• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not using the right play style

comfortable_lamp

Smash Cadet
Although I main dark Samus, my play style is definitely a rush down player. Should I switch my main to someone Who fits my playstyle, try to learn samus’s Play style, or keep playing samus as a rush down.

Nutty Sponge

Smash Apprentice
I think you should switch. If you want to play someone really aggressive I don't think Samus is the right choice? It's up to you though, I know I'd never switch from Shulk because of my character loyalty so I don't know if you have that same connection with Samus

Xanderr

Smash Rookie
Samus is definitely a chess players character which reads the opponents moves and then reacts. I'd say switch. Half the time i'm not moving until my opponent does as to counter them.

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
You definitely would enjoy a character who can do that playstyle more efficiently. If you can find the one, go for it

BronzeXavier

Smash Rookie
Rushing down with Samus is one of the worst things you can do with her from my experience.
I tried to do this multiple times. Got bodied repeatedly. It was in the middle of another match where I remembered that I had projectiles. Got some wins after that.

A pretty sweet move would be the falling up-air, but you have count on your foe not up-tilting/smashing. Other than that, many of her attacks have start up lag and ending lag. Not even her jab combo is safe. Samus is definitely a character that requires some sort of zoning. Want a rush down character? This one is not it.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Unless you really love Dark Samus, I say save yourself from misery and switch. I initially played a bunch of fighters that I liked from their own games or based on looks alone, and it was just not working out because I am ape who keeps rushing down all the time, so I switched to fighters that can work with such demented playstyle.

Batzanova McMackin

Smash Rookie
Samus and Dark Samus you have to play a hit and run style. My brother is a Samus main, and he describes this is the "rubber band". You have to utilize both physical and ranged attacks to create mixups. I would argue Samus has some of the best mixups in the game, and also one of the strongest advantage states. She rewards skill on a very high scale, where the more skilled you are, the more overwhelming your Samus becomes. You just have to learn when to use physical attacks, and when to use ranged ones. D tilt, u tilt, her aerials, and her dash attack are all really solid. She also has zair to stuff a lot of air approach. Bombs give her great movement options, and her other projectiles have their uses as well. Unchanged shot sets up either a dash attack, or a grab. Screw attack out of shield can be painful to deal with. Samus isn't really able to reliably kill South of 160%, but she has the ability to rack damage so quickly it almost becomes a moot point.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Although I main dark Samus, my play style is definitely a rush down player. Should I switch my main to someone Who fits my playstyle, try to learn samus’s Play style, or keep playing samus as a rush down.
(I am a stowaway from Brawl, so if you feel this advice is irrelevant or outdated, I understand.)

Remember the following about Samus:

1. She has virtually no safety on her approaches when the opponent braces themselves, unless she is moving under the cover of a projectile or has the opponent on the run. If her opponent is bent on holding their position or counter offending, they will be successful in most ideal cases. However, if she can get some momentum working in her favor, her potent projectile game works to maintain the advantage state, provided the enemy does not recover their defensive preparedness before she can deliver her next attack.

2. In the event that she is airborn above her opponent, her floaty aerial movement and delay in hitting opponents below her with aerial attacks both contribute to the danger in landing, so her optimal positioning is in line with or below her target.

3. If she waits too long and the opponent gets too close, she has almost no hope of repelling a methodically aggressive opponent. Sure, she has melee attacks, but her jab is unsafe on shield, and the first hit often knocks opponents away from the second hit; Ftilt has little knockback; Dtilt comes out quickly and is powerful for its type, but you sacrafice movement setting it up; and her smash attacks are short-ranged or easily release the opponent from their hitboxes (down smash excluded).

To answer your question, yes, Samus can rush, but she must do it Samus' way. She must keep the opponent losing ground with a fitting combination of projectiles and melee attacks. The moment she sees them giving a morsel of resistance, or pressure, she must abort the mission and focus on escape before the opponent converges on her position too rapidly for escape! Appropriately, this is somewhat like the gameplay of at least Super Metroid, which I have had the privilege of playing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom