• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not a Tier List: Montage's Character ratings: New Info: Meta, Sonic, Snake, Lucario

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianM

Smash Journeyman
From what i have seen diddy is actually really bad. I dont see what you are talking about. I just see a diddy fan-boy a lil over excited. I know Ganondorf seems bad, but he isnt as bad as Yoshi, I diagree with luigi, he seems rather unchanged. slightly better, but still pretty bad. Worse than mario. Samus is not worth an 8. At least not with knowledge of current techs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ7t-2DY_x0

No.

Skalor

Smash Apprentice
Good guide, obviously opinions differ by person but this gives me some idea.

Link was my main, and if he is one of the worst like this guide says i'll be very dissapointed, however atleast I have Toon Link who still seems pretty cool. I think i want to play Pit, Wolf and Ike the most.

I can see myself getting a new main in Brawl, im sure Wifi Mode will help me decide.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Aww man, please don't let this become a reality.

I was seriously hoping for Diddy to not be the next overused character like Fox. :(

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
Umm... this may just be me, but this seems biased..........especially when NOBODY has ANY right to rate the characters unless you live in Japan and have played the game or imported it. Seriously guys, it's called PLAY-ING THE GAME!! Sure, everybody wants their character to be good or whatever, but you have NO right deciding which characters are good based off of videos. I mean, you can get a small idea, but I gaurantee that alot of the characters are better than they seem, and/or will get better with years as the metagame broadens. STOP DEBATING CHARACTERS UNLESS YOU HAVE PLAYED THE GAME!!! And still only then if you have put massive time into EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER, which is impossible since it hasn't even been out for a week, let alone in the hands of any country except Japan.

TC.HAS.THE.GAME.

draigaran

Smash Apprentice
Sheik 8/10? I thought she lost most of her KO moves. But if she's still that good, w00t for me...

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Don't be discouraged from playing characters. these are early impressions. :D

Albeit, she's not much of a ninja anymore.

draigaran

Smash Apprentice
lol true true. I guess there's no use in not playing Sheik, since she is my favorite after all :b.

TheLetterJ

Smash Cadet
Does everyone from your crew live in your general area? Also any sonic players in Montage?

dmbrandon

Smash Master

sirmackerel

Smash Apprentice
dmbrandon, could you elaborate on the "0 to death" combos that you alluded to in Toon Link's updated rating?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Wing canceling is not helpful to anyone playing against someone who understand shielding.

As for the noir thing, I'll talk to him about it.
Have you never seen double jump canceling?! It's basically the same thing. Double Jump Canceling was essential for Ness.

Pit has a good bair. It's one of his kill moves when sweetspotted. Wing Canceling will let him use that bair at ground level. Isn't that something worth mentioning?

What's the actual downside that makes it any different than DJC?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Olimar 8/10? WOOT!
Woot. And "He scares me" made me happy. Sounds like he's even better and more awesome than I thought. And thats saying something.

And the Toon Link and Diddy comments also made me love them more. I have my first 3 mains folks.

Well, I already knew they were, but these comments cement it. yay.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
I think Yoshi has been buffed a lot. I think he don't deserve a thrre... but a 4.5 yes.

All their aerial attacks (these with almost no lag) have increased range

And the up b is good again (at least, i used it in melee...(no for recovering, instead for mindgaming))

And, before i forgot, his smashes makes yoshi like ness, in terms of head size... same with his tail.

Edit: lol, my other 2 favs characters (olimar and toon link) has insanely marks :D... well 2/3, not bad. Yoshi will be my second

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Umm... this may just be me, but this seems biased..........especially when NOBODY has ANY right to rate the characters unless you live in Japan and have played the game or imported it. Seriously guys, it's called PLAY-ING THE GAME!! Sure, everybody wants their character to be good or whatever, but you have NO right deciding which characters are good based off of videos. I mean, you can get a small idea, but I gaurantee that alot of the characters are better than they seem, and/or will get better with years as the metagame broadens. STOP DEBATING CHARACTERS UNLESS YOU HAVE PLAYED THE GAME!!! And still only then if you have put massive time into EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER, which is impossible since it hasn't even been out for a week, let alone in the hands of any country except Japan.
I hope youre not talking about dmbrandon. He DID play the game. He's got every right to rate characters.Not only did he play it, he took note of the styles and weaknesses/stranghts of the characters used.

He can rate it all he wants.

Plus he gave Olimar, Diddy and Toon Link great ratings. More power to him!

Micahc

Smash Ace
Blegh, why is it both of the characters I really want to main have barely mediocre scores? Oh well, maybe Sheik and Lucario will find some ungodly broken technique that'll make them top-tier :p

There's still Wolf who I also want to main, so 1/3 of my characters aren't crap! :D

okor

Smash Apprentice
Good job, thanks for the info.

Gave some good input on characters I was thinking of playing. (ROB, Diddy, Olimar)

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Have you never seen double jump canceling?! It's basically the same thing. Double Jump Canceling was essential for Ness.

Pit has a good bair. It's one of his kill moves when sweetspotted. Wing Canceling will let him use that bair at ground level. Isn't that something worth mentioning?

What's the actual downside that makes it any different than DJC?
By the time you see the wings, you can be 20 feet away, man. Give me a vid to show me.

draigaran

Smash Apprentice
I'm looking forward to playing Pika again. I played him in 64, but dropped him in Melee. Bah, need to stop reading these forums.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
I'm reposting this in rank order if you don't mind. I'm not sure if anyone did this, but I sure as hell don't care. :laugh:

Marth:
Well god****it. He's just as good, minus the grabs. Best Air Game. Period. His smashes are just as powerful, and sideB has a place in matches now, regardless though it's not helpful in recovering. No further explanation needed. Again... **** it.
Rating: 9.5/10

Toon Link:Wow. WOP Bairs. High Jumping. Tether Recovery. Fast. Good Projectiles. TL is a force to be reckoned with. He won't die unless he hits a wall. He's light, and will die early, but man, he's everywhere. He can combo for a long time, as well. His moves just seem to... Link. lol Anytime someone picks him, be afraid.
Edit 1: Can 0-death a lot of people. Viable for best in the game. +1.0
Rating: 9.5/10

Diddy: (Mained by crew member: Ninja Edd)
Viable for best in the game. FAST. Strong, and has priority. Banana game keeps his metagame impossible to read. Huge recovery, and multiple, easy to use spikes. He is the new Fox. Straight forward.
Edit 1: With it made easier to grab items from the air/ground, the bananas can be used against him in the worst way. Has trouble with smaller characters. -1.0 (Trust me, it's baaad)
Rating: 9/10

Pit: (Mained by crew member dmbrandon)
My personal favorite. Bow game is too good. Both SideB and DB can reflect profectiles. Recovery is bananas. Can glide, and attack quickly. Moderate speed, and strength. All moves come out quick *** hell, and do okay damage. Pit is a beast in the right hands.

Wolf: (Main to crew member Space)
Scary as hell. Fast, powerful, and has decent combo ability. He can gimp with his shine, like Fox, and plays the ground with anyone. He's right along DeDeDe in terms of how hard it is to approach him. His Blaster does 5% per shot, and it's easy to hit. His sideB spikes, and his UB is like Fox's, but it's instant. Odds are, he'll be winning tournament left and right.
Edit 1: KO moves hard to hit on smaller characters. Easily edgehogged. -.5

Falco:
Note: There are no clones. If you haven't seen a video of him, go do it. He has a new moveset. His old combos don't work, but he has a slew of new ones. He can shtill shl approach, but it's slower. You can also SHDL, but only against a jumping opponent. His shine now boomerangs out in front of him, and does decent knockback. His Bair can edgegaurd better than any other move we've seen so far.
Rating: 8.5/10

DeDeDe:
Don't listen to other people. He's amazing. He took Marth's grab range from melee. He can chaingrab. He has a projectile that can star KO at 65%. He has 5 jumps, and a higher UB than Kirby. Did I mention that he's so powerful, he's broken? Oh I didn't? Oh, well then. He is god**** powerful. And quick. His tilts come out rapid fire. Lord knows a heavy character needs to be top tier, but will the Spacies let it happen? Only time will tell.
Rating: 8/10

R.O.B.: (Mained by crew member ChimpStyle)
ROB is slow as hell. While the slowness limits him on the ground, his UB makes him one of the best in the game. His Nair is prioritastic, and all his moves are high priority, good knock back, and good damage. He has a 19% damage projectile, that can kill... That disc is too fast. Beware the old school.

Olimar:
Ever see someone do 100% in less than 7 seconds without items? I have. Or should I say seven people. Pikman and Olimar are the warlocks of this game. spamming damage over time, and strong blasts everywhere. He's hard to read, and his UB can keep his opponents at bay. Honestly, he kinda scares me.

Lucas: (Secondary of crew member dmbrandon)
Lucas' Dair is nonsense. His PK FIRE comes out fast and does huge knockback. His nuetral B is easy to land, and powerful. His Fsmash is fast and powerful, and his Usmash, while hard to land, may be the strongest in the game. Also, he has the best taunts. No lie

Samus:
Bad: You can't do any attacks out of bomb jumping until you're clear of it. Tether recovery won't over lap edgehogging. Her Nair is nerfed. Utilt is much slower.
Good: Powerful. Charge blast is faster to charge. Can use the whip in the air multiple times. Fair is easy to combo into/out of. Dair is faster.

Ike: (Secondary to crew member Ninja Edd)
Slow, but with some advanced techs, he turns into a monster. Great edge game. His counter is no joke, and his Utilt is probably the best in the game. His costumes are sweet. (Whatever.) His Side B can be used as a form of recovery, and mobility around the stage. He's Much too fast to be so strong.
Rating: 7.5/10

Pikachu:
Hell yeah. DB can be spammed like hell. His Dsmash is the new Peach Dsmash. Rapid A attack edgegaurds like a Royal Army, and his UB is so easy to nail, you would think the CPU was doing it for you. I am pleased to announce that Pikachu is awesome. Rejoice!
Rating:7.5/10

Shiek:
It's Shiek. No needle canceling, but they stun more now. The whip is a tether recovery. her Dair spikes now. She's... Shiek. Without gimping, she loses a lot of her game, but hell. Burn down works just as well.
Edit 1: Under further review, her Nair, Fair, and Bair have lost some KO ability. Her Dair is only usable half the time. -1.0
Rating: 7/10

Luigi:
Maybe the most improved. He's a beast. Faster, Stronger, and way more able to combo. Not much lag on landing, so big step over those laggy characters. Without L-canceling, luigi seems more viable for a 1st place finish in a tournament.

Fox:
I'm sick of the **** spacies taking spots on the top tiers of smash. Fox is bowerful, and fast. His new blaster does more damage and it's faster. He still has his Dair Shine, even qithout L-canceling. You can still shine people off the edge, over and over. His Usmash is nerfed, but he has Falco's Fsmash from melee. (power included.) His UB got ze nerf a bit, but the sideB is longer. With time, I'm sure he'll be the best in the game. he always is. v_v
Rating 7/10

Captain Falcon:
Without l-canceling, he's just sad. He's knee's sweet spot has a smaller hitbox, and he Dain no longer spikes. His speed was taken down to give Sonic the limelight. IMO, he's too slow to match his melee counterpart in anyway. Nothing about him got better, that I've seen, except the gentleman is easy as pie. As I've said before: Shame.
Edit 1: Caps Uair has no lag upon landing, and ith the addition of his Usmash being KO material, and hyphen smashing, caps combo ability has become majorly apparent. +2.0!

Pokemon Trainer:
Squirtle: Hangs with diddy in speed and priority. Good recovery, and easy to handle. Lightweight, and low power make him a little less than what he could be.
Rating: 7.5/10
Ivysaur: Easy to handle, and powerful. Strong keep-away ability, and good ko power. Bad priority, and hard to grab with.
Charizard: Strong and combos are nasty as hell. Okay priority, but slow in the air without gliding, and up is easily gimped.
Rating: 6.5/10

Peach:
Balanced as hell. Float Canceling is still around, but her ground moves have gotten a bit of a nerf. Her ^tilt is fantastic now, and her SideB seems usable in combat! Turnip are not as good, as they disappear if they hit shields. Downsmash is the biggest nerf in this game.

Mr. Game & Watch:
He lost his parachute. His main form of KO is gone. ugh. Other than that, He's the same old G&W. Same strength and awesome combo ability, but without l-canceling, it makes the box harder to use. His new Nair doesn't have a lot of knockback, but it does decent damage. The bucket spill does better damage and knockback. On a fun note: sausage/bacon debate can stop, because he's throwing chicken legs, bacon, potatoes and a whole mess of other things at you. <3

Metaknight:
Man, he looks cool. Keyword: looks. He's fast, and his combos are nuts, but he lacks the ability to KO. Only his Dsmash, Glide attack, and UB seem to get it done, and they're hard to land. One of the best teammates, hands down. His B moves all send him into falling state, which harms him greatly. Plays like 64 jiggz a bit, but without the rest.

Mario:
Mario's attacks are weak, and hard to connect. His cape can still be used for recovery, while the downB(Now Va.) is not as helpful. His fireballs are better, and he's a bit faster. All around, a downgrade.
Edit 1: Mario's Cape seems to have a unnoticed, almost invisible longer range. This give the ability to dodge more smash attacks. But with the addition of multiple airdodges, it's not as important. His natural combo works well with jabcanceling into the cape, but if powershielded, he will get grabbed. +1.0
Edit 2: Ariel moves have great comboing ability, and fludd is good for edge gaurding. Still not as much potential as Luigi. +1.0
Rating: 6/10

Zelda:
BETTER! Oh god, it's like she's a character now. Din's Fire is ****ing massive, and Forore's Wind is much easier to manage. Her attacks combo better, and her up-air is useful as hell now. Her kick is harder to sweetspot, and Naryu's Love is Smaller than she is, but trust me, she's better. Her DB is no longer the best move in the game. lolz

Lucario:
Mewtwo did it with a monk, and had a baby. That baby is wacky as hell, and shoots beams. His name? Yamcha. I mean Lucario. Great air game, but smashes are not as good as most others. UB is fast and useful, and his DB is a counter that does decent damage. His moves stop the inertia of the character, and makes him hard to approach. His low KO ability, and smash range weaken him, but still playable.
Edit 1: The more damage done to Lucario, the Stronger his moves! + .5 (Credit to Wolf Pup)

Jigglypuff:
Rest? I don't think so. It doesn't even kill at 50% anymore. It does, however, add a lip's stick flower to do extra damage. WOP has been nerfed slightly, and he smashes gained a new startup lag. Sing's range has been increased. I'm saddened by the new puff, as she seems outmatched in high end competitive singles.

Zero-Suit Samus (ZSS):
Weak. Moves have low priority. Only has tether recovery, so she gets edgehogged easily. Her Dair stuns, but only in front, and with small range. Neutral B's range is terrrrrrible. She does have good comboing ability, and she's flashy, but overall, she's fun, but not overly useful.
Rather 5/10

Link:
Link is much faster, but all your safe, normal Melee combos are gone. Back air is weak, and not good for comboing, while his fair is fast and has no landing lag. His boomerang doesn't do damage on the way back, only drags them towards you. This is a mixed blessing. They don't get stunned. They just hurt you. It's a shame. UpB is nerfed, and he dies a lot earlier than other characters. Hookshot comes out faster, but it's short, and more lag if you miss.
Rating: 5/10

Bowser:
Faster. A lot faster. UpB is still gross as hell, but without l-canceling, you have to make sure you hit every move. If you miss, prepare to get punished. Tilt attacks seem stonger, and the upair is a lot more rewarding when you land it.
Rating: 4/10

DK:
Improved. Fast, still strong. The probelm is, people stay alive for a lot longer, so donkey kong's Uair won't be comboing to death. Just don't play with Final Smashes on. His is the worst.

Wario:
Master of DI. He's fast, and moderately strong. Lack of a good moveset makes him somewhat unplayable. A lot of KO moves. gooood in teams.

IceClimbers:
Possible the strongest in the game. Slow, and hard to keep together/desynch properly. Without WD'ing, they're hard to get into attacks. No more chaingrabs means the loss of their major damage output. Side B's recovery has been nerfed, and it's harder to do damage with the UB. Nana and Popo can both grab the ledge now. (Thank christ.)

Yoshi:
Yoshi. is. (Still.) the. worst. All moves have been nerfed, it seems. Still no recovery. No DJC makes him to slow and easy to kill. Without DI Airdodging, he's a joke.
Edit 1: His double jump has half as many juggernaut frames as melee, however, he can use his UB two times. His Uair, and Bair have no lag on landing, and the Bair does pretty sick damage. The Fsmashes range was decreased, but it will ko at around 110% all in all + 2.0
Rating: 3/10

Ganondorf:
Without L-Canceling, he's just... Hard. Like Bowser, if you miss, you're gonna be in a world of hurt. His Valcano Kick has a suction effect in the front, and his warlock punch is faster. Without the extra jump after the DB makes his recovery terrible. Honestly, he's not nearly as strong as he should be. Shame...
Rating: 3/10

Kirby:
I do not play kirby, and don't want to. I encourage others to give me feedback. I'll take it into consideration, and maybe play him down the line. Sorry Kirby fans.
Rating: ?/10

Ness:
Sadly, I haven't given him enough of a try to give him a fair rating Give it a day or two.

Snake: (Main of crew member Space)
Snake is just weird. As we've seen, when you get him down, you're a monster. The sheer adaptability of his character makes him the most balanced to any matchup. Strongest projectiles in the game. Bad air game, but it's strong as hell. Natural combo can ko, along with any attack in the air, or smash. Beware.
Rating: Who Knows/10

Sonic:
From what we've seen, sonic is easy to play, but hard to master. You're gong to need more than three days to understand this guy. Easily shield grabbed. Has wonderful priority, and a great UB. I can't rate Sonic, because we haven't even seen his early potential. As of right now... He could be the Best in the game. Or even the Worst.
Rating: ?/10

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Hey man thanks for the reviews it\'s good to get an idea of what people are capable of i plan to try everyone myself but none the less i like the review greatly appreciated.

mario-man

Smash Lord
well jsyk, you don't have to get mad at me. I may be mistaken, but I didn't see you say that you had played the game. If you did say it then my bad. You should also REALLY emphasize the fact that this is going to get updated ALOT as you get more time in.

Also, I don't particularly appreciate you calling me "kid", but oh well. wutever man. peace is good. let's keep it k? lol

Realizer

Smash Rookie
First of all, don't call me a "ZOMFG N00BZORZ" because I have a low post count. I've been on many forums. I just joined this one after the leak floods stopped.

Second, I really wanna know why Link is gimped. Some say he is improved thanks to better projectiles, and I think his bow makes up for the boomerang because of its range. Plus, if his moves are a little faster, doesn't that make him a little better? I know Link wasn't exactly high tier, but he is the best in low tier, and he's pretty close to Ganondorf who is up a notch in tiers.

Kinda asking for alot, but I really wanna know why he is that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom