• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Obesity

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
Disclaimer: This thread discussion is in no way intended to shame anyone for their own personal habits/medical conditions, and any remarks intended to belittle or shame one's physical stature/mental disposition will NOT be tolerated. If you intend to participate in the discussion please be respectful to other users and do your best to contain negative emotions during rebuttals.

I noticed this forum has yet to address something we experience in everyday life whether directly or indirectly, Obesity.
I intend to have this thread used to discuss various aspects to include: Medical Discussion (conditions, Obesity rates), Finance, Movements (HAES "Health At Every Size", Fat Acceptance), Media portrayal, and shaming.

First the definition of Obesity both medically and common.

O-Be-Si-Ty (n): the condition of being grossly fat or overweight.
Obesity is defined as excess adipose tissue. There are several different methods for determining excess adipose (fat) tissue; the most common being the Body Mass Index (BMI) and is classified by having a BMI of 30% or greater. BMI is calculated by dividing a person's body weight in kilograms by their height in meters squared. This however can be inaccurate for those that are very muscular, and pregnant/lactating women.

Links:

Risks involved with being Overweight: http://www.obesityaction.org/understanding-obesity/related-conditions

How Testosterone affects Weight: http://www.healthline.com/health/low-testosterone/effects-on-body

How Estrogen affects Weight: http://www.metaboliceffect.com/female-hormones-estrogen/

Global Obesity Rate: http://www.worldobesity.org/aboutobesity/world-map-obesity/ (Some are very old and outdated but for the majority the last sample taken was 2012 with we had a 33.5 to 35.8 Male to Female overweight ratio in the U.S)

Financial aspects: Global (Taken in 2014, and I don't know if you trust CNN or not) http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/20/news/economy/fat-obesity-costs-mckinsey-report/

U.S http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html (2008), http://stateofobesity.org/healthcare-costs-obesity/

HAES: http://www.haescommunity.org/

Fat Acceptance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_acceptance_movement, http://ineedfatacceptance.tumblr.com/ (Bad sources, I know sorry)

I'll voice my opinion sometime later on within the thread if it picks up more revenue.

Last edited:

Aidan25

Smash Cadet
NNID
Aidan
3DS FC
0361-7892-7562
Some people choose to be obese because they like food with sugar in it or like to eat food in large amounts, more than the average slim person. Food is tasty, don't get me wrong but people who are obese clearly have an obsession. For some reason, some people are happy with being obese and that is somewhat a good thing in my opinion but the day it starts adversely affecting their body, that's when it's time to change and knock down on the fatty foods. I know that there are probably some conditions where food is needed to be digested in large amounts but if you're just doing it because you can't help yourself, you should probably stop.

It's also very expensive if all your income is going towards large amounts of food, especially if you have a family to look after or you have weekly expenses that must be paid or else. Why wouldn't you want to keep it for a holiday you're saving up for or Christmas presents for your children? Money can be used more wisely than to fund your obsessive eating habits.

I've met some really nice people who are overweight and because of their friendly and caring nature, no one gives them **** about it. The first few times you see them, you think about how they are obese in an implicit manner and how they should probably do something about it but as you grow more fond of them (if they are friendly and not volatile), the fact that they are obese becomes irrelevant because you appreciate them for who they are. According to someone like a nutritionist, this may be the wrong thing to do but I believe it is morally correct as everyone deserves to be treated equally. Would you want to be called out in public by someone because you're fat? No. You'd be completely demoralised.

I'd never want to be fat because carrying around a large belly is not something I'd like to do. It'd be tiring walking around feeling like you're going to fall over all the time because you can't keep balance. I eat food in moderation but I'm actually pretty skinny and don't really put on weight if I eat a lot so I guess I'm lucky in that sense. I'd also feel sick all the time if I eat a lot of food in quick succession so that's another reason why I wouldn't want to be obese as well. You make choices in life and if you choose to eat a lot and not care about your health, so be it, you've only got yourself to blame once you realise it was a bad idea to begin with.

Last edited:

Aracily

Smash Rookie
Everyone's body processes things differently. My brother has a faster metabolism then me so he can eat like 4 big macs and not gain a single pound. However, when I eat the same thing I'll feel like I gained 5 pounds in one day... Dunno why our bodies are so weird and different from each-other but it makes things very difficult for certain people; ex: people trying to loose weight or gain weight. I've known this girl since Kindergarten who was always struggling with Obesity but she was the sweetest girl ever. Growing up and seeing her around I didn't see a change and she would even tell me she would "try" but it wouldn't work out and she rather wait to get surgery or something. Yes there are risks of being Obese, but she is a very happy and always been a healthy girl. You can still maintain a proper diet when you are obese.

Not all of us have the dedication to do something which obviously affects the obesity population. I honestly find it disgusting when people body shame though. fat, skinny, short, tall, chubby, who cares just do whatever makes you happy!

Last edited:

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
Some people choose to be obese because they like food with sugar in it or like to eat food in large amounts, more than the average slim person. Food is tasty, don't get me wrong but people who are obese clearly have an obsession.
Everyone's body processes things differently. My brother has a faster metabolism then me so he can eat like 4 big macs and not gain a single pound. However, when I eat the same thing I'll feel like I gained 5 pounds in one day...
Your first statement has some truth to it, as well as some falsity. That being that while yes the obese tend to have larger/poorer eating habits than the normal slim person there's a scientific reason behind their obsession (Not to say they cannot fix it). I'll kill two birds with one stone for this. Let me first explain the difference between men & women, hormones actually play a large factor in weight gain/loss. Testosterone is aided with not only protein synthesis and muscle growth but directly contribute to metabolism as well which is why Men tend to not gain as much weight, on the flip side is Estrogen while capable of high metabolism is not as effective as Testosterone. The biggest part of Estrogen is the increased functional use of insulin (Which decreases blood sugar levels) however with higher levels of Estrogen (makes it worse with contraceptives), you develop insulin resistance because the Estrogen exhausts the Beta-Cells through over-stimulation causing your Insulin to become less effective leading to Obesity and eventually type 2 diabetes and heart disease.

Now to address Aidan's response of Obsession. Whether you're a bodybuilder, physically active, or not at all your body has a dependency on food in direct response to not only the energy you use but the amount nutrients your body needs to distribute depending on your size. So when your body doesn't have enough nutrients to sustain itself you become hungry and take nutrients from your fat stores. While of course they don't need nearly as much as they consume, the reason why diets and watching your intake works is because you're literally getting your body adjusted to taking less nutrients than you already have and you shrink/grow proportionately. This matters because Obese people literally NEED more food just to support their massive being and the obsession factor come in through excessive gorging.
It's also very expensive if all your income is going towards large amounts of food, especially if you have a family to look after or you have weekly expenses that must be paid or else. Why wouldn't you want to keep it for a holiday you're saving up for or Christmas presents for your children? Money can be used more wisely than to fund your obsessive eating habits.
This has as much to do with one's personal resolve on spending habits as well as dependency. One thing I noticed with statements such as this is that Obese people tend to perceive it less as an alternative suggestion but rather a derogatory harassment. The problem with the argument isn't that it doesn't make sense it's that you inadvertently put yourself on a pedestal telling them that they're worthless for not being able to control their urges, almost in a parent-child reprimand relationship. It looks like you're not offering help but rather shaming them.
I've met some really nice people who are overweight and because of their friendly and caring nature, no one gives them **** about it. The first few times you see them, you think about how they are obese in an implicit manner and how they should probably do something about it but as you grow more fond of them (if they are friendly and not volatile), the fact that they are obese becomes irrelevant because you appreciate them for who they are. According to someone like a nutritionist, this may be the wrong thing to do but I believe it is morally correct as everyone deserves to be treated equally. Would you want to be called out in public by someone because you're fat? No. You'd be completely demoralised.
I've known this girl since Kindergarten who was always struggling with Obesity but she was the sweetest girl ever. Growing up and seeing her around I didn't see a change and she would even tell me she would "try" but it wouldn't work out and she rather wait to get surgery or something. Yes there are risks of being Obese, but she is a very happy and always been a healthy girl.
Here lies the heart of the problem, everyone should be treated like a human being there's no doubt about it. Respect is something that everyone inherently deserve no matter what body type they carry. While I'm aware that not everyone openly shames and ridicules fat people in real life like the do on the internet(which I believe is unacceptable. When it comes to being looked at differently or judged by someone else, is it not the Obese person's fault for getting such garnered attention? NOW HOLD ON BEFORE YOU COME AT ME LOL. Human nature and psych is to challenge/be confused by that which we do not understand or believe to be wrong. Aidan said it himself how when you first see a obese person you think about how they are obese in an implicit manner, is this not the same as when you discover young adolescents already homeless or more extreme you witness someone being *****/murdered. In modern society we've found a lot of the intricacies of nutrition and exercise that even with medical conditions it's still possible to keep a healthy weight despite your implications. Now that doesn't mean you shouldn't have the right to be fat, go ahead it's your body but is it morally correct to let someone continue to (quite literally) kill themselves by ignorance of the fact or is it morally correct to provide correction information and harsh truth?

Last edited:

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
Obesity is a reflection of underlying anxiety which fuels an addiction to sugar. Excess fat (relative to metabolism) and anxiety are proportional.
I'm completely aware of the medical aspect of fructose, sugar, and how your body has to deal with processing of said chemicals. However your statement infers that every obese person rely on a sugar addiction due to underlying (Might as well be undefined since everyone is different) anxiety about something. I don't believe all fat people have anxiety issues, and people don't form addictions just because of reasons like that anyway. I'm sure that there are more than enough Obese people who became that way simply because they enjoy eating without moderation with little to no exercise. I understand that Obese People are 25% more likely to develop depression from poor self-image, low self-esteem, and social isolation but is that not a problem ingrained into society rather than one's personal struggle? If that's the case wouldn't it also mean that most Obese people become the catalyst for their own depression rather than having aforementioned anxiety? I know everyone leads different lives and at times find comfort in food in order to sooth pain but you also have to look at the monumental amount of weight one has to gain to be considered Obese because I guarantee it takes much longer than a few months to enter that classification. The range between "Good Health & Average Health" to being "Overweight & Obese"
Males: Good & Average BF%: 11-20% Overweight:21-24% Obese: x>24%
Females: Good & Average BF%: 16-30% Overweight:31-36% Obese:x>36%
Average Male Height Global: 5'9
Average Female Height Global: 5'4 1/2
Normal Weight for 5'9 128 - 168 lbs Obese - 203 - 263 lbs
Normal Weight for 5'4 - 110 - 144 Obese - 174 - 227 lbs
Let's say that 70% of the global population is somewhere between normal weight.
5'9: 148 lbs
5'4: 127 lbs
So the average person based on height would have to gain 57lbs of additional fat to be considered obese. Not everyone deals with issues the same way but no matter how you look at it, gaining 57lbs isn't something that can be done quickly. Anxiety isn't easily diagnosed and often times is dispelled with simple human communication so even with slight mood curves being a reason for seeking food as comfort USUALLY people don't gain 57lbs worth because of it.

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
There's also something to be said for low intelligence as it relates to obesity. Duller individuals possess diminished capacity to defer gratification and are less receptive to gradual degradation.

Only 1% of people who lose excess weight keep it off for more than a year (according to a British study). Here's another similar study.

Once somebody has become morbidly obese it will show on their body for the rest of their life irrespective of future weight loss. Loose skin can be removed, though the scars are permanent.

Last edited:

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
While I do agree that most individuals have a very small understanding of what obesity is, I wouldn't say it's just the duller individuals who fall into that category because the main push for non-obesity in society seems to be more focused on physical attractive appearance rather than Health. Most advertisements push "get skinny today" rather than "Stop destroying your organs" and while it is the individual's fault for no further;a lot of people tend to follow fraudulent diet plans which only produce minor results through guidance rather than individual understanding. Weight loss is still very monotonous when one typically follows a pattern of excessive consumption even if one has proper knowledge on the subject. The main problem with people who tend to regain weight can be attributed to those who either attempt to go for extreme malnourished diets i.e 6kcal to 2kcal a day or those who don't understand that it's a progression and you will stop seeing immediate results through minor dedication.
While Loose Skin & Scaring are still shown on the body after extreme weight loss outside there's just as direct a reflection on the inside as well.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/70/93/cd/7093cdf0812469f2ebd67d4e9e4959f4.jpg

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I'll throw my own .2 into the pond here.

My take on obestiy is this. Think of the holidays confectionery companies are sending sweets out in droves (yes Hershey's and Nestle are guilty as charged). Halloween, Christmas, New Years ,and Easter (if you are religious in that way) are the holiday's that really pack on the pounds. Putting less emphasis on so many sweets would help.

As a general rule of thumb, Americans should look to how the Japanese eat (the Japanese live a hell of a long time, so there must be something working) and work off of that, slowly doing away with the fattening institutions that are popular fast food chains.

Doing away with fast food chains (in a reasonable amount of time), as well as regulating sweets and how much they sell, would help curb obesity. Other than that, you have individuals who are too busy in their daily lives, to acknowledge what they're putting in their bodies, especially those who aren't the most physical in their work (that Starbucks mocha is at least 500 extra calories).

There is something to be said for gaming as well, when it comes to obesity. Sure, companies like Nintendo have put out Wii Fit (remember when fitness centers went gaga over that?), and tried marketing wireless consoles as a way to get more physical in gaming but ultimately, it fell flat on its face. But rather than just bashing a company (which does nothing), I rather suggest gaming companies come up with games that can get the player engaged, just about as much as the character in the game physically, or make it a requirement in the controls.

Maybe issue a SG's warning on sugar, clear where the average consumer can see it. I think curbing obesity rates requires the following (and not just public outreach):
1. Doing away ultimately with fast food chains.
2. Reducing the amount of sweets and junk food sold in the US.
3. Encourage gaming companies to develop games that require gamers to be more physical.
4. Become more active in warning against the dangers of sugar on a big scale.

There's my .2. Maybe Squirtle can fetch em now.

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
Holiday traditions gather people together in a mutually jovial environment for the purpose of relaxation and comfort to include food but I hardly see that as a direct problem. One assumes that a person gains weight during holidays because it's widely accepted as a "alteration" from a traditional diet (2kcal a day). Sweets aren't the sole benefactor of weight gain albeit the large contribution it makes. Modern Media constantly has suggested against the consumption of sugar therefore the fault lies upon the individual, one cannot possibly claim ignorance towards sugar. I think a bigger problem is our countries excessive consumption of carbohydrates and grains. Consider the fact that we aren't an overly impoverish country, it's not a necessity for our citizens to consume grains for the purpose of filling our stomachs from a smaller amount for energy yet until very recently grains were considered the bulk of the American diet (see 1992 Food Pyramid), why? One could say that previous to commonplace technology people were more physically inclined, one could argue as you said yourself the rapid proliferation of "fattening institutions that are popular fast food chains" as well.

I wouldn't attribute the Japanese to having a less fattening culture as several of their more well-known meals are extremely unhealthy but more a direct influence of the capability of production, fish being the primary source of protein rather than red meat (monumentally heavier for digestion) as well as the pressures of society. Without a doubt the pressure to become what society deems "successful (in this case, acceptable)" is much higher in Asian countries versus our own;people aren't awarded as much time to sit around which in turns as you said "How Japanese people eat" of not nearly as high a consumption rate.

I'll just add the rest to my next reply.

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Holiday traditions gather people together in a mutually jovial environment for the purpose of relaxation and comfort to include food but I hardly see that as a direct problem. One assumes that a person gains weight during holidays because it's widely accepted as a "alteration" from a traditional diet (2kcal a day). Sweets aren't the sole benefactor of weight gain albeit the large contribution it makes. Modern Media constantly has suggested against the consumption of sugar therefore the fault lies upon the individual, one cannot possibly claim ignorance towards sugar. I think a bigger problem is our countries excessive consumption of carbohydrates and grains. Consider the fact that we aren't an overly impoverish country, it's not a necessity for our citizens to consume grains for the purpose of filling our stomachs from a smaller amount for energy yet until very recently grains were considered the bulk of the American diet (see 1992 Food Pyramid), why? One could say that previous to commonplace technology people were more physically inclined, one could argue as you said yourself the rapid proliferation of "fattening institutions that are popular fast food chains" as well.

I wouldn't attribute the Japanese to having a less fattening culture as several of their more well-known meals are extremely unhealthy but more a direct influence of the capability of production, fish being the primary source of protein rather than red meat (monumentally heavier for digestion) as well as the pressures of society. Without a doubt the pressure to become what society deems "successful (in this case, acceptable)" is much higher in Asian countries versus our own;people aren't awarded as much time to sit around which in turns as you said "How Japanese people eat" of not nearly as high a consumption rate.

I'll finish my response a little later
When the "Traditional" diet is mentioned, it really comes down to being a myth, that one "needs" 2,000 calories to properly function on a daily basis. And yes, I remember those food pyramids quite well from my grade school years. One could argue that we can live quite nicely in a bracket of 1300-1700 calories, replacing lunch with a quick snack (such as an apple).

Coming down harder, with stricter regulations on how Nabisco, Hershey's, Nestle, Frito Lay, and Kraft as how they develop their foods, would help. And as you made the point in your post about accessibility, if extremely fatty foods don't exist, they cannot be obtained by the general public. Its not just holidays though, think of the Super Bowl season for instance, where the tortilla and potato chips are sent out in droves (mainly because Pepsi has a close relationship with the NFL).

Society in itself, even for those who are not obese, needs to be changed if a truly effective method against obesity will work. And fish over other types of meat (beef, chicken, pork, turkey) can be quite healthy, along with the significant reduction in calories that fish brings over a product that contains chicken (such as chicken pot pie, which normally contains 32g of fat and 600 calories per serving, not meal but serving). Nutritionists may try to argue otherwise, but carnivores will find a way to adapt.

So to recap:
Putting stricter rules and heavy pressure on candy/snack food companies and the ingredients they use will help. Yes, that goes for Little Debbie and Hostess as well.

Replacing other types of meat entirely with fish or beans, both containing a less caloric intake, will help.

Society will need to change and adapt if we truly want to combat obesity, this includes the marketing and promotion of food and how media treats the idea of food.

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
There is something to be said for gaming as well, when it comes to obesity. Sure, companies like Nintendo have put out Wii Fit (remember when fitness centers went gaga over that?), and tried marketing wireless consoles as a way to get more physical in gaming but ultimately, it fell flat on its face. But rather than just bashing a company (which does nothing), I rather suggest gaming companies come up with games that can get the player engaged, just about as much as the character in the game physically, or make it a requirement in the controls.
I feel those games felt flat on their face because the approach towards physical fitness in their modules were boring. The games all tend to be over simplified mock versions of an actual physical activity which in turn isn't fitness. Games will never be be able to subsequently replace that; the only possible cardiovascular oriented game to achieve increased heart rate and body productivity is Dance Dance Revolution and that's only on higher difficulties with hours of dedication. Of course any desire to change body structure will fall flat on it's face if one doesn't take care of their diet besides possible muscular building. I really enjoy your idea of getting companies to create games with players more engaged but that's far from likely to happen anytime soon. Perhaps through increased development of the Oculus Rift/VR to register actual nerve reactions (use of a stationary moving platform similar to a treadmill to incorporate full body movement) however I don't see that fully happening either. The average physical fitness level in all countries as you're aware is declining, to require a player to get engaged as fully a character in a video game just isn't ideal. It would eventually lead to potential lawsuits of over-exertion of one's physical body to lead to Heart Attack, Shock, etc and a disclaimer/dis-inclusion of the majority of players isn't marginally profitable either.
Maybe issue a SG's warning on sugar, clear where the average consumer can see it. I think curbing obesity rates requires the following (and not just public outreach):
1. Doing away ultimately with fast food chains.
2. Reducing the amount of sweets and junk food sold in the US.
4. Become more active in warning against the dangers of sugar on a big scale.

Coming down harder, with stricter regulations on how Nabisco, Hershey's, Nestle, Frito Lay, and Kraft as how they develop their foods, would help. And as you made the point in your post about accessibility, if extremely fatty foods don't exist, they cannot be obtained by the general public. Its not just holidays though, think of the Super Bowl season for instance, where the tortilla and potato chips are sent out in droves (mainly because Pepsi has a close relationship with the NFL).

Society in itself, even for those who are not obese, needs to be changed if a truly effective method against obesity will work. And fish over other types of meat (beef, chicken, pork, turkey) can be quite healthy, along with the significant reduction in calories that fish brings over a product that contains chicken (such as chicken pot pie, which normally contains 32g of fat and 600 calories per serving, not meal but serving). Nutritionists may try to argue otherwise, but carnivores will find a way to adapt.

Oh how I wish our country could push for stricter regulation on the development of private company food without the infraction of freedom. Over the last decade our species has made a tremendous amount of discoveries with regards to nutrition with how it affect the human body, the common man may not be aware but the information is available. A lot of things aren't inherently bad as your body processes things roughly the same way regardless of whether it was achieved synthetically or not. The difference between Bad/Good Cholesterol for example sake isn't as marginal as you'd think. Yes HDL naturally produced in the body helps clear cholesterol but there's 0 proving ground that increased HDL levels lower the risk of heart disease as it's cholesterol too. What should be pushing is the healthy balance of all cholesterol in the body. The sad reality is that our country is still medically ignorant/still uses science discoveries made in the 20th century and Medicine being a business;they don't make money if you're not dying/relying on faulty drugs. I brought that up in relation to freedom because it's illegal to prohibit things that work on such a delicate balance;you can't stop that which isn't inherently wrong, all we can hope for is as you said the increased active warnings as we cannot unanimously deter someone from their personal dietary preference.

When the "Traditional" diet is mentioned, it really comes down to being a myth, that one "needs" 2,000 calories to properly function on a daily basis. And yes, I remember those food pyramids quite well from my grade school years. One could argue that we can live quite nicely in a bracket of 1300-1700 calories, replacing lunch with a quick snack (such as an apple).

Yeah most people do not need 2,000 a day and perhaps a lower recommended statistic will cause people to lower their intake to actually 2,000 cause I think the average person consumes 2,500 a day and any consistent deficit ultimately leads to weight loss.

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
Oh how I wish our country could push for stricter regulation on the development of private company food without the infraction of freedom.
Stricter regulation without infractions of freedom? You literally just said "more radiation exposure without radiation poisoning". How about the government stops heavily subsidizing stuff like high fructose corn syrup?

Last edited:

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
Stricter regulation without infractions of freedom? You literally just said "more radiation exposure without radiation poisoning". How about the government stops heavily subsidizing stuff like high fructose corn syrup?
I understand your confusion, I meant it as per the substance being able to legally be barred. High fructose corn syrup is one of those things as it's synthetically similar to sugar (I think possessing a slightly higher fructose rate). Your body metabolically processes it the same way as well falling under the category of excess being bad for you. You can't prevent a private corporation from utilizing it the same way you can't prevent someone from consuming it, even if it was feasible they'd simply switch to natural sugar which is just as bad for you in large quantities.

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
I understand your confusion, I meant it as per the substance being able to legally be barred. High fructose corn syrup is one of those things as it's synthetically similar to sugar (I think possessing a slightly higher fructose rate). Your body metabolically processes it the same way as well falling under the category of excess being bad for you. You can't prevent a private corporation from utilizing it the same way you can't prevent someone from consuming it, even if it was feasible they'd simply switch to natural sugar which is just as bad for you in large quantities.
It's not only sugar, the state subsidizes virtually everything which is unhealthy about the modern western diet. Do you understand the implications of these subsidies? They artificially drive prices way down relative to healthier alternatives. Customers want cheap food so private companies supply cheap food, though most people do not comprehend (or even directly incur) the hidden costs associated with tax-fueled subsidization.

This contemporary health epidemic did not arise due to a lack of regulation.

Last edited:

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
It's not only sugar, the state subsidizes virtually everything which is unhealthy about the modern western diet. Do you understand the implications of these subsidies? They artificially drive prices way down relative to healthier alternatives. Customers want cheap food so private companies supply cheap food, though most people do not comprehend (or even directly incur) the hidden costs associated with tax-fueled subsidization.

This contemporary health epidemic did not arise due to a lack of regulation.
That continues to persists through sponsorship and financial backing by a prodigious source which leads to potential partisanship. That's nothing new and unlikey to change and of course a business is going to continue to exploit the unware for marginal profits, even at the expense of someone else's health in the presentation of more money is a decision easily made. However in relation to obesity while that may be the start of the trend of weight gain, it isn't financially easier to continue along that path. Feeding a family of four or greater is still significantly cheaper through the grocery store than it is to buy take out for meals, have you seen what some obese to morbidly obese people sanctify as a single meal? At that point take-out is more popular due to convienence. It's merely a catalyst with the fault still being placed on the individual

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
That continues to persists through sponsorship and financial backing by a prodigious source which leads to potential partisanship. That's nothing new and unlikey to change and of course a business is going to continue to exploit the unware for marginal profits, even at the expense of someone else's health in the presentation of more money is a decision easily made. However in relation to obesity while that may be the start of the trend of weight gain, it isn't financially easier to continue along that path. Feeding a family of four or greater is still significantly cheaper through the grocery store than it is to buy take out for meals, have you seen what some obese to morbidly obese people sanctify as a single meal? At that point take-out is more popular due to convienence. It's merely a catalyst with the fault still being placed on the individual
Why are so many people ignorant regarding healthy food and/or opportunity costs? Isn't the government responsible for 13+ years of "education"?

Ever since mid last century people have been deceived by state-funded initiatives into believing that high fat intake increases the risk of heart disease only to have associated products replace it with ridiculous quantities of sugar wherever possible (necessary for competition, otherwise the food tastes bland without fat). Just take a look at how much sugar is contained within most packaged food, keep in mind that 4 grams equals a teaspoon. Many think that "fat-free" automatically implies healthy. It has become a calorie numbers game, as if a calorie from fat is exactly the same as a calorie from high fructose corn syrup.

Just to be clear--fast food does not cost more than fresh groceries if we're measuring equal quantities, although we must not forget the often hefty price of future health complications.

Last edited:

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
Why are so many people ignorant regarding healthy food and/or opportunity costs? Isn't the government responsible for 13+ years of "education"?

Just to be clear--fast food does not cost more than fresh groceries if we're measuring equal quantities, although we must not forget the often hefty price of future health complications.
People deem different things important. In reference to my last post it's hardly ever an equal quantity for what you're getting when you compare ingredient usage to fast food though, most people order larger sizes and combo's believing they are spending less and are still eating it in a single sitting.

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
People deem different things important. In reference to my last post it's hardly ever an equal quantity for what you're getting when you compare ingredient usage to fast food though, most people order larger sizes and combo's believing they are spending less and are still eating it in a single sitting.
I'm not sure if somebody who consumes an excessive amount of fast food per sitting would not also feel compelled to prepare massive servings using healthier ingredients at home. It's typical of those with bad eating habits to warp otherwise healthy diets into something unhealthy to compensate for a diminished concentration of sugar.

An aside--processed fruit products like juice tend to be the main Trojan Horses within many health-conscious households. Do not expect to maintain a healthy weight if you're sculling juice in place of water, it doesn't matter how healthy the rest of your diet is or even how much you exercise (depending on your natural metabolism).

Last edited:

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
Obesity has been caused and exacerbated by a wealth of factors:
  1. Carbs/sugar/fat are as addictive as drugs, but society doesn't treat it as an addiction.
  2. American restaurants making double than necessary food portions the norm.
  3. A culture that uses food as a tool of reward, punishment, indulgence and for social bonding.
  4. Fast food industry making junk food very accessible conditioning people to think in calorie per dollar metrics.
  5. "Healthy" junk food. (i.e. salads with bacon, croutons and 1000 calorie dressing ; low fat granola bars with a lot of carbs and sugar)
  6. A soft drink industry that suppresses evidence of how dangerous soda is.
  7. The government subsidizing high fructose corn syrup.
  8. The government heavily promoting saturated fat (whole milk, cheese, red meat)
  9. The constant advertising of junk food to young impressionable children.
  10. Schools failure to teach children about nutrition. By the time an adult finds out they're a food addict, it's often too late.

Top Bottom