• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Now on Discord and Twitter - Maverick Hunter Zero Support Thread

D

Deleted member

Zero

First Appearance: Mega Man X (SNES - 1993)​

Who is Zero?

Zero is a prominent character in the Mega Man franchise, serving as a secondary protagonist in the Mega Man X series and later starring in his own series of games set one century later titled Mega Man Zero.

Created by the original Mega Man's arch nemesis Dr. Wily for evil purposes, this Reploid (a robot with the thought capacity of a human) joined the 17th Elite Unit of the Maverick Hunters after being found in a cave by Commander Sigma. Since then, he befriended a fellow hunter named Mega Man X and aided him in defeating armies of Mavericks (Reploids that went haywire and turned evil) lead by Sigma, who betrayed the Maverick Hunters. In the Mega Man Zero series, Zero battled the corrupt government of Neo Arcadia.

Zero has also commonly appeared in crossovers including the Capcom Vs. series, Project X Zone 1 & 2, in Smash 4 as a trophy and Mii costume, and soon to be Smash Ultimate as an Assist Trophy. To the surprise of probably many, he was even playable in SvC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 while no incarnation of Mega Man was present.

Disclaimer: I would rather NOT have the newest Smash be a repeat of SvC Chaos and MvC3.

Design and Moveset

In the Mega Man X series barring X1 and its PSP remake, Maverick Hunter X, Zero's appearance is exactly as depicted in the image near the top of this post. He would later receive a drastic redesign (directly above) in the Mega Man Zero series due to a change in art style.

The weapons and abilities Zero obtains also differ between both series, though he has always been primarily a close-range fighter in X2 onward, his signature weapon being his Z-Saber. This is a contrast to Mega Man primarily having long-range weapons in his arsenal.

Both designs have made their share of fighting game appearances; SvC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom and Onimusha: Blade Warriors both featured MMZ Zero, whereas Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and most recently Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite all featured his X series look. Witnessing Zero's varied movesets from these games in action may give you an idea of how he could potentially fight in Smash.

SvC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom Gameplay
Onimusha: Blade Warriors Gameplay
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Gameplay
Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Gameplay
Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite Gameplay

Other Zero supporters here have made their own hypothetical movesets.

Neutral special - Hadangeki - Zero throws a crescent-shaped projectile from his saber. Think of it like Blade Beam, but much faster.

Forward special- Hienkyaku - Zero's dash. When used, Zero will gain a sudden burst of speed and zip a short distance in whatever direction he's facing. If he jumps while dashing, he will jump more horizontally, and this works in the air, as well. He can also use his down special while dashing.

Down special - Z-Buster - Zero begins to charge his buster. The longer, the charge, the stronger the shot. You can still attack while charging, so long as the button is still held.

Up special - Ryuenjin - Zero lights the Z-Saber on fire and takes a large leap with it. Similar to Blazer, but weaker and with more recovery potential.

Rekkoha - Zero pounds the ground and summons several bolts of light to rain down on the stage, launching any who touch them. Think PK Starstorm from Brawl.

Sougenmu - Zero creates a copy of himself that will imitate any action that Zero takes. This can be used for damaging combos, or for just overwhelming the opponent in general, I.e, spamming Hadangekis.

Genmurei - With a mighty slash, Zero launches two giant Hadangekis, one on top of the other, that move so fast and have such tall vertical range that even the likes of Jigglypuff would be unable to jump over them. These projectiles deal immense damage and knockback, and Zero can fire three waves of them before the Final Smash ends.
View attachment 151933
Z-Saber: The bread and butter of Zero's arsenal. Can be used with various elements.

View attachment 151952
A simple forward slash. Part of Zero's standard saber combo in X6.

View attachment 151934
Shoenzan: An upwards slash imbued with fire. (X6)

Couldn't be bothered to find an actual clip of it, but in X5 Zero can kneel down and slash at the ground with his saber.

View attachment 151935
Raijingeki: Zero thrusts his sword forward pulsing with electricity. (X4)

View attachment 151955
Shoryuken: Yes, the signature Capcom uppercut. This time, infused with ice. In Smash, this would have no horizontal range, and vertical range comparable to Sonic's USmash. (X8)

View attachment 151936
Rakuhouha: Zero slams his fist on the ground, sending out energy waves. Slow to execute. (X4)

View attachment 151937
Kuuenzan: Zero spins in a rolling slash. (X4)

View attachment 151940
A simple, forward saber slash. (X6)

View attachment 151939
Sentsuizan: An airborne variant of Shippuuga. (X6)

View attachment 151941
Rakukojin: Zero turns his blade into metal and thrusts downward. (X6)

No reference, but Uair could be a straight upwards thrust of the Z-Saber on fire thanks to Ryuenjin (X4)

View attachment 151944
Z-Buster: Fires a single medium-sized shot that travels at a moderate speed. (X5/X6)

View attachment 151953
Guard Shell: a reflector. (X6)

View attachment 151946
W-Shredder: Sends out an afterimage of Zero that strikes a target. Similar to Zelda's Phantom Slash. (X5)

View attachment 151950
E-Blade: Zero thrusts upwards in a rising electric slash. (X5)

View attachment 151951
Shippuuga: A dashing slash. (X4)

View attachment 151956
Awakened Zero's Genmurei: Zero succumbs to the Zero virus and unleashes two massive conjoined Saber strikes that zoom across the screen. In X5 this is instant-death. (X5/X6)
Normals:
Neutral A: His signature three slash combo

Air Neutral A:

Dash Attack:

Throw: Chain Rod - Similar to Link's grab.

------------------------------
Smash Attacks:
Side: Charged Z-Saber Blast

Up: Charged Triple Rod attack

Down: Z-Knuckles

------------------------------
Special Moves:
Neutral B: Buster Shot/Tractor Shot

Side B: Gale Attack/Raikousen

Up B: Tenshouzan/Ryuenjin

Down B: Filter Shield/Ice Boomerang

Final Smash: WIP

What are his chances?

In the August Direct for Smash Ultimate, Zero was one of the first Assist Trophies to be showcased, essentially disconfirming him. However, he may or may not retain his role in future installments.

Music

Zero Theme (X1)
Zero Theme (Maverick Hunter X)
Zero Theme (X2)
Zero Theme - SNES Ver. (X3)
Zero Theme - Arranged Ver. (X3)
Sky Lagoon - Zero (X4)
Eurasia City: Broken Highway - Zero (X5)
Awake Road Again (X7)
Standby, Zero (Command Mission)
Zero Theme (Zero 1)
Departure (Zero 2)
Break Out (Zero 3)
Caravan - Hope For Freedom (Zero 4)
Fallen City ~ Departure (Onimusha: Blade Warriors)
Zero Theme (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Zero Theme (Project X Zone)
Zero Theme (Project X Zone 2)
Zero Theme (Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite)

3rd Elite Unit of Zero Supporters

@Xeno VII
AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27
Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen
Cool Trainer Ace Cool Trainer Ace
MarioMeteor MarioMeteor
Jason the Yoshi Jason the Yoshi
@Tord the Red Leader
Windstar Windstar
Oblivion129 Oblivion129
@Meta_X
Al-kīmiyā' Al-kīmiyā'
SchAlternate SchAlternate
SethTheMage SethTheMage
Runic_SSB Runic_SSB
S SEGAGameBoy
smash puffle smash puffle
Tornado_Man Tornado_Man
Mrs.Milky Mrs.Milky
Freezerburn Freezerburn
MacDaddyNook MacDaddyNook
toonito toonito
@psb123
3DSNinja 3DSNinja
NinjaSmash_414 NinjaSmash_414

Come join our Discord and Twitter as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Still support the best Mega Man husbando.

Yes, I went there.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I think Zero would work great in Smash. I even thought of a mini moveset for him.
Neutral special - Hadangeki - Zero throws a crescent-shaped projectile from his saber. Think of it like Blade Beam, but much faster.

Forward special- Hienkyaku - Zero's dash. When used, Zero will gain a sudden burst of speed and zip a short distance in whatever direction he's facing. If he jumps while dashing, he will jump more horizontally, and this works in the air, as well. He can also use his down special while dashing.

Down special - Z-Buster - Zero begins to charge his buster. The longer, the charge, the stronger the shot. You can still attack while charging, so long as the button is still held.

Up special - Ryuenjin - Zero lights the Z-Saber on fire and takes a large leap with it. Similar to Blazer, but weaker and with more recovery potential.
Rekkoha - Zero pounds the ground and summons several bolts of light to rain down on the stage, launching any who touch them. Think PK Starstorm from Brawl.

Sougenmu - Zero creates a copy of himself that will imitate any action that Zero takes. This can be used for damaging combos, or for just overwhelming the opponent in general, I.e, spamming Hadangekis.

Genmurei - With a mighty slash, Zero launches two giant Hadangekis, one on top of the other, that move so fast and have such tall vertical range that even the likes of Jigglypuff would be unable to jump over them. These projectiles deal immense damage and knockback, and Zero can fire three waves of them before the Final Smash ends.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Question, how would you all feel if they were to give Zero an alt based on his Mega Man Zero appearance?

Sure the Zero series is obscure and far less popular than X, but I feel it would be an interesting idea.

D

Deleted member

Question, how would you all feel if they were to give Zero an alt based on his Mega Man Zero appearance?

Sure the Zero series is obscure and far less popular than X, but I feel it would be an interesting idea.
I wouldn't mind it, though I'd expect a simple palette swap like in UMvC3.

D

Deleted member

Source Gaming uploaded their newest Character Corner dedicated to the Mega Man series, featuring Ash Paulsen of GameXplain (so yes, it's nearly a half hour long).

Skip to 20:14 if you just want to hear their thoughts on Zero.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Source Gaming uploaded their newest Character Corner dedicated to the Mega Man series, featuring Ash Paulsen of GameXplain (so yes, it's nearly a half hour long).

Skip to 20:14 if you just want to hear their thoughts on Zero.
No Servbot? Disliked. Unsubbed. The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (who I wish they'd touched on as well) and MvC2 clearly proves it'd be the best secondary MM rep.

D

Deleted member

Not to be the party pooper, but a supposed roster (well, at least base roster) of MVCI has been "leaked" (Potential Spoilers, read at your own risk) by Ryce (the same guy who "leaked" MVCI in the first place).......

............and it doesn't have Zero on it.

............oh yeah and Zero's cool for Smash too, count me in (even though i now know how X's fans felt in 3)

Now if you excuse im going to sing Yesterday from the Beatles in a Dark Corner....

D

Deleted member

Not to be the party pooper, but a supposed roster (well, at least base roster) of MVCI has been "leaked" (Potential Spoilers, read at your own risk) by Ryce (the same guy who "leaked" MVCI in the first place).......

............and it doesn't have Zero on it.

............oh yeah and Zero's cool for Smash too, count me in (even though i now know how X's fans felt in 3)

Now if you excuse im going to sing Yesterday from the Beatles in a Dark Corner....
I read the news as well before you posted here.

While I'm not extremely salty about it, the supposed lack of Zero in MvCI (at least on the base roster, though I'm not getting my hopes up for him being DLC) has given me a similar feeling of disappointment to the lack of any Mega Man incarnation in (U)MvC3.

D

Deleted member

Apologies for the double post, but our worries can be put to rest now that Zero has been officially confirmed for Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite.

D

Deleted member

Apologies for the double post, but our worries can be put to rest now that Zero has been officially confirmed for Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite.

I feel really mixed.

On one hand, im really happy at the fact that there's a fighting were i can have a X/Zero combo. I legeitimaley squealed when i saw Zero. IF i ever get this game, it will be my default team.......

.......And that's the problem, the more i look at the game, the less pleasing it looks (what happened to Chun Li, dear god) and that really sucks, i want to be excited at this game, i have interest in getting it ,yet there's some issues that just make it harder for me to be looking foward to it:

-The artsyle. Im really starting to understand as to why some people hate it, and while i don't despise it, i can see it's shortcomings. (again, Chun Li)

-The DLC practices by Capcom. Im already upset at the fact that Sigma and Black Panther have been announced as DLC before the game was even released. What's worse is that both of them are key characters in the story mode, so it's only more insulting.

-Marvel is really trying to push the cinematic universe here, and it's presence it's undeniable, but it honestly makes the game feel less like a crossover between companies and more like a movie-licensed game (and not in a good way).

-The roster seems to be kinda bland. I'll be honest, i have X and Zero, 2 of my favorite game characters together at last, so i can't complain too much, but the marvel side seems...not to my taste, and it would be a travesty to not have any X-Men characters (even if they only appear as DLC, i would still be OK with it, if Disney can make a deal with Sony when it came to Spiderman films, im pretty sure they can do the same with 20th Century Fox and the X-Men) not having the X-Men would be an insult to the origins of the Marvel VS Capcom franchise.
But if Venom and Firebrand come back, then i suppose i will be OK with the roster, but i don't think the rest of the fanbase will. Speaking of which.....

-The fanbase doesn't seem too excited of this game anymore, whether be the game's supposed leaked roster (just because Zero was confirmed playable doesn't mean the leak is 100% dead, since said leak also mentioned Arthur and Dante and Lo and behold, here they are, not to mention the laker missed 1 capcom character, and Zero is likely that guy) the constant jabs at the game's presentation comparing it to a Mobile game, and so on and so on. I don't balme them. Capcom has been screwing up constantly (although i don't wanna antagonize them either, i understand some of their descisions, key word beign some) It's hard to be excited about something when everybody else seems to hate it at mock it at every chance they get.

I mean look at the like/Dislike bar ratio........that just looks like a bad sign of things to come.

But i better stop here, i already wrote way more that it was neccessary, and i need to sleep, (it's 1:06 A.M here) so while i love having Zero back, everything else surrounding this game gives me bad bives.

EDIT: It seems Capcom can use the X-men, but Marvel doesn't want to use them because they are not part of the cinematic universe (you know, 20th Century Fox and all that), which sucks even more.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I feel really mixed.

On one hand, im really happy at the fact that there's a fighting were i can have a X/Zero combo. I legeitimaley squealed when i saw Zero. IF i ever get this game, it will be my default team.......

.......And that's the problem, the more i look at the game, the less pleasing it looks (what happened to Chun Li, dear god) and that really sucks, i want to be excited at this game, i have interest in getting it ,yet there's some issues that just make it harder for me to be looking foward to it:

-The artsyle. Im really starting to understand as to why some people hate it, and while i don't despise it, i can see it's shortcomings. (again, Chun Li)

-The DLC practices by Capcom. Im already upset at the fact that Sigma and Black Panther have been announced as DLC before the game was even released. What's worse is that both of them are key characters in the story mode, so it's only more insulting.

-Marvel is really trying to push the cinematic universe here, and it's presence it's undeniable, but it honestly makes the game feel less like a crossover between companies and more like a movie-licensed game (and not in a good way).

-The roster seems to be kinda bland. I'll be honest, i have X and Zero, 2 of my favorite game characters together at last, so i can't complain too much, but the marvel side seems...not to my taste, and it would be a travesty to not have any X-Men characters (even if they only appear as DLC, i would still be OK with it, if Disney can make a deal with Sony when it came to Spiderman films, im pretty sure they can do the same with 20th Century Fox and the X-Men) not having the X-Men would be an insult to the origins of the Marvel VS Capcom franchise.
But if Venom and Firebrand come back, then i suppose i will be OK with the roster, but i don't think the rest of the fanbase will. Speaking of which.....

-The fanbase doesn't seem too excited of this game anymore, whether be the game's supposed leaked roster (just because Zero was confirmed playable doesn't mean the leak is 100% dead, since said leak also mentioned Arthur and Dante and Lo and behold, here they are, not to mention the laker missed 1 capcom character, and Zero is likely that guy) the constant jabs at the game's presentation comparing it to a Mobile game, and so on and so on. I don't balme them. Capcom has been screwing up constantly (although i don't wanna antagonize them either, i understand some of their descisions, key word beign some) It's hard to be excited about something when everybody else seems to hate it at mock it at every chance they get.

I mean look at the like/Dislike bar ratio........that just looks like a bad sign of things to come.

But i better stop here, i already wrote way more that it was neccessary, and i need to sleep, (it's 1:06 A.M here) so while i love having Zero back, everything else surrounding this game gives me bad bives.

EDIT: It seems Capcom can use the X-men, but Marvel doesn't want to use them because they are not part of the cinematic universe (you know, 20th Century Fox and all that), which sucks even more.
I agree with everything you said. I was really hyped when this was announced, and getting Zero back, I should be elated, but I'm not. You're so on point with the story it hurts, like you said, it feels like they're pushing MCU and not really making it about the crossover.

DLC practices are still ****.

The fact there's no Xmen confirmed yet or Spiderman is absolutely disgusting. Absolutely could be tied to the fact neithers movie licenses are owned by Disney/MCU. If Wolverine AND Spiderman don't make it, I won't buy, simple as that.

I fear this is a shill game for Marvel or Disney and it's really disappointing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Along with Mega Man 11 being announced and both Legacy Collections getting Switch ports, all eight mainline X games will be compiled for PS4, Xbox One, PC, and Switch. This marks the first time X7 and X8 are playable on a Nintendo platform, as well as the X series' debut on the Xbox brand.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I support Zero! If there's another ballot I'd vote for him again. He's already been in like 5 crossovers and is a good fit for Smash.

D

Deleted member

So the upcoming collection will be split in two parts, one with X1-X4 and the other with X5-X8. (Yeah, I don't think anyone's doubting that the former will sell more.) It'll also include the Day of Sigma movie from Maverick Hunter X, among other bonus content.

EDIT: And the physical version will have both in one package.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
As cool as Zero is, the main reason I would want him is if he were to make extensive use of his energy chain spike.

D

Deleted member

Here's some gameplay of the new X Challenge mode, featuring the respective ice-themed bosses of X1 and X4, Chill Penguin and Frost Walrus.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Zero would be sick. I don't care how many Capcom crossover games he's been in already; he's consistently been one of my favorite video game characters of all time. Support.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I support both Zero and Megaman X. Even though I've only played 1 Mega Man game. 2 if you count Mighty No. 9. I've only played Mega Man Battle Network 5: Double Team DS. Also, add me to support list, please.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I support Zero as well. He was one of my two votes on the ballot and the logical choice for a second Mega Man rep.

jab.gif

Z-Saber: The bread and butter of Zero's arsenal. Can be used with various elements.

ftilt.gif

utilt.gif

Couldn't be bothered to find an actual clip of it, but in X5 Zero can kneel down and slash at the ground with his saber.

fsmash.gif

Usmash.gif

Shoryuken: Yes, the signature Capcom uppercut. This time, infused with ice. In Smash, this would have no horizontal range, and vertical range comparable to Sonic's USmash. (X8)

dsmash.gif

Rakuhouha: Zero slams his fist on the ground, sending out energy waves. Slow to execute. (X4)

nair.gif

fair.gif

bair.gif

dair.gif

No reference, but Uair could be a straight upwards thrust of the Z-Saber on fire thanks to Ryuenjin (X4)

neutralb.gif

Z-Buster: Fires a single medium-sized shot that travels at a moderate speed. (X5/X6)

sideb.gif

downb.gif

W-Shredder: Sends out an afterimage of Zero that strikes a target. Similar to Zelda's Phantom Slash. (X5)

upb.gif

dash attack.gif

genmureizero.png

Awakened Zero's Genmurei: Zero succumbs to the Zero virus and unleashes two massive conjoined Saber strikes that zoom across the screen. In X5 this is instant-death. (X5/X6)

thumbupzero.png

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
i'll most definitely support zero! I feel he'd be a great addition...I mean he has a trophy and a mii costume, it could mean something lol

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Hey if zero had a reveal trailer how would it go?

(Sorry for the double post or does it not count since it's been like days apart)

D

Deleted member

Hey if zero had a reveal trailer how would it go?

(Sorry for the double post or does it not count since it's been like days apart)
I've already double posted once in this thread, and that was also weeks, if not days apart from the previous post, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I support Zero as well. He was one of my two votes on the ballot and the logical choice for a second Mega Man rep.

View attachment 151933

View attachment 151952

View attachment 151934

View attachment 151935

View attachment 151955

View attachment 151936

View attachment 151937

View attachment 151940

View attachment 151939

View attachment 151941

View attachment 151944

View attachment 151953

View attachment 151946

View attachment 151950

View attachment 151951

View attachment 151956

View attachment 151957
This is awesome! Thanks for posting. I'd also like to add in that I'd love it if he had an air dash. Having his own mechanic of dashing in the air when pressing forward twice. (Either that or make it his sideB but I'd prefer if it as its own thing.)

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
This is awesome! Thanks for posting. I'd also like to add in that I'd love it if he had an air dash. Having his own mechanic of dashing in the air when pressing forward twice. (Either that or make it his sideB but I'd prefer if it as its own thing.)
In X5, Zero can air dash and attack at the same time using a technique copied from Tidal Whale, F-Splasher.

This may seem stupid but I have a few possibilities on why zero would be on smash.
Anyone wanna hear?
Feel free. The MMXLCs are definitely not plausible reasons though.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
In X5, Zero can air dash and attack at the same time using a technique copied from Tidal Whale, F-Splasher.

Feel free. The MMXLCs are definitely not plausible reasons though.
Oki dookie
- Has a Mii costume. Could this be due to doing well on polls or something else?
-has a trophy as well.This may mean nothing but it's interesting.
-Zero seems to be a popular pick by Capcom to be thrown into crossover games with a few exceptions of course. His latest being mvc infinite back in 2017.
-he doesn't have much competition in his own series as a whole. Both protoman and bass were deconfirmed, who were either a Mii costume or trophy but put in megamans final smash. Does this mean zero have some type of role as well?
-yes I know you said mmxlc isn't a plausible reason but if dlc ever happens they could use zero as a promotion for the game or at least it helps the "relevancy" argument in his case in dlc(as the games may of been too late for the finalized roster )
- in a poll, zero ranked top 25 or 30(his zero counterpart I believe)
-The possibly of zero being a assist trophy is still in the air but if that was the case, they would've just showed him off already at E3.
-zero again also has some competition taken away from him due to some highly requested characters not making the cut(waluigi, Krystal, takamaru and even bomberman)
[Some cons]
-Zero does have competition with other characters in the company itself but with the reasons I stated above, he has a slight of a edge.
-Pretty much a 3rd party character but has the biggest chance this time around.

*Takes off tinfoil hat*

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Zero has been confirmed to be an Assist Trophy, which pretty much disconfirms him being playable. A remix of the Central Highway (opening stage) theme from X1 was also confirmed alongside him.

Honestly, while I'd prefer him to be playable, I'm also content with this.

Top Bottom