• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not Fully charging Samus' charge shot

Aquamentii

Smash Apprentice
Several maybe's here:
1) (most speculative) he wants to keep his opponents guessing as to whether he has one charged or not. If Samus' arm is blinking, we know she has one ready and the opponent will be aware and prepared
2) in general you don't want to limit your own use of the move to when you have a full charge. It's a great projectile at all levels, and a good opponent won't exactly just wait around while you charge
3) uncharged charge shot travels slower than fully charged, so it's better for pressuring your opponent when you approach.

Ode

Smash Rookie
Knockback is a factor too. A full charge always sends your opponent flying, and will move you in the opposite direction. It's a good tool and is very threatening, but it can be predictable and has a huge impact on your follow-up if you're always using it at full charge.

I personally agree with 1) and 2). I don't like holding on to a full charge all of the time because it limits the options available for that move. I didn't know about 3)! That's pretty damn cool.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Having full CS also limits your mobility. YB makes a lot of use out of B-reversing Charge cancels, as well as using it as a tool to fake out opponents. You should always take what damage you can get in. CS doesn't mind as much as other kill options when it gets staled, and is vital to neutral so you'll be using it a lot anyway.

D

Deleted member

As a Samus main, I tend to do that too while saving an uncharged shot for moments where the opponent can’t run from it.

Some reasons to not fully charge shot I think are:

1. Uncharged CS, just shy of full charge comes out faster. Full CS has a slight delay recoil effect before the shot comes out and Samus can be gimped in this animation and lose the entire charge for nothing.

2. Baby CS can be used similar to :ultyounglink: arrows spam. A true way to zone in some match ups and it is much safer and quicker than spamming on missiles.

3. Smaller CS's can tick and combo.

4. Wavebouncing, B-Reverse movement and CS>Zair will not work when fully charged.

5. When in charging animation, Samus is vulnerable so it seems better to keep on the move and charge at safer moments while still being unpredictable.

Yes, YB doesn't always charge his CS, but I feel it's mainly because of point 5 and point 4 since at higher levels of play, you just don't have the luxury to build up to full charge. Most of the time, I think if YB had the choice and you can see most times when he secures a stock, he will aim to fully charge since he has the time to safely do it and will just blow it as soon as he can before reverting back to charging in fast-paced game play again.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
You want stun from Charge Shot at non-kill percents, and that's what uncharged and partially charged options provide. B-reversing and wavebouncing are the other reasons.

brother ashes

Smash Rookie
Having full CS also limits your mobility. YB makes a lot of use out of B-reversing Charge cancels, as well as using it as a tool to fake out opponents. You should always take what damage you can get in. CS doesn't mind as much as other kill options when it gets staled, and is vital to neutral so you'll be using it a lot anyway.
this.

it's also just a solid mindgame tool.

Nova Omega

Smash Rookie
I like to hold mine around three quarters charged most of the time. Mainly to play mind games with my opponent and to keep them guessing or even to stop thinking about it while their damage builds. People tend to disrespect the kill power of a lower charged shot and it can also score blink kills on lighter characters. If we are both pushing high damage and the game is close, I will keep it fully charged for the intimidation factor, and force them to play around it making other kill set ups easier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom