• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not in the Face!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Not in the Face!

It's how I make my money!

Austin rises once again to bring you "Not in the Face!", a tournament that may very well be the beginning of something new for the Austin scene.
ENOUGH SAID, LET'S GET IT ON!!

Venue

U.T. Austin Campus, Peter T. Flawn Academic Center - FAC Room 21
  • Map of the Area
  • The room is downstairs of the main floor. It is where House of Mouse 2 was held.
  • PLEASE BRING SET-UPS! We are in dire need of them and need to be out by a VERY specific time.

Date/time
  • February 25th, 2012
  • Doors open at 11:00 A.M. and registration will end/Doubles will start at noon.
  • We have to be out by 11:00 P.M., so DO NOT BE LATE. You may not be able to enter if you're late.

Fees/Events
  • $1 Venue fee
  • $10 Singles
  • $10 Doubles ($5 per player)
  • $5 Waseda Doubles (if time)

Payouts for all events
  • 1st: 48%
  • 2nd: 22%
  • 3rd: 14%
  • 4th: 8%
  • 5th: 4%
  • 5th: 4%

Ruleset
We will be using the Unity ruleset with a slightly modified stagelist:

Starters
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Pokemon Stadium 1
  • Smashville
  • Yoshi's Island

Counterpicks
  • Battleship Halberd
  • Castle Siege
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Pokémon Stadium 2
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Brinstar

Directions
  • Venue location/Setup Unloading
    1. When you get off the interstate, head down MLK and take a right on Guadalupe.
    2. Take a right on Speedway.
    3. Take your next right, Inner Campus Drive.
    4. Take a right at the stopsign.
    5. Go straight and temp park in the walkway next to the auditorium. This is where we'll unload setups.
    6. From your car, walk straight ahead, take an immediate left, and take another immediate left. You should see glass doors.
    My memory's a little hazy on the last one, but I'll post a more specific update soon.
  • Parking
    Most meters are no longer free until after 6:00 P.M.
    • There is free parking in the NOA building north of Dean Keaton:
      [collapse=Map]
      [/collapse]
      It is between the SEA and NOA buildings.
    • There is also metered parking that is free on weekends along 17th/18th street (running parallel to MLK). It's behind the Museum/IMAX theater
    • DO NOT park in convenience store/gas station parking lots or anywhere with a "Permit Required" sign.

Important notes
  • To clarify, METAKNIGHT WILL BE BANNED.
  • We will be sharing the room with the Austin Melee crew and they will be having a tournament at the same time.

Contact information/Housing
  • PantyRaider - (361) 894-2170
  • TheAlpacaMan - (979) 541-9836
  • I don't have a phone (because I'm a loose-cannon cop who plays by his own rules), but I check Smashboards several times a day. Feel free to shoot me a PM/VM/whatever.
  • Austinites, please let me know if you can house for this. I am unable to do so.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Additional directional stuff

Zip Code: 78712

Street: Inner Campus Drive

A map of the area:

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
It is, yes. It's a rather large auditorium area.

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
woo time for random unfunny memes parroted all day and random screaming over bad matches just because they have a low tier in them

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Oi, let's not turn this into a dumb "Brawl players v. Melee players" thing.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Was already talking to Dojo, DMG, and Nike about this. Get SA support which is very possible and DFW (most likely Fort Worth will go) and we're interested. Raise singles to $10 entry and I'll definitely try to go with a carpool.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
This is without a doubt the most flaming name for a tournament I've ever seen.

You would, Shaun. You WOULD.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
is the melee tournament also 5$?
Terribly sorry, I thought I put a link to the Melee tournament information in the OP. I'll redo it later. For now, here's the melee info.

Raise singles to $10 entry

I'll think about it. Most likely a "no".

This is without a doubt the most flaming name for a tournament I've ever seen.

You would, Shaun. You WOULD.
HEY. That title is a very common catchphrase for people about to get mangled.
You want to make it weird, you make it weird on your own time.

I'm not sure about Housing the ATX tourneys. I live 45 minutes away, so it's a little impractical. I guess I can if necessary.
Thank you and I'm sorry. I wish we had more people that could actually house people in Austin. :<

TheAlpacaMan

Smash Cadet
A $5 entry fee doesn't really make much sense for singles, though. The pay out isn't worth it for people who have to travel more than 2 hours. $10 total for doubles is fine though.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Exactly ^. With SA and DFW interest, I see like in the 30's MAX. It needs some worth for me to go. I'm very interested but singles needs to be 10. I'm not even asking for doubles 10 each.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Denti travels for charity tournaments. He'll go anywhere. On top of all this, the venue fee is only $1...definitely doable and should be $10 singles.

TheAlpacaMan

Smash Cadet
Yea, the $1 entry fee easily makes up for the extra $5 needed for singles imo. But honestly, I'm not contributing anything to the entire pool so I don't really have any say in this. Except for probably running the tourney? Sean, who is T.O.ing?

Dojo

Smash Champion
Just saw this thread. Posted in Austin saying it should be $10 entry.

Small locals are fine for $5 but to attract OOC $10 is pretty standard overall.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
It will be a group effort. No one man makes a tournament work, but every man has a role in making it work.
While you'll be doing a good amount toward handling the money and putting stuff in, it's not like the rest of us will be just sitting back and enjoying the tournament.

EDIT: Ah, **** it. If two OoC locations are objecting to the idea, let's just change it to 10.
I'll edit the OP in a bit because I'm too damned tired right now and it's not letting me access the "Edit Event" page.

KoNfucius

Smash Ace
raised to 10 $ ? Skypirate you are soft.

Peer pressure > skypirate.

ill just send razer/gnes a 10 money order in the mail and save me the trip.

:phone:

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Skypirate you are soft.
THAT'S. WHAT. SHE. SAID.

BAM.

Yeah, I'm sorry that I changed it and I know how San Antonio is. If it had just been Dojo/Razer complaining about it, I would have told them to just not come.

EDIT: BTW. I rarely go to anything nowadays, KoN.

KoNfucius

Smash Ace
people that attend $10 tourneys usually know that top3-5 is locked, and they go to tourneys for reasons other than money.

Who's soft?

I know ppl go just for the experiance and to practice.

To be honest its not all of sa just myself and bigboss. we both rarely enter tournaments any more and even more rarely 10 $ tournys. Reason being bigboss is retired at least semi. And myself Im still learning new characters because of the ban.

edit: it cost like 20 $ in gas to get to austin plus 11$ for singles 5 for doubles thats 36$. I can stay home and buy a bottle crown for that price :troll:

Denti

Smash Master
I just noticed the discussion for singles being 10$. Really if you want this being anything more than a local make it 10$. If we're to make the Texas scene travel more this needs to be 10$.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Yes, but there are people that want to play, but can't afford to travel.

As someone that currently can't travel to Dallas or Houston, I know what they mean when they make a huge deal about it. It isn't as simple as "beat Razer and you'll get your money back". You have to get better to do that, you can't get better unless you play, and you can't play a diverse group of players if you can't afford to spend that extra little bit. This might be actually be stunting certain players more than helping.

Dojo

Smash Champion
As a state we currently have one on-going series of tournaments with Hobo.

Besides that we'll have a tourney once in a blue moon. Maybe once a month if we're lucky. If people can't afford to save an extra $5 a month they shouldn't be traveling in the first place and find a different hobby then competitive smash where you HAVE to travel to get good.

I understand being in a financial bind. I'm currently in one myself. I also have nothing close to a guarantee of money as there are at least 3 people better than me in this state AND I've lost my main without a true secondary. But I'm still making the effort to travel to a smaller tourney in Fort Worth the weekend before this and STILL attend this one while asking for the $5 raise.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
sometimes its more important to get your scene active again than getting OOS/OOC to go. id start with 5$ to get the hype back and then later raise it to 10.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I do agree with that sentiment, Xyro, but I'm not changing it back by this point.
This one will be $10 for singles, the next one will be $5, and I will thousand-hand-slap anyone that tries to tell me otherwise!!

You so crazy, Dojo. If I lost Olimar, I wouldn't even consider going out of Austin for at least a half-year. My Kirby's nowhere near my Olimar. ^^;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom