• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest Smash at The Geek Group (Grand Rapids, MI)

Smash at The Geek Group (Grand Rapids, MI)
Posted by Anasazi
The Geek Group
Friday, January 19, 2018 - 05:00 PM
Until: Friday, January 19, 2018 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: America/New_York)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/New_York

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Anasazi

Smash Rookie
Welcome to Smash at The Geek Group!
This is a weekly local for Melee/PM in the GR area featuring a double elimination bracket. There is a side event every week and it can vary from a Doubles bracket to a Crew Battle, the event type is often decided by public opinion at the event (TO has the final say).

Tournament Organizers:
Briggs
Anasazi
Cartoffel

Main Events:
Melee Singles
PM Singles (if there's enough interest & setups)

Side Event:
TBD

Pricing:
Venue Fee: $5 per person (or $20 for a Geek Group membership good for one month (with some paperwork to fill out)); able to be paid directly to the Geek Group by card or with cash. (There are currently no venue fee refunds, even with a setup. All venue fee money goes to the Geek Group for allowing us to use their space.)
Melee Singles: $5 per person, cash only.
PM Singles: $5 per person, cash only.
Side Event: FREE!

(Tentative) Schedule:
5:00 PM-6:00 PM - Registration starts, setup of TVs and consoles
6:15 PM - Melee Singles start
6:30 PM - PM Singles start (pending interest)
7:45 PM - Side Event starts
9:00 PM - Pack everything up

The event will be streamed on https://www.twitch.tv/slyben with the full broadcast being archived there as well (Shoutouts to Slyben for streaming it).
The VOD's will later be broken out into matches and hosted at https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBarrellRoller (Shoutouts to Cartoffel for doing all the work that entails.)

There are several parking spaces in front of the Geek Group as well as a parking lot behind it if you turn onto Widdicomb Ave. Please bring TVs and setups to help this run as smoothly as possible. Also, PLEASE BRING CASH IN SMALLER DENOMINATIONS so we don't have to ask the Geek Group (or the TO) to split a ton of 20s.

Food and drink are allowed in the venue, BUT CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF. The Geek Group is within a few blocks of several restaurants, including McDonald's, Burger King, Little Caesars, Domino's, Taco Bell, Arnie's and New Great Wall Buffet. (Some of the attendees have also taken to going out to eat after the tournament at various other restaurants in the area.)

Osudude5

Smash Rookie
I live near Kalamazoo and don't get out of work until 5. I might go, but it would be nice if I could register via email or something. Help please. Also, how many people are usually there? I will most likely be bringing 2 others.

Last edited:

Anasazi

Smash Rookie
Sorry I missed replying earlier this week, but there's a Facebook event that we always make up in the West MI Smash group and I watch that more than the smashboards. If you're on FB that'd be the best way to get in immediate contact with any of us TO's. Link to group page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WestMISmash
You're not the only person (or group of people) to come up from Kzoo, because of this bracket usually starts a little later than the 6:05 time listed, probably more like 6:15, and we can always wait a little longer if we know you're coming.
Usual turnout is about 12, today we had a good showing at 16 in spite of some of our usual suspects not attending because they went to MSU for a PM bi-weekly.
Here's a link to the FB event, I'll be sure to post the next one in there as well: https://www.facebook.com/events/321599901635989/

Top Bottom