• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Northern Michigan Smashers?

LDSenpai

Self loathing ICs Player
Anybody on Smash Boards in northern Michigan? I live in Otsego county and it seems that there is no competitive scene anywhere!!! Seems like the closest one is in Ann Arbor but that is a long ways away, anybody in this area (Northern lower peninsula or little bit in the UP) and know of any scenes or tournaments?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Hey fellow Up Norther! I recently moved up to Traverse City from downstate. It seems there aren't many smashers around the area. TC would be the best bet for any tournaments just cause it is the biggest area. I bet there are also some in Grand Rapids but that is a little ways also. I'll add you on 3DS cause thats all I play on right now.

I did see a tournament that they had in TC a few years ago but I haven't found anything else. Maybe there will be some in the future.

LDSenpai

Self loathing ICs Player
Maybe if we can find other Smashers we could hold a tourney, lol, well anyways I'll add you on 3ds tomorrow and maybe we can play sometime. :D

Brionac23

Smash Rookie
Hey, just saw this post. I don't live up there, but I'm in the eastern UP often and I'm probably going to go to college up there next year. I would love to play pretty much any smash, I don't know of anyone else in the UP who plays

LDSenpai

Self loathing ICs Player
Where do you plan to go to college, NMU? It was one of the colleges I was thinking about, though I am starting off with community college, saves a lot of money. I plan to transfer somewhere, not entirely sure where though.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
There's more than a few smashers up in these parts!

If we can get some more smashers to post here maybe we could get a small tournament set up sometime in the future. if you know of any other smashers in the area maybe try and get them to make an account and post in the thread.

Ravioli_

Smash Rookie
We have a pretty good scene in Marquette at NMU. Nothing really big, but still somewhat decent in size. I go to Northern and we have weekly tournaments and other events. Just made my account yesterday. If anyone ever wanted to drop by, message me for more details.

Last edited:

muchomario

Smash Cadet
Hey I'm also In the UP, Negaunee to be exact, but I go to the NMU Smash group. You don't have to be a student to go.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Nice! Maybe have everyone post there city so we can get a better idea of where the most effective place for a tournament would be?

Or we could have an online tournament where we play games then report the results, this would help since a lot of us are quite a ways away from each other.

LDSenpai

Self loathing ICs Player
We have a pretty good scene in Marquette at NMU. Nothing really big, but still somewhat decent in size. I go to Northern and we have weekly tournaments and other events. Just made my account yesterday. If anyone ever wanted to drop by, message me for more details.
Which version do you guys play?

muchomario

Smash Cadet
Yeah, this is for everyone, NMU student or not. We meet every Saturday starting at noon, and we goo all day. People are welcome to come whenever and bring others. If you have any other questions feel free to ask me here, or sign up to the facebook page and post there, you will always get a helpful reply from someone.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I wonder if we could get something like this going at NMC there has to be some smashers there!

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
What if we had a tournament in Traverse City during the cherryfest? It draws in thousands of people and it might allow us to get a big tournament going. If anyone would be interested post here and we can see if there is any interest in it.

LDSenpai

Self loathing ICs Player
What if we had a tournament in Traverse City during the cherryfest? It draws in thousands of people and it might allow us to get a big tournament going. If anyone would be interested post here and we can see if there is any interest in it.
That would be a good idea, we could also do one during Alpenfest in Gaylord, depending on how the first would go, because this is another big event.

lain

Smash Master
Y'all need to get that carpool action goin' sometime and come to SE MI or West MI :D We don't bite... much...

LDSenpai

Self loathing ICs Player
Y'all need to get that carpool action goin' sometime and come to SE MI or West MI :D We don't bite... much...
Would be game for that, though my parents (Still in High School, Senior) would freak if they found out I car pooled with a bunch of strangers I met on the internet.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Hey guys in TC area, there's a fine group of fellows who love to Smash up there! I believe if yo find rsr2 or Captain Rainbows(now turnip4what), they'll know the most about how you guys can get organized. I recall they had a small weekly going up there for a little while. They've since disbanded, but if there is renewed interest up there, you might be able to make something of it.

rsr2

Smash Lord
Hey guys. I am Randall from Mancelona and its awesome seeing this thread. I will post more when I get home because I hate typing on my phone. But NMC is a good place to start. The library host tournaments sometimes too. Finally the best venue to host a tournament at is the mall. $50 for a good size room with table and chairs provided and its like 10 feet away from the food court.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I'll have to check out that room next time I go there. I live about 5 mins from the mall so that is convenient

rsr2

Smash Lord
Yeah the office is down the hallway that is left of Subway. It is a great place but there is no internet ;_;

Loo E. Gee

Smash Rookie
I live down in K-Zoo, but I do find myself actually coming right to Otsego county a lot (I like the camping up there, very nice place.) I couldn't imagine there not being people out near Gaylord who want to play some smash, try setting up your own local scene, I can't really offer any advice on this, but I have heard of people having great success from starting up their own local scenes.

If you can't find people around you, you might have to do a bit of traveling, maybe to Traverse City?

LDSenpai

Self loathing ICs Player
I live down in K-Zoo, but I do find myself actually coming right to Otsego county a lot (I like the camping up there, very nice place.) I couldn't imagine there not being people out near Gaylord who want to play some smash, try setting up your own local scene, I can't really offer any advice on this, but I have heard of people having great success from starting up their own local scenes.

If you can't find people around you, you might have to do a bit of traveling, maybe to Traverse City?
I am not really sure how I would advertise a tournament. :/

rsr2

Smash Lord
Flyers are essential. Take them to local schools, Colleges, Libraries etc. Have a facebook event set up and invite people as well. I plan on hosting a tournament in Traverse City soon (Thinking March 14th)

Also Gaylord has a couple smashers that I know of but they don't play as much because they are more focused on playing MTG. Also if you guys want you can join the facebook group I have. It originally was for the local scene but I decided to open it and make for Northern Michigan players.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/259553334245953/

LDSenpai

Self loathing ICs Player
Joined that group, would those Smashers happen to play a lot of MTG at the local comic book store, that place always has people playing MTG.

Top Bottom