• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not most likely or most appealing potential newcomers. What are the most deserving ?

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
This is just a fun little exercise. This is not based on what Sakurai says but also not what you want. Who are the most deserving doable potential newcomers based on relevance, amount of appearances, series sales, iconicness, critical acclaim, memorability, etc. A little philosophy I think is that flavor of the week characters like Decidueye and even Corrin are less of a priority because they will be forgotten by fans of the series and technically only appear in one game. EDIT: I reccomend not going entirely with what Sakurai says, but still staying logical.

1. Inkling
2. Captain Toad - Will eventually appear in Mario Kart and get a sequel to Treasure Tracker, making him the next Rosalina. As in, a new Mario All Star that appears in all the games from now on.
3. Impa
4. Bandana Dee
5. Ridley
6. Tom Nook from Animal Crossing - Animal Crossing rivals Metroid in sales. Tom Nook appears in all the series, the Marth to Isabelle's Lucina. Whereas Isabelle has NO moveset potential, Tom Nook does. He would fight with a certain move where he takes money from his putting the opponent in debt. The debt causes them slow damage. After putting people in debt, he puts a bag of money behind him. To get out of debt, you have to destroy the bag of money, but Tom Nook can defend it. He can also place down furniture that the opponent cannot move through.
7. King K Rool
8. Dixie Kong
9. Fire Emblem Switch's hero
10. Ashley from WarioWare
11. Ice Cllmbers - He's part of a new grouping called Veterans. These are characters that wouldn't be famous without Smash Bros.
12. Wolf
13. Rex and Pyra
14. Isaac from Golden Sun - His series could be revived through Smash similar to Kid Icarus. For people who don't know, Golden Sun is a fantasy rpg series whose sales rival Punch Out.
15. Rayman
16. Crash Bandicoot

Feel free to critique my choices.

EDIT: New stuff

Honorable Mentions - Going over the characters I did not add. Wow, pat myself on the back. This is a genius idea, because now people can argue about characters that otherwise would be added to their roster.

Takamaru- Not as important historically as Game and Watch or ROB, and also not as deserving as Little Mac or Duck Hunt. Ice Climbers sold better than this game.

Excitebiker - He’s not requested for a reason: he isn’t a character, just an MS Paint biker with no name. This matters because he wouldn’t feel distinct to any intelligent person that doesn’t overthink it, making him a bad choice. I’m designing for the most normal, true, and unavoidable responses from the audience, so I have to respect that

Bomberman - He’s well known, but a strong amount of people don’t play his games. That’s bad. Look at the sales: Star Fox outsells Bomberman. There are simply a handful of characters who are a higher priority for me.

Geno - Not as big as you'd think in terms of requests even in the past (he's like the 25th most wanted character), and that really bogs his importance down given it's all he has going for him.

Andy from Advance Wars - Too schismistic for a relatively small series. Has no protagonist, and the older games have no characters at all. Sure, Andy is the series’ Marth, but he wouldn’t rep the older games that when added with the Advance era make the games notable.

Toad - More of a species than a character. Would be like making Koopa Troopa playable.

Baby Mario - You’d have to punch him to win the game. Yes, punch an actual small baby in diapers beyond the point of crying.

Tingle - Had his own series, yes, but they are Japan only and nobody played them.

King Boo and Kamek - Adding any of them in would be like adding a Goomba. They are one step from being generic enemies.

Rhythm Heaven character - I really wanted to believe in this one, but they are all generic indistinct nothings of characters. They are the artwork of a pretentious webcomic where the author makes a joke of not putting any work into the story, doing a panel a week or something like that. This is proven by the fact that nobody asked for them before the Gematsu leak.

F Zero character - The stars of the game are the cars and the characters riding the cars are an afterthought. F Zero hasn’t gotten games anymore anyways.

Kid Icarus - People forget that we won’t be getting another Kid Icarus until 25 YEARS. Sakurai DIRECTLY stated this. Plus, it’s still ONE game making the series notable.

Eevee - He’s a starter in the upcoming Pokemon Switch, and a fan favorite from the biggest and first gen that always gets new forms, keeping him relevant. My idea for how he would work is that he can transform into either Flareon, Jolteon, or Vaporeon, but it would up the dev time for four characters.

WarioWare series - The star of the show is the microgames, not the characters.

Isabelle from Animal Crossing - No moveset potential whatsoever.

Meowth - Nobody watches or likes the anime anymore, and that’s all this guy has going for him.

Decidueye - Flavor of the week Pokemon everyone will forget about.

Rest are self explanatory. Look at my roster, compare them to your characters, then try to argue.

Last edited:

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
I'll just run through your list and then add my own.
1. Inkling
2. Ridley

3. Tom Nook replace with Isabelle. She has plenty of moveset potential. She can use the tools Villager doesn't, use public works projects, use bugs and fish, emote attacks, etc. Tom Nook is deserving, but not as much as Isabelle imo

4. Bandana Dee
5. Karate Joe from Rhythm Heaven (don't necessarily agree with the placement, but a Rhythm Heaven character is definitely deserved)
6. Slippy √
7, 8. Rayman and Crash
(they are definitely some of the better third-party offerings to choose from but "deserving" is a stretch)
9. Captain Toad √ (should be higher up)
10. King K. Rool

11. Impa √ (A Zelda newcomer is general is deserving. Players that aren't too familiar with the series will probably get the impression that Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf are the only important characters when the companion and side characters are also very popular and loved by fans)

12. Dixie Kong
13. Ice Climbers √ (and Wolf)
14. Rex and Pyra (hm...maybe not them specifically)
15. Spring Man

You pretty much covered all of the bases but I'd add one of these (Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, Excitebiker) and Lyn.

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
I'll just run through your list and then add my own.
1. Inkling
2. Ridley

3. Tom Nook replace with Isabelle. She has plenty of moveset potential. She can use the tools Villager doesn't, use public works projects, use bugs and fish, emote attacks, etc. Tom Nook is deserving, but not as much as Isabelle imo

4. Bandana Dee
5. Karate Joe from Rhythm Heaven (don't necessarily agree with the placement, but a Rhythm Heaven character is definitely deserved)
6. Slippy √
7, 8. Rayman and Crash
(they are definitely some of the better third-party offerings to choose from but "deserving" is a stretch)
9. Captain Toad √ (should be higher up)
10. King K. Rool

11. Impa √ (A Zelda newcomer is general is deserving. Players that aren't too familiar with the series will probably get the impression that Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf are the only important characters when the companion and side characters are also very popular and loved by fans)

12. Dixie Kong
13. Ice Climbers √ (and Wolf)
14. Rex and Pyra (hm...maybe not them specifically)
15. Spring Man

You pretty much covered all of the bases but I'd add one of these (Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, Excitebiker) and Lyn.
Tom Nook appears in all the games, and was the series mascot before Isabelle. Adding Isabelle first would be like adding Lucina before Marth. Lucina is the upcoming mascot that has replaced Marth, but Marth is still more important.

I chose Crash and Rayman because they come from series that have a true protagonist, being Rayman and Crash, and because they totally fit in Smash visually while having a decent amount of history with Nintendo.

I don't have Takamaru because his game sells surprisingly low, even worse than ICE CLIMBERS. Excitebiker isn't reallly his own character as he has no personality or uniqueness, he's just a generic biker. Balloon Fighter could fit, but he's still a lower priority than ALL these 15.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
why is toad so low, he should be higher than inkling to be honest. dixie should be higher too.

I also do agree that Isabelle should replace Tom Nook, she shows off what Animal Crossing more than Nook could. The mayoral system, the public work projects, I think she has a bigger role in Pocket Camp?, and she's incredibly more popular.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I think the 5 most deserving characters at this point are:

1.) Inkling

2.) Captain Toad

3.) Ridley

4.) King K. Rool

5.) Zelda Newcomer

At least, this is what I think

Oddball

Smash Lord
Most Deserving.

1) Simon Belmont
2) Toad
3) Ganon
4) Impa
5) Urban Champion
6) Captain N
7) Whoever else I like

Least Deserving
1) Whoever you like...
2) ...Yeah. Especially them

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
1.) Inkling. Nintendo's biggest successful new IP in years.

2.) Captain Toad. Easily the most recognisable face of Nintendo still not included and starred in his own successful spinoff.

3.) Isabelle. Nintendo's Darling.

4.) Ridley. Number one most wanted first party Smash character of all time,

5.) Dixie Kong. 2/3 original DKC games deutagonist and made a successful return in recent years.

6.) Tingle/Impa(can't decide as they both have merit)

7.) Bandana Waddle Dee. Fourth player who is rising to stardom

8.) Meowth. Should have been in Smash 64. Only Pokémon outside Pikachu to always be anime relevant.

9.) Waluigi/Daisy(honestly both are super recognisable and have appeared in many best sellers. They are equals though as much as I like Waluigi he has little to edge Daisy out in terms of games, recognisability, etc)

10.) Paper Mario. He's only this low because Mario is already on the roster twice.

11.) Tom Nook. Dropped a bit thanks to Isabelle but still very well known.

12.) K. Rool. A fan favourite.

13.) Chibi-Robo. Obtained an amiibo and is a new IP. Managed to get many games under his belt.

14.) Lyn/Chrom. Popularity remains super strong for these FE lords despite a backlash against Fire Emblem.

15.) Isaac. Popular, but niche and his game series is currently ignored by Nintendo, on hiatus or dead.

16.) Slippy. Had his own spinoff, but the main franchise it was attached to fell apart during the Wii U period.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Lyn - Referred to by Intelligent Systems as "the Marth of the West", Lyn's stance as a Nintendo All Star is clear. One of the most popular and iconic characters of one of Nintendo's currently biggest franchises. Her evergreen status and beloved place among the series' characters cannot be denied.

Isaac - Golden Sun is a great series, with a significant fanbase, and a battle system that offers more potential than any other Nintendo series that I can think of. A series that has shaped many lives, and done something truly unique among RPGs.

Ridley - The most iconic villain of the Metroid franchise, even more so than the titular Metroids themselves. Ridley constant presence, dogged tenacity, and sheer ferocity as a foil to Samus has earned his spot.

King K. Rool - The sworn enemy of the Kongs, noted as such by Smash Bros. itself. This despot has taken more than his fair share over the years, and has definitely made enough of a name for himself to belong on the roster, especially when combined with a vast and varied move pool.

Impa - The most dedicated and omnipresent servant and protector one could want, Impa has never wavered from her role as Zelda's counsel. Whether at the apex of her talent, serving as ninja, bodyguard, and samurai, or at the height of her years, when she wields wisdom on a level unmatched by any, Impa has been one of the most prominent figures in one of Nintendo's biggest franchises.

Waluigi - Crafted by Camelot to serve as a doubles partner for Wario, Waluigi has brought a unique personality and style to the Mario franchise's spin off games. Whether racing in Mario Kart or playing in Mario Tennis, his personal animations ooze with an unmistakable presence that has drawn a sizable fan base to him.

Andy - Hailing from another series that Nintendo has cast adrift from the days of the GBA, Andy's role as CO in the Advance Wars games has earned him a place among noted characters. A commander with a puppeteer like playstyle as he commands his army to battle, he's a very recognizable face to any Nintendo fan who was around in the heyday of the GBA.

Captain Toad - Toad has been a constant presence throughout the Mario games. But the character has usually been bland and generic, with only a handful of stand out characters among a hoard of faceless automatons that made the Nintendo fanbase cringe when they saw them altogether in Color Splash. But Captain Toad arrived and gave some much needed unique design and personality to this constant character, and in so doing, has earned himself a position among the most recognizable and notable first party characters.

Krystal - A character with a strong fanbase from a series that is on rocky footing. Krystal has been ignored by Nintendo as Miyamoto struggles to continue to replicate StarFox 64 in ever new and interesting ways. But despite being from a rather unpopular spin-off, Krystal was embraced by the fans and offers a unique style of combat from the other representatives of her series.

Vaati - The Wind Mage is the only recurring Zelda villain outside of Ganon/Ganondorf, and one of the few recurring characters besides Impa to serve a major story role. With a fantastic backstory and variety of powers laid out in The Minish Cap, this minute mage has certainly shown enough strength to make it into the battle.

Last edited:

LunchmanJ

Smash Journeyman
Most Deserving.

1) Simon Belmont
2) Toad
3) Ganon
4) Impa
5) Urban Champion
6) Captain N
7) Whoever else I like

Least Deserving
1) Whoever you like...
2) ...Yeah. Especially them
SInce my dream Smash Bros is meant to be an overhaul, I actually have pig Ganon replacing Ganondorf.
1.) Inkling. Nintendo's biggest successful new IP in years.

2.) Captain Toad. Easily the most recognisable face of Nintendo still not included and starred in his own successful spinoff.

3.) Isabelle. Nintendo's Darling.

4.) Ridley. Number one most wanted first party Smash character of all time,

5.) Dixie Kong. 2/3 original DKC games deutagonist and made a successful return in recent years.

6.) Tingle/Impa(can't decide as they both have merit)

7.) Bandana Waddle Dee. Fourth player who is rising to stardom

8.) Meowth. Should have been in Smash 64. Only Pokémon outside Pikachu to always be anime relevant.

9.) Waluigi/Daisy(honestly both are super recognisable and have appeared in many best sellers. They are equals though as much as I like Waluigi he has little to edge Daisy out in terms of games, recognisability, etc)

10.) Paper Mario. He's only this low because Mario is already on the roster twice.

11.) Tom Nook. Dropped a bit thanks to Isabelle but still very well known.

12.) K. Rool. A fan favourite.

13.) Chibi-Robo. Obtained an amiibo and is a new IP. Managed to get many games under his belt.

14.) Lyn/Chrom. Popularity remains super strong for these FE lords despite a backlash against Fire Emblem.

15.) Isaac. Popular, but niche and his game series is currently ignored by Nintendo, on hiatus or dead.

16.) Slippy. Had his own spinoff, but the main franchise it was attached to fell apart during the Wii U period.
Impa is WAY more important than Tingle. Tingle has his own series yes, but they are Japan only and nobody plays them. Meowth is a lower priority for me because he can't fight in the anime, and is not memorable. Chibi Robo is a dead series that sells poorly, so there are bigger series like Rhythm Heaven or more relevant series like ARMS.

Top Bottom