• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Northeastern Ohio Melee Rankings - Updated for Summer season October 19, 2015

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
It means hardly anyone solo mains a character anymore, which is expected given this game has been out for 10+ years and a one-trick pony won't get very far. Puff mains are more likely to do so because her general formula of zone/juggle/gimp/rest and inherent susceptibility to dying absurdly early (not by means of a gimp, mind you) is the same against every matchup she faces (with small exceptions like YL whom she needs to chase from awkward angles and Peach who challenges her blow for blow in the air).

What's hilarious to me is that Puff essentially turns a Melee match into more of a slow paced tit-for-tat Brawl environment while Metaknight does the exact opposite in the other game (extremely gay plank-y MKs excluded of course).

:phone:
False.
Looking at top 10 or so players, only Mango and M2K have multiple mains.
The others all stick to their characters (but many have secondaries they break out everyonce in awhile, generally not in tourney)

Looking at our scene (NEOH/pittsburgh) only a few of us actually have multiple mains as well... Most play one character with a secondary or two.

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
Omg slarts, you sounded like tony there for a second. Stop that right now.

I'm doing the same thing pree much. Biggest things are misclicks, suicides, baits and punishes. I'm learning to control my characters and simplify my game, but still maintain tech skill.

My Marth is coming back baby ;)

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
You guys have it so easy. Things that you can fix with tech skill/practice.

Currently working on how to try harder.

DTR

Smash Journeyman
LOL THATS WHY I QUIT PEACH. gets boring getting better

its nice to be able to see yourself improve. when i moved up the ladder towards before i "quit smash" and beat naka, flip, x, and the lake in a tourney i still felt like i was playing the same peach as before i was winning but somehow magically doing better.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I play the ICs
I have no idea how to improve with this character so I do a lot of tech skill practice and mess things up less.
Now Im trying to learn to CG puff with drthow->fsmash->regrab.
Its hard as balls.

Sweet™

Smash Famous @PennStateSweet #SweetNation
Premium
Sorry that I'm halfway decent at this game. I feel like I shouldn't be the epicenter of attention and criticism seeing as I've only been playing for a year. If you're upset that I can outperform you in tournament with my little playtime, stop complaining, step it up, and ****ing play better.

4% APR

Smash Champion
Can I like this comment? Lol.

Also Dempt, as you can see, I stopped caring about the list because:

A) even when I was beating sweet I wasn't above him.
B) Now that I've done TERRIBLY in the last few tournaments, I'm not expecting to be on here anytime soon, so the list isn't really a big concern right now.

Right now I'm trying to get better by watching tons of videos of myself and noticing how bad I am so I can consciously try to not do those things when I play later. It's crazy how much dumb stuff I do from 5 years of habit. It's pretty much because could get away with in 2008. WHY CAN'T YOU ALL EVERYONE STILL BE BAD THIS WOULD MAKE MY LIFE SO EASY. lol.
hate to say it man, but that **** wasnt working on me in 2008 either :111:

FlipX

Smash Ace
^^^

Ya wait a minute, who exactly was slarti beating in 2008 with these tactics? Only tactics I remember was him asking people to let him go to poke floats.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
LOL THATS WHY I QUIT PEACH. gets boring getting better

its nice to be able to see yourself improve. when i moved up the ladder towards before i "quit smash" and beat naka, flip, x, and the lake in a tourney i still felt like i was playing the same peach as before i was winning but somehow magically doing better.
ehhhh. If I switched to falco I'd just feel like I was doing better because of lasers. I feel like where I'm at with peach right now I just need to get smarter to do better, and I honestly really like that. I hate the idea of winning just because of tech skill, and I'm extremely fond of the concept of "easy to learn, difficult to master"

That being said, I have recently been seriously considering switching to pika Fox

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
It's nice to see PA is still cranking out some solid players and OH isn't exactly slacking either. This is exciting!

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
@ Eddie: I'm telling you man, you'd definitely get your step back by playing with us more. We're an interesting bunch; I think you'd have fun.

I understand the point of the rankings, and that some people treat it correctly. But because there is so much crap starting up because of it, I feel the cons are outweighing the pros. I just feel if you want to see your name higher up than everyone else, do good in tourneys. Idk.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
What is really just making me mad is that people who main characters I have a lot of trouble with like to post that I'm really really bad. You know, people who play marth and fox. I'm working on it guys, I promise.

It's like how for the longest time I thought Taric was the most useless champ in league of legends, because I mained morgana and just shielded the really slow shot every time.

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
What is really just making me mad is that people who main characters I have a lot of trouble with like to post that I'm really really bad. You know, people who play marth and fox. I'm working on it guys, I promise.

It's like how for the longest time I thought Taric was the most useless champ in league of legends, because I mained morgana and just shielded the really slow shot every time.
You're good at the Fox matchup, idk what you're talking about.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I'd feel sorry for any Peach main who isn't good at the Spacies matchups. But anyway, don't take things so negatively guys. Enjoy the fact that you're playing a game that is fun by default and doesn't require an acquired taste or extra effort to enjoy (you all know which game I mean). Salt will get you nowhere in Melee, only busting your *** to improve will yield results. I used to drill on all of my characters for hours at a time per day during the high school years. Granted, I can't do nearly that amount anymore, but you bet I was sitting down last night and practicing the **** out of everything I still remember and getting all my percentage-based things, read-based things, and execution down pat. Too much talk on the boards rather than time spent drilling your **** will hold you back. Chin up!

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
I'd feel sorry for any Peach main who isn't good at the Spacies matchups. But anyway, don't take things so negatively guys. Enjoy the fact that you're playing a game that is fun by default and doesn't require an acquired taste or extra effort to enjoy (you all know which game I mean). Salt will get you nowhere in Melee, only busting your *** to improve will yield results. I used to drill on all of my characters for hours at a time per day during the high school years. Granted, I can't do nearly that amount anymore, but you bet I was sitting down last night and practicing the **** out of everything I still remember and getting all my percentage-based things, read-based things, and execution down pat. Too much talk on the boards rather than time spent drilling your **** will hold you back. Chin up!

So motivational :3

Top Bottom