• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not doing anything about Ryu.

Should Ryu be banned?

• Yes, his specials make him OP

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Yes, he's not a real character anyways

Votes: 25 80.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
Ryu needs to be banned. Why? I'll tell you right now.

First, Ryu has three versions of his neutral, up, and side specials. One for tapping B, one for holding B, and one for doing the original SFII inputs. This is unfair and unbalanced. No other character (that we haven't effectively banned) has the ability to modify their special moves in a customs off environment. In fact, no other character can change their custom moves in battle! Obviously, this gives Ryu an advantage that no other character can have, unbalancing him.

Why should we ban him instead of imposing restrictions? Any Ryu in any match can use any of its inputs at any time, and the game provides no way of regulating this. It would require too much effort to regulate mains of this character. In addition, this brings me to my second point:

Ryu is not a real character. Exhibit A: Ryu is added by DLC. So, he isn't really in the game. Exhibit B: Ryu is a third party character originating outside of Nintendo games. Thus, we should disregard him and anyone who considers him/herself a "Ryu main" (just listen to that, doesn't "Ryu main" just sound ridiculous?) and continue with banning the character for being unfair and unbalanced in a competitive, customs off environment.

Finally, I propose we also ban Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man for not being real characters and Link, Toon Link, Pit, Dark Pit, Samus, Kirby, and Shulk for being able to change the attributes of one or more of their special moves even with customs off, making them hideously overpowered.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
I don't know how this ended up here. Mods, please move this to the competitive discussion boards. Thank you for your time.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
First I was confused and a bit irritated.

Then I laughed hysterically.

For those who don't get it, this is a satirical reaction to the customs on / off debate and discussions on whether Miis should be used in tournaments.

I commend you for the well-crafted japery and it's a good response to the silliness that's prevalent in customs discussions, but I don't think it really benefits us. Sorry!

Last edited:

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
What? This has nothing to do with Miis. They're unimportant; no one even plays Miis anyways. Please take me seriously.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't see any reason why they should ban Ryu, who is perhaps the most unique character in the game, or any other character in particular. People can pick whoever they want to play as without any excuses.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I don't see any reason why they should ban Ryu, who is perhaps the most unique character in the game, or any other character in particular. People can pick whoever they want to play as without any excuses.
Please read the thread.

This is satire.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
Finally, I propose we also ban Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man for not being real characters and Link, Toon Link, Pit, Dark Pit, Samus, Kirby, and Shulk for being able to change the attributes of one or more of their special moves even with customs off, making them hideously overpowered.
What about Olimar? He has five different variations of ALL his smashes, ALL his aerials, ALL his throws, ALL his grabs, and his side B? Not to mention he can even select a new variation of himself before the game begins just by pressing Y. This amount of variety and change is detrimental to Smash 4's metagame.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
At first had me like:
image.jpg

but in the end of it i was all:
image.jpg

gg

Last edited:

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
What about Olimar? He has five different variations of ALL his smashes, ALL his aerials, ALL his throws, ALL his grabs, and his side B? Not to mention he can even select a new variation of himself before the game begins just by pressing Y. This amount of variety and change is detrimental to Smash 4's metagame.
YOU'RE RIGHT! This game is so unbalanced! Dammit Sakurai!

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Well, I'm convinced. Ryu and Olimar (and ESPECIALLY that broken jank-jank-jank Alph) need to go.

I voted Yes.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I'd rather ban Ryu than actually try to learn the matchup
I mean we don't have to buy Ryu right?
that would be pay to win.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
I'd rather ban Ryu than actually try to learn the matchup
I mean we don't have to buy Ryu right?
that would be pay to win.
You're right! Ryu should be free to all, to maintain competitive purity.

It's not like Sakurai and his team need to eat. And I'm sure Nintendo doesn't mind tossing out $25,000-ish on the license to Ryu just out of the goodness of their hearts.

Until they make Ryu free, let's ban him!

And Lucas has to go too. He's from a dead franchise, so he's not a real Nintendo character. He took Daisy's and/or Wolf's slots!!!!111one

(...That said, thank you for being good sports about some of us showing up here to help one another overdose on sarcasm, Ryu mains. No harm intended, we love your character!)

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
In all seriousness, if you're not against Mii freedom, please speak up in our favor to see how things actually go. The fearmongers have nothing but evidence against them. The pros (other than M2K) tell us we're worthless. Then there's the bystanders. Ask yourself: is it really okay to persecute a portion of your community for playing characters that are fundamentally different?

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
In all seriousness, if you're not against Mii freedom, please speak up in our favor to see how things actually go. The fearmongers have nothing but evidence against them. The pros (other than M2K) tell us we're worthless. Then there's the bystanders. Ask yourself: is it really okay to persecute a portion of your community for playing characters that are fundamentally different?
Miis are just controversial because they *are* customs. Nobody likes Customs after Evo - nobody knows how to deal with Miis. Do we make them all 1111? Default? What do we do?

People shouldn't just go "BAN THEM" because we can't figure out a clear solution. Try stuff at tournaments. Maybe try running a few 1111 Default Miis, or community voted Miis, or something.

I'm really inbetween but I don't want to see Miis banned.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Finally, I propose we also ban Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man for not being real characters ...
I agree. Plus Roy's neutral special can OHKO someone when fully charged and his Fsmash is too powerful! He is like the most OP character I've ever seen! What is with the balance of this game smh. Ban Roy for not being a real character AND game-breaking.

Please make sure all TOs in the world know about these characters that should be banned (listed in the OP) -- doing so is crucial for a healthy metagame... Unless we get a balance patch down the road, then all these characters should be gutted in that case. Rito pls.

Browny

Smash Hater
First, Ryu has three versions of his neutral, up, and side specials. One for tapping B, one for holding B, and one for doing the original SFII inputs. This is unfair and unbalanced. No other character (that we haven't effectively banned) has the ability to modify their special moves in a customs off environment. In fact, no other character can change their custom moves in battle! Obviously, this gives Ryu an advantage that no other character can have, unbalancing him.
I was talking about this with someone yesterday and we realised just how Ryu compared to the most unfair character in smash history.

He is on the same level as another broken excuse of a character had 3 versions of most specials, they have 3 versions of ALL NORMALS. If it didnt get worse, you literally can not counterpick this character because they can switch their moveset at the character select screen AND mid-game.

How is it fair that a character has an unlimited counterpicking ability. How can the meta adapt and optimise the neutral flowchart punish windows? HOW

This one time, I played against this experiment-gone-wrong of a character in tournament and I lost. What more proof do you need?

It's no wonder the game died competitively when nonsense like this was allowed to exist.
Don't repeat the same mistakes with Ryu

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Ryu has multiple variations of his specials - BANNED.
Roy can OHKO with a fully charged Neutral Special - BANNED.
Duck Hunt has too many projectiles - BANNED.
Rosalina has her own puppet character to combo with - BANNED.
Shulk gets a ban! Diddy gets a ban! EVERYBODY GETS A BAN! :p

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Whoa, hold on there. Palutena can jump into Roy's OHKO and Counter it, OHKO'ing HIM instead.

We can't have that. Palutena is the one who needs to be banned before we talk about getting rid of Roy!

Top Bottom