• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nostalgia stages or Upgraded stages

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
We all know almost all (if not all) stages from previous Smash games are returning.
Some of them we can see that had a good amount of work to make them look really good on the new version of the game, and some of them were remaked in a way to preserve the nostalgia factor, maintaining the simplicity of the geometry and textures of the scenarios.

That means that, in the same game, while we have some scenarios with this level of detail:

we also have stages with this level of detail:

And some levels that were remaked to look really beautiful:

Some of them were just adjusted enough to not look so bad, but still feels that are from games of generations ago:

I really like the diversity of styles in the game, but I cannot say I wouldn't like if some of the old stages had the same treatment of Fountain of Dreams, cause the new one looks very beautiful.
Actually, I would really like if we had the possibility to play the stages with two visual styles: retro and updated. (Maybe in the future with updates?)
They could even call them Echo Stages :)

What you think? Are there any stages on the game that you always wanted to see a new super beautiful version of the same stage, instead of just the simplistic remake?

In my case, I always wanted a "new generation" version of Hyrule Castle :(

Last edited:

Lodestar65

Smash Apprentice
I kind of like how they kept the 64 stages and no other stages looking the way they originally did.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I would really like updated versions of the N64 stages as alt versions of the stages. I like the idea of nostalgia, but nice remastered versions would be really great to see too.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
There are enough contents related to stages in this game so making alternate versions for 64's stages are kind of pointless. They do that on purpose since Ultimate is a tribute to the Smash Bros. franchise.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
It could be an option one can enable or disable through the settings as opposed to the new concept of Echo Stages. I like the layout and hazards of Saffron City, but I never played Smash 64, and to me it looks like a bad mix of retro design and modern design when you actually begin getting fighters and other stuff on there. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be a nice touch.

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
There are enough contents related to stages in this game so making alternate versions for 64's stages are kind of pointless. They do that on purpose since Ultimate is a tribute to the Smash Bros. franchise.
I'd make it like a toggle or a secret thing.like if u hold l or r or something while picking the stage it loads a remastered version or something. I get the nostalgia thing, but at this point those stages really look out dated and don't fit the games aesthetic at all.

Last edited:

Grevmak

Smash Cadet
Echo Stages? Lol, as silly as it sounds I can dig it
I would really like updated versions of the N64 stages as alt versions of the stages. I like the idea of nostalgia, but nice remastered versions would be really great to see too.

But seriously though, there's so many stages already and keeping the N64-like aesthetic is a cool idea IMO.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Echo Stages? Lol, as silly as it sounds I can dig it
But seriously though, there's so many stages already and keeping the N64-like aesthetic is a cool idea IMO.
It's a nice touch, and I think very old players will enjoy it, but having it forced upon newer players would not be the best.

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
I'd make it like a toggle or a secret thing.like if u hold l or r or something while picking the stage it loads a remastered version or something. I get the nostalgia thing, but at this point those stages really look out dated and don't fit the games aesthetic at all.
It fits with the ideology of the game.

Ghouls

Smash Rookie
I dunno, keeping retro 64 stages for 'nostalgia' seems a bit odd to me because what percentage of Smash players at this point actually played 64 when it came out? It can't be that many. I'd much rather have glorious HD updates of them. But it's hard to complain when we have so many stages anyway.

Jsmans89

Smash Rookie
Wouldn't hurt if they just had remastered versions of stages alongside the original versions. I mean, look at the updated versions of the 64 stages in ProjectM.

lordofwood98

Smash Apprentice
while i feel that brawl stages are not as nostalgic as smash 64 stage and etc. i want some stages from brawl to be remastered like this. as we could see many fan favorite brawl stages in smash 4 for reasons as characters leaving the roster.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'm actually pretty annoyed by the N64 stages not receiving the updated look.
I love retro games, more so than most modern games, but I'm sick and tired of seeing things from old games "exactly how I remembered them", nostalgia is so overdone and I would much rather see my favorite characters and locales upgraded with modern sensibilities...

I mean at least the shadowing is better but really it wouldn't have hurt them to make Hyrule Castle look something more like the project M verseion?

Last edited:

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
For the most part I think they should remaster the Smash 64 stages (Saffron City in particular, as to have the actual Saffron City layout in the background, but your example of Hyrule Castle, I think, would go in with the "remade" category, because it's already a pretty spot on rendition of Hyrule Castle in Ocarina Of Time:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Personally, I wish they hadn't kept the N64 stages looking like N64 stages.

One of my favorite things about Smash is seeing characters and places from old video games get beautifully updated with modern graphics. So while I'm glad the Melee and Brawl stages are getting redone, I'm disappointed the N64 stages aren't.

It doesn't help that I think the N64 is the ugliest Nintendo generation.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
If people want nostalgia, they should play their favorite game. It looks weird having characters in full HD fighting on stages with 1999 graphics.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I honestly prefer the upgrades, I just really like the way the pm updates look so much better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom