• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Nov 15, 2014] Smash 101 (Oak Park, IL)

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
Smash 101
Saturday October 18, 2014

Tired of getting spiked, bopped, bodied, and frauded? Then it’s time to put in work and expand your skills!

Want to help your fellow Smashers step up their game? Then it’s time to offer support and guidance to benefit not only them but the Chicago-land Smash community as a whole.

This event is open to ALL players and is meant to raise everyone's skill level and strengthen the bonds of the Chicago-land Smash Community!
Players will have hours of friendlies and the opportunity to be coached by highly skilled players.

Venue
EXP Gaming
6441 North Ave. Suite 102 Oak Park, IL 60302
708-613-4609

Main Events
-HYPE Crew Battles (Melee & PM)
-Character Specific Lessons
**Additional setups are welcome and appreciated!

Stream
STREAMED BY WINDY CITY SMASH
http://www.twitch.tv/windycitysmash

Tentative Schedule
5:00pm – Venue opens
7:00pm – Melee Crews
8:00pm - PM Crews
10:00pm - Lessons
1:00am - Venue closes

Cost
Venue Fee - $5

Last edited:

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
This is a great idea. Maybe we can add Brawl too? There are tons of very new Brawl players lately--much more so than PM/Melee--and I feel like they would benefit just as much, if not more, from a teacher. It doesn't have to be a full-blown thing, since I'm sure there are less Brawl teachers available than PM/Melee teachers, but maybe just have one or two dedicated setups for Brawl and designate a few teachers (myself, and maybe Arty, Ook, and Hoenn). These new Brawl kids are very determined to get better and I'm sure the increased turnout will be worth it.

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
This is a great idea. Maybe we can add Brawl too? There are tons of very new Brawl players lately--much more so than PM/Melee--and I feel like they would benefit just as much, if not more, from a teacher. It doesn't have to be a full-blown thing, since I'm sure there are less Brawl teachers available than PM/Melee teachers, but maybe just have one or two dedicated setups for Brawl and designate a few teachers (myself, and maybe Arty, Ook, and Hoenn). These new Brawl kids are very determined to get better and I'm sure the increased turnout will be worth it.
Updated

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I don't mind teaching any smash game, for what it's worth. A lot of fundamentals carry over to every game and I don't think I'm bad at any game. I'm just not uber tier like Kelly at Melee.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
I (Swag Train) am also able to teach any Smash game. LOL. Also I am going to hype the **** out of these crews.

StarFruit

Smash Cadet
The Naperville crew is gone at college...I thought smash was ded. Then DLA says there has been stuff and I'm super excited to see this. The fruit based on stars is totally down for this. Looking forward to some tips. B there or b [] (rectangle?)

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I actually may not make it on Saturday, taking the GF to a fancy Peruvian restaurant this weekend. Gotta pick between the GHQ tournament on Friday and this... I'd pick this but GHQ is like 1/3rd of the distance. If yall see me at GHQ then feel free to ask for some training, I'd be glad to help.

Bean Yak

Smash Cadet
NNID
Catman789
This event is open to ALL players and is meant to raise everyone's skill level and strengthen the bonds of the Chicago-land Smash Community!
So the event is partially meant to build friendships within our community, but does it actually work? As a regular at the venue, would you say that you know people on a first name (not smash tag) basis and hang out with some of them outside the lounge? I'm afraid I just don't see that happening. I guess I'm being a pessimist, but at the last monthly in November, a lot of people never strayed too far from the people that they already know and the people they came with. I'm sure Smash 101 is meant to break that, I just hope it will actually endorse openness between all of the patrons.

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
I apologize if you felt like people weren't inviting towards you at the monthly. A large number of them were first timers at EXP like yourself, perhaps they just wanted to stick near the people they knew. All of the players who come into EXP regularly are friendly and inviting. Some people want to be referred to by name, some by tag, and for most either one is fine. Some people hangout outside of EXP, but for others EXP is the hangout. If you are looking for more/new friends in the community I encourage you to attend Smash 101 and more specifically Wavedash Wednesdays. You will definitely meet friendly people at these events.

azzucips

Smash Cadet
NNID
Azzucips
3DS FC
1461-6305-7845
So the event is partially meant to build friendships within our community, but does it actually work? As a regular at the venue, would you say that you know people on a first name (not smash tag) basis and hang out with some of them outside the lounge? I'm afraid I just don't see that happening. I guess I'm being a pessimist, but at the last monthly in November, a lot of people never strayed too far from the people that they already know and the people they came with. I'm sure Smash 101 is meant to break that, I just hope it will actually endorse openness between all of the patrons.

One of my closer friends is someone I barely met at EXP the first time I came there ... >_>

Bean Yak

Smash Cadet
NNID
Catman789
I wasn't trying to make a complaint, if that's the way that it seemed, I was just kind of doubting the effectiveness of the event, but I'll take your word for it and I might attend. thanks.

azzucips

Smash Cadet
NNID
Azzucips
3DS FC
1461-6305-7845
Lied you did amazing in that crew battle :eek:

Reposting because i didn't realize I was in the wrong thread lololol

Bean Yak

Smash Cadet
NNID
Catman789
Totally regret not going. The crew battles looked hype on the stream, even though it's just a bunch of friendlies.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
i think alot of people are going up to michigan for a tourney on saturday...i dont know if im going yet (schedule conflicts). but if not ill definitely be at exp for this and i can do smash 101 for pm.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I think they are monthly like EXPosure. I gave a lesson last time Shion based off of your skill gap thread. You left before I did that though lol.

HarryTheChin

Smash Ace
I think they are monthly like EXPosure. I gave a lesson last time Shion based off of your skill gap thread. You left before I did that though lol.
"Smash is a game about knowing your character's maximum punishments." - Oro?! 20XX

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei
Yeah, Octo told me bout that.

That thread actually turned out to be quite useful for improving my game.

Top Bottom