• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Now that generic enemies are on the table, who do you want?

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
like i said weirdness is subjective
What's even the point of a discussion forum if all anybody ever says is "That's subjective, that's subjective, that's subjective, that's your opinion, that's your opinion, that's subjective"?

I KNOW it's subjective. I gave you detailed reasons as to why I think the way I do. You don't need to tell me that it's subjective. Explain why you disagree or don't bother with the discussion. My god.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What's even the point of a discussion forum if all anybody ever says is "That's subjective, that's subjective, that's subjective, that's your opinion, that's your opinion, that's subjective"?

I KNOW it's subjective. I gave you detailed reasons as to why I think the way I do. You don't need to tell me that it's subjective. Explain why you disagree or don't bother with the discussion. My god.
geez man keep your cool dont bite my head cause i repeated myself, i did tell why i disagreed and why i dont consider wft a weird choice

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
geez man keep your cool dont bite my head cause i repeated myself, i did tell why i disagreed and why i dont consider wft a weird choice
It's still extremely weird to me. They could've just had her stage, or they could've made her an Assist Trophy, but they went and made her a full-blown playable character, with male/female varieties and everything. It's cool and all, but I still don't consider anyone else to be nearly as weird of an inclusion. I don't understand how your SUBJECTIVE OPINION™ could be different from mine.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's still extremely weird to me. They could've just had her stage, or they could've made her an Assist Trophy, but they went and made her a full-blown playable character, with male/female varieties and everything. It's cool and all, but I still don't consider anyone else to be nearly as weird of an inclusion.
Well I don’t think Sakurai ever said why he included wft, really it could just come down to he wanted them in and at the end of the day that’s all it takes

Either that or he was deliberately trying to surprise us

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Wasn't there a thread on here that wanted the WiiFit Board to be a playable character? Now that would have been a weird choice.

But this thread isn't about WiiFit Trainer this about generic enemies that would be fun in Smash.

Another Zelda enemy I would play the heck out of is a Lizalfos. Mainly I love playing Lizard like creatures like Lizardfolk or Argonians.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Freaking. Titan. Dweevil. Here's a moveset for it:

Neutral-Flare Cannon

Side-Shock Therapist

Up-Monster Pump

Down-Comedy Bomb

Final Smash-Waterwraith's Rampage

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think most generic Pikmin enemies can be pretty interesting characters, especially Bulborbs.

It's still extremely weird to me. They could've just had her stage, or they could've made her an Assist Trophy, but they went and made her a full-blown playable character, with male/female varieties and everything. It's cool and all, but I still don't consider anyone else to be nearly as weird of an inclusion. I don't understand how your SUBJECTIVE OPINION™ could be different from mine.
I'd say :ultduckhunt: is a weirder fighter.

Not sure why are you acting like "weird" is a defined term like "generic mook".

UserKev

Smash Champion
The Rhynocs are my next pipe dream, there's literally no chance for them, but they have an incredible source of movest potential.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Shadow Beast from Twilight Princess. Koopa/Dry Bones from Mario. (King Boo and Captain Toad are individual characters in my opinion)
Space Pirate and Chozo from Metroid.
Djinn from Golden Sun.
Rabbids from Rayman.
I'm sure there's more I would like to see but those were the first I could think of.

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
Plant was from a overrepresented franchise. Of course plant is a well known obstacle, there was imo no need for it to represent the Mario franchise, as it was pretty well represented.

If we are to get any generic enemies at all I'd be for enemies from less good represented franchises. So no goombas, no zubats, no koopas etc.
I'd prefer something like a Kremlin, a bokoblin, heck maybe even a Deku plant as a plant echoe, I know bandana dee is his own character, but since he is a waddle dee he is kind of this middle ground as the one outstanding character among the generic enemies...

I have to say the longer I think about the less excitement I find about this idea. Those slots could be given to much better characters than generic enemies. A Revali would serve much more purpose to the roster than a bokoblin, dixie or cranky would do a much better job in representing the dk franchise than a kremlin, Isaac is from the biggest currently unrepresented first party franchise and should actually take priority over a generic enemy type, It might be an unpopular oppinion but waluigi would represent the Mario franchise better than for example a Goomba, a Koopa or a Piranha Plant. The same goes for Geno.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Plant was from a overrepresented franchise. Of course plant is a well known obstacle, there was imo no need for it to represent the Mario franchise, as it was pretty well represented.

If we are to get any generic enemies at all I'd be for enemies from less good represented franchises. So no goombas, no zubats, no koopas etc.
I'd prefer something like a Kremlin, a bokoblin, heck maybe even a Deku plant as a plant echoe, I know bandana dee is his own character, but since he is a waddle dee he is kind of this middle ground as the one outstanding character among the generic enemies...

I have to say the longer I think about the less excitement I find about this idea. Those slots could be given to much better characters than generic enemies. A Revali would serve much more purpose to the roster than a bokoblin, dixie or cranky would do a much better job in representing the dk franchise than a kremlin, Isaac is from the biggest currently unrepresented first party franchise and should actually take priority over a generic enemy type, It might be an unpopular oppinion but waluigi would represent the Mario franchise better than for example a Goomba, a Koopa or a Piranha Plant. The same goes for Geno.
toad would represent the franchise much better than all of them

ze9

Smash Ace
I haven't read all the 6 pages of the thread, but I hope somebody brought up the unquestionably best choice for a new playable generic enemy:

1452975465422.gif

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace

I can see where you're coming from. For the most part I don't really actually want generic characters, but I really do think Space Pirate would be a nice addition and I just really like the Shadow Beasts and think they could fit too.

I also agree with Minik though that it's not all about franchise representation and is more about what is fun and unique tho and Piranha Plant is definitely both of those things.

I think Geno wouldn't really be representing Mario so much as he would the beloved one-of-a-kind Mario rpg game which the Mario & Luigi games really haven't been able to rival even though they're great in their own right. There is just nothing quite like SMRPG and Geno just has insane moveset potential...like it's super ridiculous how much fun he could be, but I am obviously biased about that and respect your opinion and understand it's unlikely any of the afformentioned characters would make it into the game because of some of the points you've made.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The Starmen could be amazing playable enemies, its their complex body structures that really holds them back.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Piranha plant is already bad enough..and now there are people who want generic characters instead of the actually cool characters that matter?!
i say NO to generic characters!
"Characters that matter" is extremely subjective. Characters often matter a lot to people when their games first come out but then lose their popularity pretty quickly. Chrom is the perfect example of this trend although fire emblem heroes does what it can to keep older characters in the spotlight. A character like Piranha Plant is a character that matters from the perspective that it's been in like every Mario game and people instantly recognize it and it's just different from other kinds of characters on the roster. He might not matter to you but a lot of people like the Plant.

I don't want to belabor anything I've already said but in my opinion Space Pirate from Metroid would be a lot of fun and in a way would matter more than the one-off individual characters that some people champion for although I'm certainly not opposed to someone like Sylux making it in from Metroid. There are places where generic enemies or characters make sense but no they shouldn't take the fairy bottle item and turn it into a playable character over individual characters from LoZ. The only reason I mentioned Koopa/Dry Bones before is because I think a moveset for that character writes itself and would be different enough to be fun and unique although some moves might be similar to Squirtle's.

I personally think that we should be excited for any character that makes it in even if it's not who we want. I know I'll probably never get to play as Geno or even that maybe he would get in and I wouldn't like the way he played and I just couldn't get used to his kit like with Ridley but I'd still be excited he's in and other people maybe really connect with his kit and enjoy playing him. Smash is all about including everyone and sometimes to do that you need gimmicky characters like Plant or blank slates like Villager.

I might not get the characters I want but I'm never going to sit here and complain about who we get to play as. I look at The Hero and see another generic sword fighter with some other gimmicks from a franchise I never got in to, but I'm still so happy for Dragon Quest fans and am glad they get to play as someone that they are excited to see come to Smash and I'll still play him and try him out and who knows I might even really connect with the character. The more characters they add, the more likely a person is to find a character from a franchise they never gave a chance and give it a try and then from there they might find a whole new series to play and talk about. This happened with me when I first started playing Marth in Melee. You never know. Maybe space pirate gets added and people who never connected to other Metroid fighters or played Metroid suddenly find a character they really enjoy and give the games a try and fall in love with something that is new to them. Just because it's unexciting to us doesn't mean it's not exciting at all.

Obviously this is all my opinion and I can understand being skeptical about Piranha Plant and not wanting other generic characters, but just try to understand how it opens up the door for some exciting possibilities like...I don't know say Black Mage from Final Fantasy? Or Infantry Unit from Advanced Wars. I don't think that a character like Djinn from Golden Sun should be in Smash BEFORE a character like Isaac same with Rabbids and Rayman but I'm definitely not opposed to them making it in at all. The more the merrier. I should stop here before I ramble further.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Either one of these two would be great.
Bokoblins would also be a cool enemy for Smash.
I also want a Mettaur from Mega Man.
That's about it. I don't want too many generic enemies, but I don't mind them in between the bigger and more important additions.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's about it. I don't want too many generic enemies, but I don't mind them in between the bigger and more important additions.
the eggpawn would be fun

The Lynel is my ultimate pick from Zelda BoTW.
and would the version from the older games be acceptable?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
You seem to like Motobugs so here:

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The scariest enemy of them all.

The BotW Lynel

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean the most popular form is a LARVA Metroid (Normal Metroid)

it could be like Pirahna Plant and use Attacks from Alpha,Beta,Gamma,Omega,Phazon or other Metoids

or its this boy

I personaly think a Metoid is the best next Metroid Rep
thats been my thinking of how a metroid could play as, even before PP

HARBlNGER

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking about how a BoTW Guardian would work as a fighter, and I'm starting to really hope it actually gets in. Plenty of stuff to do with it.
That's actually a pretty neat idea. I can already picture the Guardian having Ivysaur's n-air and the beam as neutral-b.

Top Bottom