• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Now that the game is nearly finished, did you enjoy the game?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Hmm depends did it live up to the name special? yeah maybe i guess!
Did it live up to the name Ultimate? NO!

Quillion

Smash Hero
I enjoyed it quite a bit for a time, but afterwards, my playing it felt more like an obligation as a fan rather than something I do for fun. So yeah, I stopped enjoying it.

Nothing against Ultimate on its own, but the Smash series just feels like it has played more or less the same since Melee. Yes, the general physics have changed between games, but I would say that Mega Evolution, Z-moves and Dynamaxing were bigger and more explicit changes to Pokémon, and no one calls those three innovative.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
At launch I was really satisfied, but DLC was a pathetic failure in almost every way - albeit a pathetic faliure I at least learned a lot about game design, marketing, and consumers' responsiblities from. I do enjoy the game, but I'm quite disappointed at the lack of transparency about development; inconsideration to competitive play; and scummy marketing tactics at play, both for Smash and other games involved in Smash.

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
At launch I was really satisfied, but DLC was a pathetic failure in almost every way - albeit a pathetic faliure I at least learned a lot from. I do enjoy the game, but I'm quite disappointed at the lack of transparency about development and scummy marketing tactics at play, both for Smash and other games involved in Smash.
How so was the DLC pathetic. I was quite satisfied.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
How so was the DLC pathetic. I was quite satisfied.
Lots of shill picks, lack of aesthetic variety, some poorly designed fighters, almost no content other than Mii costumes and challenger packs, the mere act of using a season pass on a series that's fandom is known for character reveal conspiracy theories and heavy arguments over decisions made, making no attempt to apologise or compensate for (or even acknowlesge for that matter) fandom disappointment, no transparency nor active attempts to soothe major fandom concerns, I could go on and on...

Kuroushin

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
KURO#200
I enjoyed ultimate despite playing smash for competitive means. IMO, ultimate is really uninteresting competitively, despite the large roster. Though, looking at smash ultimate as it is, a video game, I find it enjoyable. The DLC is fun, and all the annoying gimmicks that every character has in ultimate are fun casually; I only play ultimate casually, so I don't have a major problem with the game.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Lots of shill picks, lack of aesthetic variety, some poorly designed fighters, almost no content other than Mii costumes and challenger packs, the mere act of using a season pass on a series that's fandom is known for character reveal conspiracy theories and heavy arguments over decisions made, making no attempt to apologise or compensate for (or even acknowlesge for that matter) fandom disappointment, no transparency nor active attempts to soothe major fandom concerns, I could go on and on...
A shill pick should only be considered a shill pick if they were not made with love and instead made out of corporate greed. I felt none of that from the fighters (besides maybe Byleth and Min-Min). I agree that they were kinda poorly designed. Joker has too many good tools. Hero may be my main, but i wish his move set was more competitive and based more of his game in general. GO! Is very unbalanced. Banjo is boooooooooooooorrrrirng. Byleth is fun, but kinda basic. Min-Min is unique, but I think her upsmash needs a nerf. Steve is beyond boring to fight, even if he has the most unique moveset. Sephiroth is awesome. Aegis had a crappy reveal but is very fun to play. Kazuya has nutty combos and damage output, but I think it needs a nerf (too oppressive/punishing to be balanced). Sora in smash was the greatest reveal bar none. The stages were kinda lazy. Mostly just landscape backgrounds or static backgrounds. Mementos can legit give people seizures. Yggdrasils altar was nice, but its music sucks because its MiDi and not orchestral. Terry’s stage was amazing. Banjo’s was unique, but thats it. Byleth s stage is very visually appealing, but gets boring. Min-mins was better than the character. Minecraft world is cool at first, but becomes boring once you play it more than twice. Jenova is cool af. Pyras stage is nice to just play some chill smash without annoying background objects. Kazuyas is also really nice (Heihichi Being there really boosts my rating of it). The new kingdom hearts stage is the same boring moving landscape, sadly. They don’t need to compensate for disappointed fan bases. Due to the nature of the DLC, not everybody could be pleased. I for one, I am very pleased. You have every right to be annoyed, and I know that a lot of people did not get their dream characters. But to say that they need to apologize or compensate is ridiculous.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
A shill pick should only be considered a shill pick if they were not made with love and instead made out of corporate greed. I felt none of that from the fighters (besides maybe Byleth and Min-Min). I agree that they were kinda poorly designed. Joker has too many good tools. Hero may be my main, but i wish his move set was more competitive and based more of his game in general. GO! Is very unbalanced. Banjo is boooooooooooooorrrrirng. Byleth is fun, but kinda basic. Min-Min is unique, but I think her upsmash needs a nerf. Steve is beyond boring to fight, even if he has the most unique moveset. Sephiroth is awesome. Aegis had a crappy reveal but is very fun to play. Kazuya has nutty combos and damage output, but I think it needs a nerf (too oppressive/punishing to be balanced). Sora in smash was the greatest reveal bar none. The stages were kinda lazy. Mostly just landscape backgrounds or static backgrounds. Mementos can legit give people seizures. Yggdrasils altar was nice, but its music sucks because its MiDi and not orchestral. Terry’s stage was amazing. Banjo’s was unique, but thats it. Byleth s stage is very visually appealing, but gets boring. Min-mins was better than the character. Minecraft world is cool at first, but becomes boring once you play it more than twice. Jenova is cool af. Pyras stage is nice to just play some chill smash without annoying background objects. Kazuyas is also really nice (Heihichi Being there really boosts my rating of it). The new kingdom hearts stage is the same boring moving landscape, sadly. They don’t need to compensate for disappointed fan bases. Due to the nature of the DLC, not everybody could be pleased. I for one, I am very pleased. You have every right to be annoyed, and I know that a lot of people did not get their dream characters. But to say that they need to apologize or compensate is ridiculous.
The whole "compensation" thing was about Byleth specifically, exclusively even, while the thing about "soothing fandom concerns" was moreso about Nintendo's complete ignorance of leaks, both fake and real. Should've been a bit more honest there, heh.

That being said... a shill pick is a shill pick. Well designed, a character I like, made with love, whatever, they're still paying you to be advertised to.

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
The whole "compensation" thing was about Byleth specifically, exclusively even, while the thing about "soothing fandom concerns" was moreso about Nintendo's complete ignorance of leaks, both fake and real. Should've been a bit more honest there, heh.

That being said... a shill pick is a shill pick. Well designed, a character I like, made with love, whatever, they're still paying you to be advertised to.
Then by that definition, every character is a shill pick, as they all promote a game in some sort. Plant, Joker, Hero, Banjo, Terry, Byleth, Min-Min, Steve, Sephiroth, Aegis, Kazuya, and Sora are all shill picks by that definition. A better definition would be... “A character made solely as advertisement for a separate game.” If it is in part to advertise, that includes every character.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I enjoy it a lot, yes. I do have some problems with Ultimate and I was very disappointed by the DLC, but at least Banjo & Kazooie are finally there. I've played around 450 hours all by myself (no online and almost no traditional multiplayer) and I will come back to it from time to time, although for short sessions.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I love this game and I never really get tired of it! So many characters, so many stages, so many music pieces! Well I've always been quite addicted to each Smash game for the first few months after release, this one feels like I be enjoying this for years to come.

In my opinion, it really lives up to the name Ultimate!

Shroob

Sup?
I have my issues with it, namely the online, but yes, I love it.

Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Aren't you the same 'fella that were going on about how you were being "scammed" for buying the DLC? Just admit that you don't like the DLC, my bro, no one will disagree with you otherwise, since that's just your opinion, you don't need to spin some massive yarn about 100 reasons why the DLC is bad, just say "I don't like it", it's that easy.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Aren't you the same 'fella that were going on about how you were being "scammed" for buying the DLC? Just admit that you don't like the DLC, my bro, no one will disagree with you otherwise, since that's just your opinion, you don't need to spin some massive yarn about 100 reasons why the DLC is bad, just say "I don't like it", it's that easy.
SSBU's DLC is inherently summcy though, just on virtue of using a mystery season pass alone. If you can buy a product and don't know what will be in that product, it shouldn't be a product, end of - let alone a product intended for a mostly teenage fandom that gets notoriously over-emotional and conspiracy theory-ey about which characters are or aren't in the game. No amount of "don't buy if you're not certain!" disclaimers will stop the fact that it's exploitative - especially with the almost comically vague "covering my back" wording Sakurai used ("only if you are sure of it's value", which moreso ties into pricing and the amount of content as opposed to what the content is. "only if you are sure the contents will be statisfactory" or something to that extent, while not in any way justifying the use of a mystery season pass, would at least be more honest.)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
its a good game but theres plenty of flaws like bad characters, unplayable stages and certain aspects that are getting stale

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
SSBU's DLC is inherently summcy though, just on virtue of using a mystery season pass alone. If you can buy a product and don't know what will be in that product, it shouldn't be a product, end of - let alone a product intended for a mostly teenage fandom that gets notoriously over-emotional and conspiracy theory-ey about which characters are or aren't in the game. No amount of "don't buy if you're not certain!" disclaimers will stop the fact that it's exploitative - especially with the almost comically vague "covering my back" wording Sakurai used ("only if you are sure of it's value", which moreso ties into pricing and the amount of content as opposed to what the content is. "only if you are sure the contents will be statisfactory" or something to that extent, while not in any way justifying the use of a mystery season pass, would at least be more honest.)
Bro, bro. You are only at your own fault if you bought. Even if you stick to your argument of “exploiting teenagers”, then... it’s still your fault. It’s not Sakurais fault if he says don’t buy it immediately cause you might be disappointed, buy it anyway with that disclaimer in mind, and get disappointed... then you should never complain. Plus, you do know you could’ve just, bought the pass AFTER the last DLC character of the pass was announced. Stop going on rants whenever DLC is brought up, all you have to do is say you don’t like it.

Shroob

Sup?
No it isn't.

You realize that the speculation crowd online is less than 1% of the total Smash fandom, right?

No offense, but if you told me something had a 99% chance to succeed, then I'm not going to worry about the 1%.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Bro, bro. You are only at your own fault if you bought. Even if you stick to your argument of “exploiting teenagers”, then... it’s still your fault. It’s not Sakurais fault if he says don’t buy it immediately cause you might be disappointed, buy it anyway with that disclaimer in mind, and get disappointed... then you should never complain. Plus, you do know you could’ve just, bought the pass AFTER the last DLC character of the pass was announced. Stop going on rants whenever DLC is brought up, all you have to do is say you don’t like it.
I was about 16 when FP1 came out, and am 19 now. I've grown - I went out of my way to not buy FP2 even. However, I was caught up in the self-destructive hype culture and had no clue how poor the season passes would be. That was on me, but Nintendo weren't doing anything to help inform intelligent purchases.

"Don't like it, don't buy it" isn't an adequate excuse, especially for something that preys off of mystery and hope like the fighters passes.

Shroob

Sup?
I was about 16 when FP1 came out, and am 19 now. I've grown - I went out of my way to not buy FP2 even. However, I was caught up in the self-destructive hype culture and had no clue how poor the season passes would be. That was on me, but Nintendo weren't doing anything to help inform intelligent purchases.

"Don't like it, don't buy it" isn't an adequate excuse, especially for something that preys off of mystery and hope like the fighters passes.
Yes it is.

If I buy a car, and I don't check that it actually works, it's on me for being an idiot.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236

it is an excuse. It really is. Just wait until the full pass comes out then buy it. That’s all you had to do.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Hell yeah I like it. This game is a triumph. The likes of which we most likely won’t see again in our lifetimes.

Yeah the online could be better, that’s a big issue. And I could use a few more side games. And this is a small thing, but I wish spirits had descriptions!

Anyway, the game is great. Easily in my top 3 favorite switch games.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, I'm sorry like, but, this is all just an excuse, mixed with buyer's remorse tbh.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you can't pin this on Nintendo, when this is entirely a you issue.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Hell yeah I like it. This game is a triumph. The likes of which we most likely won’t see again in our lifetimes.

Yeah the online could be better, that’s a big issue. And I could use a few more side games. And this is a small thing, but I wish spirits had descriptions!

Anyway, the game is great. Easily in my top 3 favorite switch games.
I think they didn’t add descripitons is because there are just sooooooooooooooooo many spirits.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Personally... I'd say I enjoyed it. It's the first time I've been active throughout the lifecycle of a Smash title, and... it's kinda bittersweet with that cycle coming to an end. Even though I've not really been able to play the game since around the release of Min Min what with Joy-Con Drift, and then my Switch literally being stolen, it's one of the rare games that I've kept interest in despite not being able to play it - and even if it has its problems... I'm glad I was on Mr. Sakurai's wild ride with y'all.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
I found Ultimate to be a really fun game. It had my main return (:ulticeclimbers:), over 100 stages (including some of my old favorites like Fountain of Dreams, Hyrule Castle, and Mushroom Kingdom 64), many fun custom stages through stage builder, and 8-player battles.
While it was tedious, I still found WoL fun for what it was, and All-Star is also a fun thing to do.
The only things that I would’ve liked were an unranked quickplay and a permanent availability for online tourney times.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I found Ultimate to be a really fun game. It had my main return (:ulticeclimbers:), over 100 stages (including some of my old favorites like Fountain of Dreams, Hyrule Castle, and Mushroom Kingdom 64), many fun custom stages through stage builder, and 8-player battles.
While it was tedious, I still found WoL fun for what it was, and All-Star is also a fun thing to do.
The only things that I would’ve liked were an unranked quickplay and a permanent availability for online tourney times.
WOL was def grindy. I do love the boss fights though :slime:

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
With how much time I've put into it I'd be hard pressed to say I got nothing out of it, but I've definitely fallen off it these days. It was hard to go back to after Wario got nerfed since he was the character I was really taking a liking to at the time.

kirbstr

Smash Apprentice

Wait, what the **** were you expecting from the DLC? Lol. When they were announced it was literally marketed as "5 new fighters", if you got it then, that's what you were paying for. It wasn't "preying off of mystery and hope", and if you bought the fighters pass early because you wanted a specific character, you're a moron.

Even if you absolutely HATED the Byleth pick, were the other 4 characters in the original pass so awful that you somehow thought you got scammed? Who were you expecting, WHAT were you expecting? We not only had all of Ultimate's base newcomers to get an idea of what kind of characters would be in the passes, but we also had Smash 4's DLC as well. It's not like characters you didn't want are completely worthless either, since you can still play as them and have fun with the game like a normal person.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
HELL YEA

Nearly 600 hours sunk in since launch day and I still love it. The roster and stage selections are also nearly perfect, IMO. Not only that but my two biggest wants are even here (Ridley, Aegis) and they're an absolute dream to play.

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
Yes, definitely. The core game play is fantastic and keeps me coming back.

That being said, I have a lot of criticisms of the game:

1. The online experience. Not good. Considering that this is the way I play most of the time, that is a huge downfall.

2. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I think the roster is too bloated and that there are too many characters. There are just way too many match ups to learn and I don't have a ton of time to put into it, so that gets frustrating.

3. Stages. Again, more bloat. There are too any similar stages, too many Mario stages, and not enough interesting new ones, imo. I would've cut a bunch of the older, similar stages in order to make room for a handful of cooler, newer ones.

4. Music. Again, quantity over quality. Some series are better than others. i.e. SNK/Terry's pack is on point, while Donkey Kong Country, a series known for it's amazing music, is missing some fantastic tracks in exchange for multiple versions of the same song. This can be said for many other series as well.

5. This is more of a personal annoyance, but Dr. Mario, Zero Suit Samus and avatar characters drive me bonkers. In a game where character crossover is the main appeal, including the same characters twice is just dumb. And it makes no sense that Samus can outdo herself without the suit. Dr. Mario is just Mario of course, but not an echo for some reason... yet Ken is an echo... it makes no sense. And the avatar characters, like Robin, Corrin, Steve and Villager, aren't actual defined characters and that bothers me. It's just my OCD and personal preference, but still.
6. World of Light and Spirits. Personal preference again, but I don't care about either of these. World of Light is tedious and not fun, and I just don't give a hoot about spirits. It seems like it was an excuse to break records by including spirits of so many characters. I think it was a waste of time and resources and would have preferred something else.

I know it sounds like I have a lot of negative things to say, but again, the core game play is great and the game is tons of fun, and ultimately, that's what matters.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Spirits mode was pretty fun and this is probably the best smash game to play with friends casually but it lacked a lot of passion the other games had, it’s obvious sakurai is overworked and I want to return to an aesthetic more similar to the ones pre-SSB4 games had. Also I wish it was more clear what this game was supposed to be because it didn’t really please people who wanted an ultimate videogame crossover and it didn’t really please people who wanted a nintendo crossover either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom