• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

O.X.Y: The Documentary?! feat. samox - New venue!

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master

O.X.Y: The Documentary?!
Sunday, September 23rd, 2012

- introduction -

Impromptu OXY event. Samox, head of East Point Pictures and The Smash Brothers documentary, will be in Socal for the weekend and we want to give him quality footage. He's doing a great service to the community, so lets do our part.

You will be on camera, so come dressed appropriately.

- location -

Arian Education Center
(818)808-2680

19568 Ventura Blvd
Tarzana, CA

Can fit ~50 comfortably. 8 long tables, ~40 chairs. Air conditioning. Tons of parking. Lots of local food walking distance. Basically everything you'd want from a smash venue. I want to try it out to see if it'll be good for our locals.

Venue pics:

- schedule -

11 AM: Venue opens
1 PM: SHARP: Doubles starts
When doubles ends: Singles
We have the venue for as long as we want.

- cost -

Venue fee: $5. $3 with full setup.
Melee Singles: $5
Melee Doubles: $5 per person

- prizes -

1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

- ruleset -

MBR Recommended Rule Set
WITHOUT JAPES ON FOR TEAMS
Super Smash Brothers: Melee (Singles and Teams)

Singles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • Pokemon Stadium
Stage Bans
  • For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
  • For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.

Doubles Stage List

Starters/Neutrals:
  • Yoshi’s Story
  • Pokemon Stadium
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Dream Land
Counterpick:
  • Kongo Jungle 64
Stage Bans
  • For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
  • For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.

General Rules

• Items are set to off.
  • Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes, respectively.
  • Double Blind*: If elected.
  • Contest Port Priority*: If elected.
  • Neutral Start*: If elected.
  • Standard DSR*
  • Gentleman’s Clause*
  • Forced Character Selection*: Off
  • Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count.

Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Team Attack: ON.
  • Life Stealing is allowed.
  • If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.

How to Play a Set
  1. Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind.
  2. Use Stage Striking* to determine the first stage.
  3. The players play the first match of the set.
    Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start.
    Note: Only one of these two may be used, as both have a built in Port Selection mechanism using RPS. If there is a situation where a player would like to change which option they elected after playing the game of RPS, it is the opponent’s choice to allow it. The results from the previously played game of RPS will carry over.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable).
  5. The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  7. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  8. The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a Neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.
  9. The next match is played.
  10. Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.

***Term Definitions***

• Double Blind: Either player may request that a double blind selection occur. In this situation, a 3rd party should be told, in secret, each of player’s choices for the first round. Both players are to then select their first round character, with the 3rd party validating that the character selected is the same as their word.
  • Contest Port Priority: If an agreement cannot be made as to who gets what port, the players may enact a best of 1 game of Rock Paper Scissors. Winner gets their port selection, loser selects any other port.
  • Neutral Start: Either player may enact this rule. Once enacted, both players may only use one of the two “Neutral Starting Positions”. A best of one game of Rock Paper Scissors may be used to determine who gets the higher port. If one player elects to Contest Port Priority and the other elects to Neutral Start, Neutral Start takes priority.
    Singles:
    Stage|Port 1|Port 2|Port 3|Port 4
    FD|*|*
    FoD|*|*
    YS|*|*
    DL||*||*
    BF|||*|*
    PS|||*|*

Doubles:
    Stage|Port 1|Port 2|Port 3|Port 4
    FD|Team A|Team B|Team A|Team B
    PS|Team A|Team B|Team B|Team A
    BF|Team A|Team B|Team B|Team A
    YS|Team A|Team B|Team B|Team A
    DL|Team A|Team B|Team B|Team A
    For the counterpick stages not listed here: Take the 20 seconds to figure it out. This will get updated later.

• Standard DSR: A player/team may not counterpick to a stage they have won on.
  • DSR Modified: A player/team may not counterpick to the stage they last won on.
  • Gentleman’s Clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR.
  • Forced Character Selection: The losing player once had the option to select Random Stage as their counterpick and remove the option to change characters from the winner of the previous round. This is no longer legal. If a player wishes to select Random Stage as their counterpick, the winner of the previous round may choose to change their character.
  • Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter/Neutral list until there is one stage remaining.
    Players strike stages in this order:
    Strike|Player 1|Player 2
    Strike 1|*|
    Strike 2||*
    Strike 3||*
    Strike 4|*

- conduct rules -
    *stolen from Rule 6*

1. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
    2. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament with no refund.
    3. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer. Failure to comply can also result in disqualification.
    4. You are responsible for your own controller and name tag and equipment. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible, keep an eye on your equipment and always check to make sure you’re using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be restarted because of these problems.
    5. Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
    6. No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
    7. Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO’s discretion, which could include the removal from the venue.
    8. DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
    9. The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
    10. Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player’s ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organiser sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.
    11. Although a rarity in melee (regarding textures and other game hacks):

• Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
    • Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO’s discretion.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
So basically:

-air conditioning
-enough chairs/tables to fit ~50
-more than enough free parking
-good food really close
-i have the keys to the venue so we have no time restrictions. We can start as early as we want, and leave as late as we'd like.
-lots of outlets (almost one for every table) plus we have 3 power strips
-has its own bathroom
-will soon have great internet, but not for this event (if we use the venue again, we'd be able to stream from it)
-whiteboard which I guess we can use for crew battles if we want

So pretty good I'd say. A step up from Occi for our locals/impromptu events.

LuCKy

Smash Master
Oscar n Johnny come plz? Really wanna play a **** load of friendlies if I can make it lol

:phone:

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
The people who have specifically told me they're coming:

Sung
Westballz
Dendy (I assume)
Brandon Hatfield
Mufasa
samox
HairyNips
Nips' friend
J666
Lucky
HugS
Oliver
Stab + maybe Irvine peeps?
Maybe Vahag's crew (Practiceman, Midj, 2jar)
Maybe Studmuffin/Jackpot
Maybe UCLA ppl
Probably joejoe
Hopefully the Festizzio crowd (WHA, Fishy, Tapez, Joe, etc)
Havent talked to Caltech yet but I'm sure if Sung gives them a ride ( :) ), they'll come
and of course, the Crimson mother****in Blur

So right now we're looking at 20-30ish. Not bad for announcing it 2 days ago lol. If you guys come, and you bring a full car like you ought to (poor Kadar sounds so hungry for smash), then it'll be even bigger. Plus, that'd make it a lot easier for me to guilt Oscar and Johnny into coming lololol

Doooo ittt

D

Deleted member

contact mango hes bak from midwest

and you will never 'guilt' me into anything. the only reason i havent been going to tourneys is cuz i been sleeping at 7-8 am everyday, BUT i think i'll come to this one cya guys there

can guilt oscar tho this is close to him while this is a good hour and a half+ away from me

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
contact mango hes bak from midwest
i dont really know mango if you guys want him here then talk to him yourselves

i had no idea he was even in the midwest (unless you mean for FC).

and you will never 'guilt' me into anything. the only reason i havent been going to tourneys is cuz i been sleeping at 7-8 am everyday, BUT i think i'll come to this one cya guys there
it was a joke bro :/

yeah, the sleep schedule thing is no bueno. I've been through it before and getting back on track ****ing suuuuckkks. Glad to hear you'll be at this tho <3

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
I hope samox interviews HugS, I think he'd have some really insightful stuff for the documentary.
Hugo is super articulate and a great storyteller. His old blog is a fantastic read. Everyone should check it out if they haven't already.

Lucky's interview on stab's channel is awesome too. You can really tell his love for the game.

The final documentary/series is going to be so dope. I can't wait.

WHA?

Smash Ace
dammit bus doesnt pass sundays!!!! (good thing i found out)

can anyone give me a ride to this
im about 10 min from the venue by car
j666???? weiners???????

818 3O7 2692, call me if u can!!!!

Twinkles

Smash Lord
I went to this and it was EPIC. I wish I could've stayed longer. A lot longer. And got in a lot more friendlies. For my first tournament though, it was an awesome experience =]

-zEo

Top Bottom