• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Now that's strategy!" - Robin Video Archive

DaBeast

Smash Ace
NNID
DaBessBeast
3DS FC
3566-1658-7713
Hmm, this place seems pretty dead but I figure this is the right place to ask for help. Went to a tourney on Tuesday and got double eliminated by Blue. Would like to receive some advice on the Mewtwo MU and just general stuff. I already know that personally my approach sucks so how do I fix that? Anyway, here's one of the vids against blue:
and here's my first match; would like advice there as well:
Thanks

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Finally managed to strike back at a pro Bayonetta player, after getting mine arse heel-kicked twice. I dare say, I've impressed mineself. Lesson learnt: Don't f*** with a witch--at least not up close.

Last edited:

eyejayy

Smash Cadet
Hmm, this place seems pretty dead but I figure this is the right place to ask for help. Went to a tourney on Tuesday and got double eliminated by Blue. Would like to receive some advice on the Mewtwo MU and just general stuff. I already know that personally my approach sucks so how do I fix that? Anyway, here's one of the vids against blue:
Thanks
You got good mixups in empty full/short hops so keep at that. I think you need to space SH Fair to purposely not hit and fastfall to buffer a jab, mainly at low percents. You'll probably catch him trying to approach. Disregard normal robin tactics with projectile use because of his reflector. Be less predictable in throwing out those thunder variations; keep a conscious mind, you're facing a top level player. The tricks and moves that work on your peers might not so easily against every player.
As a non related robin note, but smash related... tell yourself in your head what worked and what didnt during the match and in between. I felt you didnt play your best; on tilt..

BTW... i saw you get spiked on by Moose's diddy (3/29/16)

DaBeast

Smash Ace
NNID
DaBessBeast
3DS FC
3566-1658-7713
LOL, **** you saw that? I think your last sentence was very helpful. I will give it a try. I need some more reflection after a game and not just during it. I learned a lot from that game but as you can see from yesterday, controlling tilt is not one of them. (Also I'm totally johning but my controller wasn't working right when I got bodied by Moose lol)

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Thanks
Whoa, those were some pretty intense matches. I've learnt a lot from these videos.

As a Robin player, mine main flaw is that sometimes I'm not as aggressive at times as I should be. I tend to rely on deception more than anything else, and I'm conservative to a fault.

I have to agree with everything the user eyejayy said. When dealing with an opponent with a reflector, I tend to be less predictable with Robin's projectiles, including Elwind, since I have been star-KO'ed by mine own reflected Elwinds before. I've also been practising using Robin's tilts more frequently, and using his grab and ground smash attacks only if I see a clear opening.

But overall, I think your performance was quite good; you did a lot better than I probably would have.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
LOL, **** you saw that? I think your last sentence was very helpful. I will give it a try. I need some more reflection after a game and not just during it. I learned a lot from that game but as you can see from yesterday, controlling tilt is not one of them. (Also I'm totally johning but my controller wasn't working right when I got bodied by Moose lol)
WHOS MY AVI

bou0010

Smash Rookie
NNID
bou0010
3DS FC
2621-2743-4496
Goddamn that dude's vine is an amazing resource. It's like all that guy does is find cool Robin **** and make videos out of it.

First of all, gonna have to look into that downtilt tome retrieval thing...
I'm so confused by the d tilt retrieval. When I use the last of a tome and then d tilt no discard happens which is great. So I can time that. But then as soon as I stop d tilt the discard occurs and isn't the same arc as it is normally.

In the vine (see below) there's the instance where he jumps straight up and grabs it which makes sense. But with the arcfire tome he is able to grab it immediately. And the Nos tome he is able to dash attack to grab it. How?
So I've been doing quite a bit of labbing and found out mostly everything to how this works. Still writing up the notes but should be done either tomorrow or the day after that.

Should I make a new thread for this tech? Or just post what i found here? It honestly seems like it'll be really useful and will help to optimise grabbing the tomes/sword

Last edited:

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Oh you've been researching that? Very cool. I'm extremely interested in that tech. If I were you, I'd make a new thread. I'd say this stuff is too useful to have it be lost on Page 9 of the video archive.

Rectal

Smash Rookie
Thanks
Good games, especially for a matchup as difficult as Mewtwo and a player as good as Blue. I'm mediocre and have no tournament experience so take this advice with a grain of salt (and feel free to correct any mistakes of course).

Vs Blue

This is obvious, but watch your Elwinds. You went over the ledge when recovering at least twice. In game two when he had you trapped on the ledge second stock, after you saw that he was sitting back at roll distance dtilting you could have switched up your getup by ledgedropping and then jumping back to stage, opening up your options more with a potential airdodge, aerial, or FF grab. I'm not sure I noticed any specific times in this game when it would have worked and it can be risky (especially against a character who can gimp you as efficiently as Mewtwo), but LUair through the stage as a recovery mix-up can catch people off guard.

Also obvious, but don't throw out so many smashes in neutral. They're extremely risky, and at certain points (particularly when you LDSmashed at 150% when he was at 30% first stock game three) the potential reward is definitely not worth it. You were in a difficult position because he was refusing to approach you and Shadowball pressures you to be offensive, but smashes can put you in a really bad position.

I think your arcfire punishes in both games could have been better too. At low to mid percents you should be able to get at least one LFair or LUair out of it (depending on character and DI). In this set off of an arcfire at 0:10 and an arcthunder at 3:23 Mr. II get's three LAerials out of each landed special; SH LFair, FF, FH LFair, DJ LUair and SH LFair, FF, FH LFair, DJ LFair respectively. These were both with R.O.B. at 0% so you won't always get punishes this strong, but you should definitely be able to get more than a Bronze Sword hit.

You got good mixups in empty full/short hops so keep at that. I think you need to space SH Fair to purposely not hit and fastfall to buffer a jab, mainly at low percents. You'll probably catch him trying to approach.
Elaborating on this, in game one a lot of the times that you caught him with aerials you were moving backwards in the air, he tried to push you, and you punished him. In game three you weren't baiting/punishing, you were approaching with LS aerials from neutral, so he had the reactionary advantage and was able to respond appropriately. You could have spaced a little bit better with your LFairs (I remember him shielding and punishing at least one where you were too close), and when he started to read your pattern and roll through your approach it would have been a good time to do what eyejayy is suggesting here or a riskier but more rewarding option like a B-reversed Nosferatu.

Last edited:

ItsASquid

Smash Apprentice
http://youtu.be/RhfYuqnYt7E

As recommended by another user, here's a replay. I actually had another nickname here before, but I was so embarassed by my horrible win rate and reputation for being Smash 4's worst player, I started over.

Nothing changed though. Despite playing hours every day since launch and trying everything in my power to become talented at this game (I have no other talents and love the smash series; I want to be good so I can get respect in life) I still have a low win rate of 20% on FG and only 1 win on Anthers.

As well as this Villager, I am frequently bested by Dededes only using gordos, teleporting Zeldas, rolling Marios, Little Mac smashers, taunters/teabaggers and worst of all, players on anthers who have only just picked up the game or are years younger than me. Like a decade difference younger.

Do you guys think I'm beyond hope at this point? :( I mean I can't even win on For Glory after literally years of trying, how am I meant to win respect if I'm that bad?

EDIT: Starts late because of limited space. One of 5 matches against someone with a tag of "i suck" who went pn to post replays of my games on Share mode. Also happens to be the one I did best in. I was almost JV3d in another. I had to approach because he shielded/pocketed everything I threw out.

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
You Arcfire a lot in neutral, which is a very common mistake Robin players make, and a habit that's difficult to break (I still do it sometimes too :c ). Though you did also use it correctly sometimes (covering their ledge options, putting a hitbox on the ledge to aid in your recovery,etc). Also gotta work on those Dthrow conversions, especially at lower percents. You missed several opportunities to get damage because you went for Utilt when it doesn't work instead of jab. The other thing I noticed is that you roll....quite a bit. Rolling's not really something you should use as a movement option.

Luis1234554321

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luis-Dui
3DS FC
0259-0603-2596
You Arcfire a lot in neutral, which is a very common mistake Robin players make, and a habit that's difficult to break (I still do it sometimes too :c ). Though you did also use it correctly sometimes (covering their ledge options, putting a hitbox on the ledge to aid in your recovery,etc). Also gotta work on those Dthrow conversions, especially at lower percents. You missed several opportunities to get damage because you went for Utilt when it doesn't work instead of jab. The other thing I noticed is that you roll....quite a bit. Rolling's not really something you should use as a movement option.
What should I do with Arcfire? I forgot about the right move in down throw al lower % is the normal jab? I'm working on rolling but is very difficult sometimes and the lag doesn't work:/
Thanks for you review:)

Nah

Smash Champion
What should I do with Arcfire? I forgot about the right move in down throw al lower % is the normal jab? I'm working on rolling but is very difficult sometimes and the lag doesn't work:/
Thanks for you review:)
Generally you want to use it as a tool in advantage. In addition to using it to cover the ledge like you've been doing, it can also be used as a landing trap. There IS one good use of it in neutral though, which is to create a wall when there's an overhead platform (like on BF or something).

Basically the flow for Dthrow combos is Jab->Utilt->Uair. Percentages vary a bit due to rage and individual character physics but you'll sort of get a feel for it when you see how high they bounce

_Shinta_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinta_kenshin
3DS FC
4914-4219-5499
Critique these sets? :p
Good sets man. Down throw to jab at 0% especially on fast fallers doesn't work. Most people shield immediately so sometimes I just arcfire their shield and get a free grab. Not supposed to be a thing but it's a mixup.

Speaking of which you seem to wavebounce your arc fires. Pretty neat. Do you have a controller setup to do that easier or is it something you just practiced?

Think sometimes you may arc fire in neutral too much. It's great if it works but you took a lot of damage tossing it out against the Diddy.

Diddy set I think the main issue in games 2 and 3 were you trying to land. He'll get punishes with banana grabs or aerials etc. Since you seem proficient at B reversing then you can try B reversing Thunder at the last moment as your hitting the ground. Robin begins the animation frames to charge then autocancels it to a roll animation (in the direction you B Reversed) automatically. It's a tricky landing option that's hard for the opponent to punish especially if they arent expecting it. Helps me out.

Good stuff

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
Speaking of which you seem to wavebounce your arc fires. Pretty neat. Do you have a controller setup to do that easier or is it something you just practiced?
I have c-stick set to specials to make wavebounce easy, and conveniently makes nosferatu super easy to b-reverse as well :p

STO

Smash Rookie
NNID
MagikSimon
Hey guys I just wanted to drop this video from my last weekly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIeY4cRSrO4
I'd like to have some feedback on how I played during this set and maybe things I should work on.
Ty!
(Also, I got to play on stream more than once, so I can share more footage if you guys want)

Top Bottom