• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official NSW - Next Event: use discord or facebook i'm lazy

rrrRandy

Smash Cadet
We're back from OHN, ready to play more video game!

Great Cave Offensive 2 - Smash 4 + N64
Date/Time: September 18th, registration opens 11:30am
Venue Fee: $10
Entry Fee per event: $5

The Great Cave Offensive tournament series continues, with the Wii U/N64 event coming first this time around. The Melee/PM event has yet to be announced, but there will still be some Melee the following weekend at:

York Street Battles #45
Date/Time: September 24th, Smash registration closes 12:30pm
Location: Red Room, 99 on York (99 York St, Sydney, NSW 2000)
Venue Fee: $15 for online pre-registration (provided link), $20 on the day
Entry Fee for Smash games: $5 per bracket

YSB returns after OHN, same deal as usual with the pre-registration as far as I can tell.

Also consider supporting the peeps down in Wollongong by heading over for:
Final Fight 4
Date/Time: September 17th (the day before GCO)

There'll be Melee at this one if you're really hungry for some of that action.

As a final note, Smashing Good Time will be making its return very soon! Stay tuned for updates on that.

Last edited:

rrrRandy

Smash Cadet
For those who haven't yet heard, Sydney Smash will be running an event at EB Expo 2016!
https://smash.gg/tournament/esports-arena-at-eb-games-expo
eSports Arena at EB Games Expo
Date/Time: October 1st-2nd
Venue Fee: a minimum of $39.95 (Saturday Daylight, General Admission)
Entry Fee for Smash games: $10 per game

With a considerable pot bonus for each game, this will probably shape up to be another majorly stacked event shortly following OHN. You'll need at least a General Admission ticket for the Saturday Daylight Session to enter, but entrants who make it to the top 32 bracket will be receiving free admission to the Sunday session as well.

rrrRandy

Smash Cadet
SGT makes its return!

SGT Spring #1
Date/Time: October 9th
Location: The Concourse, UTS Building 1 (15 Broadway, Ultimo, NSW 2007)
Venue Fee: $10, discounts for bringing equipment
Entry Fee for Smash games: $5 per event

Check out the Facebook event page for more details.

Also, an update regarding the EB Expo event: Pools will be run in three waves, starting at 9:30am, 12:30pm and 4:00pm on the Saturday.

rrrRandy

Smash Cadet

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
SHOUTOUT ATTEMPT / PRACTICEEEEEEE GOOOO

Good games
Kaga - hopefully everything I said kinda makes sense, and I do think working with Bjay would be beneficial to you both. Jab to fsmash from Roy made me pretty happy though lol

Kizza - ye ol Hunter Valley person that probably is too cool to read this (:<). Could've been a tricky and anxious set had you not SD'd yourself in that first game. Probably wouldn't have been so scary in 3 stocks though!. Also probably wouldn't have been so scary had you committed to attacking in neutral ever (chasing rolls can be hard). But despite you not having a WiiU, I can sense you have a bit of a natural understanding of certain more nuanced areas of the game. Would be cool to see you / others find fun in taking it more seriously - losing doesn't have to be covered up in memes!

Buster - solid movement and awareness, a bit too much dodging as I mentioned to you but if that remains in your play style I think you'd be fine. Main thing I'd say was be careful about how sometimes I encroached your space in situations you'd generally feel safe 4 times out of 5 (i.e. full hop bomb plucking into landing on a platform, usually good, but if I know you're not going to angle a boomerang throw or fair/nair to intercept my movement instead, free punish / major positional advantage).

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and then I forfeited singles. Wave would've probably bopped me, don't worry. Reasons are reasons, but I'm working on it in a lot of ways. Just gotta figure out the Zen Pacing and we're gucci.

Wave - nice to see you again and our double sets were fun (hard for doubles to not be fun tbh). Wiiman totally carried you though holy moly :p Congrats on winning and look forward to the next random encounter on for glory =)
Wiiman - god dammit you were hard to hit sometimes, I'm still mad that the first hit of Zelda up-b occurred AFTER the super armor of Roy's Up-B ended (the first hit had already come out), gah. That one double KO made things hefty difficult in that final game. Look forward to playing you otherwise sometime =) Lucina still sucks.

Enn / Joe - not sure how the set went so cleanly for us, maybe the fact Joe blamed Enn for it is valid considering what happened in singles :p I guess we finally got to play Joe, and through that small sample time of zero suit vs zero suit I KNOW THE TRUTH (screw you Adam, your discord slander is slanderous). I'm serious when I said you should come join the doublays crew too, so please doooooo. Also very nice job with your 2nd placement taking down Jeese and Ricky. Considering you're actually 10 years old (;)) and not in your final year of HS I could see insane progress happening for you over the Summer =).
And Enn, I believe you gotta work on match ups with Cloud specifically some more, albeit only piecing together several third-party perspectives, I think that would be your best bet, as from what I see your Cloud is solid. Study videos, read notes from people/ask questions; I'm sure it'll have drastic impact for you.

Naomi Campbelltown / Luma - SOUNDLESS SET UPS #_#. Sorry for being a little abrasive and agitated about it. Still not sure how we ended up starting on Lylat when we chose to go smashville after stage striking, lol.
The set was a bit of a mess overall and hard to recall too much of, but there definitely was some synergistic stuff coming from the two that you should work on to develop (simple 1-2 strings from ROB's grabs, rob projectiles covering bayo being aggressive with specials?). GGs though and you kept it close!

Bussy / Spaceman - GGs to you too. You guys said you like doubles, and that's good, BUT YOU NEED TO TRAIN HARDER. As requested, I didn't use reflector in the Falco game, but in turn I don't think you guys ever used projectiles anyway... rip? :p

Hans - first tournament I've been to that you were running, gotta say good job and thank you very much for taking on the reins. It will always be a tough job with a lot to consider, no way everyone can be happy, but I'd say you were pretty close this time around =)

Ricky - we used to be WORLD CHAMPIONS, HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN TO US!!??!?!?!
either way, always fun to team and play smash with one of the brothers. Our character / role synergy is a little off, but I'm sure with a bit of work we could patch that up significantly to find more consistent capitalizing. Not used to being the guy who needs to secure the kills; at least with my 'best' doubles chars, I find it funny how well our Kount and Roy went together, they are our BEAT THE **** OUTTA EM WITH DA COMBAWZ characters and maybe that's what we should've been doing the entire time hahaha.

Scott - you newb. That is all.

Luco, Scarp, Jeese (you bracket rigging media conspiracy *****), Bjay and all the others who said hello, chatted about PR drama or were surprised and/or happy to see me, thanks a lot, great to see you guys too.

OFF TO THE FUTURE -
Doubles Power Rankings

Last edited:

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
Dammit I should have gone so I could get a smashboards shoutout from Shaya Dx

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Dammit I should have gone so I could get a smashboards shoutout from Shaya Dx
I've been saying it for a while, but shoutouts are great and newage media shenanigans tend to have culled their occurrences in every smash scene. Only way to resolve that is to start doing them, hopefully others will too.
Fact it's on smashboards is a mixture of permanency and why not :p

Shoutouts to doubles and Shaya attending to a tournament :054::149:
The university semester is overrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!1!!!

Last edited:

rrrRandy

Smash Cadet
Shoutouts to the TOs for more tournaments:

Great Cave Offensive 4
Date/Time: November 20th, registration opens 11:30am

These things have all been pretty big so far. There will be on-the-day signups, but you can pre-register (without payment, which is done on the day) on smash.gg just to help us estimate numbers.

YSB 47 will also be held on the 26th, event page to come.

rrrRandy

Smash Cadet
Friendly reminders:

York Street Battles #47
Date/Time: November 26th, Smash registration closes 12:30pm
Venue Fee: $15 for online pre-registration (provided link), $20 on the day

Come up out the water and you know the deal. (Melee/WiiU)

Also, not sure on the status of N64 at this month's GCO, though there is something about a house tourney for that in the Facebook group. Hit up the sticky on this board to find that, since that's all the information I have on it.

rrrRandy

Smash Cadet
Whoops.

Great Christmas Offensive
Date/Time: December 18th, registration opens 11:30am

It's like GCO but in December.

To my understanding, there will be no YSB this month, so Melee peeps might be feeling a little left out.
The Nerd Cave is also apparently relocating as their current building is going to be knocked down in the near future, so Sydney Smash will be moving to a different venue when that happens.

There is another Smash 4 only event being run that weekend in Newcastle:
GvP Smash 4 Volume 1
Date/Time: December 17th, doors open 10:00am

The Newcastle Smash scene have got themselves a fantastic new venue from what I hear, so that might be worth checking out.

rrrRandy

Smash Cadet
January tournaments incoming!

Great Cave Offensive 5 (Smash 4)
Date/Time: January 15th, registration opens 11:30am

The Nerd Cave is moving soon, so this is probably going to be the last GCO in Surry Hills.
Melee (and everything else) have their own thing running on the same day:

A tournament in Newtown (Melee/PM/RoA/etc.)
Date/Time: January 15th, doors open 11:00am
Location:Newtown Neighbourhood Centre (1 Bedford Street, Newtown, NSW 2042)
Entry Fee per event: $5 (for Melee at least)

The 64 guys are running their own little thing at somebody's house, so you'll have to hit someone up on Facebook for the details on that one, but it's on Saturday the 14th.
Finally, YSB returns for 2017:

York Street Battles #48 (Melee/Smash 4)
Date/Time: January 28th, Smash registration closes 12:30pm
Venue Fee: $20

That's a venue fee, alright.

rrrRandy

Smash Cadet
The new venue for Smash 4 (maybe other games) tournaments has yet to be confirmed as far as I know, so in the meantime have some other things:
https://www.facebook.com/events/105978626584624/
GvP Sm4sh Volume 2 (Smash 4)
Date/Time: February 5th, doors open 10:00am
Location: Gomaz vs Pedro (1A Elizabeth St, Tighes Hill NSW 2297, Australia)

Coming off the GvP Invitational I can say yeah, they definitely have a fantastic venue. If you decide to take the 2.5 hour train ride up, some of the Newcastle guys would probably be willing to drive you between Hamilton station and the venue.

IU's Melee Tournament (Melee)
Date/Time: February 12th, doors open 10:30am
Location: pleb.city (14 Buckley St, Marrickville NSW 2204, Australia)

Ask IU in his thread if you have questions and no Facebook, I guess?

Finally, a reminder about our Discord server(s).
If you're interested in Smash 4, we have our own NSW Smash WiiU Discord server. Clicking the link will temporarily invite you into the server, at which point you should read the rules and follow the instructions there if you want to stay.
I'm pretty sure the Melee/PM guys use the NSW channel in the Australian Smash server, but don't quote me on that.
Joining the Discord(s) will let you be able to ask questions and get answers faster, and just generally talk to other people in the local Smash community.
I'd also highly recommend joining the Sydney Smash Facebook group, since basically everything I do is just reposting stuff from there, and sometimes I forget about this.

But yeah, stay tuned for updates on the successor to GCO and confirmation on YSB.

rrrRandy

Smash Cadet
No word on the next TRUCK-organised event, but here's other stuff.

GvP Melee Monthly 1 (Melee)
Date/Time: February 19th, doors open 10:00am
Location: Gomaz vs Pedro (1A Elizabeth St, Tighes Hill NSW 2297, Australia)

Another Melee tournament for Melee people.

York Street Battles #49 (WiiU/Melee/FGC)
Date/Time: March 4th, Smash registration closes 12:30pm
Venue Fee: $20

YSB is now on smash.gg, so you can do some pre-registration through it instead of sending a Sham some money through PayPal and still having to sign up for things on the day.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Gonna post EG2 shoutouts in here since twitter is siilllyyyyyyyyyyy.

HEY GUYS. I'm gonna get straight into these cause I wanna make hopefully quite a lot of them. No particular order here, although I might start with NSW and move outwards to OoS.

MM - Even aside from our usual interactions in Sydney all the time, it was just a pleasure to pretty much spend most of my time with you this weekend. You're one of the sharpest minds I know both inside smash and out and literally every time I walked into a match with your advice I felt invincible. You got so damn far this tournament, I know you've been working for so long and I know if anyone's got the download on them for next time it's you. You really held up NSW this tournament and reminded everyone our region can't be taken lightly. Of course I'm super looking forward to playing you and I'm gonna guess your Oli next tournament, it's gonna be fun times so get hyyyyype. :grin:

Jeese - I know you dislike travelling, so I was really happy to see you at gong trying hard anyway. I won't say much about us having to play, it was pretty silly, but yeah, thanks so much for coming back and helping me beat up people in sets later, it was super re-assuring and I wish I was as good at it as you and Ricky are. Everything else you probably know, friendship and stuff and Lucas is pretty dumb and twitch.tv.com is my favourite website etc. You're one of my favourite people in this scene. <3

Killy - Bruh you came to an interstate tournament and did the thing, so that makes me happy. I don't think any amount of SDs is gonna stop me knowing you're one of this country's most talented players. Come to moar things and then you can murder those pesky top 8-ers with Komo tech. :> We actually didn't get to talk much this weekend but that's okay cause you're coming to YSB and NAD to murder me so I'm pretty happy with that. In the meantime pls get everyone onto Abney Park I can't do this myself. :'(

Joe - BIG THANK for letting me stay with you and Ricky, we had the best room easily and we EVEN GOT SLEEP it was the best. I know you didn't do what you set out to do this tournament and it sucks, but I know you're still this country's next big top player up and coming and really from here on in it's all just part of the journey so I wouldn't worry too much. I'm so proud of the way you pulled yourself together to be the most supportive and you did super awesome on comms (I'd hazard to say you tended to know the most about the interactions occurring on screen over pretty much every other commentator BUT DON'T TELL ANYONE I SAID THAT). Smash is a super competitive environment sometimes, it's pretty easy to see yourself as a player and get stressed over how you're doing but just remember at the end of the day we've all got your back and we want you to go far. I know you'll be just fine. #joetho <3

Emansaur - Bruh I know you're just waiting for your breakout tournament and then no-one will sleep on yosher ever again. Good stuff on top 48 my man, just keep working on movement and patience and soon all those clutch games will turn into wins on big names. :>

Scarpian - I think you're in a similar position to Kris where you're kinda sorting out your stuff right now, but I think you'll be fine. You're one of my closest friendoos in this scene, EVEN THOUGH YOU TRY TO PUSH ME INTO THIS VILLAIN ROLE, I have so much love for my lil skip. I think I might have borrowed the fire from you before my set with Pudge, it's so OP, use it well. And also, maybe, if we're lucky, we can even team a THIRD TIME this year. How cool would that be? :O

Lumi - I'm still shocked you didn't buy a ticket for the 3rd day, only to get 17th at your first major and beating the likes of Zedi, Majora and even Quen, in addition taking games off of SeymourButts, Snugs and Ignis who got 4th WTF. You've seriously come so far since your days at Hornsby in such a short time, I expect less sadboiz on ROB from you from now on and in its place apologising profusely for all the JANK you're about to pull on this country. You dun gud.

Zedi - I'm sorry I don't give shoutouts to cucks. Also big love, I know you're always thinking about the best way to improve and I know you'll unlock it. Sorry I barely got to chat with you properly, you're high on my priority list for friendlies next YSB or NAD.

Invisi - You're a hero for sticking around and giving us all the support (even though I know you also had to be there for Leisha Boozer but STILL), I know you didn't do what you wanted to in singles but you're too good to stay down, just keep working on Rosa for the bad MUs to improve your consistency and things will be fine. You're such a good friend, you don't know how much it means to me that you're always there for a hug every tournament. You're an asset to this scene and I'm so glad you're still here and giving it your hardest after all this time. <3

Trojans - ALSO BIG THANK for letting me stay at yours after the tournament I had no idea what I was gonna do and I am sorry for falling asleep mid conversation in the car trip home. I think once you remember your patience you'll be able to force the interactions you want and punish them heavily, you might feel like you're on a plateau now but the moment you jump you'll probably jump very far. I'm still so jelly of you being like 5 mins away from NAD venue and I wish I was half as cool as you irl LOL.

Fruit - We will play friendlies soon and it will be good. Also why am I giving shoutouts to myself wtf. See ya soon buddy. :D

Lanatra - We finally got to play a set in tournament WOO. And it was a great set too, I'm sorry for silly Lucas combawz jank but your Corrin was mad, I think you should definitely consider working on it for future tournaments. :D

Gong boiz - You all hosted such a mad tournament, you should all be proud of yourselves and I'm hardcore impressed at how successful the gong scene is becoming. This tournament qualified on some international rankings and people definitely took note of us so you should be pretty proud of that too. I'm so sorry I don't come down nearly enough, life gets in the way but I'll do my best to make it down to a monthly sooner or later and in the meantime just remember you all have my sincerest love. Special shoutout to Kristoph for our set in bracket, I know you're a fantastic player and you'll get over your character crisis eventually, sucks we couldn't play in something like top 8 but we'll get em next time buddy. <3

Newy bros - So good to see all of you at the tournament and very very weird to be an opposing coach to atyeo in a real set. Last night shenanigoats were fun, I will like and share any #freebussy donations you need. Special shoutouts to Spaceman for continuing his upset streak and Speedy for coaching against him (I'm sorry I was dragged into all this ;_; ).

Pazx - BRUH CONGRATS ON 5TH, you played so well just like I knew you would and hanging out with you was legitimately da bess. I'm especially blessed for knowing what a Tim Tam Slam is now thanks to you, I'm never gonna drink healthily again but at least it's a slower death than #actroadsafety so we gud. ;) Legit though it's so gratifying to get to know a friend from a place like the boards and you're always insightful and a good fren. Let's continue bagging out Sriks for his parallel parking skills sometime. :D

Sriks - Speaking of which, BRUH CONGRATS ON 3RD AT A MAJOR, honestly you should be super proud, I guess you already knew you could beat me to a pulp but chomping through Extra, Duon and Ignis one after the other was a delight to watch, all game 5 situations too I dunno how your heart hasn't had its life-span cut in half but ye you're up there with the best of them. I'll just have to become stronger so I can actually convince you Lucas Shulk is even. I can never tell if you're loving my tom-memery or are really really tired of it but I guess if we're super secret friends then it's all good. Also go play Xenoblade already I know I sure need to. :O

Quen - Our sets are always some of my favourite in smash ever and it was really close too, you're immensely talented and someone I have a lot of respect for in this community. Thanks for being such a mate, I'm looking forward to our next set. :D

Boozer and Leisha - I've been humbled and must now seek my revenge, but srs congrats on the major win, I have to stop jumping so our next set actually looks close. Even if I was playing on point I dunno if I could've taken you down, you looked like you were on a roll and pretty much just borking through everything. Our sets are always da bess, I'm looking forward to the next one. <3 And Leisha ty for the Mew sticker it's secretly one of my favourite pokemon. :D I know you weren't happy with your performance this major, but I was super happy to see you pulled through versing 4Par, if you ever want more tips on the MU or vs Lucas I am happy to help. :>

Extra - I was literally sitting waiting for our top 8 set and then we both got Monado'd so what can I even say. I know you're not feeling up to strength as of late but I'm glad you came up anyway and I always have so much fun playing with you in friendlies as well as generally just talking with you about smash stuff, you're super insightful when it comes to the game and this scene, it's no wonder you're one of the frontrunners of this country's meta.

Wave - Basically my soulmate in this tournament and every tournament, we even got 7th place buddies together. You already know at this point you're one of my favourite people in smash ever and ONE OF THESE DAYS WE'LL MEET IN BRACKET AT A MAJOR THAT ISN'T R1 LOSERS and have the coolest Bo5 evar. In the meantime I wish my interwebz were up to par so I could play online but at least we're only like 3 and a half hours away so I'm expecting we'll see each other pretty soon. :>

Majora - OUR SET WAS SO CLOSE my heart at the end of it was ded. I think your fox is actually really good, you've got a great mixup game and you just need to make sure you're reading habits to close out the stock. It was a pleasure meeting you, you're a billion times cooler than I'll ever be btw. I can't wait to see you around, most likely at BAM 9 yup. :D

Pudge - One of my favourite aus smash personalities and all-time tryhard nice guy, it was a pleasure finally playing you for the first time and I'm really impressed at some of the wins you pulled out this weekend. Ness Fox is preeeeetty silly. I'm looking forward to EVO Japan so for the first time I'll get to be cheered by you and the vic crew lol. :p

Kaito - So good to meet a fresh face and really cool to see Ghost isn't the only one repping Cloud Bayo (like Australia actually needs some top tiers in its meta otherwise everything goes to heck). You're busy praising everyone else but you're actually super super nice and I had a blast playing you. Sorry for my smashville grime. :'( In any case thanks so much for coming up, I'll see you at BAM 9! :D

Denz - OMG they weren't lying when they said you're kind to the point of ridiculousness, it was actually amazing to talk to you and watch you play. Amazing work taking a set off Ricky, and I can tell you're the kind of player who's really receptive to learning and understanding more about the game, so I'm really looking forward to seeing you on the come up in Vic. I'll keep tabs on your progress (*insert eyes emoji*), I don't know much about Rosa but feel free to contact me any time if you need any help!

To anyone who didn't get a specific shoutout, it's only because at this point I'm writing a novel and every single person made this weekend what it was, which was an awesome major. Thankyou all for being the coolest bunch of nerds I've ever had the pleasure to come across and I can't wait for next time. This scene is made what it is by all of you being so passionate, dedicated and caring and together it makes this awesome community which is Aus smash. Ily all. <3

Last edited:
Top Bottom