• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Notable Favorable MUs

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Favorable isn't really the word I'd choose. Besides Rosalina and Shiek, he can reliably fight most of the top tiers and he'll be even or better against lower tiers. Just don't play him against Sheik or Rosalina.

smashmoney

Smash Rookie
NNID
mtee3411
Favorable isn't really the word I'd choose. Besides Rosalina and Shiek, he can reliably fight most of the top tiers and he'll be even or better against lower tiers. Just don't play him against Sheik or Rosalina.
I also wouldn't use him against Villager. He can pocket Mechakoopa and gimp us easily with his aerials.

Dayzin

Smash Journeyman
I also wouldn't use him against Villager. He can pocket Mechakoopa and gimp us easily with his aerials.
Villager doesn't seem all that bad. Sure he can pick up your mecha koopa but instead of letting it walk around and giving it to villager for free you can fight with it in hand and bait him in to trying to pickpocket and punish him. Also we can trade with him with ftilts and fairs when he trys to set up his side b.

Armistice

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArmisticeMike
I think we go even in most MU's

I think the only one we might "win" by a slight margin is donkey kong or D3

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
D3, Ganon, Zard and arguably DK and Bowser (less so after the buffs) are the only MUs I think bjr wins. He's got a bunch of 50/50s imo, but loses pretty hard to every top tier. His most winnable high tier mus imo are mk and luigi (if you still consider luigi a high tier), but they're definitely still somewhat disadvantageous. He doesn't do terribly vs Sonic but I wouldn't pick bjr up for that mu specifically.

Last edited:

Nemesis561

Smash Apprentice
I main :4bowserjr: but picked up :4wario2: for the :4sonic: matchup since two of the people I play friendlies with the most main him.....:sick:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I'd argue that Bowser Jr is best against big characters with poor landing options or floaty characters with bad range. This being said, :4bowser::4charizard::4dedede::4dk::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4wario: are probably his best match ups.
I agree with the super heavies. Jr. can camp/bait and punish well.

Wario I don't see being in Jr.'s favor. Bite is a huge pain for Bowser Jr. because it out prioritizes Jr.'s cart dash approach. Kinda the same reason why it is such a pain for Sonic players as bite beats Sonic's spin dash. And Jr. has to approach because of waft charge so he can't really camp. And Wario gimps him really well with dair, bike and dash attack.

Played a really good Jr. main from my state in friendlies a couple weeks ago at a monthly (I main Wario). He told me it's a bad matchup for Jr. before we started playing. And while I wasn't really sure about the matchup going in, I saw what he was talking about as we started playing. Bowser Jr. struggles approaching Wario. I don't think it's THAT bad but it seems like atleast a 60-40 advantage for Wario.

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Don't just cast the super heavies aside. Sure, they're combo food, but they're combo food against everyone. That does not make the MU suddenly good.
I have a Bowser Jr. in my region, and despite the fact that he's a better player than me, I can beat him frequently with Bowser.
Both Bowser and DK have great grab games and have little trouble getting in on anyone who doesn't have amazing zoning. Sure, Junior has some tricks, but his zoning has slow startup and will do little to stop a charging Bowser or DK, one powershield on a projectile (something heavy mains have to be good at) and you're grabbed and taking 20-50%, or you're getting KO'd by 100%. Add in that both have superb shield pressure and great OoS games, and the matchup suddenly becomes much more bleak looking.
Probably beats Zard and D3 though.

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
Bowser and DK are questionable. With their buffs I lean to even. But I think Jr. absolutely manhandles D3 and he should probably beat Charizard too. Any character that struggles vs disjoint and/or landing is likely to struggle vs Jr. I think Jr. has a pretty good matchup on yoshi if you consider that a high tier, it's no worse than even imo. Besides the regular low tiers it's hard to say who Jr. cleanly beats, this game is pretty dang well balanced.

Last edited:

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
I'd definitely agree with Jr beating both Triple D & Zard, as I've once argued last year in these two big posts of mine:

Zard VS Jr
http://smashboards.com/threads/charizard-matchup-discussion-bowser-jr.414706/#post-19968875

Triple D VS Jr
http://smashboards.com/threads/read...discussing-marth.395045/page-13#post-20188688

Despite the both of them having being written from Zard's & Triple D's perspectives respectively, I've definitely given the nod to Jr for both MUs when withOUT Customs, since the both of them HAVE to approach Jr, which is a boon for us, as is the amount of damage we can pile onto them for every solid opening we land. They may have been written up months ago (hence why there's no mention of Umbra Clock Tower, which DOES offer Zard high-up platforms (at times) for boosting UThrow's KO power, walk-offs (at times) for boosting his Side 3 (and Jr's own Side 2 & FAir Train~)... and yet a higher ceiling for the both of us to stick around longer with when there's no platforms above or below us?? </Blue Text of Theory>), but only Zard's gotten any buffs since the day I posted that (and Jr, of course~), so between the two, Zard would be the better/more threatening of the two, yet still firmly in Jr's favor.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Bowser and DK are questionable. With their buffs I lean to even. But I think Jr. absolutely manhandles D3 and he should probably beat Charizard too. Any character that struggles vs disjoint and/or landing is likely to struggle vs Jr. I think Jr. has a pretty good matchup on yoshi if you consider that a high tier, it's no worse than even imo. Besides the regular low tiers it's hard to say who Jr. cleanly beats, this game is pretty dang well balanced.
Bruh, this game is far from balanced lmao. I appreciate you being ever-optimistic though.

And bjr 100% does not beat yoshi in any capacity. Vs aggressive yoshis you lose the second you get stuck offstage. They have options to cover evey recovery path (kart armour won't absorb uair at relevant %s either) and disjoints only matter in the mu when you're at an arm's length and read an approach. Yoshi absolutely destroys bjr close range and at a distance. Yoshi also doesn't have issues with the only thing bjr is good at, which is trapping landings. I think you just outplay the yoshis in your region and think that's how the mu actually works. Same with Olimar. I've seen you play vs angbad a bunch of times and you're outplaying him and abusing his nature to go aggro when he's frustrated, not actually winning the character mu specifically. I wouldn't be surprised if your great ability to force your opponent to make bad plays transferred over to the yoshis you play as well.

It's not the character though.

Last edited:

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
Bruh, this game is far from balanced lmao. I appreciate you being ever-optimistic though.

And bjr 100% does not beat yoshi in any capacity. Vs aggressive yoshis you lose the second you get stuck offstage. They have options to cover evey recovery path (kart armour won't absorb uair at relevant %s either) and disjoints only matter in the mu when you're at an arm's length and read an approach. Yoshi absolutely destroys bjr close range and at a distance. Yoshi also doesn't have issues with the only thing bjr is good at, which is trapping landings. I think you just outplay the yoshis in your region and think that's how the mu actually works. Same with Olimar. I've seen you play vs angbad a bunch of times and you're outplaying him and abusing his nature to go aggro when he's frustrated, not actually winning the character mu specifically. I wouldn't be surprised if your great ability to force your opponent to make bad plays transferred over to the yoshis you play as well.

It's not the character though.
You really think so? I just feel like yoshi struggles vs disjoint and jr. has that in spades, like you can wall out an approaching yoshi with fair alone and if they go high, up uair will beat anything they try if well-timed. We have good yoshi's here, I've played DJAY and leepuff and matches are always super close but it feels even to me. It's extremely momentum based and although we can wall out, if they get in they can go HAM. Then again we can go HAM as well. I guess I need more tournament yoshi experience, haven't played a ton except on wifi. Yoshi does avoid landing predictably due to his high air movement, but we have good ariels to bat them out of the air and robocop still helps a lot in covering landings. if they go to ledge thats where jr. shines anyway. Ya olimar definitely not good for jr. I'm experimenting with lucas vs jr. last time I played angbad I took him to last game last hit with lucas. I think Oli will continue to be a bane of Jr. for the life of smash 4 but it's not unwinnable. just takes a ridiculous amount of mental energy, focus, and solid gameplan/execution.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Zard and Bowser can Flamethrower/Fire Breath to auto gimp Jr's Up B. They're also effective at stopping the horizontal recovery option of Clown Kart to force Up B recovery in the first place. If you're sent low offstage, you're stock is as good as gone if you can't get under the stage's lip for a ledgesnap

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Bowser and DK are questionable. With their buffs I lean to even.
I would agree with this it's bassically a MU of who can punish who harder and faster and it really just comes down to how each player plays it tbh.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
You really think so? I just feel like yoshi struggles vs disjoint and jr. has that in spades, like you can wall out an approaching yoshi with fair alone and if they go high, up uair will beat anything they try if well-timed. We have good yoshi's here, I've played DJAY and leepuff and matches are always super close but it feels even to me. It's extremely momentum based and although we can wall out, if they get in they can go HAM. Then again we can go HAM as well. I guess I need more tournament yoshi experience, haven't played a ton except on wifi. Yoshi does avoid landing predictably due to his high air movement, but we have good ariels to bat them out of the air and robocop still helps a lot in covering landings. if they go to ledge thats where jr. shines anyway. Ya olimar definitely not good for jr. I'm experimenting with lucas vs jr. last time I played angbad I took him to last game last hit with lucas. I think Oli will continue to be a bane of Jr. for the life of smash 4 but it's not unwinnable. just takes a ridiculous amount of mental energy, focus, and solid gameplan/execution.
I don't think yoshi struggles vs disjoints in the same way that bowser jr struggles with... well basically any factor he struggles with. The fact is that yoshi doesn't have to commit. If he's allowing himself to be bullied at midrange that's mostly his own fault as he has the mobility and attack options to neutralize that situation. You're right that it's momentum based and whoever just started pressure usually has the upper hand for a while, but I disagree that you can just wall yoshi out. His frame data allows him to be patient or go in regardless of the % or state of the game. Fair and Bair will lose on startup to most of yoshi's approach options and you really have to be a reactive player just to keep up, whereas yoshi can do that not only to a marginally higher degree of success, but he can also win by going on the offense in neutral. Low commitment aggression is a big issue for bjr, especially the way I play him, which is mostly counterhits and setups.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I think I agree with Mr Moosebones Mr Moosebones on the Yoshi MU. I've only really faced Yoshi's online which as you know makes Yoshi 75% more difficult to fight cause he can really exploit online buffers. But disregarding that Yoshi's that know this MU is gunna give you a lot of pressure which will prevent us from setting up properly.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
I don't think it's impossible, forcing myself to play the mu has made me really good at it tbh, but it always feels like I'm constantly winning over the course of the game, it's just that no one told the scoreboard that.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I hate that I can't recall MU if i haven't played them within 24h. My roomate is a Yoshi main and the biggest issue i have is his super armor jump and him egging out me out when i try to space. He can toss an egg (and then grab the koopa) after I drop a grounded MK, so I lose the MK approach and kart dash. He used to dash for it so i could punish his crazy dash, but he grew out of it :(

Top Bottom