using the levels you enter and exit various worlds as a sort of time passing equivalent) and references are made often to places you only see in Wiz and vice versa. As such, there are two distinct canonically "different" characters you play as in terms of the lore: the Player Wizard, and the Player Pirate, both being silent protagonists in-game but being very strong and spoken in the lore.
To give an example of a reference to Wizard101 in Pirate101, in Xol Akuma(the last free to play area of Pirate101) you find the Azetosaurs, an ancient race from a forgotten land, fleeing something called.. The Lords of Night. It just so happens this Lord of Night is known as Morgantha in Wiz, and is the main antagonist of the second arc! Another example is the Ravenwood Roll Call videos, posted on Kingsiles official Youtube account, which are considering canon. According to them, some Professors in Wiz(such as the Storm Professor) Were born and raised in places we visit in Pirate101!
One of my favorite things about the story of both games is how it's presented: You go from place to place, fighting off enemies and collecting things you need along the way. But oftentimes in the background there are things that while we never see are very important to the story. You will often find that something YOU did in a world ages ago completely changes how NPCS interact with you, and on one occasion you even start a fake war that explodes into a real one causing you to have to make things right. There aren't really any examples I can give you that wouldn't ruin some plots of either game, unfortunately.
I'm going to focus only on Pirate101 for this one since that was the game I chose, while Wizard101 is only more important for that sick L O R E.
To start off, you can pick one of 5 classes, each with their own unique strengths and weakness. You also pick an origin story and how your parents died. Your origin gives you a small buff in a specific stat while the story of how your parents died affects a specific companion you get later on. Speaking of...
https://www.reddit.com/r/privatesubforme/comments/hpb2x5 Companions are essentially units that appear with you in battle, up to 3 at a time. They often have special abilities and can easily turn the tide of battle if used right.

Battling takes place on a grid-style turn based combat system, with you and your companions going first, being able to move or use abilities before your opponents attack, and then you repeat that process until one of the two sides fall. It's a very interesting system where you have to balance between who attacks who in order to maximize damage while also trying to prevent you from losing the numbers advantage.
https://www.reddit.com/r/privatesubforme/comments/hpb548
You gain companions throughout the story and they often act as the voice in your steed, and a decent chunk also "Promote" at certain levels, gaining new powers and animations. Most Companions simply require you to give you gold but story-relevant companions have quests that you need to complete before they promote, which is a nice take on the idea of upgrading that I haven't seen in other games.
Overall Pirate101 is a fantastic game, which sadly is losing players by the day. The tie-in with Wizard101 is one of the best ways I've seen lore done in a MMO and the humor is genuinely funny at times, and the story while often happy-go lucky gets dark very quickly towards the second half. It's sad too, because it's always held a dear place in my heart. The devs straight up only do yearly updates now when in the past we used to get 4 updates a year, and the last major story update was a joke of an update where they just lazily ended the first arc after the planned next 5 chapters started going downhill in development. And on the other side of the fence Wizard101 is thriving with content updates every few months. Doesn't help that both it and Wiz have a $10 MEMBERSHIP fee to even play a decent chunk of the game, and $80 for a year is apparently the best deal?! In all fairness if Kingsisle dropped the yearly price down to $60 I would at least say it's worth it due to the amount of content you get but $80 dollars is literally just a rip off at that point. In addition they have a crown shop which is there premium currency, which even as a kid made no sense to me because at that point why not just make the game free-to-play and let people spending money on Crowns be the driving income? But to conclude, Pirate101 while it has it's downfalls is still a great game, and I recommend you at least try the free-to-play portain of the game, if nothing else.

Welp that was a doozy of a writing session lol. I'm curious to see what kind of games people like that others may or may not of heard of. Let's have a go at it, shall we?

Last edited by a moderator:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
This is such a fun topic. I have some hidden gems I want to talk about.

Vectorman - A little series on the Sega Genesis that didn't get a lot of attention. Sure it is on a lot of the Sega Genesis compilations but barely anyone brings it up. It's a charming game with responsive controls, great sprite art, satisfying sound effects as you blow up stuff and defeat enemies, interesting level designs that take advantage of both horizontal and vertical space, and a good soundtrack. It's one of my favorite Sega Genesis games and it deserves more love.

War of the Monsters - A classic game from the PS2 where you play as a giant monster beating up other giant monsters in fully destructible environments and using various objects from the stage to your advantage. Even with it being ported to the PS3 and the PS4, it doesn't get much attention which is a shame. It's a giant monster movie fan's dream. The loading screens show fictional giant monster movie posters, the music is reminiscent of 50s horror movies which the game is based on, and even the main menu is a drive-in movie theater. The monster designs are great and everyone of them is memorable with their own moves and attributes. I absolutely adore this game and I wish it either got a sequel or remake.

Peter Jackson's King Kong Game - To me, this is hands down the best movie-based game. For one the game is incredibly cinematic. There is no HUD at all. You have to press a button to check how much ammo you have and you can only pick up at the most a spear and a gun. You play as both Jack and King Kong and both of them provide great gameplay segments. The levels with Jack are often intense and feel like a survival horror game. For example in one level you have fend off a V-Rex (an advanced form of T-Rex) while stuck in a small space and waiting for two people to open a gate. Even with raptors that you can kill to distract the V-Rex with, it's still intense. The King Kong levels often have you navigate the terrain by climbing and grabbing onto branches to propel you further. The combat is simple but satisfying with meaty sound effects and vibration, giving you the sense that you really are punching a dinosaur and cracking their mouths.

Going back to the cinematic experience, what really helps is that the game barely has any cutscenes. There is a 5 second clip in between each level and a few actual cutscenes. Other than those occasions, you are entirely in control of Jack throughout the entire game. There are moments where in most other games, they would stop you and make you stand still and look in a particular direction, whereas in this game when something happens like when someone gets suddenly attacked or a V-Rex comes into the area, you are in control and can immediately react to the situation. What helps is that the game is beautiful. I have the game on Gamecube and for the time it looks pretty good with some locations and shots even being downright gorgeous with lighting and smooth animations. It makes you feel like you are partaking in a movie which is no surprise when you find out that Peter Jackson himself was closely involved with the game. It's one of my favorite games and I can play it practically whenever.

Hulk Ultimate Destruction - Hulk is my favorite superhero and this is undoubtedly the best Hulk game. Everything about the gameplay is top-notch and it makes you feel like the Hulk. You have all kinds of abilities such as being able to break a car in half and use it as boxing gloves. Other abilities include catching projectiles then throwing them back at the enemy or reflecting the projectile by punching it, grabbing tanks by the barrel and spinning then throwing it, impaling enemies with things like poles which can make them get stuck to buildings so you can pummel them more, grabbing helicopters and either dragging it to the ground or kicking it into another helicopter, you can grab enemies and either take them for a ride by jumping and slamming them on the ground which causes both of you to ricochet for more air time or simply doing a single jump and performing a single powerful slam on their head, and you can either do a powerful Hulk Smash! or clap to destroy everything in a multi-block radius.

As if all that ain't awesome enough, you can perform all kinds of combos and going back to the car thing you can do similar stuff such as breaking off missile packs from military vehicles and using the missiles by throwing them, and you can slam certain ball objects to use them as a bowling ball. All of this wouldn't be as awesome if it wasn't for the amazing sound effects. The developers took sound clips of actual cars being crushed, fruit being smashed, etc and they used those clips for the combat and omg it makes the combat so much more satisfying. Every punch, jump, and slam has impact and the sounds combined with controller vibration makes it feel like you are actually smashing stuff. It's awesome! This is my fifth favorite game mostly for the gameplay alone but the story and voice acting is also quite good.

I've got other games to discuss but I think I've gone on long enough. I might make another post in the future.

Top Bottom