• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not Mario

Guide Not Mario

ASAP_Smash

Smash Cadet
ASAP_Smash submitted a new guide:

Not Mario - A Dr. Mario Guide

First and foremost I want to state that the comparison between Dr. Mario (Doc), and Mario is highly limited. Therefor it should not (and for this guide will not) be acknowledged for the sake of exploring Doc’s core game play. With that, let’s start slingin’ pills.

Chapter 1: Conditioning Neutral

From the start throwing pills will be safe, but only two are recommended before switching to another option. They become exponentially risky as his enemy approaches due to the high...
Read more about this guide...

ASAP_Smash

Smash Cadet
ASAP_Smash updated Not Mario with a new update entry:

Not Mario v.3

I did some more research with Doc's edge-guards to find out how to teach proper set-ups instead of blindly stating potential options. Some visual references were added to help.

I also added a new chapter for baits. It's an abstract concept, but I felt like the more concrete details should be addressed to help new players with neutral.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:

ASAP_Smash

Smash Cadet

Not Mario v.4

After learning about RCO airspeed, I labbed Doc's safest ledge option:
  • ledge-drop > dj up-air (back to stage)
I also shed some light on an under-used tech that helps Doc exponentially against zoning characters, sword characters, and also allows him to escape pressure in general:
  • short-hop > air-dodge

ASAP_Smash

Smash Cadet

Not Mario v.5

It's time to get technical!

After some long hours of labbing, I recorded Docs best ways to force missed techs, foot-stool set-ups, and locking tools with their respective percent limits.

This may be the final update of the guide (disregarding a few edits here and there). I think I've covered everything that's on par with the current smash4 meta.

ASAP_Smash

Smash Cadet

Not Mario v.5.2

After reviewing some footage, I noticed how much mileage Doc was getting from buffering inputs between during aerials. I didn't dwell on the full extent of those utilities in neutral.

Interestingly enough I actually learned that Doc could buffer a neutral air out of a short hop up-air. Some Doc mains may have already known this, but even so I rarely saw it used in sets. It's a small tech, but it added more damage to the "up-air > down-smash combo" which I think is neat because it's my...

Top Bottom